The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should there be an extended DVD?
Yes. 28 77.78%
No. 2 5.56%
Depends on the nature of the cut scenes. 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should there be a directors cut?

Since I have only seen one movie EVER ( daredevil) which I didn't prefer the director's cut definitely.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Oh god no. Unless by cut you mean removing redundant scenes and replacing them with scenes that actually serve the story.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Gl extended cut was worse.

Redundant and cheesy scenes.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #29
Drewbee87
Side-Kick

There's a radio interview somewhere where either Snyder or Goyer said that there most likely won't be one.

Drewbee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Yes please, more Man Of Steel is a good thing in my book

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
kalelvis
Side-Kick

I definitely want to see an extended cut of the movie. I think the interrogation scene would add a lot to the movie. I don't think there are a lot of deleted scenes but there is certainly additional footage from the scenes we already have. The oil rig scene would certainly be stronger if it wasn't so rushed.

Since Debra Snyder said that what was in theaters is the "director's cut" then all that changes is the labeling on the packaging when it comes out, instead of directors cut it will say extended cut.

Last edited by kalelvis; 07-16-2013 at 01:20 AM.
kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
I definitely want to see an extended cut of the movie. I think the interrogation scene would add a lot to the movie. I don't think there are a lot of deleted scenes but there is certainly additional footage from the scenes we already have. The oil well scene would certainly be stronger if it wasn't so rushed.

Since Debra Snyder said that what was in theaters is the "director's cut" then all that changes is the labeling on the packaging when it comes out, instead of directors cut it will say extended cut.
Totally. Man of Steel-Special Extended DVD/Bluray anyone>

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Totally. Man of Steel-Special Extended DVD/Bluray anyone>
im totally up for that i would pay $50 for the chance to own the assembly cut, though

Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ You should put that on every message board on the internet. Hopefully WB will listen to it

Man of Steel: Daxamite Edition :P

Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #35
Super Kal
Side-Kick

to have a 3 hour Superman movie?... that would be beyond epic in my opinion

Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well from what I understand, sometimes films are better off not having all of their intended scenes present within since they tend to ruin the pacing of the film. I mean, as grateful as I am to see all of the new clips within the LOTR extended versions that we didn't get to see in the theatrical cut, I'm glad that some of it was cut because some of those scenes felt unneeded and definitely ruined the pacing of the film.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Except that the pacing of MOS kind of felt like this

Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'd like to see deleted scenes but no extended cut.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #39
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gur-Ak View Post
Ah, yes. I remember that photo, too.

Here:
This officially answers my question of how old was Kal El when he came to Earth.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #40
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well from what I understand, sometimes films are better off not having all of their intended scenes present within since they tend to ruin the pacing of the film. I mean, as grateful as I am to see all of the new clips within the LOTR extended versions that we didn't get to see in the theatrical cut, I'm glad that some of it was cut because some of those scenes felt unneeded and definitely ruined the pacing of the film.
i would personally disagree... as much as I loved LOTR, i loved the extended editions even more, and prefer them over the theatrical cut

Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i would personally disagree... as much as I loved LOTR, i loved the extended editions even more, and prefer them over the theatrical cut
I think Two Towers really stands out as being a great edition.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #42
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:

I haven't seen those but as I mentioned the only director's cut I've ever seen I liked less than the theatrical was Daredevil so I'm up for a director's cut.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #43
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
Well don't get me wrong; I mean, I do prefer the extended editions over the theatrical ones. I was just saying that I thought a scene here and there from the Extended Editions could have been left in the cutting room floor. I mean, I don't think seeing a scene of Merry and Pippin arguing about who's getting taller after drinking some water serves any purpose at all and made it feel even more apparent that the writers were just trying to find ways to extend their roles within the film since they were limited with what they could do and where they could go in that film.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #44
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
This officially answers my question of how old was Kal El when he came to Earth.
Personally, I wish we could have gotten this scene since I've been wanting to see a version of the Kents where they find an infant Clark as opposed to a toddler.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #45
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

And the hospital screaming scene. That scene, I think would make me appreciate the Kents more. Especially if Pa Kent is really composed.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #46
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

In Lois and Clark the Kent's find an infant Clark. In the comics is he a baby of a toddler?

