The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #51
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

Having the so called "humour" that the critics were looking for takes so much tension out of the "threat" that the lead is facing. You just lose that sense of win/lose if it's been jokey along the way.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #52
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Thought the amount of humour, showed between character interactions, was just right for this version of Superman in this rookie run, this conflicted Clark. Which is why the army captain's "he's kinda hot" line took me out for a while as that brand of humour seemed misplaced in this movie.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #53
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Bring in Jimmy Olson and let him be the comic relief in the office environment.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 07-04-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #54
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

As much problems as I had with the writing in this movie, the tone wasn't one of them. I don't think it needs to be more lighthearted, although I doubt that it would make it worse either so I guess I'm fine either way.

I don't think I would consider any Superhero movie dark and heavy compared to what's out there in other genres though. Superhero movies probably compete the best in being entertaining action with a serious vein.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #55
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Bring in Jimmy Olson and let him the comic relief in the office environment.
We could have seen this if Tim Burton's vision of Superman was greenlit.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

There was plenty of humour in MOS. I think people wanted obvious in your face humour like some of the lines in Batman Begins "I gotta get me one of those", ”can you drive stick?” Etc. It was more subtle. I don't want that I'm not saying I don't want their to be any humour in MOS 2 but they don't need to go out of their way to make us laugh, its not the Avengers and the world they live in (that's not a knock on Marvel, I love the MCU).

Another thing is, I don't remember people complaining about the Dark Knight when that came out about the humour.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #57
mace1
Side-Kick

I am fine with the humor in man of steel already.In fact in the next movie they should have less.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #58
Man of Steel
Superman

Jimmy, of course.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #59
JOE

Fishburne.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Iron-Man: 7.5
The Incredible Hulk: 5.5
Iron-Man 2: 4
Thor: 5
Captain America: 6.5
The Avengers: 8
Iron-Man 3: 6
Thor 2: 5
Captain America 2: 7
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.5

DCU CBM Ratings:
Man of Steel: 5

JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #60
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

I don't get the humor complaint.
When I want laughs I go see a comedy. I really don't get it. We go to superhero movies because of the drama and the action, the characters, right? I don't need laughs in there. For me, those "funny" scenes in Batman Begins and Dark Knight for example, really took me out of the movie (like when the Batpod destroys the sidemirror of the car when the guy is picking his teeth, or the kids who shot fingerguns at the cars).
Humor is also the reason why I never feel fully invested in Marvel movies (apart from Spider-man), because as soon as it plays like a comedy it looses almost all tension and drama for me.

Man of Steel was perfect in that regard. It was no comedy, but I was smiling all the way through, since it was hopeful and fun, without winking at the audience. I really hope they keep that tone. There is no need to copy the comedy style Marvel does, especially when DC wants to differentiate themselfes.

Sure, the humor fits with Iron Man and Spidey, but Superman is not a jokey character, so I am glad there is not that much humor.
In the end I can only take a movie as serious as it takes itself and therefore enjoyed MoS much more than all Marvel movies, as much as I liked them.
MoS had me at the edge of my seat in the final fight and when the thing happened I was in shock! It was great! That can never happen in a Marvel movie, just as it cannot happen in a comedy.

So, no. No more comedy than in the first film.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
We don't want humor. Leave humor to Marvel.
I have to agree. I don't get this "need" for humor. It's like the "need" for a love interest in every superhero movie. I'm glad MOS had little humor in it, it was not needed. Specially because when humor was there, like in the "he's kinda hot" scene, it wasn't very good, as it's the case of many of these movies.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #62
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Jimmy Olsen
The Clark Kent persona.
And maybe Martha Kent.

The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #63
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
There was plenty of humour in MOS. I think people wanted obvious in your face humour like some of the lines in Batman Begins "I gotta get me one of those", ”can you drive stick?” Etc. It was more subtle. I don't want that I'm not saying I don't want their to be any humour in MOS 2 but they don't need to go out of their way to make us laugh, its not the Avengers and the world they live in (that's not a knock on Marvel, I love the MCU).

Another thing is, I don't remember people complaining about the Dark Knight when that came out about the humour.
Really? I watched TDK the other day and that had a good amount of humor.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #64
baerrtt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Really? I watched TDK the other day and that had a good amount of humor.
During the 3 occasions I saw it in the cinema most of The Joker's and Alfred's lines got the biggest laughs.

With Superman it boils down to the feeling that because he is, on the surface, a lighter, more idealistic character than say Batman the overall atmosphere of any story involving him should be...well lighter than what we got in MOS. I have no complaints about the movie's humour but I don't entirely fault those that have criticised it on that ground.

baerrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #65
writer0327
Side-Kick

I hear a lot of people shooting down the humor, but I think the reason humor is needed is to offset some of the seriousness. Balance is important in any film. Overly serious films should be somewhat balanced with opposite emotional moments.

This is all the more true in CBMs. CBMs should be fun for the most part; we're not watching the Grapes of Wrath here. And a lot of the fun comes in the part of seeing our hero use his/her powers to save the day or beat up the villain. Some of that can be humorous.

Romance is another way to bring in a little fun and light-hearted enjoyment in between the bashing up of alien villains or solving the villain's plan, plot or ploy. It isn't that you have to have a lot of interest or some complicated love story, but a little of that goes a long way, especially with characters that have great loves like Lois and Superman.

Humor is a part of our daily lives. I think its safe to say that people laugh every day. So going to a movie, and movies are supposed to be escapist entertainment, and not laughing at all or very little? Doesn't sound like a good time at the movies. Now I'm not advocating we get a Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock to drop one-liners throughout the film, but it needs humor. The best films have all splashed enough humor around to make the rest of the film enjoyable.

writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #66
JOE

I want more moments in the movie like the trucker scene. Show the gentlemen side of Clark more.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:

DCU CBM Ratings:

Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #67
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

You mean when he throws a tantrum and crucifies the guy's truck?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #68
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
You mean when he throws a tantrum and crucifies the guy's truck?
Cant believe I've seen so many people defend the scumbag in the bar

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #69
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I don't think lightness has to come from direct humour. You don't have to make out and out jokes in order to improve it.

For me I'd say a lot of the 'humour' that was missing in MOS was Lois' character.

I mean, that line about measuring ***** got laughs every time I went to see it, and that's just Lois being Lois.

More of that sassiness and banter would be great

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #70
Nathan

He should have just beat him up like Christopher Reeve did.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #71
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I don't think lightness has to come from direct humour. You don't have to make out and out jokes in order to improve it.

For me I'd say a lot of the 'humour' that was missing in MOS was Lois' character.

I mean, that line about measuring ***** got laughs every time I went to see it, and that's just Lois being Lois.

More of that sassiness and banter would be great
Definitely. I want the kind of Lois that flips off Brainiac.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Some playful banter between Supes and Lois is good. No one wants Otis or Gus Gorman to come back and hijack the franchise.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #73
tomoe
Side-Kick

I'm fine with more humor or the same amount of humor as MOS. I'm even fine with Iron Man amounts of humor as long as it is actually funny and works within the context of the movie. I didn't find MOS overly serious or dark either. I never though the Reeve movies were a barrel of laughs. Lighter in tone, yes, but lighter tone does not necessarily mean funnier. I don't think I laughed any more than in those movies than I did in MOS. I think Jimmy could bring good humor. Also with Lois knowing Clark's secret, I can see their conversations being funny too.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #74
JOE

I would have done the same thing only to the trucker instead of the truck. Then again, this board would be going nuts cause that'd be 2 people Superman killed in the movie.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:

DCU CBM Ratings:

Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #75
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I'm fine with more humor or the same amount of humor as MOS. I'm even fine with Iron Man amounts of humor as long as it is actually funny and works within the context of the movie. I didn't find MOS overly serious or dark either. I never though the Reeve movies were a barrel of laughs. Lighter in tone, yes, but lighter tone does not necessarily mean funnier. I don't think I laughed any more than in those movies than I did in MOS. I think Jimmy could bring good humor. Also with Lois knowing Clark's secret, I can see their conversations being funny too.
This is kinda how I feel as well. I still don't know what more humor fans seem to be saying they want. Do they want more oneliners ? More campyness? More sight gags?

I think what they're basically saying is they want MOS to have a less serious tone and a more lighthearted tone. But even that kinda begs the question of how light hearted they really want it to be. Something tells me if we get the light hearted , funnier MOS sequel that a segment of fans seem to want , that its gonna be considered too light and funny, and not as serious as the Marvel films .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote