The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #251
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Like it or not, Superman and religion (as well as the Jesus stuff) has been present in comics (Kingdom Come, For Tomorrow, Superman For All Seasons) and other movies (SR). Maybe they piled it on a bit thick here, but it's not like Goyer just pulled it out of his ass.
Superman = Moses, makes more sense and that I don't mind so much. The religious overtones (or undertones) is something I was really hoping they'd laid to rest in the reboot. Goyer didn't HAVE to make such blatant parallels and could have left them out, I was really hoping he'd have abandoned all that and this was the perfect chance for it. Missed opportunity.

Kingdom Come doesn't equate Superman as Jesus or any religious figure but it deals with "religious" themes, end of the world and whatnot as told in Revelation. Hardly the same.

And you all know what I think of Superman Returns.

I just wish they'd let Superman be Superman for once "33 years old"...gimme a break ).

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #252
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Don't agree at all, she was fine in that scene. I was dragged in emotionally with that aswell.
She was very soap operaish there to me with her delivery right before she drops her head on Jor El's chest. I was only emotionally invested in the end fight with Zod and some of the stuff with Cavill. :-/ The rest was too underdeveloped for me, especially Jonathan Kent's death...it was too absurd for me to be like "oh no that was horrible!"...I felt more like "man, that was stupid...did they really just do that?".

I knew it was coming and I know from reading up to the film what the motivations were for it but in the film itself they were very unclear. Seemed like Clark needed some Captain Kirk injected into him to go "against the rules" and save his dad, damn the consequences, like a real person would have done. No child is going to stand and watch and let their parents die, especially Clark Kent.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-02-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #253
Project862006
Banned User

lara actress was phenomenal one of the best most underrated performances in the film her scenes really made me tear up

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #254
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
She was very soap operaish there to me with her delivery right before she drops her head on Jor El's chest. I was only emotionally invested in the end fight with Zod and some of the stuff with Cavill. :-/ The rest was too underdeveloped for me, especially Jonathan Kent's death...it was too absurd for me to be like "oh no that was horrible!"...I felt more like "man, that was stupid...did they really just do that?".

I knew it was coming and I know from reading up to the film what the motivations are but in the film itself they were very unclear during that scene to me. Seemed like Clark needed some Captain Kirk injected into him to go "against the rules" and save his dad, damn the consequences, like a real person would have done. No child is going to watch and let their parents die, especially Superman.
It felt very natural to me, she's fighting back tears and her heart is clearly broken. Fair enough though each to their own, it's a shame you didn't enjoy the movie like I did. Hopefully the sequel will be more what you wanted.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #255
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Glad to see my "Tom Cruise as Luthor" Idea is growing wings.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #256
StarLord
Legendary Outlaw...

I heard Dick Van Dyke has been offered the role.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #257
writer0327
Side-Kick

Jude Law and you've got a hit.

writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #258
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

I love the idea of Bradley Cooper as Lex.

Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #259
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
It felt very natural to me, she's fighting back tears and her heart is clearly broken. Fair enough though each to their own, it's a shame you didn't enjoy the movie like I did. Hopefully the sequel will be more what you wanted.
Ayelet Zurer's Lara is in my opinion the most underrated performance of the entire movie. It actually annoys me that everyone in interviews just ignores her part. I know it was small and only in the first 20 minutes but I thought she was amazing. Great believable performance.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #260
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Ayelet Zurer's Lara is in my opinion the most underrated performance of the entire movie. It actually annoys me that everyone in interviews just ignores her part. I know it was small and only in the first 20 minutes but I thought she was amazing. Great believable performance.
Yup, I love when she was holding baby Kal and said she thought she could do it, but now she can't. So sad.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #261
Disciple of Syn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I knew it was coming and I know from reading up to the film what the motivations were for it but in the film itself they were very unclear. Seemed like Clark needed some Captain Kirk injected into him to go "against the rules" and save his dad, damn the consequences, like a real person would have done. No child is going to stand and watch and let their parents die, especially Clark Kent.
Not to get off topic, but this REALLY, REAAALLLYYYYYY bothered me about the movie. I enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't get past the gripe that Clark Kent wouldn't stand there and let his father die if he could help it, even if Jonathan Kent wanted it to. As a matter of fact, I'm not really sure I dug the movie's portrayal of JK at all.

Disciple of Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #262
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't agree at all, she was fine in that scene. I was dragged in emotionally with that aswell.
I'm with you I really liked how she handled the role.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #263
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
I liked the movie, just not as much as I was hoping I would because it was not all that I was hoping it would be. My main issues with it were the dialogue and editing/story structure, maybe some of the story points. Everything else was great, including the performances.

But yes, hopefully the sequel improves in those areas. Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I thought she was good too, it was just her delivery in that one scene at that one part I didn't like. I'd have re-shot it if I were Zack and went with a different take. The rest of her performance was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple of Syn View Post
Not to get off topic, but this REALLY, REAAALLLYYYYYY bothered me about the movie. I enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't get past the gripe that Clark Kent wouldn't stand there and let his father die if he could help it, even if Jonathan Kent wanted it to. As a matter of fact, I'm not really sure I dug the movie's portrayal of JK at all.
The concept of Pa Kent feeling that way is cool, but it is way too underdeveloped for us (me at least) to get behind Clark allowing his dad to die because he feels so strongly about Clark's powers. Had they developed this more and really hammered it in it may have worked, there's too little of it there and it comes off as kind of....insane. I thought casting Costner was a great idea, but I wasn't too thrilled with the characterization they gave him to work with, it's a wonder Clark didn't grow up to be a meth addict. Long drawn out speeches always prepared like he's Obi-Wan rather than a natural conversation a person or father would have with his son (re: Glen Ford in Superman: The Movie "you are here for a reason.." struggles to find something to finish with "...but it's not to score touchdowns"....there's almost no down to earth dialogue that a character would say in the film, one of my biggest criticisms with Goyer...you can always tell it's something someone has obviously written (re: every conversation in TDK trilogy; they're like discussions people would have about the characters rather than something the characters themselves would actually say, which is dialogue, speeches do not = dialogue (unless you're David Goyer of course)).