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #47
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well don't get me wrong; I mean, I do prefer the extended editions over the theatrical ones. I was just saying that I thought a scene here and there from the Extended Editions could have been left in the cutting room floor. I mean, I don't think seeing a scene of Merry and Pippin arguing about who's getting taller after drinking some water serves any purpose at all and made it feel even more apparent that the writers were just trying to find ways to extend their roles within the film since they were limited with what they could do and where they could go in that film.
lol, i thought that scene was funny, but that's besides the point... my main concern is that i want to see all the footage that Zack Snyder created. to me, THAT is what came from the script, so if there is more footage out there, i think it would be a great privilege to let the entire world see just exactly what he had in mind if time wasn't a factor.

i mean, come on, lets face it: 60 minutes is a lot of footage... i bet everyone here is curious to see what was left on the cutting room floor. Donner's STM still has footage left out of the 2001 special Edition (the original cut of Superman The Movie was also 3 hours long) and i still want to see that in HD glory... Snyder has the opportunity. He should take it.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #48
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
And the hospital screaming scene. That scene, I think would make me appreciate the Kents more. Especially if Pa Kent is really composed.
Yeah. Going by the description, it doesn't sound as out of place as Goyer had said in an interview. I could see them transitioning from that scene and going to the boat stuff.

The main thing I'd want to see in an extended cut are more character moments. There were scenes that felt rushed and didn't get enough time. No need for any additional action.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #49
sef
Side-Kick

Since there's no 'Mackenzie Gray is Jax-Ur' thread and the following contains further indication of how much was omitted from the theatrical cut, I'm throwing this in here:
Quote:
Mackenzie Gray: How He Developed Jax-Ur for ‘Man of Steel,’ a Prequel and Not Wanting Superman to Die (Pt 1)

I recently had the opportunity to talk with Mackenzie Gray, who plays Jax-Ur in Man of Steel. The Kryptonian scientist has Krypton's fate in the balance of his hands in the movie, making the discovery of where the Codex is located.

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Mackenzie and I had a fun and lively discussion while he was on his way to set for an undisclosed project. Our interview was about a half hour and was very fun. There were several moments, which come in during later parts of the interview, in which he had me laughing pretty hard!

In Part 1 of the interview we talk about how he developed the character of Jax-Ur, his interest level in doing a Man of Steel prequel focused on Krypton, and a scene between Jax-Ur and General Zod which was ultimately cut back in the theatrical release, and Jax-Ur not wanting Superman to die.

ME: Many of the fans are familiar with you from your work on the Smallville TV series in which you played a Lex Luthor clone. When Man of Steel came on the horizon, how did you get involved with Man of Steel? Was it a phone call? Was it email? What was that experience like?

MG: It was a straight audition. I was submitted. And Zack called me and—but I didn’t read to him initially, it was just a tape [submission]- and he called me and I was actually a bit nervous. So I had put in a picture of me with a shaved head from the times on Smallville. I thought well I’ll just put it in there as conversation and said I had already worked for the franchise and Warner Bros during Smallville playing Lex Luthor and I threw a picture in there- and it was just before we started [production.] And he said “Oh, let me have a look” and he loved the picture, thought it was pretty cool […]He said “What a badass picture! Oh my God, that’s great! Listen, I’d like to see what you do” and he just pitched me an idea. He liked the audition. “We’re looking at different accents for the people from Krytpon. We’re looking at Australian accents, at German accents. Can you do that?” And I said “yeah, what do you want to try?” And he said “How about German? Not heavy German, maybe Euro German. Softer.” And I said “Yeah. I can do that.” So, I thought about how would it change what I’m doing in a scene and how would that accent affect it. I want to make it gentle. I think it makes it more sinister. Like if I’m quiet, just super quiet. So I do it and at the end of the audition he banged his fist on the table and said “You are an awesome actor! I’ll see you in the movie!”

ME: That’s fantastic! Just like that, Jax-Ur came to life!

MG: It was just a perfect storm.

ME: I loved Jax-Ur. I was captivated by everything Kryptonian because we’ve never really seen Krypton portrayed like this- with all the care and attention to detail.

MG: It’s really beautiful what they did.

ME: I found Jax-Ur very interesting. You touched on it a bit talking about the accent. When it comes to playing Jax-Ur, because he’s more than just a couple of lines- he has a real physical presence in the movie-

MG: There’s actually more. We shot about 14 scenes, but only about 5 ended up making it into the film. There was a lot more with him and Zod on the ship. But, what made it in there is really good and still tells the story really well. You always hate to lose stuff. It’s well written. Concise.

ME: The movie was amazing. So incredibly well written and brilliant. From the smallest level to the themes and plot points, and those over-arching ideas that are kind of really taken straight from our own headlines in this world.

MG: It’s not sequential. There’s flashbacks. I loved the structure and it was really well done. I think it allows you to understand how [Superman] has come to be who he is now. That’s a little harder to do if you’re going to do the traditional “he grows up, he becomes a teenager… linear.” It was really well done.

ME: Would you come back for a prequel?

MG: There’s been a lot of talk [from fans.] Russell tweeted he’d put on the tights again to do a prequel because fans are saying “we want to see more of Krypton.” I’d put my tights on in a heartbeat if we did a prequel!

ME: I’m one of the fans who wants to see more Krypton and what that would be like! On Krypton they wouldn’t have super powers, but there’s so much material in the comics, so much to explore: their awareness of other worlds, how the Justice League could end up getting involved at some future time. I felt Krypton was fantastic! I want more of this!

MG: Tell them! I’m behind it. Jax-Ur- he blew up Krypton’s moon. There’s so much that Jax-Ur is part of in the comic books. Lots to draw on.

ME: Definitely. When you go about creating for yourself, in your mind, what Jax-Ur is going to be like, aside from how you would approach his accent, what else do you draw on to convey that unethical, sinister scientist type who really has no moral code?

MG: I was thinking about the people who are “science at all costs.” There’s an element of that. Krypton is thousands of years ahead of Earth. I thought he should be cool and methodical, and analytical, that would be the best.
There was a scene that was cut down. After I’ve explained that I’ve found the Codex and …. This is a spoiler… after I make that big discovery, we’ll just say that.. I go on about what a brilliant genius Jor-El was and Zod gets very mad because he killed Jor-El. So, he tells me to “shut up” basically. There was a great moment that was shot. It shows that [Jax-Ur] has an appreciation for the genius of Jor-El and certainly he didn’t want to kill Superman.

ME: Kind of getting into some spoiler territory, but there was a moment in the film I noticed Jax-Ur’s hesitation. I’m going to throw out a spoiler alert here. When Zod asks if Kal has to be alive to extract the Codex and Jax-Ur’s response is “well , no. He doesn’t”- It was an interesting moment because I saw some trepidation with Jax-Ur about killing Superman. That was a silent moment. It surprised me.

MG: I played it as he absolutely did not want that to happen.

————————————————

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my interview with funny and talented Mackenzie Gray!
comicbooktherapy.com/mackenzie-gray-how-he-developed-jax-ur-for-man-of-steel-a-prequel-and-not-wanting-superman-to-die-pt-1

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #50
sef
Side-Kick

Part II:
Quote:
Mackenzie Gray: Stories of Working with the Cast and The “Freedom Fighters of Krypton” (Interview Part 2)

When we last left on Mackenzie’s Part 1 interview, we had just finished talking about how Jax-Ur absolutely did not want Superman to die. In Part 2 of the interview, Mackenzie shares more on his prep for the role in Man of Steel, some stories from set working with the cast, Jax-Ur’s age and the how the villains came to be called “Freedom Fighters,” which had been mentioned in some interviews.

MG: In terms of prepping for the role, I was flown down to Chicago to meet and work with Antje Traue so I could have the same accent as Antje. They wanted us to be from the same place essentially. It was good to get to know Antje. She’d been working for a week or two at that point. She had a really good take on what Krypton was all about in the movie. She was very helpful to me to get my head around that. The time I spent with Antje in Chicago was really important.

ME: Great chemistry then between the actors.

MG: Yeah. Antje and I are terrific friends and got really close during the shoot. We listened to music together, had a lot of fun, we had nicknames for each other and all that. Michael Shannon, he had a huge weight to carry. He was delightful to work with, he’s such a beautiful guy. Very intense all the time on set, but not intense off away on breaks. He and I share a background in theater. That opened us up [to each other] a lot more. Suddenly we had this whole other life to discuss and talk about. The theater is a totally different world that film. It’s not easy and it’s certainly not for everybody, too.

ME: Having been in television, then in this blockbuster movie with an 8 month production schedule- a really long one- what is the difference like between filming for television and filming for a movie?

MG: You never had any time to sit with the others. On Man of Steel, we shot a page a day. In television you shoot 7-10 pages a day, sometimes 6 pages. In terms of schedule [for TV], it’s fast and short. You work really hard long hours. In this film we had a bit more time. It was very set specific and it had to be taken into account. From the 20 what they call “witness” cameras, which were for all the CGI background. And then we had the hand held 35mm camera. It was being totally held by hand. It was just incredible, incredible work. To stay fresh on days like that, we’d go out to dinner between takes. You have to do a lot to stay fresh.

ME: Zack had Henry, Russell, and Antje with Gym Jones working out and getting into certain physical shape. Were you required to do any of that for your role?

MG: No. They liked the shape I was in and I didn’t have any battle scenes, so they didn’t think I needed to. I would have loved to have had the training! (laughing) I had started to lose weight and was actually trying to maintain my weight. Michael had said “if you lose any more weight I think you’re costume is going to fall off.” It took 2 hours to get me into it. He was worried because the costumes we so specifically tailored to us, to lose or gain weight, it would have been problematic to the costume- too much weight one way or another. So I did have to keep in shape to maintain the weight that I was.

ME: How long was your portion of the shoot?

MG: 3 months. That’s 15 days, but it’s spread out over 3 months. Antje, as was Michael, was in [filming] from July, 2011 to February, 2012. So they were in it pretty constantly.

ME: I don’t know if you’ve looked at it or not yet, but one of the books I have for Man of Steel, Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman written by Dan Wallace, it’s a really cool book. It has some concept art and talks more about back stories, and it talks about Jax-Ur in it as the scientist who created the genesis chamber system for genetically producing people. But I got a giggle out of it because we know from the movie that Krypton hasn’t reproduced naturally in thousands of years, it’s been done through genetic engineering… but Jax-Ur is the one who created the system. I thought “goodness gracious! How old is Jax-Ur?! Did they discover Kryptonian Botox or something?” (laughing) For someone who is thousands of years old, Jax-Ur looks really great!

MG: Unless you were genetically programmed to age like that. I don’t know how old he is supposed to be. I would say 400 is the new 30. (laughing)

ME: Well, I’ve got to tell you… as a woman of a certain age the idea of aging really slowly like that is quite appealing. (laughing)

MG: Absolutely!
We were walking along from one set over to main set,Michael, Antje and I and about 20 of our hulking Kryptonian guard, And you make a lot of noise when you’re walking on plywood. A young PA, it was his first day, he was reading a call sheet and he looked up when he heard the noise. He jumped and almost fell off the platform! “Oh my god! Oh my god! You’re such a badass villain!” And I said “We’re not villains. We’re freedom fighters for Krypton” and I started to use [Jax-Ur’s] voice and he got quite scared. (laughing) Then Michael Shannon said he liked that and was going to use it from now on.

ME: Freedom Fighters. I like that… it’s a headline waiting to happen. The new one on the internet.

——————

Stay tuned for Part 3 of the interview! There’s something coming up which will have fans really talking!
comicbooktherapy.com/mackenzie-gray-stories-of-working-with-the-cast-and-the-freedom-fighters-of-krypton-interview-part-2

sef is offline   Reply With Quote