The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default George Clooney as Batman/Bruce Wayne

Waaaay back when ER was big, George Clooney was cast as Dr Doug Ross. I tuned in one day and saw him on the screen, and my first immediate thought was - that guy would make a GREAT Bruce Wayne. I had never seen him before or heard of him.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/images/...clooney-er.jpg

Of course, as all now know, Clooney did indeed go on to play Bruce Wayne/Batman in an absolutely terrible Schumacher movie, Batman & Robin. In interviews over the years, Clooney himself has acknowledged a few times that the film is indeed terrible; full of unfunny one-liners, one-dimensional villains, a very camp cast and not forgetting all that neon. It was the complete antithesis of what a good Batman movie should be.

But nevertheless ........................ we know that Clooney can act; that much we've seen from his subsequent performances and various awards he has won. And he's a very big box-office draw nowadays. And in terms of the Bruce Wayne look and style, he has that suave, debonair style perfected.

So my question is - was Clooney wasted in a terrible film, or was he just miscast first day?

I know everyone's gut reaction will be to write him off because Batman & Robin was so atrocious, but wasn't that due to the ridiculous storyline and the direction that the film's makers went in?

If Clooney had been given the proper direction (e.g. a more serious Nolan-style film), could he have made the role a success? Or was he never really suited to the Bruce Wayne role anyhow?

I'd like to hear opinions on this

Last edited by Morg; 11-05-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: hotlinking
elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Default Re: George Clooney as Batman/Bruce Wayne

poor Clooney was indeed wasted

in 10-15 years if WB ever decides to make a live action Dark Knight Returns, then bring Clooney back as Batman

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Milkman95
BvS 3.25.16

I agree, Clooney would have been excellent if he had the right script and direction, just look at From Dusk Til Dawn from his early days and of course his work now is excellent.

I'd have no problem with him in a Dark Knight Returns flick, but would prefer bringing Keaton back if they went that route.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
_achilles_
Side-Kick

They wasted him, although the scene's with Alfred and Bruce stood out for me

_achilles_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Milkman95
BvS 3.25.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by _achilles_ View Post
Those were good scenes, and probably the best of the entire film.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

I thought he was simply miscast. I dont see any danger in him, any kind of anger or disturbance. Hes just as far away from Batman or Wayne as possible for me and him as Batman was one of the biggest miscasts ever imo. Hes no Wayne and absolutely no Batman.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Even as Clooney has admitted, he's probably not dark enough to play a great Batman, but I truthfully think he has the talent, enough of Bruce Wayne's qualities to make for a pretty good Batman in a well-made movie.

If he had played Batman in, say, a movie directed by himself, rather than Schumacher, I think our feelings on him would be much different.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

He had the jawline. Besides him no other bat actor has had it since Adam West. I think if given a completely different take he would've been boss. Imagine him in Batman Forever for example.

I liked his "real" Bruce Wayne. The one from the manor, his public Bruce sucked. Val Kilmer still had the best live action public Bruce Wayne. He was still at that point in his career where he was bobbing his head every time he segued. So that **** was always annoying. At the same time his emotion in the scenes with Gough was very genuine. I bought it very much as a great Bruce and Alfred dynamic. Their performances in those scenes easily the greatest thing in that movie.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
He had the jawline. Besides him no other bat actor has had it since Adam West. I think if given a completely different take he would've been boss. Imagine him in Batman Forever for example.

I liked his "real" Bruce Wayne. The one from the manor, his public Bruce sucked. Val Kilmer still had the best live action public Bruce Wayne. He was still at that point in his career where he was bobbing his head every time he segued. So that **** was always annoying. At the same time his emotion in the scenes with Gough was very genuine. I bought it very much as a great Bruce and Alfred dynamic. Their performances in those scenes easily the greatest thing in that movie.
I disagree, I think Kilmer had the jaw thing going on in his own way, he had chiseled features, probably not a big stone-like jaw, but Batman is also very often drew with a defined jaw line like Kilmer's. In fact, Kilmer reminds me alot of the Adams / O'Neil era.

Spoonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Clooney didnt even play Batman. He never even changed the voice when in the suit and never acted differently, but its not entirely his fault. Schumacher said that he didnt want the hurt and angry Batman anymore but wanted to remake him as a straight on superhero, so...

Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Macphisto
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
He was still at that point in his career where he was bobbing his head every time he segued. So that **** was always annoying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdOsHnAdYI

Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by _achilles_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman95 View Post
Those were good scenes, and probably the best of the entire film.
Those are still some of the best scenes in any Batman film to date. Not before nor since has the love and bond between Bruce and Alfred been that apparent.

That said, I've always seen him as more of a Tony Stark than a Bruce Wayne.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Clooney has evolved so greatly as an actor since then that I would totally be game for him as a wiser, older Batman today.

Like Cain said, he was still in his bobblehead days, and of course the movie itself was a trainwreck. But his quiet scenes with Alfred are still as touching as can be within the confines of such a monumentally stupid film.

Wrong movie, wrong time. He was directed, like everyone, to treat it like a "cartoon." Given the right direction, he'd have been fine. And might have actually changed his voice between Bruce and Bats!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
Al-Pennyworth

I feel he was miscast. I am a big fan of Clooney, but I don't think he fits the Bruce Wayne/Batman persona. I see him as much more of a Bond kind of action guy.

Al-Pennyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
TX85
Señor Zorro

I feel Kilmer&Clooney got wasted!,Especially Kilmer(Not better than Keaton or Bale,But I feel he was very underrated!).

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
Gotham22
Side-Kick

Clooney could have a been a great Batman. I see Bruce Wayne from B:TAS with Glooney's Bruce Wayne.

Gotham22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham22 View Post
Clooney could have a been a great Batman. I see Bruce Wayne from B:TAS with Glooney's Bruce Wayne.
This.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesCameronOnl View Post
I thought he was simply miscast. I dont see any danger in him, any kind of anger or disturbance. Hes just as far away from Batman or Wayne as possible for me and him as Batman was one of the biggest miscasts ever imo. Hes no Wayne and absolutely no Batman.
Agreed. I don't think Clooney could have been a great Batman/Wayne under any circumstances. He's good in many roles(and bad in others). He is my single least favorite Batman/Wayne ever. He was merely miscast. Kilmer was infinitely better.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Agreed. I don't think Clooney could have been a great Batman/Wayne under any circumstances. He's good in many roles(and bad in others). He is my single least favorite Batman/Wayne ever. He was merely miscast. Kilmer was infinitely better.

Absolutely. He's neither a tormented or angry soul as Wayne, nor is he an intimidating creature of the night

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
TheWolverine
Newbie First Class

PHYSICALLY... the closest Wayne we´ve got.

TheWolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Those are still some of the best scenes in any Batman film to date. Not before nor since has the love and bond between Bruce and Alfred been that apparent.
True. Clooney's Bruce Wayne is arguably the best, alongside Keaton in B89, IMO. Clooney's Bruce Wayne isn't the tormented, brooding man tha he was in B89 to BF. He finally let go of his parents death and had a purpose to the suit. So I don't get the criticism that he should have acted like Keaton or Kilmer. His Batman is the worst, though. By far.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote