The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #76
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: 2013-2014 NBA Discussion Thread: The Dwightmare is Over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
This! Durant is a good player but he is not what people are hyping him up to be. I've heard people argue that its him and LeBron and everyone else but I'm sorry, its LeBron and everyone else. I think the playoffs showed just how close he and Melo are.
IMO, KD was never better than Carmelo offensively (or period really) as far as dynamic ability & skills, he just plays a smarter & more efficient game because he's a lot more passive and gets 8-10 calls a game on the perimeter (somehow) that keep his scoring average high.

But he's just a jumpshooter, a tremendous one, but that's about it. Dirk didn't win until he developed a post game and Durant won't either until he does the same. It really comes down to likeability, and because KD comes off as the humble antithesis to Lebron, he gets a lot of passes in the media. CP3 as well, for someone heralded as the best PG basically since he's been in the league, he's done remarkably less than most superstars of his perceived talent in the postseason, with no backlash. Yet. That's about to change however...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #77
Anubis
Sup?

Less? CP3 has shown, on numerous occasions that he's the best PG in the league. Putting teams on his back and carrying them farther than they ever would have without him. His problem is that he never really had any help. Hell, he still doesn't have any help.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #78
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
IMO, KD was never better than Carmelo offensively (or period really) as far as dynamic ability & skills, he just plays a smarter & more efficient game because he's a lot more passive and gets 8-10 calls a game on the perimeter (somehow) that keep his scoring average high.

But he's just a jumpshooter, a tremendous one, but that's about it. Dirk didn't win until he developed a post game and Durant won't either until he does the same. It really comes down to likeability, and because KD comes off as the humble antithesis to Lebron, he gets a lot of passes in the media. CP3 as well, for someone heralded as the best PG basically since he's been in the league, he's done remarkably less than most superstars of his perceived talent in the postseason, with no backlash. Yet. That's about to change however...
I've always said I thought Melo was the better player, especially on offense but people tend to believe the hype so I just stopped arguing about it. But you're right, Durant is a glorified jump shooter and when Westbrook and Harden were out, it exposed him moreso on how much his game is kinda limited.

"Lets all take a moment to laugh at the Miami Heat.

HAHAHAHA."-ESPN poster James Slattery
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #79
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Less? CP3 has shown, on numerous occasions that he's the best PG in the league. Putting teams on his back and carrying them farther than they ever would have without him. His problem is that he never really had any help. Hell, he still doesn't have any help.
Yeah in the regular season. People kill Melo for only making it to the second round twice but isn't that how many times Chris Paul has made it as well? Not sure off the top of my head but he hasn't made it there often.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #80
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Could be worse.

Could be Tracy McGrady who needs to ring chase just to get out of the 1st round.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #81
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Could be worse.

Could be Tracy McGrady who needs to ring chase just to get out of the 1st round.
So did LeBron.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #82
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Uh Lebron got out of the first round routinely. >.>

Please just stop.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #83
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Melo has a more versatile offensive game than KD, as he can play in the post very effectively. However, KD is much more efficient and more reliable from longer ranges. They both score about 27-30 ppg, but Melo for all his strengths struggles when it comes to finishing at the rim. He gets blocked or just doesn't stick those shots. KD can shoot from 3, but also finish at the rim with a ferocious dunk or a sweet little layup. KD also knows how to work the refs better and get 8-10 FTs a game easy.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #84
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Tyson Chandler, David West, Carl Landry, Jarret Jack, Peja, Ariza, Okafor, Belinelli, he had something to work with, they won like 50 games one season and still lost in the first round. As the PG it's your job to maximize that talent.

And I've said before that I believe Rondo to be at least his peer as a pure PG. No he can't shoot as good but Rondo has averaged more assists the past three years, he's a better rebounder, he easily has better postseason play as he's up there with Lebron & Magic all-time for triple doubles in the playoffs & you can't do that if you can't manage to score somewhat consistently.

