The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #301
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

In real life we all at one time or another say things to people we care dearly for that we know the moment they come out of our mouths has hurt them.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #302
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I don't know if Snyder chose Zimmer, or if Nolan sort of said "this is THE guy" or what, but he handled the score with such a deft touch. He really has had year of released that show off his range. I mean compare MOS' score and TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE's score. One is bombast and driving like nothing I've heard in a while. The work in TYAS is so subtle and yet ingratiating, but what's important is that both help to sell and enhance the narratives and overall plot's of their respective films. I mean, the music that comes up when Faora starts with her "You're weak, son of El..." shtick and starts to go into overdrive when she crashes into the vault is like it's own character. I can't think of many scores this year that stuck with me the way MOS' did.
Dear god I went to see Twelve years a slave this passed weekend. That movie made me self identify with the main character so much that I felt as if I was kidnaped and made a slave. that movie was more terrifying than most Thrillers. I've almost never ever cry during any type of movie but Jesus its like that movie forced me to cry and Zimmers music just amplified it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #303
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Another thing that I enjoyed about this film is that, for the first time since Superman 1, the film actually left the character at a place where there was hope that Clark Kent/Superman would find happiness within the near future.

Prior Superman films were cursed by the fact that they pretty much stuck Superman in the worst place that anyone could be in, and that's where a hero is not allowed to have a personal life of their own due to their duties as a hero, and the last film (SR) didn't do anything to make that better.

The films, for the most part, kept the status quo the same for the character, where you didn't really feel like there would be a new and upcoming journey for the character to explore soon afterwards like MOS did, let alone in a positive way.

With "Man of Steel", you have Clark finally taking the steps to establish himself in the traditional persona that everyone is more familiar with, in both Reporter and Hero personas, and he's ready to embark the rest of his life as Earth's hero while the chance for personal happiness in the form of his relationship with Lois holds great promise.
Indeed. Hopefully they keep the positive tone at the sequel.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #304
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Indeed. Hopefully they keep the positive tone at the sequel.
That was really my only one of my few minor problems with Man of Steel. Instead of being an upbeat positive movie with sad event occurring though out it. It was a dull drab(not the right world) movie with a series of sad events.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #305
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
To be honest, I really don't think of it as being morbid for appreciating the route that Snyder went with portraying the death toll in this film.

One of my biggest issues with "The Avengers" was how the Chitauri's invasion of New York City felt very tamed. You didn't really see people getting hurt or killed. It was just all assumed based on the buildings that were getting shot at.

But aside from that, you never really saw any one really getting hurt on screen. We just had a bunch of shots that featured people running about screaming or hiding, along with some buildings getting shot at, but that was about it.

That's why I could never really take the threat of the chitauri seriously, because it didn't come off as serious for me.

I feel like the one of the great ways to make people appreciate the moment when the hero finally defeats the villain(s) is by showing on what kind of carnage and death toll that the villain(s) could bring if they were left unchecked and unchallenged.

Heck, given that the world that we're presented in MOS is one where other heroes do exist, most notably Batman, I think it's safe to assume that had Clark not stood up to Zod and his officers, or had he not been successful in defeating them, then everyone on Earth would have been killed..including those heroes.
I couldnt agree more with this, The Avengers and MCU films in general never come across to me like anyone is in danger, because they simply wont show it. It annoys me and its one of the reasons the villains never come across as threatening and why I never feel the heroes are in danger in their movies. I'm not asking for blood and guts, but show a few people getting injured or killed and The Chitauri come across as a much more credible threat.

MOS showed real consequences of such a thing happening and showed that Superman cant be everywere at once and save everyone. People will die while he is protecting Earth and there is nothing he can do about it. It just gives the movie a much more realistic feel and made Zod an actual threat to both the hero and the planet.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #306
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Dear god I went to see Twelve years a slave this passed weekend. That movie made me self identify with the main character so much that I felt as if I was kidnaped and made a slave. that movie was more terrifying than most Thrillers. I've almost never ever cry during any type of movie but Jesus its like that movie forced me to cry and Zimmers music just amplified it.
You and I had a similar experience then. I had tears flowing like Victoria's Falls by the end. The best film of the year.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #307
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Watching Zod and Supes' aerial battle. I just realized there's a STAR Labs building that gets passed.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #308
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I couldnt agree more with this, The Avengers and MCU films in general never come across to me like anyone is in danger, because they simply wont show it. It annoys me and its one of the reasons the villains never come across as threatening and why I never feel the heroes are in danger in their movies. I'm not asking for blood and guts, but show a few people getting injured or killed and The Chitauri come across as a much more credible threat.

