Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #301
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
ps. It would have been awesome to see how Reeve would have taken to the workout cavill was put through. He probably would have looked awesome.
Undoubtedly. Body-building did not break into the movies in a big way until the beginning of the 80's with the advent of Conan/Arnold and Rocky III onwards Stallone. And even then, it kinda stayed limited to the R rated action films, it did not really become a part of the general mainstream films.

But nowadays the standards are very high with every actor in a superhero movie trying to top the previous best physique. Snyder is certainly at the forefront of the movement, pushing the envelope with the representation of his heroes. He said that he loves creating male physical iconography.

With his great genetics and discipline, I think Reeve would have looked absolutely insane with today's workout and nutrition. And he would surely have had to do a shirtless scene also to show off the physique that he had built. I think Reeve's physique is the only dated thing about his performance, otherwise his performance remains the high standard for all comic book performances.

slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #302
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

If nobody's made the move yet, I think the time has finally arrived for a "Which Superman do you prefer - Henry Cavill or Christopher Reeve?" thread.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #303
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
If nobody's made the move yet, I think the time has finally arrived for a "Which Superman do you prefer - Henry Cavill or Christopher Reeve?" thread.
I'm sure it's being discussed in the MOS VS Superman:TM thread.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #304
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
If you are going to have a discussion everytime Cavill has a new hook-up, be prepared to be talking continuously for the next few years. The dude has come out in a big way now. Starlets are now going to spread their legs for him as if it were so many doors opening in Hollywood.

He'll have pounded 100 chicks before he is done.
From the recent reports, it seems like my prophecy is coming true.

slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #305
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
The best thing about Reeve's performance was that he portrayed absolute virility and confidence without ever coming across as swaggering or macho. That was the genius of his performance. He was badass and capable but also always nice and good, never douchey or smug or threatening. He pulled of a brilliant balance me thinks where he absolutely looked and acted like the powerful god that he was but always undercut with humility and winning concern for the people.

Cavill still needs to get there. Cavill has the face, has the physique. I think he slightly lacks in the acting department but he can always learn that. But I wonder if you can "act" confidence. You have to "be" confident to be able to fully pull of the surety of a character like Supes.
Well said.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #306
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I only kind of wish Cavill gave Supes a more deep timbre to his voice. When he said 'I'd like to speak to Lois Lane' it sounded very Christopher Reeve. I kind of wanted something more commanding. I just wish he had Jon Hamm's voice. (secretly wishes we could have Hamm do a one-off movie of the last days of Superman like All-Star or WHttMoT?)

Cavill was still far and away the best casting choice for this movie though. And everything; his presence, mannerisms, etc. where spot on.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #307
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermaxis View Post
Well.....

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #308
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I only kind of wish Cavill gave Supes a more deep timbre to his voice. When he said 'I'd like to speak to Lois Lane' it sounded very Christopher Reeve. I kind of wanted something more commanding. I just wish he had Jon Hamm's voice. (secretly wishes we could have Hamm do a one-off movie of the last days of Superman like All-Star or WHttMoT?)

Cavill was still far and away the best casting choice for this movie though. And everything; his presence, mannerisms, etc. where spot on.
Except....I think that kind of misses the point of Clark?

Superman isn't supposed to be super commanding in his tone. His very presence is intimidating enough. The point of the character is that he's more of a gentle creature despite his immense power.

He sounded plenty authoritative to me. In fact, I thought his gentleness in the scenes with Lois (I'm thinking particularly of the scene in the cornfield) was spot-on in character.

I thought Henry's voice was perfect for Superman. Deep, masculine but calm and gentle.

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #309
Audrey
Side-Kick

Oh Henry....I love you honey. I really do. But please, please fire whoever is doing your PR right now.

I truly believe that Henry is not just a beautiful man. I think he has actual talent. I think he could be a truly fantastic actor if he fostered his talent and focused on his craft and stayed out of the over the top celebrity/PR scene.

He should take a page out of Christian Bale or Matt Damon's book. Heck, he could take lessons from Amy Adams.

