The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #76
batboy99
BTVS

Default Re: Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Spider-Man kissing boys?

I got time for that

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #77
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Even if I agree with you (which I don't),
Yeah, but what's your experience with it? I'm not talking about looking at things from the outside, I'm talking about things as a dude who likes other dudes and chicks. And as that dude, it's never been different - only the fear of the world.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #78
fuflipflops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Why should that matter if the purpose is to introduce diversity? And if the film that new character starred in was popular, wouldn't it go on to create an impact?
it would have an impact, but not as big. spidey has 50 years of history and nearly everyone knows who he is. it would help if it was a new character, absolutely, it just wouldn't make too big of a statement.

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty huge thing to me. I mean...aren't his romantic relationships with Gwen and MJ (especially MJ) considered essential to the character? Isn't MJ the love of his life? The Lois Lane to his Superman? What would be the purpose of negating such a long history of romance and character development/interaction just to make an impact?
but there'd still be gwen and mj, they'd just be men (or one a woman and the other a man, if he was bi), that wouldn't change. the love wouldn't change, the history wouldn't change.

Quote:
So you're saying gender doesn't matter? Because it kind of does. I believe in equality, but differences between men and women exist that distinguish us as separate genders.
we're gonna have to disagree on that, because i don't think gender matters. there are physical differences, of course, but everything else (idk, these are bad examples, but i can't think of others, but things like women are more emotional and men more rational, men are physically stronger and women weaker, those type of things)has been constructed by society and can be deconstructed.

Quote:
I absolutely agree. So create a gay character and give him (or her) a movie.
like i said above, it'd help, but it wouldn't have as big of an impact, unless they created a character and over the years it got a huge following and presence in pop culture as spidey does.

Quote:
Not necessarily. It's possible that some members of the LGBT community would feel like they were being pandered to if an established character's sexuality was changed to make a statement. What kind of message does that send?
that's a very good point, and it'd take some great writing and reasoning if they were to change the character to avoid that.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
It doesn't. At all.
I think it does. Men and women experience different things simply because they are men and women, and those unique experiences help shape men and women into the people they are. To say that gender doesn't matter at all is a bit silly, in my opinion.

Quote:
As a bi guy. I can readily say when I have feelings for a guy, they're the same exact feelings I have for a girl.
I don't doubt that, but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm talking about. I don't think feelings of attraction towards either gender feel any different, regardless of why you're attracted to that person.

Quote:
To clarify this is only stating - they're people.
And not everyone is the same.

Quote:
I'd say sexuality is a pretty huge part of every individual's identity. Up there with gender and ethnicity. If not higher.
Agreed.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #80
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, but what's your experience with it?
I know people who are gay and straight?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #81
batboy99
BTVS

I would be totally down with some sort of one shot comic where Peter is gay.

There's been a comic about an Indian Spider-Man, so why not?

Actually, I want to campaign for this gay Spidey story to happen now.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #82
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
So, speaking from the outside perspective. And I'd say this is something, that no offense to anyone, a bi guy is more readily able to see due to liking both, being with both, and seeing what that's like from both sides. And as a guy who has experience being with both and liking both - the only difference has only been the fear. That's why this whole we're different, you're different thing is ridiculous to me. Because actually - we're all the same, we all operate the same, the only thing different is the gender if not for the fear. Honestly, it is the same thing as hair and eye color. It's that small of a difference at the heart of it.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #83
fuflipflops
Side-Kick

Quote:
knowing people who experience things is different than experiencing them yourself, though.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #84
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Wait, what are we arguing again?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #85
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Wait, what are we arguing again?
That one's sexuality defines who a person is. I wouldn't say being straight defines who a person is, I wouldn't say being gay defines who a person is, I wouldn't say being bi defines who I am. It's just who you sleep with. Is it a blonde or brunette, is it a brown eye or blue eye - it's no more than that. And if it is, when it is, it's only different from the fear and having to deal with the fear of how others will react. You take away that fear and have a completely open world - there would be absolutely nothing different.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Or, go all the way, Peter Parker by day, Spider-woman by night.
Ahem.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #87
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuflipflops View Post
it would have an impact, but not as big.
But does that matter as long as an impact is made? And what if that character's success led to the creation of even more LGBT characters getting their own films?

Quote:
spidey has 50 years of history and nearly everyone knows who he is.
Which is why arbitrarily making him gay probably isn't a good idea. For that same reason, it probably isn't a good idea to make him black, either, even though I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Quote:
it would help if it was a new character, absolutely, it just wouldn't make too big of a statement.
I would think one should find satisfaction in the fact that the statement is being made in the first place and is receiving recognition.

Quote:
but there'd still be gwen and mj, they'd just be men (or one a woman and the other a man, if he was bi), that wouldn't change. the love wouldn't change, the history wouldn't change.
Except it would. Because they're women. And men and women are different.

Quote:
we're gonna have to disagree on that, because i don't think gender matters.
Fair enough.

