The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #251
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,721
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Id really rather not. Its one thing to come across a wreck its another thing to go out looking for them

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #252
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 750
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
No, actually I'm just agreeing with Thundercrack that ANY movie featuring two guys making out will bring in a **** load of chicks.

You put Channing Tatum in a gay film with another dude and chances are you're looking at a lot of money. Brokeback made 100 mil in the states inflated, and other than 'The Vow' and 'Magic Mike' (a male stripper movie) its higher than Tatum's other romantic pics. And according to an article below - a lot of what made Brokeback successful was surprisingly the women buying tickets.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/10/14/women-...ay-porn-30888/
http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-05-...ale-porn/full/

Also, to phrase it better do I think a Young Avengers film (which has a gay relationship at its core) would/will be successful? Yes.
Think about it this way, if a gay movie would be so successful and make major bucks why have they not tried it in the most staple female geared genre: romcom? Why? Because women love to see hot men make a girl fall in love with them because it makes them feel like they could have that happy love story one day. Watching a man make another man fall in love with them is different because they don't get that feeling of this could happen to them.

And seriously, you're evidence that women love male gay porn is an erotic novelist? Of course more women are going to be into the book because women love reading erotic fiction more than men, Period. Want to know why women would choice an erotic book over watching porn? It's because women love to create their own fantasies instead of watching someone elses. I know plenty of women who've said watching gay porn is weird and disgusting.
Men love watching lesbian porn because we don't care about fantasizing and all that, unlike women. We just want to see action.

Brokeback Mountain made less than 200 WW and the majority of the people who went and saw it where women. The lowest grossing superhero film recently has been X-Men: FC at 353 WW. Now take into account the number of parents who won't take their families to see a superhero film about a gay superhero especially if it's PG-13 meaning their will be some romantic action in it. Add to that that the combination of men and children still make up the bulk of superhero films box office. Put all that into perspective and what do you get: a movie that's likely to do between Brokeback Mountain and FC numbers. The gay community that will support this film will likely boost the sales of the movie but not likely past FC numbers.

So no, the amount of women who would go see a gay superhero film aren't enough to warrant changing an established character from straight to gay because the hit from the kiddy market is too big. Plus you forget, these companies make the bulk of their money off toys and the like. So if parents won't support the movie they won't support the toy either which means they just took double the hit.

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth
blalex620 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #253
Atharun
Chillin'
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 135
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

This whole thing seems to have gotten out of control. While I personally don't agree with homosexuality I truly have no problem with gay individuals. What they do with their life is simply their choice. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone and they pay their taxes, who are we to judge. We can have our beliefs and opinions but that does not make them fact. As,o because someone does not agree with the lifestyle does not mean they are homophobic. I myself worked with several gay people and they are quite pleasant to work with. That being said, changing an established character to make a change it ridiculous. I will give examples.

Changing Ironhide from red to black in the TF movies. The proposed change to make the TMNT aliens. Making Pete gay. Change for the sake of change is pointless IMO. Stick to the source material. I have always been a firm believer that if you want to make a character, whether gay or black or whatever, do so so that it stands on its own merit and thus make a new character. This is why I dislike Miles Morales, they made him half black half latin and it comes across as trying to hard (as a Latin their aunt nothing Latin about him except his last name). Nothing wrong with being "insert adjective" but dont use it to stir controversy or just because. If you want to portray a gay hero why not play Northstar or whomever to which it actually has a meaning to that character. Just my .02.

Atharun is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #254
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,777
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmvela View Post
This whole thing seems to have gotten out of control. While I personally don't agree with homosexuality I truly have no problem with gay individuals.
How can you not agree with homosexuality? I mean, I get not "going for it", but this statement requires explanation.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #255
Atharun
Chillin'
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 135
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

It is simply my view and belief. T does not require further explanation. If you're looking for confrontation look elsewhere. Not everyone has to agree with everything everyone else does. Regardless of my feelings towards it I don't judge people nor should anyone.

Atharun is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #256
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!
 
Doctor Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 6,417
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
My $.02....Peter Parker/Spider-Man has always been portrayed as straight and should continue to be. Suddenly making him LGBT would feel like a stunt, and the "message" the filmmakers were trying to send would be overshadowed by the controversy about the movie.

Also Sony wouldn't go for it.

Also, I believe Garfield was being half-serious as in being serious about expressing his support for gay rights in a humorous manner, not half-serious as in actually expecting this to happen.

But to the people who are fans of someone because he "likes chicks" and not fans of someone because he doesn't...I'm glad I'm not friends with someone as shallow as you, and I'm pretty sure you're in fact too shallow to truly have meaningful friendships with anyone.

Too many homophobic remarks have already been deleted in this thread. Keep it to yourself on this site. We do not tolerate that BS here.
Basically pulling a Dumbledore just to make more money from the gay community. I agree.

__________________
ben: hello im ben...
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=453945
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

______________
\__\_l_l_/__/
\_______/
l_
l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #257
ericadawn16
Side-Kick
 
ericadawn16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 511
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

As long as MJ has red hair, I suppose I'm good with MJ being a man, woman and/or someone of a different ethnicity.

ericadawn16 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #258
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 750
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
How can you not agree with homosexuality? I mean, I get not "going for it", but this statement requires explanation.
I personally don't agree with it not because there is something inherently wrong with it but instead because of the fact that I personally don't understand it. I don't agree with someone having sex with a 100 different people because I wouldn't do it not because I think it's wrong.

