The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #826
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: The X-FORCE Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
I think comparing side characters of the X-Men like Warpath, Blink and Bishop to Captain America, Iron Man and Thor is a major stretch. It would be more like taking Avengers members like Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch after Age of Ultron and making them the... West Coast Avengers?

And I understand introducing new characters, which I'm all for. But I don't feel Warpath, Blink, Bishop or Colossus have been given any characterization or depth whatsoever. They haven't been explored at all. You got teases of the characters, 90% action sequences. Using them as the team for this movie would take characters the audience has seen before and expanding them, giving them real traits the audience can connect with. I think showing growth in a character like Bobby Drake would be nice for the audience. As for the team doing morally questionable things, I think it the characters chosen could understandably pull that off. Especially since, as I've said before, their characters haven't been truly explored or defined.
I don't think it's a major stretch when you have characters that have been developed through 4 films now like Iceman. If you use mostly X-Men who have been on the side of Prof X through these films then they are pretty much X-Men. And that's how the audience has known them. No reason for a name change with them. While I'll agree newer side characters like Blink and Warpath would be a good addition I disagree with Colossus and Iceman. Colossus belongs with the X-Men. Even in the books he didn't fit on the team and that was part of his arc there. Iceman, like the case with Colossus is too good of a guy. They just are not the best option here.

This team is really reserved for names like Cable, Domino, Fantomex, Warpath, Psylocke, Deadpool, Wolfsbane, Boom Boom, X-23 etc. They are all either crazy, revenge based, Mercs, Assasins, thiefs or military based characters and have aggression,stability and trust issues. That's part of the appeal of the team. It's chaotic with clashing testosterone. They are not ones to follow the teachings of Prof X 100%. They brake the rules and kill with lots of knives and guns. If any more X-Men based characters were to be included I would go with Gambit, Wolverine, Magik or Bishop. Other rule breakers with skills, personality and weapons more applicable to the X-Force reputation.

While nothing needs to follow the comic 100% roster wise it should base itself around what it has stood for. If the X-Force name gets used on safe characters like Colossus and Iceman then your essentially cutting out X-Force's main drive in favor to appealing more to X-Men film characters. Not giving Cable, Wolverine, or Psylcokes a team leader position would kind of be like not giving Prof X, Cylcops or Wolverine a leader position on the first X-Men film. We need something new. So when these two teams meet there can be friction. Not catching up.

So agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited by def28; 06-03-2014 at 05:30 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #827
kasjan
Side-Kick

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #828
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I don't think it's a major stretch when you have characters that have been developed through 4 films now like Iceman. If you use mostly X-Men who have been on the side of Prof X through these films then they are pretty much X-Men. And that's how the audience has known them. No reason for a name change with them. While I'll agree newer side characters like Blink and Warpath would be a good addition I disagree with Colossus and Iceman. Colossus belongs with the X-Men. Even in the books he didn't fit on the team and that was part of his arc there. Iceman, like the case with Colossus is too good of a guy. They just are not the best option here.

This team is really reserved for names like Cable, Domino, Fantomex, Warpath, Psylocke, Deadpool, Wolfsbane, Boom Boom, X-23 etc. They are all either crazy, revenge based, Mercs, Assasins, thiefs or military based characters and have aggression,stability and trust issues. That's part of the appeal of the team. It's chaotic with clashing testosterone. They are not ones to follow the teachings of Prof X 100%. They brake the rules and kill with lots of knives and guns. If any more X-Men based characters were to be included I would go with Gambit, Wolverine, Magik or Bishop. Other rule breakers with skills, personality and weapons more applicable to the X-Force reputation.

While nothing needs to follow the comic 100% roster wise it should base itself around what it has stood for. If the X-Force name gets used on safe characters like Colossus and Iceman then your essentially cutting out X-Force's main drive in favor to appealing more to X-Men film characters. Not giving Cable, Wolverine, or Psylcokes a team leader position would kind of be like not giving Prof X, Cylcops or Wolverine a leader position on the first X-Men film. We need something new. So when these two teams meet there can be friction. Not catching up.

So agree to disagree I guess.
Completely agree with everything you said here. Why call it X-Force if you're not going to utilize any characters that were actually a part of the team?

X-Force is most definitely Psylocke, Cable, Fantomex, Domino, Deadpool and other characters you named. Anything outside of that is a giant waste of time.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #829
Rike
Something strange here?

That's a neat idea, TheHeatKitchen.

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #830
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Why call it X-Force if you're not going to utilize any characters that were actually a part of the team?
Exactly.

While I'm sure non X-Force fans wouldn't care, it would just be a waste of the X-Force name and characters it's more deserving of. No reason for that. If they ever wanted that roster call it something else and problem solved.

Last edited by def28; 06-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #831
Rike
Something strange here?

Okay, let's call it "X-Men's Black Ops Team".

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote