The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #151
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Default Re: Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
Was I the only one that laughed out loud at the polar bear?
I liked dat polar bear shot, actually. Gave the movie a 'documentary' type feel somehow, even though we're dealing with space and super-powered beings.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #152
EssayM
Just A Guy

The humor should come from, at least in part....Superman (hear me out).

I admit I'm not as familiar with the Superman comics and cartoons as I am those of Batman, but the few times I've seen them, part of Supe's charm comes from how cheerful he is in the face of danger. He takes threats seriously, but I've seen him quip plenty of times when he's fighting an enemy, or even just talking to an innocent bystander. Something like that scene in SR where he jokes with the passengers on the plane he just saved about not putting them off flying is a great summary of Superman's personality to me. For that matter, I distinctly remember at least one comic where some villain is holding over a ledge and calls out for Superman to come get him, only to turn around and see Supes standing there, smirking with arms crossed, saying "You rang." I'm not saying he has to be Spiderman or anything, but he can and, really, should have a bit of lightheartedness in combat.

As for outright comedy, I think the Daily Planet (Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White) could be a good source for that, plus you could make Luthor a bit of a Loki-style sardonic but threatening villian. Overall, a Superman movie shouldn't be Iron Man or Avengers funny, but it shouldn't be Memento with explosions either. There is plenty of ways for the DCU to be fun without copying Marvel.

EssayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #153
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Who should bring the humor? Why, Jon Cryer as Lenny Luthor. Next question!

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #154
Loki882
Side-Kick

I disagree strongly with the notion that the movie had no humor. There were at least ten different occasions where everyone in my theatre laughed out loud, and a couple more that made them snicker. Maybe the sequel could add a little more humor, but I hope they don't go overboard. The Daily Planet would be a good place for levity.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #155
FVD
Jolly Loves You

While I felt the level of humour in MoS was rather subtle, and with the name badge reveal that Jenny is pretty much NOT an Olsen (ala Jurwich), I daresay introduce Jimmy in the sequel. And I wouldn't object to Cat Grant and Mercy Graves being in there too. But with Jimmy he'll be more an enough to lend a lighter tone to the next film(s). Heck if Toyman was ever introduced in these films no doubt would he even lend some humour as well.

Hopefully we'll only see Lex and Mercy and nobody else except for your nameless security guards as you do. But all dialogue should be between Lex and Mercy. Please Snyder/Goyer/Nolan - make it so!!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #156
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
The sort of humour from Marvel appeals to wider audiences, girls, parents, etc. so they'll do better at the box office. But the tension of the tone that MOS brings has a longer lasting impact on you as a movie goer. Frankly, I will remember MOS and the sense it brought to me much longer than IM3, Avengers, etc.
It had a far bigger emotional impact.
Except that Man of Steel had more women in the theater than any other superhero franchise thus far.

Man of Steel's audience was 44% women.

So I think it's really tough to try and say that Marvel is trying to appeal to women in order to get better box office results when Man of Steel actually achieved more gender equality at the box office than the average hero franchise.

I don't think the need for some more humor has anything to do with your audience. I think, in general, the need for some humor in the sequel has more to do with making a balanced film. The audience for Man of Steel was already extremely broad and had incredible gender equality.

A more hopeful tone in some respects, a more fleshed our romance and the use of some subtle humor isn't about the audience as much as it's about making a more complex, balanced sequel.

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #157
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Really? Where is that statistic from? Not saying I don't believe you, I just find that interesting.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #158
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Really? Where is that statistic from? Not saying I don't believe you, I just find that interesting.

Quote:
Man of Steel garnered a fantastic $29,731 per theater average from its 4,207 locations. The film grossed $13.3 million in IMAX theaters, and 41% of its business came from 3D ticket sales. Audiences were 56 percent male and 44 percent female, a more even gender distribution than Iron Man 3, which had a 61/39 percent male/female split on opening weekend. The dashing looks of Henry Cavill (and Amy Adams’ appeal) no doubt helped Man of Steel play well with women. Reviews were mixed, but crowds issued the film a strong “A-” CinemaScore.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/1...-man-of-steel/

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #159
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Thanks

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #160
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
While I felt the level of humour in MoS was rather subtle, and with the name badge reveal that Jenny is pretty much NOT an Olsen (ala Jurwich), I daresay introduce Jimmy in the sequel. And I wouldn't object to Cat Grant and Mercy Graves being in there too. But with Jimmy he'll be more an enough to lend a lighter tone to the next film(s). Heck if Toyman was ever introduced in these films no doubt would he even lend some humour as well.

Hopefully we'll only see Lex and Mercy and nobody else except for your nameless security guards as you do. But all dialogue should be between Lex and Mercy. Please Snyder/Goyer/Nolan - make it so!!

Yes. And make Luthor like Talia in a certain Batflick

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #161
Loki882
Side-Kick

I like Marvel's humor, especially when its RDJ delivering it. However, I also like the humor in Nolan's Bat films and MOS. They're both good, but in different ways.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote