The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #76
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Really? I watched TDK the other day and that had a good amount of humor.
Yeah but like MOS there's not much. My point is that people seem to want the humour to hit them in the face and you don't get that in the way these films have been done.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #77
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah but like MOS there's not much. My point is that people seem to want the humour to hit them in the face and you don't get that in the way these films have been done.
It had a lot more than MOS.

~SHH SIX~
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #78
Nathan

And even then, we had people who complained that the one-liners in the Batman movies where either cheesy, or just out of place.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #79
robot
Side-Kick

A little humor won't hurt...

If WB wants to appeal to the general audience, they need some humor... (just get a bunch of writers into a room and brainstorm..).. i am sure they can inject humor/light heartedness into MOS 2 without it being campy...

robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #80
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
It had a lot more than MOS.
Not that I remember.

Infact and I'm serious here cause its been a while since I watched it, can you names one if the funny scenes?

Last edited by BH/HHH; 07-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #81
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0327 View Post
I hear a lot of people shooting down the humor, but I think the reason humor is needed is to offset some of the seriousness. Balance is important in any film. Overly serious films should be somewhat balanced with opposite emotional moments.

This is all the more true in CBMs. CBMs should be fun for the most part; we're not watching the Grapes of Wrath here. And a lot of the fun comes in the part of seeing our hero use his/her powers to save the day or beat up the villain. Some of that can be humorous.

Romance is another way to bring in a little fun and light-hearted enjoyment in between the bashing up of alien villains or solving the villain's plan, plot or ploy. It isn't that you have to have a lot of interest or some complicated love story, but a little of that goes a long way, especially with characters that have great loves like Lois and Superman.

Humor is a part of our daily lives. I think its safe to say that people laugh every day. So going to a movie, and movies are supposed to be escapist entertainment, and not laughing at all or very little? Doesn't sound like a good time at the movies. Now I'm not advocating we get a Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock to drop one-liners throughout the film, but it needs humor. The best films have all splashed enough humor around to make the rest of the film enjoyable.
Problem is not humor, but the kind of humor that they put in these kind of films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And even then, we had people who complained that the one-liners in the Batman movies where either cheesy, or just out of place.
And they were. Having a joke here and there doesn't make the trick. Sense of opportunity and balance are to be considered also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
A little humor won't hurt...

If WB wants to appeal to the general audience, they need some humor... (just get a bunch of writers into a room and brainstorm..).. i am sure they can inject humor/light heartedness into MOS 2 without it being campy...
Sometimes a little humor can hurt, if it's out of place and takes you out of the movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #82
robot
Side-Kick

Doh Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Sometimes a little humor can hurt, if it's out of place and takes you out of the movie.
Did you not read my post properly?

I said... i am sure they can inject humor/light heartedness into MOS 2 without it being campy...

robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #83
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

Humor never hurts a movie. I don't care how serious their intentions are. Nobody hates to laugh, there's a reason people smile when doing so.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #84
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Not that I remember.

Infact and I'm serious here cause its been a while since I watched it, can you names one if the funny scenes?
The "I'm not wearing hockeypads scene."

~SHH SIX~
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #85
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Humor never hurts a movie. I don't care how serious their intentions are. Nobody hates to laugh, there's a reason people smile when doing so.
It all depends on the placement. I don't want any one liners to ruin any tension the movie tried to built up.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #86
johnrain
Side-Kick

Mr Mxyzptlk needs to make an appearance in the sequel.

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #87
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

TDK humorous moments.
-Hockey pads.
- Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands; and your plan, is to *blackmail* this person?
[pause, Reese looks nervous]
Lucius Fox: Good luck.
- From one professional to another, if you're trying to scare somebody, pick a better spot. From this height, the fall wouldn't kill me.
Batman: I'm counting on it. (Kind of funny in a dark way)
Joker: Arrrgh! Could you *please* just give me a minute?
Joker fumbling around the controls before he blows up the hospital (kind of funny, yet sick)

Okay, I'm running out of moments.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #88
king666
(‿)

I want some more balance between seriousness and comedy. A little less humor than the first Iron Man would be perfect for Supes, imo.

king666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #89
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Did you not read my post properly?