I think it's another situation of likeability, just like with KD vs Melo. Rondo has this reputation of being a hothead but I haven't seen him do half of the dirty stuff CP gets away with on the court, going all the way back to his groin shot in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
Melo has a more versatile offensive game than KD, as he can play in the post very effectively. However, KD is much more efficient and more reliable from longer ranges. They both score about 27-30 ppg, but Melo for all his strengths struggles when it comes to finishing at the rim. He gets blocked or just doesn't stick those shots. KD can shoot from 3, but also finish at the rim with a ferocious dunk or a sweet little layup. KD also knows how to work the refs better and get 8-10 FTs a game easy.
Melo's not as athletic but I know sometimes when he's in a jam in the paint he'll purposely just put the ball up on the glass to quick hop the rebound and put it back. I think he does that at least 2-3 times a game. Overall though Melo can post(and has a myriad of moves down there), he can go midrange, he can go long range, he can go off the dribble and pull up or go off the dribble & drive and he's strong enough to corral all those offensive boards. IMO he has the second most creative & dynamic offensive skillset in the league, but he's the most powerful frame-wise at using it...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 07-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #85
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #86
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Are Dwight and the Rockets going to be criticized for years because they held a pep rally over a signing?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #87
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Probably not because he didn't promise not 6, not 7 rings.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #88
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
What a bunch of bandwagon losers.

[/sarcasm]

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #89
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Are Dwight and the Rockets going to be criticized for years because they held a pep rally over a signing?
Did he come out wearing his uniform with a smoke machine and laser show?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #90
JaD
Thriller Night

No but I see a giant mouse. That's just as extravagant.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #91
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Knicks sign Artest with the remaining 1.6M of their mid level exception.

Ugh

Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #92
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Which means Melo will be playing the four again, we will get killed on the boards and have a first round exit. You can't make this crap up. Why doesn't Melo just get his fat arse in shape and play the three and start either Bargnani or Amare? Same thing as last year. We have like 8 forwards on the team but we started 3 guards and Woodson wouldn't bend so probably the best shooting forward second to Melo left for a inner division rival.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #93
Anubis
Sup?

Why wouldn't Amare start? The wind blew and he broke his arm or something?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #94
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

The matchups favor the Knicks when Melo plays the 4. He and Amare have no chemistry when they're on the floor together. The Knicks are going to have to find a work around until Stat's massive contract is over in 2 years.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #95
Anubis
Sup?

I don't know, I'd try to see if there's any suck...I mean, interest in taking that big ass contract. Certainly next year when it moves into Expiring territory.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #96
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Amare is on a minutes restriction I read. 20 mpg and no b2b games.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #97
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
The matchups favor the Knicks when Melo plays the 4. He and Amare have no chemistry when they're on the floor together. The Knicks are going to have to find a work around until Stat's massive contract is over in 2 years.
I hear people say that all the time but it does not. The Knicks are one of the worse rebounding teams in the league and you rarely see Melo guard who ever is playing the four, he ends up guarding their 3 no matter what. He's almost unstoppable offensively regardless what position he plays but it makes sense for him to play the three, especially since they have so many big guys and they are horrible on the boards. The year that Melo had, it could have actually been better had he played the three.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #98
Mister J
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Miami has used the Amnesty provision on Mike Miller.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #99
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

That was a waste of an amnesty. He has actually been one of their best players in the Finals when Spo has the common sense to play him. C'mon Knicks! Grab him, but eh. He's probably going to retire now.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #100
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
Miami has used the Amnesty provision on Mike Miller.
Strange. Granted, he doesn't give much during the regular season, but he was absolutely crucial to Miami getting out of that series with Indy. He also played a huge role in turning the Finals this year (and went crazy in the clincher last year), he's almost as timely as Battier with big shots.

- Kobe Bryant

- Floyd Mayweather
Closed Thread