The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #751
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah she does, and I hope they're not going to change Monica's ethnicity for the sake of it. But Ruth could just be a civilian or non comic book character.
That's my feeling about Monica. They should be true to the character if they decide to use her. That means keeping her ethnicity and her origin as a law enforcement office from New Orleans.

It's sad that Marvel has so few Black female characters that the only ones who fans can name are Storm, Monica and Misty Knight. That is the reason Monica was the first character a lot of people thought of -- there are only three that come to mind, and one of them isn't available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Ian Hart is probably best known for playing villain Professor Quirrell in the first Harry Potter film.
So that's why his face looks familiar!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #752
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If Hall does become Graviton what kind of costume should he have? The blue and white comic one with a cape? He didn't have a cape though in his first appearance.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #753
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
If Hall does become Graviton what kind of costume should he have? The blue and white comic one with a cape? He didn't have a cape though in his first appearance.
Hopefully not a smallvillized version. I guess they will have to tone it done a bit, but preferrable not too much

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #754
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

This was his costume in A:EMH

Similar enough to his classic comic one but modified and without those purple buttons.

He wore the cloak out of an inflated sense of superiority.

I think he should also still be called Graviton. It's the name of an elementary particle in Physics, so that name could just be given as a nickname to him if Hall's been working on Quantum Field Theory.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #755
Pond
Side-Kick

I dunno. I have known african girls who look like her. She looks african to me. Africa is a big continent with a lot of shades in looks and colors and cultures, its not that monolitic one trick pony sometimes we are presented with. And a beautiful continent too.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #756
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I hope he has hair though. I don't want to start seeing a bald Graviton in the comics just because that's the way he's appeared in live action. In A:EMH Graviton even had long hair.
Well, beeing able to see Graviton at all would be nice, even if it means a design change. It's not like he's been used a lot recently. :/

Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #757
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
I dunno. I have known african girls who look like her. She looks african to me. Africa is a big continent with a lot of shades in looks and colors and cultures, its not that monolitic one trick pony sometimes we are presented with. And a beautiful continent too.
This is very true.

That said, for Monica who is from New Orleans ,I actually always imagined Weadon Alumni Gina Torres for that role since forever.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #758
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Rising Tide is Skye's group. That's the guys I was calling ULTIMATUM/Anarchy.
Then I'm thinking that she allow herself to be capture.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/83f2ffc92...dteyo1_500.gif
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #759
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

I have Kerry Washington as MCU Monica.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #760
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That's my feeling about Monica. They should be true to the character if they decide to use her. That means keeping her ethnicity and her origin as a law enforcement office from New Orleans.

It's sad that Marvel has so few Black female characters that the only ones who fans can name are Storm, Monica and Misty Knight. That is the reason Monica was the first character a lot of people thought of -- there are only three that come to mind, and one of them isn't available.
This is why a Black Panther movie is key. With that film, you could have N'Yami, Shuri, Monica Lynne and Ramonda.

They could if they wanted to cast someone like Kerry Washington or Rosario Dawson or Paula Patton in the MCU as aliens or androids (voice and mo cap) like they did with Zoe Saldana in GOTG. I think that's the route that Marvel may go if they choose not to have Monica Rambeau or Misty Knight in MCU.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #761
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

edit.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #762
antovolk
Side-Kick

As per http://www.xbox.com/en-US/video/Agents-of-Shield, the 3-min opening of the pilot is available to also view on Windows 8 PCs with the XBOX video app.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #763
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
This was his costume in A:EMH

Similar enough to his classic comic one but modified and without those purple buttons.

He wore the cloak out of an inflated sense of superiority.

I think he should also still be called Graviton. It's the name of an elementary particle in Physics, so that name could just be given as a nickname to him if Hall's been working on Quantum Field Theory.
He looks like the Overmind in his cartoon version.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/83f2ffc92...dteyo1_500.gif
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #764
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think Franklin Hall could have a special suit he uses when experimenting on graviton particles. It could be coloured blue and white, and could end up as his costume. If he wants to add a cape later on because of his superiority complex, so be it. But a gravity suit could be a good place to start.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #765
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

This show could be the perfect way to introduce any character that Marvel may want to put in their movies.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #766
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It has to work in a way that people who don't watch the TV show won't be confused when the character is in a movie.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #767
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
This is why a Black Panther movie is key. With that film, you could have N'Yami, Shuri, Monica Lynne and Ramonda.

They could if they wanted to cast someone like Kerry Washington or Rosario Dawson or Paula Patton in the MCU as aliens or androids (voice and mo cap) like they did with Zoe Saldana in GOTG. I think that's the route that Marvel may go if they choose not to have Monica Rambeau or Misty Knight in MCU.
You want to know what's even sadder than the dearth of prominent Black women in Marvel Comics? The notion that the only way we can be included is if they cast Black actresses as aliens or androids or some exotic, non-human "other".

Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #768
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
You want to know what's even sadder than the dearth of prominent Black women in Marvel Comics? The notion that the only way we can be included is if they cast Black actresses as aliens or androids or some exotic, non-human "other".
So are Elba, AAA, and Djimon Hounsou, all three of whom have at one point been linked to Black Panther. Then again, there are a lot of Black Men in the Marvel Comics such as Nick Fury, Rhodey, Falcon, Bishop, GW Bridge, Luke Cage, Gabe Jones and secondary characters like Brother Voodoo and Rage and Elijah Bradley (aka Black Captain America).

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 09-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #769
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I'm confused, what's this talk about changing Monica's ethnicity? Is Ruth Negga not black?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #770
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

She's half Irish, half Ethiopian. I think the issue is that lighter-toned actors of any given ethnic group tend to be favored over the darker ones.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #771
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I'm confused, what's this talk about changing Monica's ethnicity? Is Ruth Negga not black?
Not black enough apparently.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #772
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Well, beeing able to see Graviton at all would be nice, even if it means a design change. It's not like he's been used a lot recently. :/
he's been in most issues of the current Secret Avengers book; as part of A.I.M's new ruling council.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #773
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese View Post
She's half Irish, half Ethiopian. I think the issue is that lighter-toned actors of any given ethnic group tend to be favored over the darker ones.
Irish and Ethiopian are not races, they're nationalities. Is she half black and half white? Or is she just a black Irishman?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #774
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Negga was born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 1982, where she lived until she was four, to an Irish mother and an Ethiopian father

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Negga

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #775
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I already know where her parents are from, what I want to know is what her parents look like. What ethnicity are they? Until someone can find that out, I'm just going to assume that her mother is white and her father is black.

Closed Thread