I said... i am sure they can inject humor/light heartedness into MOS 2 without it being campy...
As long as it is sarcasm.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #90
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Sarcasm is one type of humor.

Or have some situations or dialogue exchanges that are just funny without being over the top. Good example:

Lucius Fox: Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands; and your plan, is to blackmail this person?

[pause, Reese looks nervous]

Lucius Fox: Good luck.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #91
king666
(‿)

When the guy in the bar tried to push Clark, everyone in the theater laughed, but then the drama-piano song started and everyone was like "wasn't this scene supposed to be funny?". Missed opportunity, that scene could've been pretty funny.

king666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #92
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The "I'm not wearing hockeypads scene."
Yeah that was quite funny, first time I saw it I had no idea what he said lol

I guess the how about a magic trick scene was funny and of course on that same scene when Gamble says "you think you can just steal from us and walk away" and the Joker just goes "yeah"

I really can't think of anything else though

Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #93
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Yeah that was quite funny, first time I saw it I had no idea what he said lol

I guess the how about a magic trick scene was funny and of course on that same scene when Gamble says "you think you can just steal from us and walk away" and the Joker just goes "yeah"

I really can't think of anything else though
Okay, there might not actually be that much humor, but I can tell you one thing, I laughed a heck of a lot more during the TDK than MOS.

~SHH SIX~
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #94
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Okay, there might not actually be that much humor, but I can tell you one thing, I laughed a heck of a lot more during the TDK than MOS.
I guess I'd say I chuckled more at MOS whereas TDK probably had a few louder laughs but I prefer the subtlety in MOS. I don't think it's as in your face, not that it is in TDK so much.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #95
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
I want some more balance between seriousness and comedy. A little less humor than the first Iron Man would be perfect for Supes, imo.
I consider Iron Man to be the most "balanced" superhero movie yet. A real-world environment mixed with fantastic abilities, a character-driven narrative with a bit of a plot twist, a bit of flirting, a bit of tragedy, humor, dark villains but and an ultimately optimistic tone.

I wish more superhero movies took a hint from Iron Man 1. The sequels went lopsided toward the humor aspect, so that even the villains are over the top and rather comical.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #96
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I consider Iron Man to be the most "balanced" superhero movie yet. A real-world environment mixed with fantastic abilities, a character-driven narrative with a bit of a plot twist, a bit of flirting, a bit of tragedy, humor, dark villains but and an ultimately optimistic tone.

I wish more superhero movies took a hint from Iron Man 1. The sequels went lopsided toward the humor aspect, so that even the villains are over the top and rather comical.
Iron Man was pretty damn good as far as origins go but it really suffered from what alot of Marvel films do, the end fight isn't big enough. It just doesn't flow very well for me and it turns kind of corny especially when Stane starts spouting dodgy one liners.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #97
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is that really saying anything though? The Dark Knight did have a villain called the Joker who at one point cross-dressed.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #98
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Well, BH, the script wasn't really finished, and the actors had to improvise bits and pieces of the movie.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You can see Bridges thinking about what to say after the "cave line."

I actually think working from script outlines makes the dialog flow more realistically. The Sonic commercials wouldn't be as funny if a script was written down for those guys to read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #99
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Well, BH, the script wasn't really finished, and the actors had to improvise bits and pieces of the movie.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You can see Bridges thinking about what to say after the "cave line."

I actually think working from script outlines makes the dialog flow more realistically. The Sonic commercials wouldn't be as funny if a script was written down for those guys to read
Ahhh that's interesting. Its funny cause I always say I think Iron Man is the best of the MCU pre-Avengers films but its not my favourite. That honour would go to Cap but that's probably just because on more of a Cap fan.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #100
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ahhh that's interesting. Its funny cause I always say I think Iron Man is the best of the MCU pre-Avengers films but its not my favourite. That honour would go to Cap but that's probably just because on more of a Cap fan.
And funnily enough, I feel the same way. Iron Man was the better made CBM, but I liked Captain America better; the heart of the story spoke to me better.

We can always appreciate a finely crafted film, doesn't mean we have to like it though.

PacificBoy is online now   Reply With Quote