I think it's wrong to assume people are homophobic because they say "I don't have a problem with gay people." People say it because they know having a different opinion will automatically make them seem homophobic. There are many people who accept and understand homosexuality but don't necessarily agree with it. They have every right to feel this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
As long as MJ has red hair, I suppose I'm good with MJ being a man, woman and/or someone of a different ethnicity.
Seriously, that's MJ's one defining quality. That she has red hair

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth
blalex620 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #259
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,721
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Duplicate post


Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 07-12-2013 at 01:08 AM.
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #260
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,777
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

It sounds very strange. I'm still not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

Saying you "don't agree with homosexuality", and then liking it to... someone having sex with a hundred people just makes you sound exactly like what you say you're not.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #261
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,721
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Saying you're against something because you don't understand it is what doesn't make sense to me.... I don't understand most Japanese fads but i don't disagree with those who want to do it or are Japanese lol. Its just not for me and i move on.....

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #262
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Saying you're against something because you don't understand it is what doesn't make sense to me.... I don't understand most Japanese fads but i don't disagree with those who want to do it or are Japanese lol. Its just not for me and i move on.....
Exactly. It's a line that homophobic people have used to hide behind since a long long time ago. What is to be agreed upon? Those who say 'agree' to me still seems like those people believe people choose to be LGBT. They do not choose it, they are born with it and either must learn to come to terms with it and accept it with the knowledge that people might be against you for something entirely out of your control or to lead a miserable life filled with denial. And for those who say it is in their control - that is really really sickening to me. Because basically that's like saying you want to prevent them because you don't like to see it. Imagine being a straight dude and never being able to get intimate with a girl. It's the same thing. While I have come to embrace being a bi dude, it took me from the time I was 7 to the time I was 23/24 to come out of the closet to myself because sad to say I didn't want to be - I just wanted to view myself as a weird straight guy more than I did a bi guy. People do not choose to be something where you can lose your friends, family, and people in your just for the way you are. Nobody chooses to be ridiculed for wanting to hold hands with another guy. Nobody chooses to be something where, especially before, people were telling you there was something to be inherently ashamed of. People do not choose that. So really - it is exactly just as 'agreeable' as straight people because the attraction acts the same way. For those who can't see this, imagine being straight in a gay world where being straight is seen as the not agreeable thing and ask yourself if you would understand what was so disagreeable about being straight.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 07-12-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Ultimatehero is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #263
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,721
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Exactly. It's a line that homophobic people have used to hide behind since a long long time ago. What is to be agreed upon? Those who say 'agree' to me still seems like those people believe people choose to be LGBT. They do not choose it, they are born with it and either must learn to come to terms with it and accept it with the knowledge that people might be against you for something entirely out of your control or to lead a miserable life filled with denial. And for those who say it is in their control - that is really really sickening to me. Because basically that's like saying you want to prevent them because you don't like to see it. Imagine being a straight dude and never being able to get intimate with a girl. It's the same thing. While I have come to embrace being a bi dude, it took me from the time I was 7 to the time I was 23/24 to come out of the closet to myself because sad to say I didn't want to be - I just wanted to view myself as a weird straight guy more than I did a bi guy. People do not choose to be something where you can lose your friends, family, and people in your just for the way you are. Nobody chooses to be ridiculed for wanting to hold hands with another guy. Nobody chooses to be something where, especially before, people were telling you there was something to be inherently ashamed of. People do not choose that. So really - it is exactly just as 'agreeable' as straight people because the attraction acts the same way. For those who can't see this, imagine being straight in a gay world where being straight is seen as the not agreeable thing and ask yourself if you would understand what was so disagreeable about being straight.
Well said

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #264
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 750
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Saying you're against something because you don't understand it is what doesn't make sense to me.... I don't understand most Japanese fads but i don't disagree with those who want to do it or are Japanese lol. Its just not for me and i move on.....
Okay maybe "agree with" is not the correct phrase then. More of indifference to it is better. I have nothing against it, I don't necessarily think it's wrong either.

Who's to say if people choice to be gay or if they are born that way. The human brain is the most complex piece of engineering we know of in the universe so it's reasonable to say we don't know how everything we do and feel works. Personally I know some gay people who've always felt they were gay and then I know people who like the same sex because it's what everyone else is doing. So really who truly knows.

Do I think it's weird? Yes I do. But like everything in this world people are going to think things they don't understand are weird and there's nothing wrong with that. I think females who spend a thousand dollars on a purse are weird and guys who's life revolves around sports that they don't play are weird. It's not because I think it's wrong, it's just something I do not understand because I am not in that situation.

I just think it's wrong to label everyone with differing opinions on the subject as homophobic. It's in no way, shape or form wrong to want Peter Parker to remain a straight male. It has nothing to do with not wanting a gay hero. It boils down to people wanting Peter Parker to remain the character who he has been since his inception. People hate the Civil War storyline because they feel the characters weren't acting the way they always acted.

I'm an African American comic lover who hates the idea of a black Johnny Storm. Does that mean I have a phobia of my race? No. It just means I don't see the point in changing an established character's race, gender, or sexuality for no other reason than to seem "politically correct." I think Wiccan and Hulking are great characters and love them in Young Avengers. I wouldn't mind a different gay Spider-Man, just not a gay Peter Parker or a black male MJ.

Edit: changing an established character only applies to main characters who are important to the story. Supporting characters could be turned into blue skinned aliens for all I care.

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth

Last edited by blalex620; 07-12-2013 at 03:25 AM.
blalex620 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #265
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,022
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

He's joking. I'm all for equality but turning straight characters into gay ones is something I don't approve of. I'd be fine with a new gay character in the spidey world.

Green Goblin is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #266
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,467
Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Garfield: "What if Spider-man were a woman."

fanboys: "wow, how progressive"

Garfield: "What if Spider-man were Asian?"

fanboys: "wow, how progressive"

Garfield: "What if Spider-man were gay?"

fanboys: "WHAT??? TOTAL DISRESPECT TOWARDS THE CHARACTER!!!!"

MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.