And back on topic, Tom Cruise as Lex? Idk....while his best performance to me is Les Grosman, it's a humorous one, and I have trouble taking him serious as a "tough" guy or hardass to begin with, so I definitely won't buy him as a scary threatening villain. He's laughable to me when he's trying to be an action hero, like in Jack Reacher. Struck me as what he thinks of himself as rather than a character he really became. Lol. Cruise's best roles to me are in movies like Rain Man and A Few Good Men...when he plays those type of characters...and I will admit I liked him in the Mission Impossible movies, but he wasn't as bombastic in those as he was in Jack Reacher. Regardless of the role he plays though, I usually always see Tom Cruise. He comes through too much (not necessarily bad, I find him to be a pretty likeable person), I don't think I could really see him as Luthor. lol

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #264
Side-Kick

Jason Isaacs

113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #265
sef
Side-Kick

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #266
regwec
Shakespearo

See sig.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #267
sef
Side-Kick

Yeah, I know.
It's just a somewhat funny coincidence that he's been starring in a british TV series called 'Luther' for the last 3 years or so.

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #268
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Kevin, I actually agree with most of what you're saying this time around lol! As I did enjoy MOS, I did have a problem with some awkward scenes of dialogue. The first would be when Lois arrives at the alien craft research facility in the Artic (the comment about measuring reproductive organs...). It just felt like an unnecessary attempt at comedy that ultimately failed. Another seen would be when Clark is explaining his father's death to Lois. At the conclusion of the conversation, Lois makes a melodramatic, soap opera-ish glance at the ground that completely takes me out of the scene. I actually laughed. The only other cringe-worthy scene that I had a problem with would be the flashback to Clark's last argument with his dad. Clark's line about his dad being "just some guy who found me" seemed really against his character and almost unworthy of the film. All that being said, the movie was still very enjoyable (especially after the first viewing, it just gets better) and I look forward to the sequel.

golfguy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #269
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
See sig.
LMAO, you are so right.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #270
Supernewbie
Side-Kick

After seeing Man Of Steel I just had to post my suggestions for Lex Luthor.

Popular actors currently:
1. Michael Fassbender
2. Jon Hamm
3. Michael C. Hall

Actors with the bald look:
4. Mark Strong
5. Billy Zane
6. Luke Goss

Actors who may be "left field" or "out of the box" suggestions:
7. Jason Clarke
8. Cole Hauser
9. Kevin McKidd

Acclaimed actors, the "big names" on the list:
10. Paul Bettany
11. Joaquin Phoenix
12. Leonardo Dicaprio

I know it's a long list. Any one of those dozen above, I'd be happy with and could play opposite Henry Cavill well in a sequel.

But here's one who I think deserves a shot at playing Luthor, who I think can play scientist, engineer, corporate leader and would be convincing as a charming Lex with hidden agendas.

My last pick and favorite so far:
13. Josh Lucas

Last edited by Supernewbie; 07-03-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Supernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #271
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Josh Lucas? The bad guy from Hulk? (Talbot) ....he's not strong enough for Luthor to me. Too whiney.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #272
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernewbie View Post
After seeing Man Of Steel I just had to post my suggestions for Lex Luthor.

Popular actors currently:
1. Michael Fassbender
2. Jon Hamm
3. Michael C. Hall

Actors with the bald look:
4. Mark Strong
5. Billy Zane
6. Luke Goss

Actors who may be "left field" or "out of the box" suggestions:
7. Jason Clarke
8. Cole Hauser
9. Kevin McKidd

Acclaimed actors, the "big names" on the list:
10. Paul Bettany
11. Joaquin Phoenix
12. Leonardo Dicaprio

I know it's a long list. Any one of those dozen above, I'd be happy with and could play opposite Henry Cavill well in a sequel.

But here's one who I think deserves a shot at playing Luthor, who I think can play scientist, engineer, corporate leader and would be convincing as a charming Lex with hidden agendas.

My last pick and favorite so far:
13. Josh Lucas
No to Josh Lucas.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #273
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sef View Post
I dont know, Idris Elba just seems to be in everything these days and I think that would hurt the character. It would be like Liam Neeson getting the role

I'd prefer someone like Clive Owen who isnt in a mainstream blockbuster every year. Definitely dont want a big unknown though, Luthor needs some starpower

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #274
bjt
Side-Kick

some other names that I like to see how Lex Luthor:

Mads Mikkelsen:

Rufus Sewell

Vicent Cassel

bjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #275
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Whoever is eventually picked for the role would be the right choice. Thought the casting was incredibly spot on for MoS, the movie's bright spot for me. Especially confident in the Nolan crew picking a good onscreen comic book villain.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote