The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #576
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
What about another movie with two timelines only without time travel? Like Godfather Part II... Y'kno we'll have James Marsden back and then it could like fade into a younger version of his character for flashbacks etc. Because I do agree it would be great to have a FC3 with young Jean and Scott as well as having both James and Famke return for their roles for another x-film.

Because if we have a FC3 and Scott and Jean are played by new actors the whole movie it would kind of be weird for the GA to go to the next X-film and they're played by older actors again. I mean unless they really want to stretch out the series of movies.
Ideally, I feel that Cyclops is dead, and he should stay that way, and come back in a First Class sequel that doesn't have to murk up the timeline anymore.

I know, I know, "time travel". But it still opens up another can of worms. If Cyclops comes back because of time travel, it leaves open the question of "what really did happen and what didn't really happen", and then everything in every movie in the series becomes questionable as to whether or not it actually happened or what didn't.

I honestly don't see them doing 2 parallel series of movies, in differing time periods, one of which is building off a continuity that is basically undone in X-Men: Days Of Future Past...

If they are going to continue making main trilogy sequels, they aren't going to undo events from that timeline.

In all honesty, I don't really see them continuing any main trilogy sequels to begin with. First Class is obviously the new direction they are going, and it doesn't really make sense to make movies alternating between timelines / time periods.

While obviously there's some "Avengers" influence in combining the 2 casts, the fact that First Class 2 has been in the works since X-Men: First Class shows what direction they are trying to go with the franchise. Which is another reason to just bring Cyclops back in the past.

If Cyclops can come back in the future under the guise of "time travel means they can change whatever they want", then they are building sequels off of a broken and no longer established continuity as it is, and they aren't going to be doing that. They'll just reboot if they are going to build sequels off of a continuity that they said never happened anymore anyways.

But Cyclops in a First Class sequel allows us to see him as leader of the X-Men, and allows us to see the romance between he and Jean Grey, and why she made the choice of him over Wolverine in X2. I feel that is a lot more respectful towards the character than just cramming him into the future time period and coming up with some convoluted logic to say why he didn't die.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #577
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate - Part 1

Quote:
Going back to a stand alone X-film set in the 80s could feel like a step backward.
It really would especially after DOFP.

So I find hard to imagine that FOX would release another prequel or a film set in the past when the last two films are set in the modern-day world.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #578
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Okay if they do another FC, it should have something that carries over to the next OT era movie. Like Sinister or Apocalypse or both. Because with the 70s stuff influencing the future stuff in DOFP and the idea of making a big connecting cinematic universe, going back to a stand alone X-film set in the 80s could feel like a step backward. If they fight Sinister and make huge hints toward Apocalypse it could blend nicely into another OT film.
Something like this might be the one exception to my adamant stance that Cyclops should stay dead.

First Class 3 could introduce Cyclops and Jean Grey, have a storyline around Sinister, and build towards how Cyclops is around in the future, with a better explanation than just "time travel, so we can change whatever we want without even thinking about it"

Then that could lay the groundwork for X-Men 5, if they are indeed going to make another sequel to the main trilogy.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #579
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Ideally, I'd like X-Men: First Class 3 to be based around the Mutant Massacre. Cyclops will already be a recruited student (doesn't have to directly reference X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but make some kind of explanation that Xavier recruited him), Storm and Beast would be there too. Jean Grey would be the new addition to the school. Sinister would be the villain, which could also introduce Gambit into the mix, as Sinister could have Gambit recruit the Marauders to kill the Morlocks. Sinister could be the scientist who is fascinated by mutants, and their genetics, and feels that the Morlocks are inferior, thus has them wiped out and eliminated. Somewhere along the lines, Sinister's fascination with Cyclops and Jean Grey can lay the groundwork for why Cyclops is involved in a future Age of Apocalypse story.

Tho admittedly, Age of Apocalypse isn't a story I'm dying to see.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #580
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

^ For me, I want the story of X-Men 5 to feature Mutant Massacre, Mr. Sinister, the return of Cyclops and as a build-up movie to Apocalypse. Then in X-Men 6, the X-Men will finally face the Apocalypse.

In my opinion, thats easier to follow than setting-up AOA in two time periods.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #581
Great Mind(s)
Broken

We know they're offering Hugh Jackman a 4-movie deal, I doubt they're talking about 4 solo Wolverine films. The way everyone is talking, Anna Paquin taking/making suggestions about where her character should go next, Bryan Singer talking about multi-verse theories and "fixing things" with DOFP, James Marsden saying he's up for another go at Cyclops... all seem to point the direction of changing history.

I do understand what you mean about "what did and what didn't happen" during the OT, but maybe they actually will address it in DOFP or subsequent movies. Maybe it's one thing in particular that we will all go "aha" with that will make sense as to why Cyclops and/or Jean are back. I don't think they're bringing back so many faces just to essentially "reboot" it with younger replacements in more FC movies.

Plus erasing some events doesn't really erase the OT from importance, because they all lead up to the Sentinel future that leads to the past that leads to a new future. I think it would be a perfect way to start a new X-film with the OT cast in more colorful outfits and stuff. Because if they really wanted to reboot the franchise they could have with FC and be done with it.

I also agree Gambit and Sinister should be involved together. We need some characters bordering good/bad...

Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #582
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

If the contract that Ellen Page signed up in 2005 still holds up, then she has 1 more film before FOX offers her to sign up for another contract. The new cast members of X3 signed up for 3 films.

With Anna, Halle, Shawn, Daniel, Ian, Patrick and the new cast members, who knows if FOX signed them up for a 3-picture deal starting with DOFP.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #583
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Ideally, I'd like X-Men: First Class 3 to be based around the Mutant Massacre. Cyclops will already be a recruited student (doesn't have to directly reference X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but make some kind of explanation that Xavier recruited him), Storm and Beast would be there too. Jean Grey would be the new addition to the school. Sinister would be the villain, which could also introduce Gambit into the mix, as Sinister could have Gambit recruit the Marauders to kill the Morlocks. Sinister could be the scientist who is fascinated by mutants, and their genetics, and feels that the Morlocks are inferior, thus has them wiped out and eliminated. Somewhere along the lines, Sinister's fascination with Cyclops and Jean Grey can lay the groundwork for why Cyclops is involved in a future Age of Apocalypse story.

Tho admittedly, Age of Apocalypse isn't a story I'm dying to see.
I agree Jean should be the new student. But would it be tied to TLS young Jean scene? I had thought if they do FC3 with young Jean, it would be a good time to bring back Emma Frost. I liked how she first came to Kitty in The Dark Phoenix saga to recruit her like Xavier. Could get a redemption story for Emma out of it. She could be working for Sinister and getting deja vu. Also call it X-Men: Children of the Atom!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #584
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
We know they're offering Hugh Jackman a 4-movie deal, I doubt they're talking about 4 solo Wolverine films. The way everyone is talking, Anna Paquin taking/making suggestions about where her character should go next, Bryan Singer talking about multi-verse theories and "fixing things" with DOFP, James Marsden saying he's up for another go at Cyclops... all seem to point the direction of changing history.

I do understand what you mean about "what did and what didn't happen" during the OT, but maybe they actually will address it in DOFP or subsequent movies. Maybe it's one thing in particular that we will all go "aha" with that will make sense as to why Cyclops and/or Jean are back. I don't think they're bringing back so many faces just to essentially "reboot" it with younger replacements in more FC movies.

Plus erasing some events doesn't really erase the OT from importance, because they all lead up to the Sentinel future that leads to the past that leads to a new future. I think it would be a perfect way to start a new X-film with the OT cast in more colorful outfits and stuff. Because if they really wanted to reboot the franchise they could have with FC and be done with it.

I also agree Gambit and Sinister should be involved together. We need some characters bordering good/bad...
Well standard deals for these types of franchises is always multi film deals. Just because people are talking about it, or saying they want to come back, doesn't mean anything necessarily. The studio is just getting it in writing in case they want to.

I mean, think about it though... when Star Trek: Generations came out, they didn't do it to make alternating Star Trek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation movies. It was a one time deal, and then they continued on with Next Generation movies.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other crossovers the way X-Men: Days Of Future Past is. Avengers isn't the same - Avengers is the combining of a group of various independent properties coming together. X-Men: Days Of Future Past is the combination of 2 generations of the same source material.

X-Men: First Class was the last team movie, First Class 2 has been in the works ever since, and while it changed to Days Of Future Past, the focus of the movie is still on the First Class cast.

While it's certainly possible that they are looking at future main trilogy sequels, I just don't see them bouncing back and forth between 2 different time periods and 2 different casts, and I don't see them dropping the First Class cast when the focus has been put on them for the past few movies.

It's much easier to drop the main trilogy cast, when their arc was covered in 3 movies and we haven't seen them in 8 years until now.

This feels more like a nostalgic passing of the torch than anything.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #585
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I agree Jean should be the new student. But would it be tied to TLS young Jean scene?
It should. Less continuity errors, the better!
Quote:
Well standard deals for these types of franchises is always multi film deals. Just because people are talking about it, or saying they want to come back, doesn't mean anything necessarily. The studio is just getting it in writing in case they want to.

I mean, think about it though... when Star Trek: Generations came out, they didn't do it to make alternating Star Trek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation movies. It was a one time deal, and then they continued on with Next Generation movies.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other crossovers the way X-Men: Days Of Future Past is. Avengers isn't the same - Avengers is the combining of a group of various independent properties coming together. X-Men: Days Of Future Past is the combination of 2 generations of the same source material.

X-Men: First Class was the last team movie, First Class 2 has been in the works ever since, and while it changed to Days Of Future Past, the focus of the movie is still on the First Class cast.

While it's certainly possible that they are looking at future main trilogy sequels, I just don't see them bouncing back and forth between 2 different time periods and 2 different casts, and I don't see them dropping the First Class cast when the focus has been put on them for the past few movies.

It's much easier to drop the main trilogy cast, when their arc was covered in 3 movies and we haven't seen them in 8 years until now.

This feels more like a nostalgic passing of the torch than anything.
DOFP will also be focusing on Wolverine. And the last X-Men film focused on Wolverine and the mid-credit scene hinted, the return of the original gang not the return of the FC cast.

And remember, the two characters that got the most focus in FC are Professor X and Magneto, characters that were in the OT. The only difference is the actors that portrayed those two in FC are different and younger. But the older version of Prof X/Magneto are also back.

In my opinion, this film will look like the return of the OT cast/characters JUST with actors/characters from the prequel, First Class. I feel like this is just start of a new trilogy with the main series.

And I feel like its easier to drop the FC cast, because they only had 1 film and their film was the lowest grossing X-Men film worldwide and it will be again, next week. With the OT cast, you already have Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus, they could do a lot of things with these characters. And what about if they resurrect Jean and Cyclops?

Last edited by psylockolussus; 09-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #586
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
I agree Jean should be the new student. But would it be tied to TLS young Jean scene? I had thought if they do FC3 with young Jean, it would be a good time to bring back Emma Frost. I liked how she first came to Kitty in The Dark Phoenix saga to recruit her like Xavier. Could get a redemption story for Emma out of it. She could be working for Sinister and getting deja vu. Also call it X-Men: Children of the Atom!
My idea for introducing Jean Grey into First Class 3 is basically to combine X-Men #1 and the opening scene from X-Men: The Last Stand.

X-Men #1 has the existing team of Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, and Angel, and during a training session, Jean Grey arrives to the mansion, all the boys go googly eyed and dumb over her, and Xavier explains the school to her.

What I would do is basically retcon the X-Men: The Last Stand recruitment, and reshoot it with McAvoy, Fassbender, and the actress that will be playing Jean, and have Xavier in the wheelchair.

Instead of flash forwarding to the Angel flashback, we'd have Xavier arriving at the school with Jean Grey, where he would explain the school to her, and set up some exposition, such as how he and Magneto are on friendly terms again.

During the tour, she would catch the attention of a young Scott Summers. Xavier would explain that Scott is a newer recruit to the school, and go into explaining what the X-Men are to her. Then throughout the movie, Cyclops and Jean Grey would have an opportunity to establish their relationship and build upon it.

Additional plot lines would be the Mutant Massacre, Jean Grey's powers and unknown to others, except Erik, him putting in the mental blocks that created the Phoenix persona, further wedging the divide between Xavier and Magneto.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #587
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
That "four movie deal" rumor was debunked a few weeks ago:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/1...eal-exclusive/

Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #588
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
It should. Less continuity errors, the better!

DOFP will also be focusing on Wolverine. And the last X-Men film focused on Wolverine and the mid-credit scene hinted, the return of the original gang not the return of the FC cast.

And remember, the two characters that got the most focus in FC are Professor X and Magneto, characters that came from the OT and their older version are also back.

In my opinion, this film will look at the return of the OT cast/characters with actors from the prequel, First Class.

I feel like this is just start of a new trilogy with the main series.
The mid credits scene hyping Xavier and Magneto was more because of timeline than anything. In order to set up Days Of Future Past, they have to set up the apocalyptic future. So they teased the rise of the Sentinels, which are necessary for Days Of Future Past.

X-Men: First Class focusing so heavily on Xavier and Magneto is two-fold:

1.) It was a prequel, so in order to show the origins of the X-Men, you have to deal with the foundation of the X-Men mythos

2.) X-Men: First Class largely came from what was originally going to be X-Men Origins: Magneto.

