The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #551
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Yeah plenty of great actors don't need to speak as a parrot. His presence, his faces if transmits emotion that's is acting.

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #552
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
I never noticed either Superman had little dialogue until internet told me so. I for once don't think good acting is measured by the amount of words you say. I love that Superman in movies has rarely been portrayed as a speech giver.

Cavill was one of the great things about MOS.
I'm a Superman Returns disliker and didn't like Routh in the role but I did not agree with the "he never speaks!" criticism. I mean who gives a flying **** if he said a lot of words or not? If you wanna hear the protagonist say a lot of words watch an Aaron Sorkin movie.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #553
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Btw I didn't say Routh never speaks in SRs he just doesn't say much.

Cavill didn't have a wealth of dialogue either but he had plenty, I was merely pointing out that some have said he had less dialogue than Routh did in SRs when clearly he didn't.

It wasn't a comment on whether or not little dialogue matters, it was an observation of one of the critcisms people give the movie that is incorrect.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #554
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Cavill definitely had more dialogue than Routh, I have watched SR a lot and getting there with MOS but Routh had less lines.

Both gave very good performances for me were they said a lot more with their facial expression than they did with their lines. I really hoped Brandon would get another shot at Superman but Cavill didnt disappoint me in any way in MOS, he was superb.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #555
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm a Superman Returns disliker and didn't like Routh in the role but I did not agree with the "he never speaks!" criticism. I mean who gives a flying **** if he said a lot of words or not? If you wanna hear the protagonist say a lot of words watch an Aaron Sorkin movie.

Agree ! Cavill did the business with a few looks and some primal grunts.
Like when Faora throws him through a few buildings into the vault door.

At first he looks at her and you can tell he's winded, then she gives that cocky little line about evolution and then we know Superman's pissed, with a mighty yell he slams her through a garbage truck.

Have to say, the battle of smallville was my favourite action sequence by far, as it was just as I'd imagine a fight between Superman and a couple of super-bad guys would be.

That bit where Supes punches Nam Ek four times, flies him up in the air and POW into the train yard, now that's just a straight up Superman move. It's a comic book brought to life. Thanks for that Zack Snyder, you're the man !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #556
sportjames23
Side-Kick

The Battle of Smallville is the greatest superhero fight scene of all time, IMO.

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #557
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23 View Post
The Battle of Smallville is the greatest superhero fight scene of all time, IMO.
This

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #558
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Btw I didn't say Routh never speaks in SRs he just doesn't say much.

Cavill didn't have a wealth of dialogue either but he had plenty, I was merely pointing out that some have said he had less dialogue than Routh did in SRs when clearly he didn't.

It wasn't a comment on whether or not little dialogue matters, it was an observation of one of the critcisms people give the movie that is incorrect.
I wasn't really trying to attack anyone with my thoughts on the lack of dialogue debate, least of all you. It's a criticism I've heard for years now and it just irks me and I lash out. I don't even believe I was really responding to your post but it's been a few days so who the hell knows? lol You're a cool guy so no worries.

I think I kinda defend Returns at times because eventhough I really don't like the film and love to give it **** on occasion, I do think that there are some unfair criticisms lobed at the film. Also I'm very protective of Superman Returns fans in general because I love posters who like or love that film. I think I'm way off topic so whatever.

Yeah I enjoyed the Smallville Battle very much. IHOP fight FTW.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #559
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I wasn't really trying to attack anyone with my thoughts on the lack of dialogue debate, least of all you. It's a criticism I've heard for years now and it just irks me and I lash out. I don't even believe I was really responding to your post but it's been a few days so who the hell knows? lol You're a cool guy so no worries.

I think I kinda defend Returns at times because eventhough I really don't like the film and love to give it **** on occasion, I do think that there are some unfair criticisms lobed at the film. Also I'm very protective of Superman Returns fans in general because I love posters who like or love that film. I think I'm way off topic so whatever.

Yeah I enjoyed the Smallville Battle very much. IHOP fight FTW.
Ahh cool

Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #560
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ahh cool
I'm glad you can understand what I'm getting at because I can barely understand sometimes. lol

Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #561
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23 View Post
Absolutely ! Clearly Snyder must have read a bunch of comics when working out the fight choreography, and really thought through how
it would look on the big screen. Having the army there makes a nice
contrast, between the indestructible Kryptonians (when they fight its
the scenery that suffers) and humans. Shows off just how powerful they're meant to be, as Faora wipes out the soldiers like bugs.
Again, nicely played Snyder.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #562
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Some times I wonder if this film will be one of those films, where it had received mixed reactions upon its debut, but as the years went by... people started to look at the film from a better perspective.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #563
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

Man of Steel is not that "spoon feeding" type of movie, it really has a great repeat viewing value.

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #564
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I think it gets better with every viewing and its a testament to the filmmakers that you discover new things everytime you see it. You could probably watch the film with the sound down and get so much story just from the visuals, there is so much in there.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #565
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

kinda reminds me of a part in the MOS behind the scenes footage where Zack Snyder just played the scene where Supes is about to destroy the world engine with just the musical score playing. EPIC!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #566
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpklsdmbldr View Post
kinda reminds me of a part in the MOS behind the scenes footage where Zack Snyder just played the scene where Supes is about to destroy the world engine with just the musical score playing. EPIC!
Yeah with the World Engine. You can tell how much Snyder loved that part.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #567
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Man of Steel is just an introduction to something bigger. Zack Snyder himself said you just can't make one Superman movie. can't blame them since people are used to standalone movies with new enemies every sequel with forced connections to each even if they are part of a series or universe. if you thought of that you can appreciate the movie even better, think big!

Last edited by snpklsdmbldr; 03-19-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #568
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Some times I wonder if this film will be one of those films, where it had received mixed reactions upon its debut, but as the years went by... people started to look at the film from a better perspective.
It deserves to be, some of the vitriol it gets from Marvel fanboys (I am more of a Marvel fan myself when it comes to comics, but I love Superman and the hardcore MCU lovers are just ridiculous) is totally unwarranted and downright silly at times. The movie has problems, and I often point them out, but the good outweighs the bad so much.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #569
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpklsdmbldr View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting that Man of Steel is just an introduction to something bigger. Zack Snyder himself said you just can't make one Superman movie. can't blame them since people are used to standalone movies with new enemies every sequel with forced connections to each even if they are part of a series or universe. if you thought of that you can appreciate the movie even better, think big!
The thing that I had loved hearing the most from Snyder, when he was promoting this film, was that he was wondering and talking about how they could use the "Superman Universe" to help bring in new DC characters and how to further expand the DC universe. It kind of makes the notion that the big things of the DC Universe may somehow revolve around the character in a way.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #570
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The thing that I had loved hearing the most from Snyder, when he was promoting this film, was that he was wondering and talking about how they could use the "Superman Universe" to help bring in new DC characters and how to further expand the DC universe. It kind of makes the notion that the big things of the DC Universe may somehow revolve around the character in a way.

That would seem fair enough, as Superman was pretty much the first superhero and kind of the standard by which the rest are measured.

I say bring on Benedict Cumberbatch as Brainiac !

Hope they stick with a Budweiser-drinking, t-shirt and jeans wearing
NFL watching, doing the dishes for mom , Superman. I love how Snyder and co made the character so down to Earth, I still love Chris Reeve's portrayal of the nervous, uptight, suit-wearing Clark, but this new interpretation of Superman, as rougher around the edges, it really works.
Glad they did it this way, and hope they continue.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #571
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Was doing the dishes today, listening to "Seasons" by Chris Cornell.

It occurred to me, in the scene which features this track (Clark coming ashore, lifting the clothes and wandering through town, transition into the
bus ride, saving the kids ), maybe "Seasons" which is the track playing
, was on the car radio or something, so it was actually playing somewhere in the context of the film (although it did really set the mood for that scene perfectly) because it would fit really well in terms of the film's chronology.

Here's why. Music can be a powerful trigger for memories. The song came out in 1992, which was probably about the time of the bus accident (as Dylan Spraybury played a 13 year old Clark Kent, and Superman arrived on Earth in 1980, because he's 33 in 2013).
Anyway, he hears the song and sees the bus, and thinks back to the accident, which would have happened in 1993 (maybe it's actually playing on the radio on the bus). Nice one Snyder, subtle.

And of course it's an awesome song, I think I posted about it in this thread already. Chris Cornell rocks !

Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #572
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Its not my type of music but I love it in the film, I kind of see it as a nod to Smallville although that probably wasn't the filmmakers intention but I'm glad I get that feeling from it.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #573
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Hope they stick with a Budweiser-drinking, t-shirt and jeans wearing
NFL watching, doing the dishes for mom , Superman. I love how Snyder and co made the character so down to Earth, I still love Chris Reeve's portrayal of the nervous, uptight, suit-wearing Clark, but this new interpretation of Superman, as rougher around the edges, it really works.
Glad they did it this way, and hope they continue.
I loved that too. This Superman was a rugged country boy. I hope they still keep that for Clark in BvsS.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #574
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I loved that too. This Superman was a rugged country boy. I hope they still keep that for Clark in BvsS.
Completely. He looks like a guy who grew up on a farm in Kansas, whereas theres a total disconnect between Chris Reeve's adult Clark and young Clark.

Good going Snyder !

Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #575
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Completely. He looks like a guy who grew up on a farm in Kansas, whereas theres a total disconnect between Chris Reeve's adult Clark and young Clark.

Good going Snyder !
Well, that might be explained by spending 12 years in the Fortress of Solitude.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote