The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
The Face
Side-Kick

Default What is Fox's gameplan?

Looking at the list of superhero movies coming out in the next few years I noticed something odd; 20th Century Fox is releasing a whopping three films in 2016 (Deadpool, Gambit, X-Men Apocalypse) but then only 'The Wolverine 3' in 2017 (and Fant4stic 2 which they are still insisting is going to happen, good thing Tommy Wiseau has expressed an interest in directing ) and then an unnamed X-Men movie in 2018.
What's the deal? Fox has stated that X-Men Apocalypse is supposed to be the end of the old era but also a reboot for their own X-Men Cinematic Universe with a wide range of sequels and spin-offs. If that is the case then where are they? What titles are they planning to adapt?
What do you guys think the plan is? Is there even a plan?

Last edited by The Face; 10-20-2015 at 08:58 AM.
The Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Flint Marko
Dr. Strange >

Default Re: What is Fox's gameplan?

We'll have to discuss this once Apocalypse comes out, but as of now I don't really see them having a plan.
That being said, they're different than WB/Marvel in that they only own one property (I'm not going to count the FF because we've seen them thoroughly take a dump on that franchise) that they can really make a "shared universe" off of. They don't really need to do that; they can keep cranking out films that loosely relate to one another and probably be fine for the recent future.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 10-20-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I don't think they have an end game right now. Gambit is sort of struggling to get off the ground. Wasn't X-Force scrapped? New mutanys is being developed. FF2 is not happening. Who knows? It'd suck for them to introduce the young X-Men in Apocalypse and have them not appear in future films.

TeeKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
psylockolussus
A Hybrid Mutant

Quote:
Is there even a plan?
They will continue to make more movies since its the nature of their business.

P S Y L O C K E in X - M E N : A P O C A L Y P S E
a n d
C O L O S S U S in D E A D P O O L
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Gambit is the biggest questionmark because it doesn't have a director right now. That being said, I think they'd want to keep it in 2016 if they can help it. The movies are fairly spread out in 2016. 2017 has some strong hitters from Marvel and DC. In addition, do they want to do two solo movies (Gambit and Wolverine) in the same year? However, if they have production issues, it would be logical to push it back. That being said, keep in mind that it's Fox. They have non-X-Men properties as well that they make, so 2017 may be more or less crowded than you think.

2018 is probably New Mutants, which is pretty much ready to go from what it sounds like.

As for a plan, I think the plan is to wait for people to come up with ideas and then slot those ideas into their movie production schedule. I don't think they're plotting out movies to 2026 like Marvel.

ETA: July 2017 has War for the Planet of the Apes, which will probably be Fox's biggest film of that year. It also has Maze Runner in February. I think there's room for Gambit in September or October. I'm assuming they aren't going with Fantastic Four 2 in July, but who knows.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Last edited by Mike Murdock; 10-21-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Fox is giving Kingsman sequel the june 2017 release spot.

If Doug Liman says yes to gambit they will probally try to rush it like First Class to make the october release.if they can't they will have to push it to fall 2017 or possibly even summer 2018.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
magneto23
Side-Kick

Their game plan? Who knows if they have a big picture/long term plan. If history tells you anything, then they don't. Hopefully they have at least had discussions or tossed around ideas. First and foremost they need to lock up McAvoy.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Mr. Youtube
Banned User

Their gameplan? **** *****es make money? No? No one? Awwww.

Mr. Youtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Maybe it's because I haven't seen the new actors in X-Men: Apocalypse yet, but at this point I wouldn't be mad if X-Men: Apocalypse wrapped up the story of how the X-Men came together and Wolverine 3 handled closing out the story of the X-Men in the present/2023, putting on the cap on the entire saga.

I have enjoyed all these movies (except for X:WO and, despite some bright spots, X3) immensely and consider them to be at the top of the genre with other greats like The Dark Knight and The Avengers, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be interested in a more comic-faithful adaptation.

Build a universe moving forward with Deadpool (comic accurate looks for DP & Colossus is already a step in the right direction).

First Class & DOFP were good, as I'm sure X:A will be, but keeping the franchise stuck in the 80s or 90s is just shooting itself in the foot. And though the past is now a "new, uncertain world" we're still dealing with younger versions of characters we've already enjoyed as adults and being forced to experience them as they were 3 decades ago.

Keep Bryan Singer on as a exec producer (like Nolan in MOS) and bring some fresh blood to reboot.

Keep the in-development TV pilots as a separate continuity (like DC TV shows)

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
Maybe it's because I haven't seen the new actors in X-Men: Apocalypse yet, but at this point I wouldn't be mad if X-Men: Apocalypse wrapped up the story of how the X-Men came together and Wolverine 3 handled closing out the story of the X-Men in the present/2023, putting on the cap on the entire saga.

I have enjoyed all these movies (except for X:WO and, despite some bright spots, X3) immensely and consider them to be at the top of the genre with other greats like The Dark Knight and The Avengers, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be interested in a more comic-faithful adaptation.

Build a universe moving forward with Deadpool (comic accurate looks for DP & Colossus is already a step in the right direction).

First Class & DOFP were good, as I'm sure X:A will be, but keeping the franchise stuck in the 80s or 90s is just shooting itself in the foot. And though the past is now a "new, uncertain world" we're still dealing with younger versions of characters we've already enjoyed as adults and being forced to experience them as they were 3 decades ago.

Keep Bryan Singer on as a exec producer (like Nolan in MOS) and bring some fresh blood to reboot.

Keep the in-development TV pilots as a separate continuity (like DC TV shows)
where to begain.

Since DOFP erased much of franchise they have no relvence to X-Men,X2,Last stand

You really think fox is going to quit making X-Men films. to that I say
hahahaha

Wolverine is laregly stand alone.more likely just followup to future ending of DOFP and swan song to hugh jackman and original cast.

They are likely going to set Gambit and new mutants In 1980's.

The idea of Deadpool as start of new universe when it opens before apocalypse and wolverine is very unlikely.

Hellfire and Legion as shows they selected hints they are going to expand the universe not create seperate tv universe.

Bryan Singer as executive producer of tv shows suggests he is not leaving franchise.In all likelyhood he would be active producer on next full X-Men film after apocalypse while he directs 20,000 leagues under the sea with possibilty of taking over again as director In future.

Simon Kinberg already said the fox model is similar to DIsney/Lucasfilm's
approach to Star Wars.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They will continue to make more movies since its the nature of their business.
Pretty much.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
starscream22
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face View Post
Is there even a plan?
Quote:
"I have a lot of ideas on how to built those brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," ~Kinberg
Quote:
"I actually think we’ve got the perfect thing right now and because I’m friends with the Marvel guys, there’s a good relationship there, there’s no rivalry between Fox and Marvel or anything" ~Mark Millar
Quote:
"They’re going to sue me, but look: can someone at Marvel and someone at Fox talk, and with Doom, just lend him out, like football?" ~Toby Kebbell
No.... There no real plan.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Zant
Side-Kick

Wait, I thought WB/DC were the ones that had no plans lol. People never learn.

Zant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Fox don't have a plan, they may have an idea of what they may possibly want do but I doubt there is a particular direction they are moving toward

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Smilodon
Side-Kick

There is definitely no overarching plan for Fox, they basically take it project by project. They scrapped X-Force because it used Apocalypse for crying out loud.

Smilodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #16
starscream22
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Wait, I thought WB/DC were the ones that had no plans lol. People never learn.
BvS and CW have potential to pass the billion dollar mark considerably., while XM: OOZE will struggle to match DOFP's numbers.

Who's planning is in question again...

Old 10-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #17
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Remember that time when some people on here thought Man Steel was a shoe-in for the Billion Dollar Club.

Yea, nothing's a certainty...

Last edited by EnDz0n3; 10-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.
EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 AM   #18
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream22 View Post
BvS and CW have potential to pass the billion dollar mark considerably., while XM: OOZE will struggle to match DOFP's numbers.