MOS showed real consequences of such a thing happening and showed that Superman cant be everywere at once and save everyone. People will die while he is protecting Earth and there is nothing he can do about it. It just gives the movie a much more realistic feel and made Zod an actual threat to both the hero and the planet.

Yep, you have to show death to give villains of this type credibility as a threat. Forget the "save everyone" garbage, people got to die. Villains got to do what villains got to do.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #309
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

On another note...

I was definitely a fan of how Zod looked in this shot from the film:

The look on his face; maybe it's just only me that thought of it this way, but I feel like this was the first time in the film where Zod truly embraced being a villain/a monster. Up until this point, Zod had his own justifications for doing the things that he did throughout the film... where his sole purpose was to rebuild Krypton.

Once that dream was indefinitely out of the window, I feel like Zod had a mental breakdown and finally embraced being a true villain...though of course I wouldn't say that he thought of himself as a villain even at this point, but it was here where he truly embraced his anger and dark side in the film imho.

And it was at this moment where Zod's face really emitted that this is a guy who people should hope that they would never have to cross paths with.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #310
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Indeed. When he said "I'm going to make them suffer, Kal," I believed him.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #311
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Loved the way he says "my soul......THAT....IS WHAT YOU HAVE TAKEN FROM MEEE!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #312
Aunty bobo
New User - Level 0

I loved those parts too!
Hi guys, im new here, plus im new to forums. So bear with me....
So i watched man of steel for the first time today,rented on dvd, really loved it! Im a big fan of Henry Cavill, gosh hes talented and gorgeous! 😄 i think he really did the character justice.
...... So anyways, my cousin and i were watching m.o.s and in the part where after baby Kal gets sent to earth, and his dad and wotshisface Zot were fighting, and buildings were blowing up......and after some big explosion theres this image of a pair of glasses/spectacles standing vertically superimposed into the scene. I had to rewind it and pause it so my cuz could see it too. Did anyone else spot it? And if so, does it look like glasses or something else? Ermm, sorry i couldnt pinpoint the actual part. It just seemed like a weird thing to see at the moment.
Im looking forward to getting the dvd for xmas 😉 and cant wait for the next movie yay!

Aunty bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #313
Fizicks
Side-Kick

Quote:
To be honest, I really don't think of it as being morbid for appreciating the route that Snyder went with portraying the death toll in this film.

One of my biggest issues with "The Avengers" was how the Chitauri's invasion of New York City felt very tamed. You didn't really see people getting hurt or killed. It was just all assumed based on the buildings that were getting shot at.

But aside from that, you never really saw any one really getting hurt on screen. We just had a bunch of shots that featured people running about screaming or hiding, along with some buildings getting shot at, but that was about it.

That's why I could never really take the threat of the chitauri seriously, because it didn't come off as serious for me.

I feel like the one of the great ways to make people appreciate the moment when the hero finally defeats the villain(s) is by showing on what kind of carnage and death toll that the villain(s) could bring if they were left unchecked and unchallenged.
Quote:

Spot on, this is exactly how I felt. Even though I grew up on the Superman animated series, I mainly read Marvel when I got into comics, so even though I enjoy both DC and Marvel, I consider myself more of a Marvel person. With that said, I did not enjoy Avengers very much, but absolutely loved Man of Steel. Why? One of the main reasons being the final fight scene in the Avengers- I actually found it quite boring. Nothing seemed to be at stake. Sure, an alien invasion is taking place, but the Chitauris are being taken out by the heroes like chumps, and I don't see anyone ever being in any danger. In Man of Steel however, I was feeling really anxious as I was watching the final fight scene. I was invested, because I actually feel many lives were at stake here!

If the events of Avengers or Man of Steel happened in real life, the death toll would've both been very high. You don't get that feeling in the Avengers though. It was so dumbed down, as if it was a cartoon in real life. This was probably the reason it was more popular with the masses, but I personally didn't like it.

Fizicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #314
Fizicks
Side-Kick

And in reply to the thread topic, my absolute favorite part of the movie was the last 2 minutes- Clark's voiceover explaining to Ma Kent about his new job, as he's riding his bicycle to the Daily Planet, putting on his glasses, and meeting the Daily Planet staff. I had a huge smile on my face throughout the whole thing.

Fizicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #315
Dave McFly
YOU ARE TERMINATED

me too Fiz, me too loved the music that played over it and when it segwayed into the end credits I love that track "what are you going to do when your not saving the world".

PSN ID: davemcfly85
Dave McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #316
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post
Spot on, this is exactly how I felt. Even though I grew up on the Superman animated series, I mainly read Marvel when I got into comics, so even though I enjoy both DC and Marvel, I consider myself more of a Marvel person. With that said, I did not enjoy Avengers very much, but absolutely loved Man of Steel. Why? One of the main reasons being the final fight scene in the Avengers- I actually found it quite boring. Nothing seemed to be at stake. Sure, an alien invasion is taking place, but the Chitauris are being taken out by the heroes like chumps, and I don't see anyone ever being in any danger. In Man of Steel however, I was feeling really anxious as I was watching the final fight scene. I was invested, because I actually feel many lives were at stake here!

If the events of Avengers or Man of Steel happened in real life, the death toll would've both been very high. You don't get that feeling in the Avengers though. It was so dumbed down, as if it was a cartoon in real life. This was probably the reason it was more popular with the masses, but I personally didn't like it.
We differ on one thing in that I did like The Avengers, but again, I never felt the danger in the final battle and it brings the movie down, especially on repeat viewings. There is no tension, no thinking they may not get through this, things I did feel with MOS.

The Marvel movies are really starting to feel unappealing to me, so things like MOS are welcome.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #317
Hulk
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
We differ on one thing in that I did like The Avengers, but again, I never felt the danger in the final battle and it brings the movie down, especially on repeat viewings. There is no tension, no thinking they may not get through this, things I did feel with MOS.

The Marvel movies are really starting to feel unappealing to me, so things like MOS are welcome.
Agreed, AVEITWITHJAMON.

Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #318
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
me too Fiz, me too loved the music that played over it and when it segwayed into the end credits I love that track "what are you going to do when your not saving the world".
Indeed. Love it.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #319
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Where were you trained? On a Farm?!

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #320
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

I loved during the Superman/Zod fight when Superman flew off the ground horizontally. He didn't just stand up, he came off the ground using flight.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #321
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I loved during the Superman/Zod fight when Superman flew off the ground horizontally. He didn't just stand up, he came off the ground using flight.
Indeed. An awesome scene.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #322
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Little things like that were done brilliantly in the movie. It just adds so much to the character and movie IMO and makes it all so much more realistic, I mean, why WOULD you walk somewhere when you had the ability to float there?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #323
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
^Little things like that were done brilliantly in the movie. It just adds so much to the character and movie IMO and makes it all so much more realistic, I mean, why WOULD you walk somewhere when you had the ability to float there?
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #324
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I just love that they thought of things like that as well, makes me look forward to what little things they have in store for the sequel.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #325
kguillou
Side-Kick

Not to get too off topic, but I always felt the the Battle of New York in Avengers was missing a key element to the fight: a boss fight. Like, all The Avengers were doing was pretty much battling hundreds and hundreds of chitauri henchmen but I really think the battle needed a big boss. I would've loved to have seen some kind of toe-to-toe showdown between Captain America and a Chitarui leader who could pose a real physical threat. That would have really made the battle complete for me and I felt it was something very lacking. Loki was supposedly their "leader" but he was no physical threat at all. How awesome would it have been to have big, badass Chitarui boss take on all six avengers at once and mop the floor with them? That would have really raised the stakes I think.

That's what I REALLY appreciated about MOS. We got epic boss fights in this that really raised the stakes and made us question if our hero was going to overcome this.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote