The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #951
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Does it translate to box office though?

Doctor Who might have a big fanbase, but you can argue that all those fanbases are a drop in the bucket for what a movie like this needs in order to be considered a success and people go to the movies less and less these days.

- CM Punk
Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #952
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Well this discussion isn't even about box-office. It's about gaining interest. The box office numbers will have little to do with the actors and more to do with James Gunn's directing and Marvel's marketing.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #953
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Here is what I want to know. So are the Guardians like on the run from the Nova Corp., the Collector, and the Kree? Is it like three different factions all want them for different reasons? Are the Kree working for the Collector or the Supreme Intelligence?

Will we see the Supreme Intelligence?

- CM Punk
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #954
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
They're slowly getting bigger budgets. Agent Carter had fantastic production value, looked like a scene right out of Captain America. But I doubt they'll do a Rocket short. The one shots are supposed to highlight secondary/tertiary characters, not main ones. If they do make a Guardians themed one shot they would probably go with some of the side characters like The Collector or even one from the mythology that isn't in the movie.
Maybe one of the girls Star-Lord hits on (Ti Asha Ra or Bereet).

Old 07-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #955
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I definitely don't think they're going to go with any sort of cast-based promotion for the film. Benicio aside, and even he is semi-debatable, none of the castmembers are widely known enough to make a big fuss about to try to grab eyeballs.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #956
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Here is what I want to know. So are the Guardians like on the run from the Nova Corp., the Collector, and the Kree? Is it like three different factions all want them for different reasons? Are the Kree working for the Collector or the Supreme Intelligence?

Will we see the Supreme Intelligence?
1. We don't know if they're Kree. All we know is that Ronan and Korath are in league with Thanos
2. It seems like they'll be on the run from everyone, Nova Corps and Thanos' faction
3. We have no idea what the Collector's role is other than predicting Galactic Annihilation and...collecting things. Does that mean he'll be against the Guardians? Don't know, he will definitely be working against Thanos' group though.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #957
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I sure hope we see the Supreme Intelligence maybe Thanos sabotaged the Supremor before the movie so he can use the Kree to his own ends and then we see the Intelligence back by the end with the seed that's in Ronan's universal weapon.

edit: almost positive Lee Pace called Ronan Kree

Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #958
Mr. Dent
Banned User

He was referring to the comics though. We have no idea if they're actually Kree in the movie. I have serious doubts they are.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #959
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
He was referring to the comics though. We have no idea if they're actually Kree in the movie. I have serious doubts they are.
What makes you think he was referring to the comics? I'm pretty sure they'll be called the Kree.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #960
Mr. Dent
Banned User

He said "He's a complicated Kree. Been around since '67." He's referring to the comics there. Moving on, it doesn't seem like Honsou was blue in the trailer: haven't seen anyone report he was and apparently he was so recognizable everyone immediately knew it was him in the trailer, and the one guy who's commented on it here said he looked like he normally does with some raised make-up on.

Furthermore, it's clear they're connected to Thanos. The only time Ronan has been connected to Thanos is in the Ultimate comics, and he was not a Kree there.

Finally, I'm starting to really think the Kree are in a situation where Marvel can use certain Kree characters but can't actually refer to them as Kree, same with the Skrulls. Feige has said they chose the name Chitauri in the Avengers because they couldn't use the name Skrulls (or rather he said that was one part of the reason), but that the Skrulls had a little bit of the Maximoff situation in them. After seeing how Marvel are able to use Ronan and Korath, it made me think what if the "little bit of the same situation" is being able to use characters who are Skrulls/Kree in the comics but not being able to call them as such, like they can use the Maximoffs but can't refer to them as mutants.

It all adds up and it sucks.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #961
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Lee Pace saying he's been around since 67 doesn't mean anything, and Poni Boy said it was too dark to say if he was blue. I'm still going with them being Kree if they're not its going to be a huge bummer.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #962
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It is but I'm leaning towards them not being Kree.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #963
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Serious question - does it really matter if Ronan & Korath aren't referred to as Kree during this movie? I'm not familiar at all with many of the characters in GOTG, so is there any reason their race needs to be touched upon here? I understand it's important when it comes to tying in characters like Captain Marvel, Kree vs. Skrulls & so on, but I'm under the impression that the names of alien races aren't a huge part of this movie - it's more that the Guardians are being chased by all parties.

Plus, there's always a chance that FF rights could revert in the next couple years which would then allow them to explore the backstory of these characters, including calling them Kree.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #964
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Finally, I'm starting to really think the Kree are in a situation where Marvel can use certain Kree characters but can't actually refer to them as Kree, same with the Skrulls. Feige has said they chose the name Chitauri in the Avengers because they couldn't use the name Skrulls (or rather he said that was one part of the reason), but that the Skrulls had a little bit of the Maximoff situation in them. After seeing how Marvel are able to use Ronan and Korath, it made me think what if the "little bit of the same situation" is being able to use characters who are Skrulls/Kree in the comics but not being able to call them as such, like they can use the Maximoffs but can't refer to them as mutants.
I don't remember that at all. Only thing I remember being said was the Super Skrull was off limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
Plus, there's always a chance that FF rights could revert in the next couple years which would then allow them to explore the backstory of these characters, including calling them Kree.
FF is being re-booted and will be filmed in Lousiana. It's going to take more than a few years if that's ever going to happen.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #965
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

"He's a complicated Kree [pause/end thought] he's been around since '67."

Guys, c'mon they are Kree. Pace said so. You're dissecting into the comments too much. There will be Kree in the movie. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for these characters to be anything else. And you can bet the Skrulls will be at least mentioned too. They purposefully named The Avengers aliens Chitouri so that they can use the Skrulls at a later time.

And you have to stop thinking these movies are direct, page for page adaptations. Every single Marvel Studios movie is and will be an original story that draws themes/parallels from the comics. Just because a character didn't have a distinct relationship to another in the comics has no impact to the film-verse (rights aside).

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #966
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
FF is being re-booted and will be filmed in Lousiana. It's going to take more than a few years if that's ever going to happen.
Yeah, I knew about that... Even with that news though, I'm still skeptical. Until we hear more official word on casting & other rumblings on the project I'm taking a wait & see approach.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #967
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:

Doctor Who might have a big fanbase, but you can argue that all those fanbases are a drop in the bucket for what a movie like this needs in order to be considered a success and people go to the movies less and less these days.
Enough drops in a bucket fills it up. The Walking Dead is huge. WWE is huge. Star Trek is huge. The Hobbit is huge. Parks/Rec, Doctor Who are moderately popular.

Top that off with del Toro and Close who have big, A-list recognition and this movie has a very, very good cast as far as name recognition goes. I can't think of any other in the genre that matches it.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #968
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
Serious question - does it really matter if Ronan & Korath aren't referred to as Kree during this movie? I'm not familiar at all with many of the characters in GOTG, so is there any reason their race needs to be touched upon here? I understand it's important when it comes to tying in characters like Captain Marvel, Kree vs. Skrulls & so on, but I'm under the impression that the names of alien races aren't a huge part of this movie - it's more that the Guardians are being chased by all parties.

It's important to me because it means a lot for the universe as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I don't remember that at all. Only thing I remember being said was the Super Skrull was off limits.
He says it in the same interview he talked about Scarlet Witch's and Quicksilver's rights. The interviewer says something like "we heard Fox owns the rights to the Skrulls and that's why you used the Chitauri in the film" and then Feige says "well that's why we used that name..." (he goes onto talk about other reasons they used the Chitauri after that). Right before that he says the Skrulls are in a little bit of the same situation as the Maximoffs.

Quote:
"He's a complicated Kree [pause/end thought] he's been around since '67."

Guys, c'mon they are Kree. Pace said so. You're dissecting into the comments too much. There will be Kree in the movie. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for these characters to be anything else. And you can bet the Skrulls will be at least mentioned too. They purposefully named The Avengers aliens Chitouri so that they can use the Skrulls at a later time.

And you have to stop thinking these movies are direct, page for page adaptations. Every single Marvel Studios movie is and will be an original story that draws themes/parallels from the comics. Just because a character didn't have a distinct relationship to another in the comics has no impact to the film-verse (rights aside).
Marvel can't use the name Skrulls, that's confirmed by Feige himself. If Korath really isn't blue then I'm certain they can't use the name Kree either. I'm pretty sure Pace was just referring to the character in the comics, where he is a Kree. That doesn't mean they will portray him as a Kree in the film.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #969
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Fox owns Super Skrull because he has the FF powers. Not because he's a Skrull. Marvel/Disney owns the Skrull race along with practically every other Marvel Comics alien race.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #970
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

From Joss Whedon on why they didn't use Skrulls in Avengers:

"Those two aliens are Marvel mainstays and have enormous back stories. They have a big life of their own that just could not be contained in a film where I already had seven movie stars.

"The Skrulls...They can shape change. That's a whole thing. I've already got Loki. He's got magic. Once you got magic along with your Iron Man and your Black Widow...It's a real juggling act."

Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #971
misjuevos
I am Groot

not refering to ronan as kree is like not refering to captain america as american.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #972
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

People have too much time to dissect trivial things, to the point the conversation becomes silly.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #973
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I don't ever recall hearing Feige say they can't use the Skrull name, I'm pretty sure it's just Super-Skrull (or at least kl'rt) they can't use for obvious reasons.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #974
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
From Joss Whedon on why they didn't use Skrulls in Avengers:

"Those two aliens are Marvel mainstays and have enormous back stories. They have a big life of their own that just could not be contained in a film where I already had seven movie stars.

"The Skrulls...They can shape change. That's a whole thing. I've already got Loki. He's got magic. Once you got magic along with your Iron Man and your Black Widow...It's a real juggling act."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I don't ever recall hearing Feige say they can't use the Skrull name, I'm pretty sure it's just Super-Skrull (or at least kl'rt) they can't use for obvious reasons.
Read my post and look at that interview again. He said plain as day there. I even pointed it out when the interview was posted here a couple months back but no one picked up on it or paid attention.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #975
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

What post? What interview? Link por favor?

Closed Thread