These things aren't so much because they are hyping the main trilogy over the First Class, but rather, because these are the foundations you have to lay for the stories you are trying to tell.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #589
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
The mid credits scene hyping Xavier and Magneto was more because of timeline than anything. In order to set up Days Of Future Past, they have to set up the apocalyptic future. So they teased the rise of the Sentinels, which are necessary for Days Of Future Past.
Most people didn't know about Days of Future Past until they saw that clip in The Wolverine and they probably don't know yet that the FC cast is back.

The mid-credits scene hinted to the audience that the OT cast will be back together and it will not just be Professor X, Magneto and Wolverine. So chances are, DOFP will be seen more as the return of the OT cast than the return of the FC cast.

EDIT: And if the official trailer of this movie is similar to the trailer that shown in ComicCon/Fantastia, this film will appear more like a X-Men 4 movie than a First Class 2 movie. And Bryan Singer already said that the film will start with Warpath/Blink, characters from the future/modern-day world, and I have a feeling this film will also end in that period but altered. Even if the majority of the film is set in the 70s, the movie will focus more on the mission of Wolverine/the OT characters and the fate of the future.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 09-01-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #590
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I've read on some forum a while ago that one of the reasons movie makers are reluctant to make Cyclops a main character is because he's a character whose eyes the audience can never see and therefore cannot really connect to.

My initial reaction to this was, "huh what", but I wonder if there's some truth to this.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #591
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I don't know if that's why, but I can say that as an actor, your eyes are a huge tool.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #592
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I read that too somewhere...about Cyclops and the eyes and whatnot. But for a movie series about "acceptance" and all that, to exclude someone because we can't see his eyes really is...meh not cool. I'm sure if we had a shirtless scene it'd more than make up for it! Ykno or just some good characterization.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #593
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Eyes are important. Maybe they need to write around that. Give him red eyes with something like contact lenses that hold back his optic blasts for non action scenes.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #594
Angamb
Banned User

the eyes thing is something a studio could be afraid of, but at the same time, that limitation could give a writer and director more reasons to give him a more complex and better role, compensating that factor the audience cant appreciate.

Since the actor cant express with his eyes, his words and actions are more important yet, so thats where the strenght of the script should be.

Sadly, they didnt achieved anything memorable with X1, X2, X3.

Some decent lines here and there arent enough for a character like Cyclops. He needs something better to make him shine and make the audience feels him and support him as a character.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #595
Great Mind(s)
Broken

How about sunglasses that are more translucent where we can see his eyes through them...?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #596
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
If the contract that Ellen Page signed up in 2005 still holds up, then she has 1 more film before FOX offers her to sign up for another contract. The new cast members of X3 signed up for 3 films.

With Anna, Halle, Shawn, Daniel, Ian, Patrick and the new cast members, who knows if FOX signed them up for a 3-picture deal starting with DOFP.
Actually Shawn had one more film on his contract. He was signed for three films when he came back for X2.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #597
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
How about sunglasses that are more translucent where we can see his eyes through them...?
This.

:o
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #598
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Eyes are important. Maybe they need to write around that. Give him red eyes with something like contact lenses that hold back his optic blasts for non action scenes.
Contact lenses wouldn't be a good idea. If he was out in public and had to use his optic blasts, he would first have to fiddle around taking out his contacts lol...

Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #599
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It really would especially after DOFP.

So I find hard to imagine that FOX would release another prequel or a film set in the past when the last two films are set in the modern-day world.
But do you think they will just cast aside Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult (and Evan Peters)?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #600
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
I read that too somewhere...about Cyclops and the eyes and whatnot. But for a movie series about "acceptance" and all that, to exclude someone because we can't see his eyes really is...meh not cool. I'm sure if we had a shirtless scene it'd more than make up for it! Ykno or just some good characterization.
Thing is, regardless of what the movie is about, an actor uses his eyes to express feeling and emotion. In the case of someone like Cyclops, any actor in the role is essentially acting with one arm tied behind their back.

I don't think that's why studios haven't given Cyclops a leading role, but it is a factor in the film adaptation of the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
the eyes thing is something a studio could be afraid of, but at the same time, that limitation could give a writer and director more reasons to give him a more complex and better role, compensating that factor the audience cant appreciate.

Since the actor cant express with his eyes, his words and actions are more important yet, so thats where the strenght of the script should be.

Sadly, they didnt achieved anything memorable with X1, X2, X3.

Some decent lines here and there arent enough for a character like Cyclops. He needs something better to make him shine and make the audience feels him and support him as a character.
Cyclops had plenty of memorable moments in X-Men and X2.

Unfortunately, you're right, not so much in X-Men 3, but the first 2 had plenty of memorable Cyclops moments.

Closed Thread