Quote:
there are physical differences, of course, but everything else (idk, these are bad examples, but i can't think of others, but things like women are more emotional and men more rational, men are physically stronger and women weaker, those type of things)has been constructed by society and can be deconstructed.
What about sexism? I think women know what being discriminated against in that way feels like more than men. What about periods? I don't think there are very many men who (want to) know what that feels like. What about pregnancy? I could go on and on.

Quote:
like i said above, it'd help, but it wouldn't have as big of an impact, unless they created a character and over the years it got a huge following and presence in pop culture as spidey does.
And why not take that risk? It's certainly less risky, IMO, then changing an established character's sexuality to make a statement. It would be surrounded by so much controversy that whatever positive impact it could have had would probably be lost in it.

Quote:
that's a very good point, and it'd take some great writing and reasoning if they were to change the character to avoid that.
All that great writing and reasoning could be put to better use by creating an entirely different character.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #88
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Or, go all the way, Peter Parker by day, Spider-woman by night.
I know you were joking but gay does not equal trans or wanting to be a woman.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #89
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
That one's sexuality defines who a person is. I wouldn't say being straight defines who a person is, I wouldn't say being gay defines who a person is, I wouldn't say being bi defines who I am. It's just who you sleep with. Is it a blonde or brunette, is it a brown eye or blue eye - it's no more than that. And if it is, when it is, it's only different from the fear of how others will react. That's it. Everything else is exactly the same.
Well, for one thing, the brain structure of gay people is different from their straight counterparts. It's structured more like that of the opposite sex.

So it's a lot more than eye color or hair color. It does define you, like your sex.

But then there are people who treat sex like it's something entirely interchangeable, so that might just spark a whole other argument.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #90
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
That one's sexuality defines who a person is.
It does. Not completely - but it definitely plays a fairly large role. I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise. As a straight male, I don't doubt that I am the way I am in part because I'm straight. I never have to worry about people judging or looking down on me because of my sexual orientation or anything like that. And that's kind of a big deal.

I don't mean to talk down to you or anything, though. I couldn't presume to know what it's like for someone who is gay or bi or transgendered, and I hope it doesn't come across that way. But that's kind of my point: because I'm not that way, I don't know what it's like, because I've never experienced it myself.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #91
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
I know you were joking but gay does not equal trans or wanting to be a woman.
I know, though it does get kind of strange when they carpool ideologically.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #92
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I can't help but wonder how does changing something like race, gender or sexuality change a character like Peter Parker? I understand that these things inform who we are as people in various ways in the real world, but this is a fictional character and I just can't think of anything that's essential to the character that means any interpretation than straight white male means it's invalid.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #93
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Well, for one thing, the brain structure of gay people is different from their straight counterparts. It's structured more like that of the opposite sex.
Is that actually a thing? It sounds more like what white people said about black people back in the day.

Quote:
As a straight male, I don't doubt that I am the way I am in part because I'm straight.
Exactly and that's why I said other than the fear. However, if you're looking at a world without the fear there would be no difference.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #94
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

When in doubt look it up. Presumably from a credible source, of course.

Then again, a lot of people don't know that men and women have rather different brains.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #95
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Joking or just making a point, I don't really care. It won't happen in this series that's for sure.

I've been saying for a long time, I don't care what they do to fck up origins, or commit heresy against the comic book continuity. As long as they do it right first. Do it with respect the first time and have a heyday when you reboot it again. If you give me one solid Spider-Man franchise that I love. Feel free to mess with whatever you want next time. IDGAF.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #96
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, haven't we already established that he's straight... or at least bi?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #97
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Well, haven't we already established that he's straight... or at least bi?
I think that was andrew's point that it's not fully established he's fully straight.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #98
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I can't help but wonder how does changing something like race, gender or sexuality change a character like Peter Parker?
Logically? It would change quite a bit, because people of different races, genders, and sexualities experience different things. But in the context of a comic book or film, where you control everything that happens to the characters, probably not much.

Quote:
I understand that these things inform who we are as people in various ways in the real world, but this is a fictional character and I just can't think of anything that's essential to the character that means any interpretation than straight white male means it's invalid.
It just seems like a pointless change to me. What is the purpose of making him gay? I wouldn't boycott the film or anything on that basis alone, but I would absolutely question the decision.

Quote:
Exactly and that's why I said other than the fear.
What you're essentially asking me is what the difference between us would be if one of the things that make us different didn't exist. It's not a fair question.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #99
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
When in doubt look it up. Presumably from a credible source, of course.

Then again, a lot of people don't know that men and women have rather different brains.
Huh. Just looked that up. But still unsure. Because relationship-wise there really isn't anything different other than the fear. And I've seen gay guys who were more guy's guys than some of the straight guys I know, and some straight guys who were more flamboyant than gay guys. So, I don't really know where that difference would be...

Quote:
What you're essentially asking me is what the difference between us would be if one of the things that make us different didn't exist. It's not a fair question.
It's basically why I find the whole us vs. them thing ridiculous, because it shouldn't be seen as this big of a thing. It's the worst trait of mankind - to fear and mistreat and form stereotypes on what you don't understand.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 07-10-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #100
Charlie No-One
iamamiwhoami

This needs to happen so bad.