The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

^ Maybe a little bit of banter between Graves and Luthor. I liked how Red Skull let Zola have the car. Something a tad bid similar with Mercy would be cool. Or not.

I do want a scene in which Graves threatens Lois.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JangoNate View Post
Lex: What is it Miss Graves?
Mercy: I don't know...I just think he's kind of hot.
haha
they should really do it in the sequels.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
Xandrea
Side-Kick

I'm really hoping for some banter between Clark and Lois. We might get some more humor in the Daily Planet from Steve Lombard or Jimmy Olsen and Cat Grant if they are around.

Xandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Let it be an ongoing gag for the series!

What you staring at Barda?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrea View Post
I'm really hoping for some banter between Clark and Lois. We might get some more humor in the Daily Planet from Steve Lombard or Jimmy Olsen and Cat Grant if they are around.
Yeah, add some Cat Grant, keep Jenny, but make her and Jimmy cousins or something.

I still ponder why Spidey would go for Dunst when a young Elisabeth Banks is hiding in the background

Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Perhaps a scene like this could please the critics.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #32
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Keep it the same and just add Jimmy Olsen. The tone for MOS is perfect. The tone of MOS 2 is naturally going to be lighter with the cast of the Daily Planet.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0327 View Post
YES! That would be awesome! And she can have some cool, smart, sniping back and forths with Lex. That would make for some good humor and excellent character development for both Lex and Mercy. I'd love to see that.
I'd like to see Mercy Graves have some lighter moments butting heads with Lois Lane

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I suppose most of the humor in this one came from characters who already knew each other.

Clark and Martha "what a nice suit"
Swanwick and Farris "he's kinda hot"

But the movie was an introduction of the characters to one another. So in the sequel they will be more comfortable with each other to make jokes. Then throw in Jimmy Olsen and you've got yourself a much more light hearted endeavor. I'd prefer Lex not be a goofy goober in this one. Maybe sarcastic dark humor.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Fixed for Mrs. Marvel
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

But yes. Think how much more serious Spacey felt than Hackman, and I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of Otis.]

Add in Jimmy, and you can still have a Superman film with comparable amount of serious elements, and it would make the film several times funnier.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #36
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I don't think there has to be a "humor character" just include more moments from the last movie that worked. i.e Clark wrecking the truck, "he's kinda hot", even the clark x-ray visioning the guy behind the glass got a few chuckles.

It just needs more levity overall not one character cracking wise.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #37
Andreth
Side-Kick

there's no need for only one character to bring the laughs, the Daily Planet is where the fun is at!

Start filming a sequel already

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #38
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

They have a lot of options. They could make the fact that nobody recognizes that Clark and Superman are the same person a running gag. Clark and Lois could trade quips. The Daily Planet crew could offer some levity. Lex Luthor could deliver some dark humor.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
writer0327
Side-Kick

I want humor from the villain, and I'm really liking a Lex and Mercy combo the more I think about it.

I've always loved the character of Cat Grant. There can be some great barbs thrown between Lois and Cat.

So let's see...the tally for possible humorous characters to add to the mix...

Jimmy Olsen - definitely
Cat Grant - big I hope so
Mercy Graves - If they do this, Snyder has my undying gratitude.

writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #40
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I want humor from the villain, and I'm really liking a Lex and Mercy combo the more I think about it.

I've always loved the character of Cat Grant. There can be some great barbs thrown between Lois and Cat.

Jimmy Olsen - definitely
He might do them not the same way you want. how?

Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #41
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I suppose most of the humor in this one came from characters who already knew each other.

Clark and Martha "what a nice suit"
Swanwick and Farris "he's kinda hot"

But the movie was an introduction of the characters to one another. So in the sequel they will be more comfortable with each other to make jokes. Then throw in Jimmy Olsen and you've got yourself a much more light hearted endeavor. I'd prefer Lex not be a goofy goober in this one. Maybe sarcastic dark humor.
Off topic but I love the post in your signature. Thank you for displaying that.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #42
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:

Jimmy Olsen - definitely
Yep. Make MOS2 to be the slow-sweeping epic of a film about Clark as a human, the world's reaction to him, Superman helping on a personal level, a bit of romance, a bit of Daily Planet, a sinister villain who shows up randomly and causes chaos who turns out to be a henchmen from Luthor,
a meeting with Clark "investigating" Luthor on behalf of the Planet, and Clark ultimately knowing that Luthor's responsible, and not being able to prove anything or tamper the public's trust against Luthor. And more random flying scenes across the world wouldn't hurt.

