The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #251
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,785
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
Back to the thread topic...another little thing I liked:

When Superman destroyed the World Engine and was laying there exhausted/hurt...that scene where he reaches for the sun was beautiful...because of the music. In the background there is that familiar lullaby playing..the same one that was playing during the sequence where his mother was holding him on Krypton. Listen or you'll miss it. Beautiful.
That actually made me so happy because its like they added the importance of the sun into the mythos of the Superman Movieverse. I believe that later on it will mimic the the importance of the Sun in the comics.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #252
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,108
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Something I want to mention.

The explanation for the change in atmosphere and gravity giving Kryptonians abilities is from the 1940s and 1950s. The yellow sun concept was introduced in the 1960s. The film blended the two ideas together. So it was another nod to Superman's history.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #253
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Please post more of an explanation because it's so convoluted I can't figure it out.

edit:

The Sage I'm talking to you. I have heard this, but it doesn't make sense...even still.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #254
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,108
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Please post more of an explanation because it's so convoluted I can't figure it out.

edit:

The Sage I'm talking to you. I have heard this, but it doesn't make sense...even still.
This is my interpretation: In Man of Steel, Superman's powers are a result of him being exposed to the yellow sun and his body taking in the solar energy, as well as him adapting to Earth's atmosphere. As long as Kryptonians are in Earth's environment, they have access to those abilities from the yellow sun.

However, the environment of Krypton is much different and harsher, and while in it, they can't access their abilities, even if they're under a yellow sun. This is shown when Superman boards the Black Zero. His abilities are nullified, and none of the Kryptonians have powers either despite the yellow sun beaming into the ship. Because the ship's atmospheric composition is like Krypton, they don't have abilities.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #255
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

What you say makes sense, but I gotta think about this because something is still off to me. I can't figure out if it's the fact the Krytonians weren't so overwhelmed by the change in earth's atmosphere, or the fact Supes was so overwhelmed. Something doesn't make sense .

I gotta ponder what you said for a few moments.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #256
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.
 
MrMaooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MI6 Headquarters
Posts: 15,898
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I love how the World Engine just lifted up the cars and then BOOM! the cars are crushed.

__________________
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
MrMaooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #257
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,992
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
What you say makes sense, but I gotta think about this because something is still off to me. I can't figure out if it's the fact the Krytonians weren't so overwhelmed by the change in earth's atmosphere, or the fact Supes was so overwhelmed. Something doesn't make sense .

I gotta ponder what you said for a few moments.
If it helps, the only reasons why the Kryptonians (Zod and Company) weren't overwhelmed by Earth's atmosphere was because of her special helmets.

If you remember what Martha told Clark when he came back home for the first time after having been away for so long, she says that Clark had a hard time breathing when he was a baby. Since Clark was a newborn when he arrived on Earth, it was easier for his body to slowly adapt to Earth's atmosphere, and thus why he was able to master his powers by the time he encountered Zod.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #258
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If it helps, the only reasons why the Kryptonians (Zod and Company) weren't overwhelmed by Earth's atmosphere was because of her special helmets.

If you remember what Martha told Clark when he came back home for the first time after having been away for so long, she says that Clark had a hard time breathing when he was a baby. Since Clark was a newborn when he arrived on Earth, it was easier for his body to slowly adapt to Earth's atmosphere, and thus why he was able to master his powers by the time he encountered Zod.
I does help...though you know I want all my superhero movies to make sense dangit!

I don't know why this bugs, but it just does. Whenever I think about it I screw my face up in this weird frown trying to find the logic. I gotta let it go, but it just bugs me.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #259
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,108
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I does help...though you know I want all my superhero movies to make sense dangit!

I don't know why this bugs, but it just does. Whenever I think about it I screw my face up in this weird frown trying to find the logic. I gotta let it go, but it just bugs me.
Try this: The Yellow Sun gives Superman his powers, but he can only access them under an environment like Earth's. When in an environment like Krypton, his abilities are nullified.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #260
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Try this: The Yellow Sun gives Superman his powers, but he can only access them under an environment like Earth's. When in an environment like Krypton, his abilities are nullified.
It's not really that per se. Though the air thing does throw me off a bit. It's more that Zod so easily overcame the disorientation or whatever. I just can't buy that it was that easy, though I get that they did reinforce it was because he had trained his whole life. I just couldn't buy it. It doesn't jive for me.

Thanks for explaining it the way you did though. Broken down it makes more sense that way.


Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-30-2013 at 01:12 AM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #261
Jericholyte
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I must say I only noticed this during my last viewing:

Superman and Zod are fighting by the LexCorp truck and noticed that a car LANDS on Superman's shoulders and he just shrugs it off and carries on fighting.

LOVED IT!

Jericholyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #262
Azrael24
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 295
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
It's not really that per se. Though the air thing does throw me off a bit. It's more that Zod so easily overcame the disorientation or whatever. I just can't buy that it was that easy, though I get that they did reinforce it was because he had trained his whole life. I just couldn't buy it. It doesn't jive for me.

Thanks for explaining it the way you did though. Broken down it makes more sense that way.
I get that, but I think you just nailed it. He was genetically engineered to hone his skills. It is safe to say, if Zod had been on Earth as long as Kal-El he would be significantly superior. It took Kal-El time to learn to do what Zod did in a day basically. But again, Zod is genetically designed to be a warrior. Kal is not.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #263
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,108
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
I get that, but I think you just nailed it. He was genetically engineered to hone his skills. It is safe to say, if Zod had been on Earth as long as Kal-El he would be significantly superior. It took Kal-El time to learn to do what Zod did in a day basically. But again, Zod is genetically designed to be a warrior. Kal is not.
That's why Zod spat out that line saying, "I was born to be a warrior, Kal. Trained my whole life to hone my senses. Where did you train? On a farm?!!"

He pretty much was emphasizing his advantage, and during the battle Zod was on offense mostly, knocking Kal around like he was.

I liked that too. It was always weird to me in the comics that Kal's abilities had to develop over time, from the moment of his arrival to becoming adult. But then other Kryptonians would arrive, and after shorter exposure to the yellow sun, would have his abilities and already be on his level.

It wasn't that easy in Man of Steel. Kryptonians really had to adapt to the Earth's environment to get full access. Most of them couldn't handle it, so the shielding was used and they only had access to a few abilities. Zod, because of his determination and genetic programming, adapted to the environment completely and had everything. Though really, Zod was still in the process of adapting in the end.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #264
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,785
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
It's not really that per se. Though the air thing does throw me off a bit. It's more that Zod so easily overcame the disorientation or whatever. I just can't buy that it was that easy, though I get that they did reinforce it was because he had trained his whole life. I just couldn't buy it. It doesn't jive for me.

Thanks for explaining it the way you did though. Broken down it makes more sense that way.
The whole point is that Zod is the most Superior of all the Kryptonians soliders. In a why he's kind of Kryptons Captain America. Zod learning curve is fair greater than any of this contemporaries when it comes to combat. He has Nature and Nurture working on his side. Zod gain imperfect control over his powers. Its wasn't the magical 100% control of everything at once. He drew from his training the ability to hone his basic senses vision and hearing and suppress his Super Hearing and X-ray vision. Clark learned how to do it at school when his mother walked him through it. Zod still didn't have full control over his Heat Vision. It hurt like hell when ever he used it and he had trouble figuring out how to turn it off.

Now here the thing about the flight power. It took Superman a day to learn how to fly. Faora and Nam-Ek learn how to use there flight propulsion in a very basic way during the Smallville fight and that was there first time seting foot on earth. They used it to instaBlizz and slide across the ground instead of running. You can see the distorted pressure waves bend the light behind them.



Since Zod is superior to both Faora, Nam-Ek, and Superman. He learned how to fly just from watching how Superman used his propulsion powers during the first half of the Metropolis fight and he just mimic him just to flaunt his Superiority. You don't get to be the General of an entire planet of genetically enhance aliens and not in some way be superior to all the soldiers beneath you. Zod wasn't just a Krytonian he was the cream of the crop.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-30-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #265
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,352
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

That's soo cool smash.....I didn't notice that they were sort of skating on the ground to maneuver since they didn't know how to fly....soo cool man

__________________
I hate the internet
manofsteel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #266
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
I get that, but I think you just nailed it. He was genetically engineered to hone his skills. It is safe to say, if Zod had been on Earth as long as Kal-El he would be significantly superior. It took Kal-El time to learn to do what Zod did in a day basically. But again, Zod is genetically designed to be a warrior. Kal is not.
Yeah, I see that, but they really played up how overwhelming the heightened senses could be. I would have liked to seen more than just that one scene with Zod clenching his fist before taking the scout ship. Just one more... It would have helped because I still have a really hard time buying it. I'm going to though, but it's a hard purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Since Zod is superior to both Faora, Nam-Ek, and Superman. He learned how to fly just from watching how Superman used his propulsion powers during the first half of the Metropolis fight and he just mimic him just to flaunt his Superiority. You don't get to be the General of an entire planet of genetically enhance aliens and not in some way be superior to all the soldiers beneath you. Zod wasn't just a Krytonian he was the cream of the crop.
*nods head* Okay I think I'm getting it. What would have helped was if there was one scene where Zod and his crew talk about how the yellow sun radiation will enhance their strength and reflexes. That probably would have gone a long way to help me understand. What started the confusion and why I had such a hard time buying Zod's ability to quickly gain those powers is he seemed unaware of what sort affect the atmosphere would have in the first place. When his breather mask is first removed by Kal's fist he's like stunned by what's happening to him, and ask if Kal did it. The scenes where he mastered those abilities were just too short to actually sell me on the idea he mastered them that easily.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #267
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,992
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Well I wouldn't call this a little thing that I loved, since i enjoyed this part a lot as well, but I was a HUGE fan of the whole "You are not Alone" sequence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cant remember seeing a superman film, let alone any live action incarnation of the character, that had such a tense and well executed scene like that when introducing the villain to Superman for the first time.

I just don't know how else to describe it; I loved on how we got to see a global reaction to that message and how everyone was shaken up while they were watching it, and during that time, Clark just remained stoic and calm yet he was watching it with intensity at the same time. It was just freaking brilliant.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #268
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I agree with that Herolee. And I'll just say it was creepy. It's so funny you could overlook such a pivotal scene like that one, but it was really scary and tense. It brought home the whole alien invasion. In the special features it mentions Shannon actually spoke a few different languages for that scene, which I thought was also pretty cool.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #269
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,358
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I loved that scene. That scene and Superman sinking into skulls are honest to god horror scenes in a freakin Superhero movie! That's so weird and awesome that I have no choice but to love it.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #270
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,888
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Yeah, that sudden freaking sound came fr the tv n clark slowly approaching the door did suddenly make the atmosphere into horror mode. Brilliant.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #271
WoodyROM
Side-Kick
 
WoodyROM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Yeah, I see that, but they really played up how overwhelming the heightened senses could be. I would have liked to seen more than just that one scene with Zod clenching his fist before taking the scout ship. Just one more... It would have helped because I still have a really hard time buying it. I'm going to though, but it's a hard purchase.
I understand where you're coming from, but one thing I loved in that scene is when Zod finally takes control of his powers, his eyes begin to quiver (eyelids to be more specific). It really emphasizes the amount of focus and control that he has in that moment and how difficult it really is. It was a "Little Thing", but I appreciated/loved it.

__________________
Romans 8:38-39
WoodyROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #272
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but one thing I loved in that scene is when Zod finally takes control of his powers, his eyes begin to quiver (eyelids to be more specific). It really emphasizes the amount of focus and control that he has in that moment and how difficult it really is. It was a "Little Thing", but I appreciated/loved it.
Hmmm...I didn't really notice that I'm going to watch it again to see if I see it.

And speaking of Zod, I'd have to say one of the things I really loved/appreciated was his performance. He added so much to the character with his presence and facial ticks. He was really good and I didn't even miss him saying "Kneel before me."

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #273
WoodyROM
Side-Kick
 
WoodyROM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Here's this if it helps.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

__________________
Romans 8:38-39
WoodyROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #274
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 11,204
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

That bit with Shannon's eyes was effective in giving me an impression of Zod's ability to focus and control his physical body. I so hope that was an example of Shannon's level of skill in acting and not just a VFX thing.

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #275
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,733
Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
Here's this if it helps.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
OMG.... I would have never seen that.

I actually think that is Shannon. He had some great facial ticks. That's one I didn't see, but watch him in the movie. He's effing awesome with the perceived hate and rage. Just amazing really.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.