Really good actors do not have to play this game with the press where they "debut" on red carpets and then have their PR people release stuff to US weekly (::cough:: Henry and Gina:: cough: nor do they have their PR people then announce another staged relationship and then called photographers to be photographed. (::cough:: Henry and Kaley:

Henry...please just so us all a favor. Just focus on being an actor. You do not need to date an actress or "debut" on the red carpet or drop stories to US Weekly. Let the talentless hacks do stuff like that. Be above that, please. Be above that. Don't become just another Hollywood douche who is more concerned with how many times he's in US Weekly than the quality of his films. The real actors don't need to do that, honey. Don't do it!

I actually liked Kaley. She has an amazing personality. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. But seriously, Henry. Please hire some new PR. Love, me.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #310
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Henry and Kaley seemed so happy together that one day. How could it go wrong?

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #311
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Well.....

It's pretty freakin funny.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #312
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Except....I think that kind of misses the point of Clark?

Superman isn't supposed to be super commanding in his tone. His very presence is intimidating enough. The point of the character is that he's more of a gentle creature despite his immense power.

He sounded plenty authoritative to me. In fact, I thought his gentleness in the scenes with Lois (I'm thinking particularly of the scene in the cornfield) was spot-on in character.

I thought Henry's voice was perfect for Superman. Deep, masculine but calm and gentle.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #313
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
We just need this in gif form to make it better.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #314
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
He needs new PR like yesterday. I adore him but he's not getting great press on Hollywood sites outside of the comics arena where people adore him. Some of the stuff I've read about him has been scathing and cringe worthy.

His relationship with Gina already looked staged and fishy to a ton of people bc of all the weird "Gina will play Wonder Woman in Man of Steel" stupid rumors that someone from someone's PR camp made up to US weekly so now this PR mess with Kaley is just....yeah. Icing on the cake.

I hope to God he takes a few lessons from someone like Matt Damon or something. If he wants to get married and have children (which I believe he does) he can't let studios or PR agents dictate who he dates. I know there is intense pressure for these guys but he has free will. He's a 30 year old man. He's not some stupid kid. He can choose to make his own decisions and be above this crap.

I'm sure people have told Amy Adams over the years that if she ditched her long time boyfriend and dated a "celebrity" that she'd be in Us Weekly more. My guess is Adams really doesn't give two craps about that. Her work speaks for itself.

Contrary to what some people say, I really do think Henry has talent as an actor. I think he has growing to do but I think the talent is there. I think he could grow into a really, really great actor if he focuses on the work and doesn't allow his PR to turn him into a media circus in US Weekly.

Come on, Henry. I'm rooting for you! Just focus on the acting. Don't feel pressured to date a celebrity to be relevant.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #315
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
It's pretty freakin funny.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #316
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I love your enthusiasm, Audrey.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #317
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love your enthusiasm, Audrey.

Haha.

What can I say? I like the guy. I just want to like him as a great actor who happens to be stunningly gorgeous.

I don't want him to fall victim to the celebrity culture. It ruins people!

Be one of the good ones, Henry! Don't do it!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #318
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

So who's he going to go after next? Betty White?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #319
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Yup.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #320
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #321
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know right?
If they can't make it then we're all doomed!!!

On a more serious note, yeah, I hope he doesn't become a tabloid king
he has talent, he doesn't need this bad press, the headlines should be about his roles and not his hookups.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD

Last edited by Andreth; 07-12-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #322
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Yup.
Let's see how this one plays out.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #323
Athenaa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I wouldn't put one over the other. They both represent perfectly their verison of superman each in their unique way. I just personally feel reeve still has that "timeless" look that even in another 30 years will be hard to top but it was good cavill did his own thing as opposed to aping reeve.

I think Margot Kidder spoke most eloquently about Henry back in 2011 when she was asked about the cast of Man of Steel:

"My God he's heaven! ....wonderful as Christopher was, and he was wonderful and perfect, he was not exactly a big steaming heap of sexuality, and this Cavill really IS!"

Athenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #324
Andreth
Side-Kick

lol, I think she said something recently about how sexy he was, and she added "I'm a grandma but that doesn't mean I can't look at the menu"

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #325
Athenaa
Side-Kick

"Steaming heap" and "looking at the menu....."

Her choice of words is, uh, interesting.

Athenaa is offline   Reply With Quote