The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #226
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Another little thing I loved that most people don't notice- Superman's flight acrobatics:

The scene where the soldier is falling from the helicopter and superman saves him. Very basic, until you see how he did it. He flies into him and upon catching him, literally does a flip in the air to land on his feet. Watch it again in slow mo and you will see. I think they also show that in the pre-vis on the special features.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #227
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Little thing I loved- after he gets thrown into the bank vault..that initially stumble as if that really hurt was a magnificent touch. His head was down and he he took a step or two down as though he would collapse.

While MOS's Superman was the 'weakest' in terms of power, it was for this reason that I liked to movie most, by toning it down a bit, he actually seemed more powerful because the whole thing seemed more believable.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #228
Azrael24
Side-Kick

I'm just posting away- Also, loved the shaky cam making you feel like you were there...I know I know some of you didn't like it and yes there were times I wish things were far more clear and less shaky, but some of it worked for me. Examples:

-On Krypton where the black zero was lifting off into space, the camera was beneath it and you got water drops and moisture on the lens from the take off and exhaust

-When the world engine was landing how the camera kept refocusing due to it's speed..loved it.

-How the camera shook as Superman flew past it into Zod's ship

There are many more but I loved it in general

Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #229
Azrael24
Side-Kick

I also love the only real slow motion scene in the movie when Superman was in space about to save Lois. That shot where he was turning and the cape is floating is so powerful, because that is the FIRST time in the movie where Kal-El (in his uniform) actually does anything as Superman. Everything else is Clark helping...but that's our first shot of the Man of Steel. So the slow mo was a nice touch.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #230
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
Little thing I loved- after he gets thrown into the bank vault..that initially stumble as if that really hurt was a magnificent touch. His head was down and he he took a step or two down as though he would collapse.

While MOS's Superman was the 'weakest' in terms of power, it was for this reason that I liked to movie most, by toning it down a bit, he actually seemed more powerful because the whole thing seemed more believable.
He wasn't Hurt by the Vault. He was Dazed by Faora's Over hand Punch to the head that preceded the Vault toss. He only felt Pain when his flesh came into contact with high velocity Krytonian Metal/Flesh. He's not exactly weaker. He's just as strong as the other supermen. Goyer and Snyder just aren't treating his powers as a Deus ex Machina.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #231
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I'm just posting away- Also, loved the shaky cam making you feel like you were there...I know I know some of you didn't like it and yes there were times I wish things were far more clear and less shaky, but some of it worked for me. Examples:

-On Krypton where the black zero was lifting off into space, the camera was beneath it and you got water drops and moisture on the lens from the take off and exhaust

-When the world engine was landing how the camera kept refocusing due to it's speed..loved it.

-How the camera shook as Superman flew past it into Zod's ship

There are many more but I loved it in general
I actually liked the shaky cam in Man of Steel. Usually I'm not a fan at all but I think it was interesting to have that kind of camera work in such a CGI heavy film. It made the fantastic look even more fantastic.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #232
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I actually liked the shaky cam in Man of Steel. Usually I'm not a fan at all but I think it was interesting to have that kind of camera work in such a CGI heavy film. It made the fantastic look even more fantastic.
I like the fact that they didn't use shaky cam as a means to mask a lack of action (Ghost Rider 2/Taken 2). MOS used shaky cam as an after effected that reflected the power of certain attacks.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #233
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I like the fact that they didn't use shaky cam as a means to mask a lack of action (Ghost Rider 2/Taken 2). MOS used shaky cam as an after effected that reflected the power of certain attacks.
I get what you are saying although I haven't seen your two examples.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #234
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

One of the things I really appreciated in this movie is that Synder used A LOT of true, blue military personnel. That's totally awesome and I'm sure that was great fun for those service men and women who got to participate. I'm upset there were no Navy representatives...but hey...there's always the next movie. ;-)

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #235
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
He wasn't Hurt by the Vault. He was Dazed by Faora's Over hand Punch to the head that preceded the Vault toss. He only felt Pain when his flesh came into contact with high velocity Krytonian Metal/Flesh. He's not exactly weaker. He's just as strong as the other supermen. Goyer and Snyder just aren't treating his powers as a Deus ex Machina.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #236
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The entire point of the vault was Snyder stated the only thing that would stop him would be a vault. It was meant to hurt him. He looked like it hurt as he stepped off it. To me at least.

He felt pain. That's what I liked. Why wouldn't he? He's fighting other Kryptonians, it's a known fact he's invulnerable unless that person is near his level of strength. He did get knocked out twice in the film. One by Faora's clothesline and another by the sucker punch from Non. So I enjoyed that.

No, he is definitely weaker. Donner's Superman moved the moon, lifted the earth during an earthquake and caught a helicopter with one hand. Singer's Superman lifted a damn continent and took a bullet to the eye. They stated he was flying at the speed of light as he went country to country saving people.

This Superman breaks the sound barrier, but not as fast as SR Superman. He gets shot and it pushes his head back, not take a bullet to the eye. And he had to use strength to hold up the oil rig, not lift a continent. He's weaker. But it's a good thing. That's why Byrne rebooted him as weaker, too strong of a Superman is honestly very very boring to watch, even as a fan.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #237
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
One of the things I really appreciated in this movie is that Synder used A LOT of true, blue military personnel. That's totally awesome and I'm sure that was great fun for those service men and women who got to participate. I'm upset there were no Navy representatives...but hey...there's always the next movie. ;-)
Agreed. And Kudos to Snyder and co. for even having the military in the film. Avengers had a world wide invasion and I didn't so much as see an F16, Tank..nada. Made it waaaaay too unbelievable. Still a good movie, but MOS trumps IMO.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #238
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I honestly didnt think he came across as much weaker as he did in the Donner movies and SR, you have to remember the oil rig sequence was early in his career, as Jor-El later tells him, he will only see what he is truly capable of by testing his limits. He later learns to fly and came across as more powerful later in the movie than at the start.

I think his power will continue to grow in the sequel/s, as he keeps testing his limits, he will keep realising he capable of amazing and more powerful things.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #239
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I honestly didnt think he came across as much weaker as he did in the Donner movies and SR, you have to remember the oil rig sequence was early in his career, as Jor-El later tells him, he will only see what he is truly capable of by testing his limits. He later learns to fly and came across as more powerful later in the movie than at the start.

I think his power will continue to grow in the sequel/s, as he keeps testing his limits, he will keep realising he capable of amazing and more powerful things.
I see your point. I still think the bullet thing alone seals the deal. His head gets knocked back and he gets knocked out of flight with the bullets from the plane. In SR, a gatling gun bullet to the eye..not even a blink.

My point is, I LIKE the level of power he is at. I HATED Donner's level of power. I always thought Superman needs to be brought down just a tad in films to make the fantasy more tangible. But that's me. I mean SV had the most powerful Kal-El in history. You are talking unreal strength.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #240
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Agreed. And Kudos to Snyder and co. for even having the military in the film. Avengers had a world wide invasion and I didn't so much as see an F16, Tank..nada. Made it waaaaay too unbelievable. Still a good movie, but MOS trumps IMO.
Agreed. I really enjoyed that fact. Those tanks in the background were REAL tanks! I could tell.

It was also obvious he had the cooperation of the military because when those Rangers were walking around they looked like Rangers I have actually seen in real life. Even the lingo they were using was appropriate. "Danger close".

Just seriously...as a Vet I appreciated that. I have seen camera crews on base before and they act like we are just peons. Nice to know they were included.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #241
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I see your point. I still think the bullet thing alone seals the deal. His head gets knocked back and he gets knocked out of flight with the bullets from the plane. In SR, a gatling gun bullet to the eye..not even a blink.

My point is, I LIKE the level of power he is at. I HATED Donner's level of power. I always thought Superman needs to be brought down just a tad in films to make the fantasy more tangible. But that's me. I mean SV had the most powerful Kal-El in history. You are talking unreal strength.
It's not just you because when the film was being made I said that I'd prefer that the character be depowered. I argued that opinion with other posters before.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #242
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really hope they really make the military an important part of this Snyder Superman saga. I hope it becomes Superman's Gotham police department.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #243
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
It's not just you because when the film was being made I said that I'd prefer that the character be depowered. I argued that opinion with other posters before.
The problem wasn't and isn't about Superman's Power level. It was with the writing. In the older movies and TV shows they treated Superman as a walking talking Deus ex Machina where Superman shows up and saves the day with ease. Insted of crafting story around Superman dealing with other high level being like in the comics. They would have Superman deal with conventional plot devices like catching missiles or saving people from natural and man made disasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post

That's the thing I love. That way we get to see Superman's powers grow over time and it makes it so that we as the viewer don't go "Oh well Superman can handle that with no problem". He has to push him self to over come the situation. It gives you the feeling that Superman actually has obstacle to over come instead it feeling like a boring cake walk. On top of that they do it with out putting limitation on Superman Powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Agreed. I really enjoyed that fact. Those tanks in the background were REAL tanks! I could tell.

It was also obvious he had the cooperation of the military because when those Rangers were walking around they looked like Rangers I have actually seen in real life. Even the lingo they were using was appropriate. "Danger close".

Just seriously...as a Vet I appreciated that. I have seen camera crews on base before and they act like we are just peons. Nice to know they were included.
Well technically in the Avengers the National Guard showed up towards the end of the film. The whole point of the Avengers was that they were meant to be a early response team. Add to that the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D kept the American Government in the dark about Loki. When every thing when down the US Military was caught flat footed. Also The Avengers movie lost Military support because the Military couldn't wrap there minds around how S.H.I.E.L.D operated.

http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-u...-contr-170280/
Quote:
The Avengers may have spent the last week wowing critics and breaking box office records, but Joss Whedon and company reportedly had to accomplish both feats without the assistance of the U. S. military. Although the Defense Department usually jumps at the opportunity to contribute resources to high-profile Hollywood actioners, it took issue with several aspects of the film, especially the role of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Like any organization, the U. S. military strives to cultivate a certain public image, which may explain the Pentagonís close involvement with a plethora of recent films, including the first Iron Man, and the upcoming Battleship. What better way to drum up support and attract new recruits than to showcase the armyís cutting-edge wares sticking it to a group of terrorists or alien invaders on the big screen? But using cinema as a tool for public relations can backfire, and the Defense Department was apparently wary of its portrayal in The Avengers. Ultimately, they opted to cut ties to the project, concerned that the film didnít accurately depict certain aspects of the militaryís inner workings.

At the heart of the Defense Departmentís qualms lay confusion over the actual purpose of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division), as well as its relationship to the U. S. military and government. According to Wired, Pentagon representatives couldnít discern whether S.H.I.E.L.D. is a of branch of the U.S. intelligence community (and therefore answers to the president), or is some sort of independent international organization.

The film seems to suggest that S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) takes orders from someone, since he clearly disobeys them toward the end. However, itís unclear who exactly he is seen chatting with via video monitors. They are obviously his superiors, but are they U. S. government or military officials, U. N. representatives, or some sort of private board of directors?

To all but the most die-hard Marvel aficionados, these questions seem rather trivial, and S.H.I.E.L.D.ís shadowy nature kind of adds to the fun. The Defense Department, on the other hand, apparently finds such ambiguity too risky. After all, the U. S. Military answering to forces other than the president and federal government could be construed as treasonous, and not something theyíd likely want any part of Ė even in the context of a superhero movie. Itís therefore unlikely that the Pentagon will provide much help to the proposed Nick Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D. solo film.

The militaryís one visible contribution to The Avengers is the small group of New York National Guard personnel and Humvees briefly seen during the climactic battle, but easily overlooked amid all the dazzling special effects.

The Avengers is now playing in theaters everywhere. It is Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout, and a mild drug reference.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-24-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #244
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I won't even debate a Marvel movie in a Superman thread....try again.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #245
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I really hope they really make the military an important part of this Snyder Superman saga. I hope it becomes Superman's Gotham police department.
But but.....no Dan Turpin??....I actually thought maybe Meloni might end up being that version of Turpin.....

Old 11-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #246
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem wasn't and isn't about Superman's Power level. It was with the writing. In the older movies and TV shows they treated Superman as a walking talking Deus ex Machina where Superman shows up and saves the day with ease. Insted of crafting story around Superman dealing with other high level being like in the comics. They would have Superman deal with conventional plot devices like catching missiles or saving people from natural and man made disasters.

That's the thing I love. That way we get to see Superman's powers grow over time and it makes it so that we as the viewer don't go "Oh well Superman can handle that with no problem". He has to push him self to over come the situation. It gives you the feeling that Superman actually has obstacle to over come instead it feeling like a boring cake walk. On top of that they do it with out putting limitation on Superman Powers.

Well technically in the Avengers the National Guard showed up towards the end of the film. The whole point of the Avengers was that they were meant to be a early response team. Add to that the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D kept the American Government in the dark about Loki. When every thing when down the US Military was caught flat footed. Also The Avengers movie lost Military support because the Military couldn't wrap there minds around how S.H.I.E.L.D operated.

http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-u...-contr-170280/
I disagree. Dan Jurgens is on record for commenting on MOS that the problem they may have is in the sequel giving him another challenge. He stated every writer has this issue with Superman due to the level of power. So you are correct and incorrect. If they power him down a tad, it's easier to craft a story. Especially in a shared universe that they are creating. I just think it's better he has limits. And that's what Snyder did, that's why I know he was depowered. Look in the special features of the disc, Snyder says they crafted a framework on what he could and couldn't do and tried to stay consistent (a problem Donner's movie suffered from).

I understand your comment on the Avengers, but it really doesn't change the fact that even if in the movie SHIELD kept the military at bay so everyone was caught off guard, you would still have seen a response to a freaking alien invasion. It's inexcusable for them not to be represented. Yes you have all kinds of Military in Captain America and Iron Man films...but an alien invasion should ALWAYS show the military in action. I could argue the same thing about Superman II.

And losing Military support is frankly no excuse. Independence Day lost military support for having Area 51 in the film. Yet ID4 still had heavy consultation and added them in. So, no excuse for me.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #247
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup. Superman is my favorite character...and what a lot of fans do not get for ANY comic character is..what works in the comics does not work in live action. It would be horrible to watch Hulk's comic book strength in live action..they powered him down too.

The way Snyder did him was perfect to me. Harkened back to John Byrne MOS reboot in the comics. I do not want Donner's ability to change time, rotation of the earth, lift the entire earth during earthquake, catching helicopters with one hand type of power. That is boring. Having a bit of a struggle was good. I expect him to be a bit more powerful possibly in the second..but please don't pull a SV or SR Kal-El on me.. That was too much.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #248
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
I disagree. Dan Jurgens is on record for commenting on MOS that the problem they may have is in the sequel giving him another challenge. He stated every writer has this issue with Superman due to the level of power. So you are correct and incorrect. If they power him down a tad, it's easier to craft a story. Especially in a shared universe that they are creating. I just think it's better he has limits. And that's what Snyder did, that's why I know he was depowered. Look in the special features of the disc, Snyder says they crafted a framework on what he could and couldn't do and tried to stay consistent (a problem Donner's movie suffered from).

I understand your comment on the Avengers, but it really doesn't change the fact that even if in the movie SHIELD kept the military at bay so everyone was caught off guard, you would still have seen a response to a freaking alien invasion. It's inexcusable for them not to be represented. Yes you have all kinds of Military in Captain America and Iron Man films...but an alien invasion should ALWAYS show the military in action. I could argue the same thing about Superman II.

And losing Military support is frankly no excuse. Independence Day lost military support for having Area 51 in the film. Yet ID4 still had heavy consultation and added them in. So, no excuse for me.
The national guard showed up towards the end of the Battle. They show up with rifle men and Humvees. They just didn't play a role in the initial phases of the invasion. They would have showed up with tanks and ect.. but the Military pulled out of the film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #249
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
The national guard showed up towards the end of the Battle. They show up with rifle men and Humvees. They just didn't play a role in the initial phases of the invasion. They would have showed up with tanks and ect.. but the Military pulled out of the film.
Correct. I'm just saying it's too far of a stretch for the battle to go on that long and it takes the military/national guard or whomever that much time.

Again, the military doesn't have to give a greenlight to be portrayed in a film. Them pulling out is zero excuse.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #250
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Back to the thread topic...another little thing I liked:

When Superman destroyed the World Engine and was laying there exhausted/hurt...that scene where he reaches for the sun was beautiful...because of the music. In the background there is that familiar lullaby playing..the same one that was playing during the sequence where his mother was holding him on Krypton. Listen or you'll miss it. Beautiful.