So there you have it, a character-driven film with strong themes, a bit of intrigue, plot and humor, with a hint of tragedy at the end. And hopefully the action be sparse, but effective. I personally think Spider-Man 2 has a lot less action than the original, but the sequences are done more effectively.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #43
Kevin Smith
Banned User

MOS did have some humor, critics and everyone were just too busy absorbing the culture shock of it and it being different from what they expected to notice.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #44
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I have problems with the film, but I don't understand how anyone can say it's joyless/soulless/humorless.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #45
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

how about we have Superman turning back time or throwing a giant "S" from his chest?

that would have everyone cracking

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #46
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Bring in Jimmy Olsen and that should be enough.

Honestly, I call BS on MOS not having humor. It did have humor; just not the amount of humor critics want. Critics were expecting the same cheesy humor from previous film incarnations. It seems to me as if a lot of them are under the impression that you cannot tell a mature and serious story with Superman and that Superman should be stuck in the Silver Age forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
MOS did have some humor, critics and everyone was just too busy absorbing the culture shock of it and it being different from what they expected to notice.
I agree, anyone remember the impaled truck? I found that funny as well as Clark trying to fly. Oh and there's Lombard at the Planet. Having Jimmy Olsen would be great for the film.

Quote:
One of the major complaints was the seriousness of MOS, how it lacked lightheartedness and humor. I'm not saying we need to roll in the aisles; no one's looking for Jim Carrey and Steve Carell tyoe shenanigans, but a little more humor would be nice.

The question I have is....do we want humor, and if so, what character will we get it from?

In the TDK trilogy, some characters played off Bruce Wayne for some added light-hearted humor (Alfred, Lucius Fox, Jim Gordon), and of course Catwoman, Scarecrow and the Joker had their moments.

So far I've heard most folks want Lex Luthor in the sequel. And not the Gene Hackman Lex, or the snide Kevin Spacey Lex. Most are looking for the cold, calculating, corporate businessman/techno-genius Lex. I'm okay with that, but that guy isn't funny. And I doubt that version of Lex will have a menagerie of bumbling stooges to provide comic relief.

The secondary villain maybe? Bizzaro - I can definitely see some possibilities there. Not so much Metallo. I still see Lobo as a wildcard option, but I don't think others see any chance of that happening.

I can see Lois being that to a certain extent, maybe Perry White. Jimmy Olsen has always been a go-to guy for comedic moments in Superman. Within the Planet there are definitely possibilities.
Daily Planet staff would have some great humour. I'd like to see some banter akin to moments in Smallville at the Daily Planet.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I've said this in other threads but introducing Bizarro would jump the shark. A character like him or any of the cartoony villains in Superman's Rogue's Gallery just don't suit the tone. I mean the Snyderverse/DCCU is trying to make itself seem like a realistic world yes? If that's so well, speaking from a Science major's point of view, we can barely pull of cloning viable animals much less humans, what makes anyone think we could do an Alien where we know nothing about their genome much less our one? If there's any good secondary villain to Lex let's use Metallo and make him a possible lead-in to Brainiac.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #47
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Holy crap. M******* f****** superpowered aliens were gonna genocide our a$$e$, damn, roll out the punchlines

Jaxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #48
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
how about we have Superman turning back time or throwing a giant "S" from his chest?

that would have everyone cracking
or throwing Zod and his 2 goons into some smoke and conveniently forgetting that actually killed them

Jaxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #49
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Humor in a Superman movie?Unheard of.

Next thing you'll be telling me people are supposed to have fun at a Superman movie.Everyone knows doom & gloom is Supes bag.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #50
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if MOSII is just like the first Movie. I don't mind fun and lightheartedness, but Iron Man 3 was ruined for me, because they had an excess of it and now I just don't want to see it anymore.

Last edited by Nathan; 07-04-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote