The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: Do you think Fantastic Four has a chance to be seen as a successful movie series?
yes 25 65.79%
no 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

SHH! Do you think Fantastic Four has a chance to can be seen a successful movie series?

...a chance to be seen a successful movie series?

Like Spider-Man, X-Men and Marvel: Cinematic Universe?

Its interesting to see that back in 2005 to 2007, Fantastic Four was the third most successful Marvel film series. The first Fantastic Four film performed like the first X-Men movie and even though the sequel didn't earn more money, it still outgrossed Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk (worldwide), Ghost Rider, Punisher and the Blade movies. And FF/FFOTSS weren't even good movies but if they were as good as the first two Spider-Man/X-Men films, they would probably earned more money, there would have been a sequel to FF2 and things could have been really different.

Now that Fox is rebooting Fantastic Four, do you think Fantastic Four still have a chance in succeeding (critically and financially) like the Spider-Man, the X-Men Movies and the MCU films and be seen as a successful movie series?

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Do you think Fantastic Four has a chance to can be seen a successful movie series

Fantastic Four would work best in the MCU. So while it is with Fox I don't think it can ever reach its true potential. That said, I expect this new movie (if ti actually comes out) to do just well enough to start a new franchise

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think Fantastic Four has a chance to can be seen a successful movie series

I truly think it can do well if marketed right. That being said, if the rights ever return to Marvel/Disney, then I think it will have a very high chance, as it will be able to tie into the MCU, showcasing the FF characters and references in other MCU films.

GriffinSTatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Fantastic Four is the single remaining major Marvel property that hasn't had a decent film made yet.

Can it be succesful?

Yes. Absolutely. If done right, the characters are strong enough to be hugely succesful (as they were in the comics).

Will Fox put the time and effort into doing it right?

That's a much trickier question and I would lead toward 'no' on that with the result being a not particularly successful series.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Fox just really needs to hire the right people. They have Josh Trank, Mark Millar and Matthew Vaughn but I'm not confident with the writers they hired for the film.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I was someone who trusted (or at least didn't not trust) Fox with FF. That was until Michael B J was highly rumored to be the new Johnny Storm. From there my hope has went all downhill. I have no problems changing the race or gender or sexuality of minor support characters that don't have much to do with the story. I have a problem changing established main characters for no reason.

I think it was Josh Trank who said Michael B J was the better actor so that's why he would be given the role..... . Just No. I could understand if making Johnny Storm black gave some new extraordinary take on the character but according to Trank it's not even because of that.

In my opinion Trank has four options if he goes through with this.
1. Make Johnny black and keep Sue white and make one of them adopted. The lesser of the evils, has the potential to be okay but the change in dynamics between all the characters would be major. And let's all remember the family dynamic is an important theme in FF.
2. Make Johnny black and Sue black too. The relationship between the family especially between Sue and Reed will be substantially changed and if not handled correctly, disastrous.
3. Make Johnny black and not related to Sue. Just no.
4. Make Johnny black, related to a white Sue and just never mention it. The s***storm that would follow this would tank the film so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

In my opinion none of those options even remotely allow for a good reason to change the race of Johnny Storm.

In the end I think if they go through with this, the film has a very big potential to tank because of it. I don't understand why directors or writers think they need to change things to give this false sense of "progression." Wanna be progressive, go and fight for a minority, gay, female superhero film to be made. Don't change what's not broken.

Edit: and since this is online and you can't see me this is all coming from a african american comic lover.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Fantastic Four certainly has potential to be in the same league as Avengers. But I really hope Marvel gets the rights back, Fantastic Four belongs in the MCU.

lozzy.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I definitely think it has the chance to be just as viable as the other successful superhero franchises.

Whether or not the FF belong in the MCU aside, the proposed possibility of an X-Men/FF crossover is equally exciting, IMO.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Lord
All Mighty

Not sure about FF/ X-Men crossover, both series seem set in diferent universes, one has a superpowered family treated as celebrities, while the other has superpowered people being persecuted.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

You are aware of Marvel Comics right? Where The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, the FF and countless other characters all exist within a shared universe, often crossing over into each other's stories and in universe-spanning stories often referred to as "events", right?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
the proposed possibility of an X-Men/FF crossover is equally exciting, IMO.
Exactly! Just imagine how these superhero teams would look infront of the screen. X-Men in their black costumes and Fantastic Four in their blue costumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Not sure about FF/ X-Men crossover, both series seem set in diferent universes, one has a superpowered family treated as celebrities, while the other has superpowered people being persecuted.
They could change that in the FF reboot and make a low-key superhero team that usually works outside of Earth.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are aware of Marvel Comics right? Where The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, the FF and countless other characters all exist within a shared universe, often crossing over into each other's stories and in universe-spanning stories often referred to as "events", right?
The comic and movie universes are very different places. Including the Wolverine, we are six films into the X-Men film series without a hint of the supernatural or worlds outside of the mutant-filled one that appears onscreen. The origins of Phoenix and Juggernaut were both modified to fit into Singer's vision of a world just like our own with the exception of genetic human mutations. In contrast, the MCU traveled to another dimension by their third film.

In interviews Singer has appeared reluctant to expand the FOX X-Men Universe to accommodate a team of colorfully dressed victims of a cosmic accident. I think that's the wise call.

Last edited by Zarex; 07-14-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
In interviews Singer has appeared reluctant to expand the FOX X-Men Universe to accommodate a team of colorfully dressed victims of a cosmic accident. I think that's the wise call.
Thank God Whedon isn't so narrow-minded!

Spider‑Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

And its a shame actual "fans" like Zarex is so narrow minded.

Besides, to speak to his general ignorance, Singer isn't even the one who'll have a say on whether they'll be able to cross over or not.

It's Mark Millar who's in charge of that. And he's into it.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
And its a shame actual "fans" like Zarex is so narrow minded.

Besides, to speak to his general ignorance, Singer isn't even the one who'll have a say on whether they'll be able to cross over or not.

It's Mark Millar who's in charge of that. And he's into it.
Blame Singer for being narrow minded. I don't remember exactly what I was doing in the late 90s, but I wasnt creating an onscreen X-Men universe.

And if you think consultant Mark Millar has authority over the man who has actually made hundreds of millions (and counting) in profit for NewsCorp, you don't understand how business works.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
...a chance to be seen a successful movie series?

Like Spider-Man, X-Men and Marvel: Cinematic Universe?

Its interesting to see that back in 2005 to 2007, Fantastic Four was the third most successful Marvel film series. The first Fantastic Four film performed like the first X-Men movie and even though the sequel didn't earn more money, it still outgrossed Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk (worldwide), Ghost Rider, Punisher and the Blade movies. And FF/FFOTSS weren't even good movies but if they were as good as the first two Spider-Man/X-Men films, they would probably earned more money, there would have been a sequel to FF2 and things could have been really different.

Now that Fox is rebooting Fantastic Four, do you think Fantastic Four still have a chance in succeeding (critically and financially) like the Spider-Man, the X-Men Movies and the MCU films and be seen as a successful movie series?
No.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #17
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Blame Singer for being narrow minded. I don't remember exactly what I was doing in the late 90s, but I wasnt creating an onscreen X-Men universe.

And if you think consultant Mark Millar has authority over the man who has actually made hundreds of millions (and counting) in profit for NewsCorp, you don't understand how business works.
Yeah Mark Miller hasn't even been all that vocal with comic films save for Kickass 2. And that's because of Singer shooting down all his idea's of a crossover.

Even Whedon said that his job over at Marvel wasn't to rock the boat. So how much power would Miller have claiming the same role?

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Yes.

One of the things that I hated about the first movie was that it was over done with comedy. You had scenes like Reed reaching for toilet paper and Johnny putting shaving cream on Ben's hands and tickling him with a feather. The movie just wasn't taken seriously.

The franchise can be successful. It's just a matter of how much effort they put into it.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

i wanna see Mole-Man!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #20
Crimz
Side-Kick

Yes, it has the potential to be one of the best superhero movies ever. The problem is whether FOX will put in the effort to make it a great film. I, like many others, want the rights to revert back to Marvel. It is where their potential can be fully realized. The thought of a F4/X-Men crossover makes my skin crawl . It doesn't make sense at all and you would have to change key aspects of the X universe for it to work. The comics also do not handle crossovers with the X-Men well. A crossover with the Avengers and F4 would be awesome.

Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

I said no just because of Fox but in general of course it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
i wanna see Mole-Man!
Me too

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

We could have a serious franchise as there are innumerable CLASSIC Marvel villains that could be used in FF movies... AND NOT JUST DOOM... Mole-Man, Annihilus, The Beyonder, Skrulls, Frightful Four, Giganto, The Kree.... I could go on an on!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
Crimz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
We could have a serious franchise as there are innumerable CLASSIC Marvel villains that could be used in FF movies... AND NOT JUST DOOM... Mole-Man, Annihilus, The Beyonder, Skrulls, Frightful Four, Giganto, The Kree.... I could go on an on!
I think FOX can't use the Kree.

Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimz View Post
i think fox can't use the kree.
why?