The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #101
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

^ It's funny, but I think Captain America has possibly the best opening of a superhero movie that I can remember. I feel like the middle section and ending really can't live up to the opening scenes of a lanky man in the streets wanting to combat evil.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #102
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
And funnily enough, I feel the same way. Iron Man was the better made CBM, but I liked Captain America better; the heart of the story spoke to me better.

We can always appreciate a finely crafted film, doesn't mean we have to like it though.
True

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #103
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

I think Clark being Clark in the Daily Planet and engaging more with other people will naturally bring out the humor in the interactions.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #104
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Yeah. And there can always be "secret identity" humor

Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #105
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ It's funny, but I think Captain America has possibly the best opening of a superhero movie that I can remember. I feel like the middle section and ending really can't live up to the opening scenes of a lanky man in the streets wanting to combat evil.
Wow, you read my mind! Love the portrayal of Steve Rogers the man. The movie started a slow descent towards mediocrity when he got powered up, but boy, did the beginning carry the movie through.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #106
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm not saying Man of Steel was full of humour but I think it had enough. Of course if the sequel is done a certain way and they want to use more humour then that's fine but I think people calling MOS are way off the mark.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #107
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

^ Yup, thought the amount and type of humor was organic and fit the moments for the tone the movie was going for - well, for the most part.

Loved TDK's variations of humor. You had Lucien's snarkiness, Alfred's oh so British understatedness and, of course, the Joker's loopy gallows humor.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #108
The Guard
Side-Kick

I like that most of the humor in MAN OF STEEL was situational, and subtle, VS an obvious attempt at a joke. Jor-El's bit with Lois, what Clark does to the guy's truck, the "so many days without an accident sign" during the battle, things like that.

I would think a sequel would have more sarcastic humor from Perry and Lois, and some unwitting humor from Clark, as well as Jimmy, and let's not forget Luthor, who can be funny and bitingly sarcastic.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #109
writer0327
Side-Kick

More TDK humor

Alfred: I suppose they'll lock me up as well as your accomplice...
Bruce: Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea.

Harvey Dent: Any psychotic ex-boyfriends I should be aware of?
Alfred: Oh, you have no idea.

Alfred: Know your limits, Master Wayne.
Bruce: Batman has no limits.
Alfred: Well, you do, sir.
Bruce: Well, can't afford to know 'em.
Alfred: And what happens on the day that you find out?
Bruce: Well, we all know how much you love to say "I told you so."
Alfred: On that day, Master Wayne, even I won't want to. Probably.

Then later in the film...

Bruce: Well today I found out what Batman can't do. He can't endure this. Today you get to say "I told you so."
Alfred: Today, I don't want to.
--long pause
Alfred: But I did bloody well tell you.

Bank Manager: Do you have any idea who you're stealing from? You and your friends are dead!
Grumpy: He's out, right?
--Bozo nods. Grumpy stands, aims, then gets shot
Grumpy: Where did you learn to count?

Bruce: You look tired, Alfred. You'll be all right without me?
Alfred: (looking at the Russian ballerinas sunbathing) You can tell me the Russian for apply your own bloody suntan lotion.

writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #110
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I like that most of the humor in MAN OF STEEL was situational, and subtle, VS an obvious attempt at a joke. Jor-El's bit with Lois, what Clark does to the guy's truck, the "so many days without an accident sign" during the battle, things like that.

I would think a sequel would have more sarcastic humor from Perry and Lois, and some unwitting humor from Clark, as well as Jimmy, and let's not forget Luthor, who can be funny and bitingly sarcastic.
I think if Luthor is the villain, his humor should have a sinister quality to it. He's the guy I would want to be played really straight.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #111
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

Lex can be a rich and unexpected source of humor. Plenty of potential there.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #112
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ True. Just as long as he doesn't describe himself as "the greatest criminal mastermind of his time" and explain his whole plan to Superman

Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #113
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
Lex can be a rich and unexpected source of humor. Plenty of potential there.
No. Just no. He is the villain. He is not supposed to be funny. He is not funny in the comics and I would love it if they would take inspiration from there. Enough with the funny Lex from the Donner films.

The only way a funny Lex would work, is when they treat him like in All Star Superman. There he was absolutely evil and full of hubris, but provided unintentionally laughs, because of his arrogance. For example when Clark visits him on death row. Lex works out and shows Clark his biceps, urging him to feel it and feel real power. That a sort of humor I could live with. But not a wisecracking Lex.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #114
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0327 View Post
I hear a lot of people shooting down the humor, but I think the reason humor is needed is to offset some of the seriousness. Balance is important in any film. Overly serious films should be somewhat balanced with opposite emotional moments.

This is all the more true in CBMs. CBMs should be fun for the most part; we're not watching the Grapes of Wrath here. And a lot of the fun comes in the part of seeing our hero use his/her powers to save the day or beat up the villain. Some of that can be humorous.

Romance is another way to bring in a little fun and light-hearted enjoyment in between the bashing up of alien villains or solving the villain's plan, plot or ploy. It isn't that you have to have a lot of interest or some complicated love story, but a little of that goes a long way, especially with characters that have great loves like Lois and Superman.

Humor is a part of our daily lives. I think its safe to say that people laugh every day. So going to a movie, and movies are supposed to be escapist entertainment, and not laughing at all or very little? Doesn't sound like a good time at the movies. Now I'm not advocating we get a Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock to drop one-liners throughout the film, but it needs humor. The best films have all splashed enough humor around to make the rest of the film enjoyable.
But that is your opinion. In my opinion a movie loses its tension the funnier it gets. I already get that with the Marvel movies. I don't need that from DC too.

Just because humor is part of our daily lives doesn't make it mandatory for a fun film. It seems like a lot of people don't get the difference between humor and fun. Yeah, I want fun in my superhero movies and I got much more fun out of the Dark Knight trilogy and MoS then out of any Marvel film, all of which have had a lot more humor. For me, it is fun to be thrilled and fear for the characters. Its fun to have huge dire stakes against the hero and see him overcome that. Undermining that with laughs is for me the wrong way to go.
As much as I enjoyed Iron Man 3, it had so much humor in it that I could not take anything in it seriously.

Apart from small doses of humor, like in Dark Knight or MoS, too much humor doesn't mesh well with drama and I want to see drama in a superhero film, not comedy.
Its the same in the comicbooks. The best ones take themself pretty seriously and provide drama without many laughs. Thats the way I want DC to continue making movies, since thehumor fans allready have their Marvel stuff to fall back on.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #115
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
No. Just no. He is the villain. He is not supposed to be funny. He is not funny in the comics and I would love it if they would take inspiration from there. Enough with the funny Lex from the Donner films.

The only way a funny Lex would work, is when they treat him like in All Star Superman. There he was absolutely evil and full of hubris, but provided unintentionally laughs, because of his arrogance. For example when Clark visits him on death row. Lex works out and shows Clark his biceps, urging him to feel it and feel real power. That a sort of humor I could live with. But not a wisecracking Lex.
Yes. I think Luthor should be mostly serious. Maybe a few "sick jokes" now and then, but even those should be unsettling.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #116
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Agree, that's why I said "unexpected source of humor."

Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #117
Nathan

Quote:
But that is your opinion. In my opinion a movie loses its tension the funnier it gets. I already get that with the Marvel movies. I don't need that from DC too.

Just because humor is part of our daily lives doesn't make it mandatory for a fun film. It seems like a lot of people don't get the difference between humor and fun. Yeah, I want fun in my superhero movies and I got much more fun out of the Dark Knight trilogy and MoS then out of any Marvel film, all of which have had a lot more humor. For me, it is fun to be thrilled and fear for the characters. Its fun to have huge dire stakes against the hero and see him overcome that. Undermining that with laughs is for me the wrong way to go.
As much as I enjoyed Iron Man 3, it had so much humor in it that I could not take anything in it seriously.

Apart from small doses of humor, like in Dark Knight or MoS, too much humor doesn't mesh well with drama and I want to see drama in a superhero film, not comedy.
Its the same in the comicbooks. The best ones take themself pretty seriously and provide drama without many laughs. Thats the way I want DC to continue making movies, since thehumor fans allready have their Marvel stuff to fall back on.
I agree with that. I had fun with MOS. Not because I had to chuckle every couple minutes, but because it was pretty much an exhilarating roller coaster ride. I don't need jokes to lighten the mood every couple minutes. Sometimes I just want them to carry on with the drama and raise the stakes. It also really depends on the circumstances and characters. Spider-Man and Iron Man are the kind of heroes that deal with dangerous situation by being humorous. But even for them, there comes a point where they stop quipping.

In MOS, I can't think of a single situation during the fights, where it would have been natural to joke, in order to lighten the mood. The stakes were always high. He didn't deal with a bunch of bank robbers, who wasted tons of bullets on him and don't realize that nothing hurts him.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #118
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ True. Just as long as he doesn't describe himself as "the greatest criminal mastermind of his time" and explain his whole plan to Superman
He wouldn't; Goyer would have another character described him that way.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #119
SuperFerret
Class Act

I hope the next movie is completely serious. I mean, it's pretty well known that I'm a big comic book fan, and if other people see this movie and it's a big jokefest like Iron Man 3 was, they'll think I'm some sort of huge manchild, and I totally cannot deal with that sort of judgement.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #120
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I agree with that. I had fun with MOS. Not because I had to chuckle every couple minutes, but because it was pretty much an exhilarating roller coaster ride. I don't need jokes to lighten the mood every couple minutes. Sometimes I just want them to carry on with the drama and raise the stakes. It also really depends on the circumstances and characters. Spider-Man and Iron Man are the kind of heroes that deal with dangerous situation by being humorous. But even for them, there comes a point where they stop quipping.

In MOS, I can't think of a single situation during the fights, where it would have been natural to joke, in order to lighten the mood. The stakes were always high. He didn't deal with a bunch of bank robbers, who wasted tons of bullets on him and don't realize that nothing hurts him.
Yes, bang on if I want humour I'd watch a film for that like a comedy

Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #121
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Yeah, I thought there was plenty of good, subtle humor in MOS.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #122
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah and that's all it needed.

If they want to add some more humour in the sequel and it fits then fine I just don't like when it's forced. That's why I think it was done best in MOS the humour there was just fit.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #123
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Yeah, I don't want Superman to be a wisecracking smartass, that's Tony Stark. And I also don't want a bunch of zany, silly scenes that will turn people off. That's what happened in Green Lantern; a film I actually didn't hate but a LOT of other people did and it bombed big time.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #124
Nathan

Quote:
Agreed. The dick measuring and the bucket. The Truck. Lois having the Online guy leak her story. Lois saying that Clark let them handcuff him, cue the eyebrow. Lombard being a little kid when Perry wants to tear Lois a new one. "Are you 'effin stupid!" There were definitely smile moments. Just because I didn't laugh out loud, like when Tony Stark hit the ceiling during Iron Man 1, doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #125
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Yeah, I don't want Superman to be a wisecracking smartass, that's Tony Stark. And I also don't want a bunch of zany, silly scenes that will turn people off. That's what happened in Green Lantern; a film I actually didn't hate but a LOT of other people did and it bombed big time.
Exactly I liked Green Lantern, it disappointed me but it was entertaining and I never got bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Agreed. The dick measuring and the bucket. The Truck. Lois having the Online guy leak her story. Lois saying that Clark let them handcuff him, cue the eyebrow. Lombard being a little kid when Perry wants to tear Lois a new one. "Are you 'effin stupid!" There were definitely smile moments. Just because I didn't laugh out loud, like when Tony Stark hit the ceiling during Iron Man 1, doesn't mean it wasn't good.
My favourite moment that made me laugh was the one where Superman got his powers back on the Black Zero, Jax Ur bricked it and Superman just snapped his shackles off and gave him this look of "I don't have time for this"