The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #151
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I agree with Audrey. Love that moment in the field. I wanted it to last longer. It was a missed opportunity. They had a chance to show off their chemistry in that scene but it was cut off.
This is one place I think they had to cut to keep realism. Now, if they had shown more of Clark/Lois interacting in the cemetery, or in the interrogation room, it would have worked. But in the corn field we already have the invasion underfoot.

John Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #152
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Not sure I really get the 'Snyder's aversion to silent scenes' criticism. The film ends on a fairly lengthy 'silent scene' with young Clark playing in the yard with the cape, with his ma and pa watching.

I've been thinking about that scene, and how it received quite a lot of criticism from the GA on Reddit and that, as 'the last straw, as who is he impersonating if Superman doesn't exist yet'. I wonder if it could be a bit of his 'nature' coming out, I mean he's the result of aeons of Kryptonian lineage, could it not be some ingrained part of his passed down DNA showing up here. It could also be Kryptonians have far better photographic memory even as an infant and he has strange vivid dreams of seeing his father walk around in a cape, in the small amount of time before he was put in a capsule.

The other explanation is it's a bit of a Snyder continuity injoke where he's just impersonating the 'Smallville Spartans' who all look like the army in the 300. I prefer the Kryptonian genealogy explanation though.
Well, the fact that wearing a cape was not invented by Superman tells us there are all sorts of things he could be trying to present himself as with a cape. A hero from 300 seems a workable solution though.

Then after that we move into the last DP scene where Clark shows up, which is not action at all. If they wanted to end on action, they could have had a call about a shooting that Lois and Clark had to head out to cover. Then we could have seen Superman's debut. On the whole, I think they ended in the right way.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #153
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm glad that people didn't get upset as much in the film having Clark casually drink a bottle of Beer. I remember on how there were actually a group of people who were pissed off that Clark was allowed to drink beer in SR.
Well, the fact he takes off time on his first day back on the job to go drink beer made the scene odd on multiple levels.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #154
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
It is a fair point. But the Reeve films were much more light about it and I guess it just felt like the villains were being 'dealt with'. It was a far less direct killing having them fall to their deaths than brutally snapping their necks.
Read, more painful. To snap someone's neck is instant death. The throw them to their death, means they may be hurt by a few bang ups before they fully die. I take the MOS method any time.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #155
bluearth
Side-Kick

Angry Joe made a good point about there being so many heroes in this film besides just Superman

Perry White deciding to stay and comfort Jenny instead of running in the face of certain death

Colonel Hardy flying the plane into the World Engine

The coast guard who flew the helicopter in to save the oil rig workers

Im sure there was more instances but heres the thing. Without the help of the human military in Smallville being something of a distraction Faora and Nam-Ek would have probably killed Superman. Superman even needed the family at the end to give him the courage to finish Zod off.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #156
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
Angry Joe made a good point about there being so many heroes in this film besides just Superman

Perry White deciding to stay and comfort Jenny instead of running in the face of certain death

Im sure there was more instances but heres the thing. Without the help of the human military in Smallville being something of a distraction Faora and Nam-Ek would have probably killed Superman. Superman even needed the family at the end to give him the courage to finish Zod off.
I think that too... Faora and Nam-ek were a difficult threat... maybe B-man existed but what do you mean on your first sentence?

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.
MAN OF STEEL: THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE AND OUR 21st CENTURY SUPERMAN.

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #157
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansuperiron20 View Post
I think that too... Faora and Nam-ek were a difficult threat... maybe B-man existed but what do you mean on your first sentence?
Superman is suppose to represent hope, in this film he inspired people other then himself to do great things and be heroes themselves.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #158
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Superman is suppose to represent hope, in this film he inspired people other then himself to do great things and be heroes themselves.
Agreed...

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #159
the last son
Side-Kick

The scenE with Perry and JennY was one of the best I've seen in a comic movie. great.acting. They took a leap of faith to believe in one another .all while superman was giving his all to save them. Great scene.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #160
the last son
Side-Kick

Quote:

Good post

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #161
Tempest
Life is a cookie

I loved Lois in this film, in general.

They made her smart, capable, intelligent, strong. This is a Lois who is worthy of Superman's attention and love.

The best part about her is that she doesn't just care about Superman, or Clark -- she cares about all of him. She knows his secret, and is protective about it. I love, love, love that.

Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #162
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

They made her smart, capable, intelligent, strong. This is a Lois who is worthy of Superman's attention and love.

The best part about her is that she doesn't just care about Superman, or Clark -- she cares about all of him. She knows his secret, and is protective about it. I love, love, love that.
We saw the same movie

Old 08-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #163
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Probably late for this, but I just thought about the scene with Clark in the ocean after saving the oil rig, with the whale and her baby whale swimming passed him.

It's a metaphor for Martha and Clark, mother whale and baby whale. And Martha told Clark to pretend her voice was an island in the middle of the ocean, and Clark is literally floating in the middle of the ocean.

Just a thought.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #164
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I pick that up when I first saw it but there was so much that I liked that I forgot to post that one lol.....I also loved how at the end when Perry is saying I want you meet out new stringer.....if you notice in the background, it looked like Clark was looking for Lois ....so cute....it was like that was all he was thinking bout the whole trip to the DP.....he just wanted to be close to her. I know I'm probably reading to much into it lol, but I don't care!..

Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #165
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Something I liked but I don't think anyone commented on what that the scene at the end with Martha was at the cemetery. While they didn't directly discuss the destruction, etc, it seems like having the scene at the cemetery indicated a sense of grief. Maybe it was just to visit Pa Kent but I think it was supposed (not necessarily successfully for everyone) but connect to the losses in the battle. The scene could have just as easily been at the Kent farm so that it was at the cemetery is important.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #166
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
Something I liked but I don't think anyone commented on what that the scene at the end with Martha was at the cemetery. While they didn't directly discuss the destruction, etc, it seems like having the scene at the cemetery indicated a sense of grief. Maybe it was just to visit Pa Kent but I think it was supposed (not necessarily successfully for everyone) but connect to the losses in the battle. The scene could have just as easily been at the Kent farm so that it was at the cemetery is important.
I think u r reading too much.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #167
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
It was used so to link to the image of young Clark with the cape since that was mostly about what Pa Kent was seeing in Clark. So yeah, it did make a difference to have it there and not a rebuilt Kent farm

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #168
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Yo MOS fans, I'm sure we could all write an infinite number of posts in this thread because:

a) we're all folk who "got" MOS and what the creators were trying to do.
I feel really sorry for fans of Superman who didn't get it.

b) this film was made up of many many great moments, some big and
spectacular (like when Jor-el runs out of the council chamber and sees
civil war erupt on Krypton) and some small (like a red-caped Jesus
behind Clark, in the church scene.

Okay here are a six little touches that made MOS great (there are
heaps more, but these were four I could think of right now):

1) Clark drinks Bud and watches football, has facial and chest hair he's just a regular guy.

2) That Lois calls him Clark ! Not Superman, not Kal, but Clark.
The whole thing about her working out his identity as the starting point
of her character was terrific.

3) "Seasons" Chris Cornell's amazing mournful ballad from 1991, used to
set up the flashback. Nice.

4) Faora and Hardy's bookends scenes " A good death is its own reward"
the genius of this film was giving even the minor characters their moment
to shine.

5) "You are not alone" reminded me of old 50's black and white
alien invasion movies, a hat tip to classic sci fi.

6) Birth scene. The first sound you hear is Kal El's heartbeat. His first
cry after being born, the music swells, a panoramic scene of Krypton, the
creature in the field roars (it's almost like the start of the Lion King, you
just know that its the start of something big).

Of course I loved the not-so little touches e.g. Faora's fight scenes,
The flying scene, yeah, everyone loves that, but it's awesome,
especially the cadence with which Russell Crowe says "Keep, testing your limits " pure epic-ness.
My fave scene, the "You're the answer son." this film had a lot of heart (unlike Avengers) and that scene was a big part of that.

Peace !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #169
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

As much as I loved Lois chosing Clark over SM in L&C, I am glad to see we get a film where it does not come down to that. Especially since it is much better than SM2, where it seems Lois learns CK=SM, and then and only then, jumps into bed with him. True, some of that has to do with which is real and which is the disguise, but I think we have seen the CK/Lois/SM love triangle of two done to death, and it was time to move past that boldly.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #170
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Yo MOS fans, I'm sure we could all write an infinite number of posts in this thread because:

a) we're all folk who "got" MOS and what the creators were trying to do.
I feel really sorry for fans of Superman who didn't get it.

b) this film was made up of many many great moments, some big and
spectacular (like when Jor-el runs out of the council chamber and sees
civil war erupt on Krypton) and some small (like a red-caped Jesus
behind Clark, in the church scene.

Okay here are a six little touches that made MOS great (there are
heaps more, but these were four I could think of right now):

1) Clark drinks Bud and watches football, has facial and chest hair he's just a regular guy.

2) That Lois calls him Clark ! Not Superman, not Kal, but Clark.
The whole thing about her working out his identity as the starting point
of her character was terrific.

3) "Seasons" Chris Cornell's amazing mournful ballad from 1991, used to
set up the flashback. Nice.

4) Faora and Hardy's bookends scenes " A good death is its own reward"
the genius of this film was giving even the minor characters their moment
to shine.

5) "You are not alone" reminded me of old 50's black and white
alien invasion movies, a hat tip to classic sci fi.

6) Birth scene. The first sound you hear is Kal El's heartbeat. His first
cry after being born, the music swells, a panoramic scene of Krypton, the
creature in the field roars (it's almost like the start of the Lion King, you
just know that its the start of something big).

Of course I loved the not-so little touches e.g. Faora's fight scenes,
The flying scene, yeah, everyone loves that, but it's awesome,
especially the cadence with which Russell Crowe says "Keep, testing your limits " pure epic-ness.
My fave scene, the "You're the answer son." this film had a lot of heart (unlike Avengers) and that scene was a big part of that.

Peace !
Indeed.

Then it makes u wonder why the other superman fans dislike or even hate it more than SR!!!???
Because Pa Kent? They didn't show kid clark has cheerful childhood? The killing? The massive destruction? Or clark didn't reveal himself to the world first?

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #171
Jaxon
Side-Kick

I liked when Kelex (think that was name of Jor-El's tech partner) announcing a ship was inboard and it shows Zod's symbol on it's screen as part of the tactile image. Great attention to detail.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #172
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Indeed.

Then it makes u wonder why the other superman fans dislike or even hate it more than SR!!!???
Because Pa Kent? They didn't show kid clark has cheerful childhood? The killing? The massive destruction? Or clark didn't reveal himself to the world first?

Hey dude, my sarcasm filter isn't working so I can't tell if you're being
sly and sarcastic, or critiquing people's quibbles about the film, or you just didn't read the title of the thread, which is.....

"Little things you Appreciated/Loved" which would suggest to most
people that it was a place reserved for posting...surprise,surprise....
stuff you LIKED about the movie."

If you want to critique the film, start a thread for that, although there
are probably a few around already - I haven't bothered to look.

You could call your thread:

"Things I didn't like about the movie because it didn't live up to my
preconceived ideas of what a Superman movie should be"

You can post all of your bitterness there. I actually feel sorry for you
if those things stopped you enjoying this spectacular Superman film.
And, I don't blame you for your opinion, you are totally entitled to love or hate the film, fair enough.

I'm not going to waste too much time addressing all those points you raised because if you look around you'll find that many other people have responded to those criticisms with very well-reasoned and witty replies.

For Example, the "Killing" critique has been resoundly dealt with by posters who pointed out the list of villains Superman has killed in comics or on TV.

