The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #601
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Okay, time for something else I liked about MOS............
I think it would be much harder to find something I didn't like, and even if I could
it wouldn't belong in this thread.

Sooooo, what haven't I talked about already? hmmmm, I know, Amy Adams.

Up until MOS I had never really enjoyed Lois Lane as a character (didn't matter
who was playing her, Hatcher, Kidder, or Durance or even the animated versions)

I always found her annoying, and bossy, rather than tough or assertive.
But Amy Adams did a great job, of making Lois likeable, convincing and a bit sassy.

A lot of the stuff about the character relates to the way Lois was written but Adams
had to pull it off.

I kind of liked that she didn't overdress, but also that she had a conscience - that she makes the choice NOT to reveal Clark's story. Best of all, I liked the fact that it was
her that worked out his "secret identity" , there was never ever any of that
"fooled by the glasses" ********, she knew precisely who he was from day one.
Which of course makes total sense, she's a Pulitzer prize winner, an investigative journalist, and an investigator.
That was always the "Gordian knot" of the Lois Lane character, that she didn't know who Clark really was. Thank goodness Goyer and Nolan bypassed that and just got
on with it.
Plus, this Lois actually does stuff, other than be a damsel in distress. She's crucial to the plan that stopped Zod.
I know people complain that there was no reason for Zod to take her on his ship,
but really, in a movie with flying indestructible aliens, that's not such a stretch is it ?

So all in all, my favourite Lois Lane to date.

( I think next time I'll rave about some of the good stuff they worked into the Kevin
Costner character, which I think was an improvement on the Glenn Ford which was
great anyway.)

Enough for now. Peace out super-fan !

Batmannerism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #602
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
He did Dawn of the Dead, right?
I'm an idiot, I meant another horror film.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #603
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I am re-posting all the gifs Lencho01 posted in Superman/Batman threads here, as this is better place (IMO.)

Caution: Lots of Gifs !

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #604
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

More Gifs comparing MOS & Smallville -

Quote:

*\S/T*
Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #605
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Some more Gifs comparing MOS & Smallville -

Quote:

*\S/T*
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #606
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

More..

Quote:

*\S/T*
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #607
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I know that many fans don't like SR, and many like MOS, still, SR was a good movie.

Now, Zack Snyder is great at creating visually good looking scenes, still many scenes from SR looked good, I think that there are some shots in MOS that may remind some fans of SR. Visually similar looking scenes (even though in some cases, the context will be different.)

Also, homage to Donner movies in MOS.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #608
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

It not exactly a "little thing" but, I love the suit.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #609
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

One wonders how much originality was there in MOS, since the movie takes lot of elements from Donner's /Lester's Superman 2.

Take, for example this old post where the Oil Rig scene was part of earlier movie's storyboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
Found two storyboard panels by an artist named Collin Grant who worked in the art department of SR.These appear to be of some sort of offshore oil rig rescue scene? Does anyone know if this was in the script and when it was supposed to have taken place in the movie?

Source Links:http://www.411creatives.com/talent/R...lin_grant.html
http://www.411creatives.com/talent/index.htm

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-06-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #610
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
One wonders how much originality was there in MOS, since the movie takes lot of elements from Donner's /Lester's Superman 2.

Take, for example this old post where the Oil Rig scene was part of earlier movie's storyboards.

I respect your opinion, but I take issue with your comment re “originality”
First, this is not an original story, it is a very well known story, the origin of Superman. As such, it is going to have a lot of common visual and story elements to previous films.
Second, the visuals, such as Superman flying are going to look pretty much the same no matter who does them(unless in Snyder’s interpretation, Superman decides to fly upside down and backwards).
As such, I don’t think you can make the criticism that MOS was visually unoriginal.
Some things that were radically different, visually were:
- The depiction of Krypton and Kryptonian technology
- The Superman suit
- The overall look of Clark as a rough around the edges manual labourer rather than a bespectacled, suit wearing stiff.
Of course there are a number of completely original story elements including
- That Clark COULD have saved his father (rather than wasn’t able to, as in SMTM)
- Clark’s justifiable homicide of Zod
- The fact that Lois Lane knew of Clark’s secret identity from day one, and calls him
“Clark” when he’s wearing the suit.
These were a radical departure from previous films. As such, I submit that MOS was much more “original “ than Superman returns which was a pathetic attempt at a homage to Donner’s amazing films, yet failed to capture any of their excitement or charm.
Now this is coloured by the fact that I hated Superman Returns. Man of Steel was such a breath of fresh air, it was like Superman rediscovering his manliness, after being somewhat emasculated in Singer’s dreadful film.
Just IMO.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #611
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I have liked all the Superman incarnations so far, I also realize that none of the movies Donner, Singer or Snyder's are without flaws, still I like them all.

Goyer had acknowledged that he was taking some inspiration from many Superman comics like "Superman: Birthright", "Superman: Secret Origins", "Superman: Earth One", "Superman: Man of Steel" which was a good thing to do. But Snyder had said -

Quote:
“It’s a more serious version of Superman. It’s not like a heart attack. We took the mythology seriously. We take him as a character seriously. I believe the movie would appeal to anyone. I think that you’re going to see a Superman you’ve never seen before.

We approached it as though no other films had been made.

He’s the king-daddy. Honestly that’s why I wanted to do it. I’m interested in Superman because he’s the father of all superheroes. He’s this amazing ambassador for all superheroes. What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology? What we‘ve made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It’s been an honor to work on. As a comic book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta Stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully.”
http://screenrant.com/man-steel-interview-zack-snyder/

Zack Snyder had stated that he approached the movie as if it was the first Superman movie ever made, which could mean that the movie would be filled with "original ideas" but then it was only partially true, while it had some new ideas, but it also took a lot from earlier Superman movies (and Smallville), not saying that it was necessarily a bad thing though, but I wanted some more originality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
I respect your opinion, but I take issue with your comment re “originality”

First, this is not an original story, it is a very well known story, the origin of Superman. As such, it is going to have a lot of common visual and story elements to previous films.

These were a radical departure from previous films. As such, I submit that MOS was much more “original “ than Superman returns which was a pathetic attempt at a homage to Donner’s amazing films, yet failed to capture any of their excitement or charm.

Now this is coloured by the fact that I hated Superman Returns. Man of Steel was such a breath of fresh air, it was like Superman rediscovering his manliness, after being somewhat emasculated in Singer’s dreadful film.

Just IMO.

First thing, whatever "superman Returns" did is not without any flaws, but still there are many things that it got right, similarly I also liked MOS, and it got many things right. I was just pointing out the "Things" Snyder took from other sources.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-07-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #612
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
IZack Snyder had stated that he approached the movie as if it was the first Superman movie ever made, which could mean that the movie would be filled with "original ideas" but then it was only partially true, while it had some new ideas, but it also took a lot from earlier Superman movies (and Smallville), not saying that it was necessarily a bad thing though, but I wanted some more originality.
I get that, but really, how much more original can you get ? Given the character has been around over 75 years and if you change too many elements it isn't a Superman film anymore. Also, with that well established mythology in place, it's pretty hard to find something that Superman hasn't done yet.

In fact one of the criticisms that was levelled at the film was that it was too much of a departure in terms of tone, from previous films. If anything, with a well established character, like Supes, it pays to NOT be too original. I loved what Nolan did with Batman, but even he didn't stray too far from the established mythology, although he did revamp the character's look, and had a reasonably original story (which just like MOS, drew from comic book story elements)>

I still submit to you that there was plenty of visual originality in the design and look of the film, and some key story elements ( in particular Lois knowing about Clark, Zod's death, and the fact that in this versions the Kryptonians essentially destroyed themselves, which I thought made more sense than a super-advanced race failing to notice their planet was about to explode).

So what I'm saying to you is that I think MOS was about as original as it could be, while still being a Superman film.

To turn your question around, what would have made MOS more original ?
Give some examples please.

As for Superman returns, that's just my personal choice. I can't take a film seriously where Superman is stupid enough to land on an island that's made up of the one substance in the universe that can kill him, considering that Island was created by the one person who's used that substance against him, and stole the technology he used to create it from Superman himself.
Superman does rush in without caution in the comic books all the time, but he's just not that stupid. Plus the general tone of the film pissed me off, as I said before it was at best a sham of the Donner films, and pretty boring to boot.

Again, this is my personal feeling. I know there are many who enjoyed it. I envy them, because halfway thru the film I wanted to walk out and ask for my money back, and if I hadn't been on a date, I would have. So if you liked it, more power to you.

Last edited by Batmannerism; 04-07-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: k
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #613
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
I get that, but really, how much more original can you get ? Given the character has been around over 75 years and if you change too many elements it isn't a Superman film anymore. Also, with that well established mythology in place, it's pretty hard to find something that Superman hasn't done yet.
Not saying that they can't pay homages or they should make him completely different.

Quote:
In fact one of the criticisms that was levelled at the film was that it was too much of a departure in terms of tone, from previous films. If anything, with a well established character, like Supes, it pays to NOT be too original. I loved what Nolan did with Batman, but even he didn't stray too far from the established mythology, although he did revamp the character's look, and had a reasonably original story (which just like MOS, drew from comic book story elements)>
Each directors has the right to set a particular "tone" to his movie, nothing wrong with that, Donner gave STM a different "tone", Singer gave SR a tone which he wanted, Snyder gave MOS a different kind of tone.

Again, I don't want Superman to be changed completely so that he becomes unrecognizable.

Quote:
I still submit to you that there was plenty of visual originality in the design and look of the film, and some key story elements ( in particular Lois knowing about Clark, Zod's death, and the fact that in this versions the Kryptonians essentially destroyed themselves, which I thought made more sense than a super-advanced race failing to notice their planet was about to explode).
I know, which is why I have no issues with the minor changes Snyder made in MOS, in fact I welcome them.

The thing is, a director can stay faithful to source material (comics), pay homages to past movies and TV series and still can use his own creativity to introduce new ideas, while keeping the character recognizable.

Quote:
So what I'm saying to you is that I think MOS was about as original as it could be, while still being a Superman film.

To turn your question around, what would have made MOS more original ?
Give some examples please.
Just a few examples that Snyder could have done differently.

* Keeping Pa Kent alive. (Pa Kent dies in Donner's STM and again in this.)

* Keeping Zod alive. (In Superman 2, as seen in the theatrical version, Superman throws Zod into deep ice and Zod dies. (In MOS Supes kills Zod again ?)

* Then, the same set of villains fight with Superman in both movies -

Zod (Donner) = Zod (Snyder)

Ursa (Donner) = Faora (Snyder)

Non (Donner)= Nam Ek (Snyder)

Basically, two males and a female Kryptonian, even though there are many more Kryptonians on board the Black Zero, why not use them too ?

Snyder could have used two female Kryptonians and three male Kryptonians (or any other combination that looks different from what we got in Superman 2.)

Quote:
As for Superman returns, that's just my personal choice. I can't take a film seriously where Superman is stupid enough to land on an island that's made up of the one substance in the universe that can kill him, considering that Island was created by the one person who's used that substance against him, and stole the technology he used to create it from Superman himself.
Superman does rush in without caution in the comic books all the time, but he's just not that stupid. Plus the general tone of the film pissed me off, as I said before it was at best a sham of the Donner films, and pretty boring to boot.

Again, this is my personal feeling. I know there are many who enjoyed it. I envy them, because halfway thru the film I wanted to walk out and ask for my money back, and if I hadn't been on a date, I would have. So if you liked it, more power to you.

That's perfectly fine as it's you are entitled to your opinion.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #614
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

MOS is now on cable... I appreciate this since repeat viewing is even easier.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #615
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Out of curiosity, how did you guys enjoy the final line exchange of dialogue within the film, where Lois greets Clark at the planet by saying... "Welcome to the Planet"?

I've seen some who have said that they thought it was cheesy, while others have noted on how much they thought it was the perfect dialogue to close the film with.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #616
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

the ending is one of the many things I loved about the movie. everything about it was perfect and IMO it's one of the best ending for a comicbook movie. the double entendre line, the flashback scene with Pa Kent and the music right after "Man of Steel" title card flashed on the screen.

Die Mannschaft 2014 + Bayern München #31 + Barcelona #10

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #617
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

cheesy and perfect.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #618
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you guys enjoy the final line exchange of dialogue within the film, where Lois greets Clark at the planet by saying... "Welcome to the Planet"?

I've seen some who have said that they thought it was cheesy, while others have noted on how much they thought it was the perfect dialogue to close the film with.
I thought it was awesome because it was such a perfect private moment between them, and wished more of the movie had this tone.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #619
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:

I enjoyed it. I thought it was the perfect line for both Clark and Superman.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #620
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:

It was perfect. The right note to end on. A little in-joke, and we can work out for ourselves what happens from there.

It's both welcome to the newspaper, and welcome to the human race.

And Clark's reply " Glad to be here Lois" was kind of him accepting his place in the world, which is what he was searching for all that time after he left home. At last he's uncovered his true identity, and found "the reason" that he was sent to Earth for. Well that's my take on it anyway.

People underrate Cavill's performance. From his first appearance on the fishing boat, until he meets Jor El, he doesn't really smile much. It's only after the flight sequence that we see some joy in the character. When he comes back to Smallville and goes to see Martha, there'a huge smile on his face, and all the angst is gone, because he knows who he really is.
I thought Cavill portrayed the change in the character admirably, because in that scene clearly Clark's more at peace with himself.....well until Zod shows up.

Anyway, the point is, I really liked it. And like the previous poster said, the final flashback was a nice touch to set up that scene - no dialogue necessary, just strong Snyder visuals, good actors and Zimmer's powerful music.

I had to restrain myself from cheering at the end of Man of Steel, I still can't understand why people don't find the ending hopeful, it's just bizarre. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

peace out Super fans !

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #621
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
It was perfect. The right note to end on. A little in-joke, and we can work out for ourselves what happens from there.

It's both welcome to the newspaper, and welcome to the human race.

And Clark's reply " Glad to be here Lois" was kind of him accepting his place in the world, which is what he was searching for all that time after he left home. At last he's uncovered his true identity, and found "the reason" that he was sent to Earth for. Well that's my take on it anyway.

People underrate Cavill's performance. From his first appearance on the fishing boat, until he meets Jor El, he doesn't really smile much. It's only after the flight sequence that we see some joy in the character. When he comes back to Smallville and goes to see Martha, there'a huge smile on his face, and all the angst is gone, because he knows who he really is.
I thought Cavill portrayed the change in the character admirably, because in that scene clearly Clark's more at peace with himself.....well until Zod shows up.

Anyway, the point is, I really liked it. And like the previous poster said, the final flashback was a nice touch to set up that scene - no dialogue necessary, just strong Snyder visuals, good actors and Zimmer's powerful music.

I had to restrain myself from cheering at the end of Man of Steel, I still can't understand why people don't find the ending hopeful, it's just bizarre. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

peace out Super fans !
I loved that scene. I really don't understand why some (I've never heard from anyone complaining on this) complain from this. IMO this was almost perfection. WOW.

John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #622
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I love the last scene and last couple of lines.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #623
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I've had many opportunities to re-watch MOS again on cable and one thing I didn't realize is level of Superman's powers fluctuate through out the movie. That flows with what Jor-El says about Kal testing his powers. Throughout the movie you can see Superman testing himself...and often failing, but when he does overcome he overcomes in a big way. I thought that was a great way for Snyder to show Superman is still learning to be Superman, and it's very evident if you watch the movie closely.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #624
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I've had many opportunities to re-watch MOS again on cable and one thing I didn't realize is level of Superman's powers fluctuate through out the movie. That flows with what Jor-El says about Kal testing his powers. Throughout the movie you can see Superman testing himself...and often failing, but when he does overcome he overcomes in a big way. I thought that was a great way for Snyder to show Superman is still learning to be Superman, and it's very evident if you watch the movie closely.
Tru dat ! For me the flight scene is my favourite part of the film,
Zimmer's music building in the background, Cavill's poise, and Crowe's narration. Love the way Crowe enunciates those last four words
"Keep...testing...your...limits!"

Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #625
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I think it also fits with the idea of him always holding back. He had never tested himself like that and in fact was doing the opposite.