Who's planning is in question again...
Ah but you see when it comes to Xmen Fox are not scared or insecure like Sony, who panics and runs for help or reboot at any potential signs of trouble. Sony also had plans too once upon a time (Aunt May spin off lol)

Other studios can announce all their films from now till 2163, don't think they care. They have been making these films since 2000 they won't stop now, not in this superhero movie era.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #19
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
but keeping the franchise stuck in the 80s or 90s is just shooting itself in the foot. And though the past is now a "new, uncertain world" we're still dealing with younger versions of characters we've already enjoyed as adults and being forced to experience them as they were 3 decades ago.
Because we got to enjoy Cyclops so much, right? Nightcrawler and Angel were one and done characters. Many would argue Storm hasn't been done justice yet. Same for the Scott & Jean relationship. There's a lot they can show us with the young characters.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ah but you see when it comes to Xmen Fox are not scared or insecure like Sony, who panics and runs for help or reboot at any potential signs of trouble. Sony also had plans too once upon a time (Aunt May spin off lol)

Other studios can announce all their films from now till 2163, don't think they care. They have been making these films since 2000 they won't stop now, not in this superhero movie era.
I have gone on record saying I think Apocalypse may fail at least domesticly
to reach what DOFP did.Apocalypse doesn't have Hugh jackman.and it remains
to be seen if younger versions of characters will have same appeal return of original cast had with DOFP.

The member you quoted hates X-Men and fox as you can tell with how he refears to X-Men.

people shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch.AOU did less than
people expected.and Man of steel at one time was thought to be a sure billion dollar film.That doesn't mean I am saying Apocalypse will do a
billion dollars WW eather.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #21
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

X-Men: Apocalypse has alot going for it but i think a certain amount will depend on the official trailer, not the teaser but the actually finished effects trailer where we get to see if singer has stepped up on the visuals

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I have gone on record saying I think Apocalypse may fail at least domesticly
to reach what DOFP did.Apocalypse doesn't have Hugh jackman.and it remains
to be seen if younger versions of characters will have same appeal return of original cast had with DOFP.

The member you quoted hates X-Men and fox as you can tell with how he refears to X-Men.

people shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch.AOU did less than
people expected.and Man of steel at one time was thought to be a sure billion dollar film.That doesn't mean I am saying Apocalypse will do a
billion dollars WW eather.
Oh yeah, I know about the member. He is a Fox hater only interested in studio wars. He thinks he is in the FF thread.

I want all the comic book movies to over perform next year, even TMNT 2 lol.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #23
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know about the member. He is a Fox hater only interested in studio wars. He thinks he is in the FF thread.

I want all the comic book movies to over perform next year, even TMNT 2 lol.
I will probally be seeing deadpool,BVS,Apocalypse,and Surcide squad next year in theaters.Civil war depends on the trailer.even though I am not wild on rumors I am hearing on Spider-man.Right now i am not wild on Dr Strange
although trailer could always change my mind.

I have no desire to refight FF battles in X-Men boards.that is why i am glad i learned how to use ignore list

Old 10-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #24
starscream22
Banned User

Quote:

Wait....did you not just read those quotes about Marvel Studios from individuals under Fox-Marvel's employ????

When it comes to being with the MCU or like the MCU... Millar has begged, Shular-Donner had wished, Kinberg had promised, Singer had eavesdropped (QS) and Jackman their franchise player has pleaded numerous times to be a part of Marvel. So to say that Fox-Marvel has been walking around making CBM's without Marvel's influence is hilarious!

And 2 good examples of when people have jumped from Fox to Marvel would be Feige and Evans who both joined Marvel Studios and never looked back. Plus the Spider-Man franchise is now a part of the MCU and has been revitalized after having 3 lackluster films.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #25
SoNicRaDiATioN
sad & beautiful

Cynically, the gameplan is too keep the X-Men (possibly FF) away from Marvel. That means we'll be getting plenty of X-films in the future. How Apocalypse performs will have little bearing on their course of action. I think it'll be big, just not on the BvS or Star Wars level, though nothing else will be either. The only real uncertainty is what they do with the Fantastic Four.