If you hate Superman killing Zod, who was poised to exterminate humanity
then you must have hated Avengers, as they killed a whole army of
Chitauri warriors, who were only out to conquer Earth.
Hell, you must hate Star Wars, Luke Skywalker killed tens of
thousands of people when he blew up the Death Star (you're telling me the
guy who worked in the Death Star snack bar, or the Death Star janitors
had it coming ?) And Wolverine, you must hate his movies, because those
claws, guess what they're for....

Okay, you got me there, I said I wouldn't waste time addressing that point, and I did.

Anyway, it's irritating that you're posting negative stuff in a thread
that's expressly designed for people to share things they loved about the film.

So, go find one of the hate-threads, or start your own. I wish you the best of luck with it.

In closing, I stand by my earlier statement that some people got this film, and some people didn't. Nolan's Batman was a reimagining, different but superior to the original ( Battlestar Galactica 2004-9 was another amazing reimagining)
Man of Steel has done the same thing for Superman, and for those people
who got what the creators were trying to do, you will never convince us that
it wasn't great (I never said it was perfect, but I definitely think it is a truly
great film, a worthy equal of Superman: The movie, and a brilliant
redefinition of the character for the 21st century big screen.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #173
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

I loved when Clark was on his bicycle riding to his new job at the Daily Planet, and his tie was flapping behind him. I loved how it represented his cape.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #174
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Hey dude, my sarcasm filter isn't working so I can't tell if you're being
sly and sarcastic, or critiquing people's quibbles about the film, or you just didn't read the title of the thread, which is.....

"Little things you Appreciated/Loved" which would suggest to most
people that it was a place reserved for posting...surprise,surprise....
stuff you LIKED about the movie."

If you want to critique the film, start a thread for that, although there
are probably a few around already - I haven't bothered to look.

You could call your thread:

"Things I didn't like about the movie because it didn't live up to my
preconceived ideas of what a Superman movie should be"

You can post all of your bitterness there. I actually feel sorry for you
if those things stopped you enjoying this spectacular Superman film.
And, I don't blame you for your opinion, you are totally entitled to love or hate the film, fair enough.

I'm not going to waste too much time addressing all those points you raised because if you look around you'll find that many other people have responded to those criticisms with very well-reasoned and witty replies.

For Example, the "Killing" critique has been resoundly dealt with by posters who pointed out the list of villains Superman has killed in comics or on TV.

If you hate Superman killing Zod, who was poised to exterminate humanity
then you must have hated Avengers, as they killed a whole army of
Chitauri warriors, who were only out to conquer Earth.
Hell, you must hate Star Wars, Luke Skywalker killed tens of
thousands of people when he blew up the Death Star (you're telling me the
guy who worked in the Death Star snack bar, or the Death Star janitors
had it coming ?) And Wolverine, you must hate his movies, because those
claws, guess what they're for....

Okay, you got me there, I said I wouldn't waste time addressing that point, and I did.

Anyway, it's irritating that you're posting negative stuff in a thread
that's expressly designed for people to share things they loved about the film.

So, go find one of the hate-threads, or start your own. I wish you the best of luck with it.

In closing, I stand by my earlier statement that some people got this film, and some people didn't. Nolan's Batman was a reimagining, different but superior to the original ( Battlestar Galactica 2004-9 was another amazing reimagining)
Man of Steel has done the same thing for Superman, and for those people
who got what the creators were trying to do, you will never convince us that
it wasn't great (I never said it was perfect, but I definitely think it is a truly
great film, a worthy equal of Superman: The movie, and a brilliant
redefinition of the character for the 21st century big screen.
Wow. Easy up. I was agreeing with u. There wasn't any sarcasm.
And I wish all the fans and everyone would love MOS.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #175
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Wow. Easy up. I was agreeing with u. There wasn't any sarcasm.
And I wish all the fans and everyone would love MOS.

Apologies dude. My Bad. have read a lot of posts citing those
issues as reasons the film sucked. Got on a roll there and kept
on going. Again, apologies !