A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
What I find interesting (according to Rotten Tomatoes):

Fast & Furious 6 - Average rating 6.2 = 70% FRESH

Man of Steel - Average rating 6.2 = 55% ROTTEN

And theres more similar examples
The tomatometer is indeed misinterpreted by many. There are movies that score in the 90% range, such as the new Mission Impossible, but only have an average score in the 7's. Whereas something like 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, etc, actually has a 9/10 average score.

The tomatometer basically indicates accessibility. A movie in the 90's is one that most people will enjoy, at least somewhat, whereas something in the 50's might not be for everyone.

Man of Steel, despite a lower tomatometer, has the same average rating as Thor TDW.
(it also has a higher average score & tomatometer from top critics).

Also, regarding scores in general, I think it's interesting how people act like there's a worlds difference between 65 and 55; a much bigger difference than 65 and 75. (It most likely has to do with the fresh/rotten cutoff; the mentality that 60%=awesome and 59%=fail).

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 01-19-2014 at 07:25 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 AM   #427
bluearth
Side-Kick

When Zod tells Faora to check the Kent barn she jumps like 200 feet in the air and into the thing. When I saw that I was shocked and it got me thinking "what in the world are these people capable of???"

I knew when they clashed with Superman it was really going to showcase their power because Snyder liked showing it off having Faora jump 200 feet in the air just to get to the barn.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 AM   #428
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
When Zod tells Faora to check the Kent barn she jumps like 200 feet in the air and into the thing. When I saw that I was shocked and it got me thinking "what in the world are these people capable of???"

I knew when they clashed with Superman it was really going to showcase their power because Snyder liked showing it off having Faora jump 200 feet in the air just to get to the barn.
Agreed. The casual use of powers, with little or no "dramatic" build up (swelling music, grimaces before use of power ect.) is always welcomed by me in the CBMs I choose to see. This one was just perfect. If I may add, the way Faora lands inside the bank vault, just the way she rises up after crashing through the ceiling. It was just a great prelude moment, seeing what was to come next and all.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #429
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Did anyone else think Lana said Clark during then bus drowning scene, I'm sure she mouths Clark twice as the bus is flooding.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #430
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Did anyone else think Lana said Clark during then bus drowning scene, I'm sure she mouths Clark twice as the bus is flooding.
I didn't see that. I remember her mouthing "how" after she realized he saved them, but I don't remember seeing her mouth anything when the bus was flooding. I'll have to watch it again to see.

One thing I appreciate that I didn't really notice is the nice little homages to STM. I know Snyder and Co. said they were going to stay away from STM, but the scenes between Jonathon and Clark in MOS are very reminiscent to scenes in STM. Some verbiage is almost verbatim. If anyone gets a chance to watch STM again, watch the scene before Jonathon dies.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #431
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I didn't see that. I remember her mouthing "how" after she realized he saved them, but I don't remember seeing her mouth anything when the bus was flooding. I'll have to watch it again to see.

One thing I appreciate that I didn't really notice is the nice little homages to STM. I know Snyder and Co. said they were going to stay away from STM, but the scenes between Jonathon and Clark in MOS are very reminiscent to scenes in STM. Some verbiage is almost verbatim. If anyone gets a chance to watch STM again, watch the scene before Jonathon dies.
Let me know what you think. It may have just been me but I could have sworn.

Yeah and sometime I think homages are hard to avoid and sometimes done subconsciously.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #432
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I just watched this film again last night, and yet again I noticed something that I had not seen in my many previous viewings.lol

The thing that I noticed and actually liked was how..when Zod had his first outburst at the Kryptonian Council Member (during his trial scene), Faora immediately tries to accompany Zod as well when she sees the Krytponian guards stopping him in his tracks...and thus she has to be stopped as well from another set of guards.

I think she was the only one that reacted that way and it was nice to see it further established that she is really devoted to him.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #433
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just watched this film again last night, and yet again I noticed something that I had not seen in my many previous viewings.lol

The thing that I noticed and actually liked was how..when Zod had his first outburst at the Kryptonian Council Member (during his trial scene), Faora immediately tries to accompany Zod as well when she sees the Krytponian guards stopping him in his tracks...and thus she has to be stopped as well from another set of guards.

I think she was the only one that reacted that way and it was nice to see it further established that she is really devoted to him.
Absolutely! Faora provided many of the little moments I appreciated in MOS. The one you described is definitely one of my favorites, but my absolute favorite is the one right before she's sealed up in her pod-prison. She cast one final look at Zod. I wish someone could gif it. It's like the last sight she wants to see before being imprisoned for 300 cycles is her general! That's so bad ass!

Traue has some fabulous facial expressions in MOS. The look she gives Clark when she first meets him is golden. Plus the look she gives him after tossing him into the vault when she says, "Evolution always wins." I could name many others... She was that good.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #434
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Yea I watched that scene when you were talking bout it before and I never noticed that when Faora looked at Zod before she was being freezed up lol....good catch.........I did notice however, how she looks at Kal the first time they met though.....it was like she was saying in her head" I want you" in sexy way...lol

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #435
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

^^^^

Quote:
Absolutely! Faora provided many of the little moments I appreciated in MOS. The one you described is definitely one of my favorites, but my absolute favorite is the one right before she's sealed up in her pod-prison. She cast one final look at Zod. I wish someone could gif it. It's like the last sight she wants to see before being imprisoned for 300 cycles is her general! That's so bad ass!

Traue has some fabulous facial expressions in MOS. The look she gives Clark when she first meets him is golden. Plus the look she gives him after tossing him into the vault when she says, "Evolution always wins." I could name many others... She was that good.

Last edited by John-An; 01-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #436
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

One look from Faora is more badass than anything ScarJo has done with Black Widow.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #437
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Awesome Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
^^^^

Thank you!!!!!

Faora is such a bad ass!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #438
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

People want to poo poo on Snyder and Goyer's talent, but the sheer amount of texture on so many levels in the film makes repeat viewings such a treat. Faora's last look over to Zod and her and the other prisoner's cries of pain are juxtaposed against Zod's own badassery. Cuz the General just takes whatever pain he is experiencing and keeps looking at Lara in silence.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #439
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

There's so many little details in this film that it just keeps on giving. This is one of the reasons Man of Steel is my favourite CBM everytime I watch it I see something new. To me that's the sign of a great movie.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #440
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

IMO Faora was more intimidating then Zod.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #441
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

She was but I think that's cause she did his dirty work.

Infact that's something I've though hard about with Zod. How much fighting did he actually do on Krypton? I'd say very little he does as a general does he gives orders. This is one of the reasons I think Jor El was able to best Zod one on one. Zod probably had not fought for ages and was so used to giving orders while Jor El as a scientist was probably exploring his limits of what he can do.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #442
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
IMO Faora was more intimidating then Zod.
I think Zod was pretty damned imposing. But Faora was more cold blooded, which can be more fear inducing than someone who is all fire and passion. That being said, when I first saw Zod go all "Super Sayajin Level 2" at the construction site I, a 37 year old man, actually was worried for our hero.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #443
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I wish more would see the beauty in MOS like the way we see it.....instead of calling it the Goyer/Snyder abomination

Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #444
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
I wish more would see the beauty in MOS like the way we see it.....instead of calling it the Goyer/Snyder abomination
Theres plenty of people who love the film. Sometimes those who get disappointed tend to voice their opinion just as much if not more then those who like something.

After repeat viewings, I finally noticed how prominent the sun is in the background of most shots. Considering how important the sun is to Superman mythology I thought that was a really cool touch.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #445
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Don't you think aswell some can come to appreciate a film after a sequel or two. I knew people who didn't like Batman Begins but love it now. I think sometimes it can help to see the full picture.

But if people don't wanna like something that's up to them. I just hate those that hate for hatesake and have to nitpick at every little thing because they don't want to like something. Its just like the whole DC vs Marvel mentality it drives me crackers. End of the day if I like a film I like it whether its DC, Marvel or something else. Anyway rant over sorry got a little off track then

Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #446
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Don't you think aswell some can come to appreciate a film after a sequel or two. I knew people who didn't like Batman Begins but love it now. I think sometimes it can help to see the full picture.

But if people don't wanna like something that's up to them. I just hate those that hate for hatesake and have to nitpick at every little thing because they don't want to like something. Its just like the whole DC vs Marvel mentality it drives me crackers. End of the day if I like a film I like it whether its DC, Marvel or something else. Anyway rant over sorry got a little off track then
It drives me crazy as well, the last 12 months have been the worst with the hardcore MCU fans who have had a go at me in a few threads for daring to air my complaints with the MCU movies.

I have been branded a DC fanboy and a troll in a few threads as well. Its why I did my sig because I got fed up explaining that if anything I am more of a Marvel fan, but I like good comic book movies no matter what character its based on. For me MOS was the best CBM this year, and I still think TDK is the best CBM ever, yet I am not a hardcore Batman fan at all.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #447
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
It drives me crazy as well, the last 12 months have been the worst with the hardcore MCU fans who have had a go at me in a few threads for daring to air my complaints with the MCU movies.

I have been branded a DC fanboy and a troll in a few threads as well. Its why I did my sig because I got fed up explaining that if anything I am more of a Marvel fan, but I like good comic book movies no matter what character its based on. For me MOS was the best CBM this year, and I still think TDK is the best CBM ever, yet I am not a hardcore Batman fan at all.
And that's great because your objective and you critique the film on the quality not whether its one company or another.

See I loved the Avengers and when that and Rises came out it got into a fight between hardcored Avengers and hardcore Batman fans aka Marvel vs DC. I was just like its really OK to like both movies. The arguments are laughable at times. Avengers is too fun, Dark Knight isn't fun enough. Can't people just accept that these are films and they're allowed to be different styles. If you don't like one that's fine but have a real reason other than the DC vs Marvel mentality. Personally I think people who side with something because its DC or its Marvel are really robbing themselves of entertainment.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #448
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I think Zod was pretty damned imposing. But Faora was more cold blooded, which can be more fear inducing than someone who is all fire and passion. That being said, when I first saw Zod go all "Super Sayajin Level 2" at the construction site I, a 37 year old man, actually was worried for our hero.
Agreed. I saw them as two badass in different styles.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #449
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
She was but I think that's cause she did his dirty work.

Infact that's something I've though hard about with Zod. How much fighting did he actually do on Krypton? I'd say very little he does as a general does he gives orders. This is one of the reasons I think Jor El was able to best Zod one on one. Zod probably had not fought for ages and was so used to giving orders while Jor El as a scientist was probably exploring his limits of what he can do.
Completely agreed.
And interesting touch about Zod. I think Jor-el could beat him cause if you notice Zod was made with anger when he saw the codex going out of his hands and Jor-El was focusing and fought with his heart. Also they were friends Zod could have taught Jor-el combat fighting that's why I think the fight end like this.
If you notice the fight vs Superman we saw a pretty skilled Zod focused and being less powerful than superman but he focused on his skills and the balance was for both either of the two could win. And I think Superman just got lucky cause Zod could've end with Superman.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #450
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:

Thank you!!!!!

Faora is such a bad ass!
No problem.
Indeed She was great in MOS.