The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #626
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I've had many opportunities to re-watch MOS again on cable and one thing I didn't realize is level of Superman's powers fluctuate through out the movie. That flows with what Jor-El says about Kal testing his powers. Throughout the movie you can see Superman testing himself...and often failing, but when he does overcome he overcomes in a big way. I thought that was a great way for Snyder to show Superman is still learning to be Superman, and it's very evident if you watch the movie closely.

On a related note, I liked that Superman also didn't find anything easy.
Whenever he had to use his powers, it was obviously a great effort
(hence lots of grunting), which added to the tension/urgency in the film.

I always felt that Reeve's Superman was a little too effortless, whereas Cavill/Snyder's version was much rougher around the edges, and really had to push himself. When he was fighting in Smallville (for the first time ever in his life) he was really fighting for his life, there was a real sense of urgency.

Even when flying, it's not until the end that he is able to float off the ground, until then he has to hurl himself at the sky.

Batmannerism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #627
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

On another note, one of the other things that I really liked about this film was how they made it an actual point to show it takes time and patience for an Kryptonian to get a full grasp of their powers.

Seriously, one of the things that served as a big pet peeve for fans of "Smallville" was how every time we had a Kryptonian showing up on the show (with their powers in tact) that they would all automatically know on how to use all of their powers, let alone being able to fly without any problems while Clark, who's had several more years of experience in that department than any of them (and who had to also go through trials in order to master some of his other powers) couldn't figure out how to fly until the series finale.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #628
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Other things that I liked about this film...namely..."Visual Continuity"

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #629
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

Agreed the youngers were cast perfectly. In my opinion they showed a natural progression with Clark Kent. They were believable in there roles.

" I have spent my whole life lookin' for that thing that killed my mother, and made me what I am. And every time I take one of those monsters out, I get a little piece of that life back. So don't you tell me about forgetting "
Daywalker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #630
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

You know, I was thining about the cheesy grin he gives at the end of the movie and I think one of the things I like is that Clark has this naturally kind of geeky energy about him.

I mean, he's not like CR's Clark and total characature... but he's not 'mr cool' either. I can imagine his Clark working really well Just being a bit clueless about pop culture, a bit socially uneven. I think it's really cute

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #631
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker89 View Post
Agreed the youngers were cast perfectly. In my opinion they showed a natural progression with Clark Kent. They were believable in there roles.

Totally ! The young Clark Kent actor in SMTM was pretty forgettable.

But the kids both did a great job in MOS, likeable and believable -which is all you can ask for really.

In fact my one suggestion is that if the film was made over, in the Tornado scene, they substitute Dylan Spraybury for Henry Cavill, because then it would seem to make more sense that Clark couldn't save Jonathan without revealling his secret.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #632
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Other things that I liked about this film...namely..."Visual Continuity"

Very well said, herolee!

Kryptonian Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #633
bluearth
Side-Kick

After Superman kills Zod and hes on his knees -

Theres a shot where the camera slowly creeps up on him from behind. Loved that shot when I first saw it in the theaters but didnt quite understand why. Now I think I do. Superman has his back to us - hes vulnerable - a beautiful way of bring such a powerful character down to earth in such an emotional scene.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #634
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Great point!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #635
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Time for something else I liked.

Krypton. It was neat, I liked the organic look and feel of it
Every time I watch the first 20 min.utes of MOS, I notice something
new about the Kryptonian Landscape.
The whole city looks like huge grooves carved out of the living planet
itself, and I've been watching it frame by frame to to pick out the detail
when Jor El goes on his dragon-flight. Every time I notice something new,
a spire or shape in the background that's part of the city.

In fact, if I could fault Snyder here, it's that he didn't do a big pan shot
like Donner did in Superman the MOvie, where he revealed the icy
Kryptonian Landscape. Snyder is possibly too brief, but I suppose he knows that geeks like me will watch the sequence in slow mo and revel in
every tiny fine point.

Really, it's pretty staggering, and showcases the depth of Snyder's
talent for visuals. 300 and Sucker Punch are really nothing in comparison,
because those are fantasy worlds (or fantasy versions of the real world)
. Snyder's krypton has a wonderful combination of the fantastic, but
somehow feels believable.

Probably the strongest visual being the descending prison ship, against the
enormous Kryptonian sun.

Now of course a lot of credit has to go to the folks at Weta Workshop (here in Wellington), but Snyder had the final say and as such should share in the glory.

And of course there's the whole liquid metal and organic Kryptonian technology....don't even get me started on that, that's for next time.

Peace out super-fans

Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #636
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I really can't say how much the moment where he first began to fly meant to me. It's the most moving thing I've seen put to film.

The whole heat vision messes with his eyes is a brilliant and natural limitation to his powers.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #637
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I really can't say how much the moment where he first began to fly meant to me. It's the most moving thing I've seen put to film.

The whole heat vision messes with his eyes is a brilliant and natural limitation to his powers.

Yeah ! "Flight" is my favourite scene in the movie. The music, Crowe's narration, Cavill's expressions, and the effects all coordinate to make it pretty thrilling. In fact, the very first time you see him in the suit it's like Superman walked out of the comics and onto the screen.

That's how Superman ought to be.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #638
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I love the ending scene with Clark entering the Daily Planet and the Zimmer cue crossing over into the end credits. Very Supermany.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #639
Mon-El

The thing I appreciated the most is: it made me a huge fan of Superman. I've never been a big DC fan, but it all changed with this movie.
Now, Superman is my favorite character and DC, my favorite universe.

Mon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #640
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Okay, I've seen Man of Steel waayyyy too many times.

Just noticed, music playing when Clark tackles Zod and
is punching him in the head while flying.....same music
Zimmer used when Jor El takes out Zod's goons in the passageway.

Nice !

Old 05-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #641
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Oh ! And, the soldier at Norcom who first uses the name "Superman"
is Canadian (check his uniform) subtle hint that Joe Shuster, co-creator
of Superman, was from Toronto.

Nice. I bet there are a ton of little hints and nods in MOS, if you go looking for
them (besides all the Easter eggs).

Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #642
Raelis Shae
Wayside Wanderer

The scenes with Clark and his mom.

The scene in Krypton with Lara and Jor-El. I love the desperation in Lara, the slight hint of madness in Crowe's Jor-El, and how painful it was in the end for both of them...especially Lara's.

Anytime they use heat vision. It's awesome.

Anytime Henry Cavill gives us that smile. Actually, anytime Henry Cavill is onscreen. :-D

Raelis Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #643
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I know that many fans don't like SR, and many like MOS, still, SR was a good movie.

Now, Zack Snyder is great at creating visually good looking scenes, still many scenes from SR looked good, I think that there are some shots in MOS that may remind some fans of SR. Visually similar looking scenes (even though in some cases, the context will be different.)

Also, homage to Donner movies in MOS.

Wow! universally, the MOS ones look so much better IMO.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #644
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
Wow! universally, the MOS ones look so much better IMO.
Tru dat !

Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #645
jasontodd
Superhero Enthusiast

Some of the little things I appreciated were.....

The very first music cue starting the movie off on a heroic note (literally)

The birth of Kal-El. Watching it now it seems even larger and mythic. Knowing where the story is going with the arrival of Superman being the catalyst for the larger DC Universe (Wonder Woman, Aquaman)

The exotic look of Krypton. Loved that it was so alien yet looked unique to how it's been shown before. While still being believable as Superman's home world.

The war on Krypton. One of the things in the Superman mythology that I always liked was the backstory of Krypton. As well as the conflicts going on amongst the Kryptonians (Smallville touched on this, and it was nice to see it addressed in Man of Steel as well)

Clark's inability to stop saving people. Even when he was a wandering vagrant attempting to isolate himself he was still a hero.

The pivotal moment when Jonathon Kent informs him of his alien origins. As a fan of these Superhero mythologies, I always am interested to see how different interpretations handle the essential pillars of the narrative of the hero's journey. This was one of those pillars. In my opinion the scene didn't disappoint. In some versions Clark is angry and confused (Smallville). In this version he seems scared and vulnerable. I particularly liked his line "Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son?"

Clark saving the school bus. I thought it was a nice nod to Superman saving the bus full of kids in Donner's Superman. As well as a great way to show the altruism of Clark even at a young age. He saves Pete the child who had been picking on him. He does this without hesitation. We later see that when he talks to his father, and asks him what was he supposed to do just let them die, that his own moral compass within himself is already extremely noble and a bit at odds with his father's fear and need to protect him. Great characterization there for the two of them.

The realism of the town of Smallville. I loved how they made it a point to show real life locations and businesses (Sears, IHOP) as opposed to fictional ones. Definitely helped in the suspension of disbelief and made it feel like our world. As did the Kansas city Royals T Shirt.

The Kryptonian invasion. I loved the way the Kryptonians were presented here and having the first Superman film to start the DC cinematic universe be part invasion film was a genius decision. Knowing where the story is going now, it's an ideal scenario to introduce the fantastic outlandish science fiction elements of the universe and make way for a Sea King, an Amazon Princess and a vigilante from Gotham city.

The first reveal of the Superman suit. That shot was pure iconic Alex Ross and the cape was beautiful.

Superman's personality. This was huge for me. This was something I felt was very much lacking in Superman Returns. One of the prerequisites for the Superman character is his ability to command respect and exude authority and confidence in any situation. It's why he has his position in the Justice League, and why he's a terrific partner and foil for Batman. When Superman was addressing the military for the first time, and he tells Swanwick "Don't play games with me General" I get the biggest smile and the first time I saw it I thought THAT is Superman! I never got that feeling from previous live action incarnations. However this was a Superman I could believe would command respect even among his Superhero peers.

The battle of Smallville. Everything about it. I loved the action the effects the character moments. I loved that Superman is a little unsure and not as confident, and since he is so inexperienced the fact that he is outnumbered and at a disadvantage yet still has to try, was again pure Superman.

I could go on for awhile, but I'm sure I will post again.

Long Live Spectacular Spider - Man!!!!

jasontodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #646
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontodd View Post
Some of the little things I appreciated were.....

The very first music cue starting the movie off on a heroic note (literally)

The birth of Kal-El. Watching it now it seems even larger and mythic. Knowing where the story is going with the arrival of Superman being the catalyst for the larger DC Universe (Wonder Woman, Aquaman)

The exotic look of Krypton. Loved that it was so alien yet looked unique to how it's been shown before. While still being believable as Superman's home world.

The war on Krypton. One of the things in the Superman mythology that I always liked was the backstory of Krypton. As well as the conflicts going on amongst the Kryptonians (Smallville touched on this, and it was nice to see it addressed in Man of Steel as well)

Clark's inability to stop saving people. Even when he was a wandering vagrant attempting to isolate himself he was still a hero.

The pivotal moment when Jonathon Kent informs him of his alien origins. As a fan of these Superhero mythologies, I always am interested to see how different interpretations handle the essential pillars of the narrative of the hero's journey. This was one of those pillars. In my opinion the scene didn't disappoint. In some versions Clark is angry and confused (Smallville). In this version he seems scared and vulnerable. I particularly liked his line "Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son?"

Clark saving the school bus. I thought it was a nice nod to Superman saving the bus full of kids in Donner's Superman. As well as a great way to show the altruism of Clark even at a young age. He saves Pete the child who had been picking on him. He does this without hesitation. We later see that when he talks to his father, and asks him what was he supposed to do just let them die, that his own moral compass within himself is already extremely noble and a bit at odds with his father's fear and need to protect him. Great characterization there for the two of them.

The realism of the town of Smallville. I loved how they made it a point to show real life locations and businesses (Sears, IHOP) as opposed to fictional ones. Definitely helped in the suspension of disbelief and made it feel like our world. As did the Kansas city Royals T Shirt.

The Kryptonian invasion. I loved the way the Kryptonians were presented here and having the first Superman film to start the DC cinematic universe be part invasion film was a genius decision. Knowing where the story is going now, it's an ideal scenario to introduce the fantastic outlandish science fiction elements of the universe and make way for a Sea King, an Amazon Princess and a vigilante from Gotham city.

The first reveal of the Superman suit. That shot was pure iconic Alex Ross and the cape was beautiful.

Superman's personality. This was huge for me. This was something I felt was very much lacking in Superman Returns. One of the prerequisites for the Superman character is his ability to command respect and exude authority and confidence in any situation. It's why he has his position in the Justice League, and why he's a terrific partner and foil for Batman. When Superman was addressing the military for the first time, and he tells Swanwick "Don't play games with me General" I get the biggest smile and the first time I saw it I thought THAT is Superman! I never got that feeling from previous live action incarnations. However this was a Superman I could believe would command respect even among his Superhero peers.

The battle of Smallville. Everything about it. I loved the action the effects the character moments. I loved that Superman is a little unsure and not as confident, and since he is so inexperienced the fact that he is outnumbered and at a disadvantage yet still has to try, was again pure Superman.

I could go on for awhile, but I'm sure I will post again.

Very much on the same page bro ! I could go on about this film for ages and ages, as I think the good far outweighs the stuff that wasn't great (which is true for all movies, but especially so for MOS).

Yeah, it was awesome (and long overdue) that Superman didn't take any crap from the military
" ...you don't control me, you never will. But that doesn't mean I'm your enemy."

For me, the Battle of Smallville is the best Superhero vs Supervillain fight ever, because unlike Supes v Zod, it's not 1 on 1, Supes has to fight two opponents at once (plus the military who are shooting at all of them).
And at the end, even though he comes out on top, he gets hit by a train !
You've got the soldiers there for a sharp contrast to the indestructible combatants, and seeing Faora cut loose on them was scary, but also
pretty exciting.

As for "pure Superman" it doesn't get any more Superman than this......

Now that is a straight-up Superman move, up in the air and POW !

And Krypton....wow, it's got the look of a dying world, as though all the life and colour are draining out of it. The brief civil war was really well done. And the scene where the prison ship descends, like a huge black spider, against the sun, man that was impressive - at least as impressive as the same scene in Superman the movie. I thought one of the best story tweaks was having the kryptonians essentially destroy themselves.
That they caused the calamity that befell Krypton.

Yeah, they might have been able to do without the codex, or at least have a better resolution to it, but I liked that Superman really was the "Last Son of Krypton" because he was the last child born there.....ever !

I think a lot of people don't get that this is a reimagining, much like Battlestar Galactica 2004 was a reimagining of the classic 80's series.

oh, well. Cheers !