The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Default Did Clark use a fake resume to get the job at the DP?

I was kind of reflecting on how, early on in the film, Lois remarks that Clark's "Joe" disguise is a false alias. Could it be that Clark creates a fake resume and slightly modified background for himself so as to acquire the job at the Daily Planet? I mean.. it's hinted that he's very smart (reading Plato and such), so I imagine that he's certainly capable of pulling off something like a false identity; and it would also make sense as to how he gets the job so quickly. Thoughts?

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 07-14-2013 at 03:25 PM.
ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Did Clark use a fake resume to get the job at the DP?

I've thought about this myself, it's not like he hasn't done this sort of stuff before in this world. I mean he got a job working on a too secret project with the ship in the ice. Yeah he wasn't really there out if any importance but he certainly would have to have credentials to get a job been there. I won't mind if he has a fake resume but I think they might go the comics route and say that he brought in a great story on the back of the alien invasion or something.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I've thought about this myself, it's not like he hasn't done this sort of stuff before in this world. I mean he got a job working on a too secret project with the ship in the ice. Yeah he wasn't really there out if any importance but he certainly would have to have credentials to get a job been there. I won't mind if he has a fake resume but I think they might go the comics route and say that he brought in a great story on the back of the alien invasion or something.
.. or they might not touch on it all, which would be a pretty revolting development.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
dnno1
Side-Kick

This is the reality of it all and I think this issue should be addressed in the next film as a subplot.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post

This is the reality of it all and I think this issue should be addressed in the next film as a subplot.
See, that's where his fake resume and background would come in. In that little write-up you shared, Perry has a problem with Clark's lack of experience. If Clark had created a false alias, though, he wouldn't have to worry about that.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
See, that's where his fake resume and background would come in. In that little write-up you shared, Perry has a problem with Clark's lack of experience. If Clark had created a false alias, though, he wouldn't have to worry about that.
He would have to produce some publised work to show his experience. The truth of the matter is that the print media is dying out because of access to the Internet. In the comics Clark has quit his job and is now a blogger and Lois is working for WGBS. Maybe they should consider doing the same for MoS2.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I had the same thought as well. On top of the fact that he seems to have gotten the job not too long after the invasion, it would also be very hard realistically speaking for a farm boy from Kansas to get a job at a newspaper company as big as the DP in a city as Metropolis, especially since he just moved there. In real life, that would be the equivalent of a farm boy from Kansas getting a job at the New York Times despite just moving to NYC. Since they established earlier that Clark has experience with creating fake identities and info, it wouldn't be that crazy of a notion. Maybe he wrote an article that Perry was impressed with. Or maybe Goyer just wants us to accept the fact that he got the job because this is a comic book movie. The sequel will have to answer all those questions.

I gotta say that I love the balance they found in Superman's intelligence. This Superman is still smart, as opposed to an idiot that needs to rely on Batman for any critical thinking, but at the same time he is not the perfect know-all Superman who knows everything and absorbed so much data that he puts the rest of the DC universe to shame. I've never been too fond of when writers wrote Superman that way (in most cases).

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
X Knight
Saber Class

that's why I think it would be a good idea to show in the sequel that Clark got a journalism degree at KU or wherever.

to show that he does have some kind of credentials.......

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
InJustice
Side-Kick

I agree, MOS implied that Clark went to University, so it'll be cool if the sequel implied that he was a Journalism major.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
X Knight
Saber Class

plus he was already wearing a KU shirt ( and liked KU football ). so it's not far fetched.

although the novel kind of implied that Clark did NOT go to college, or at least didn't mention it specifically.

it did mention that the Kents were pushing Clark to go to K-State during the car conversation right before the tornado.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

I was thinking about this earlier too--pretty funny how everyone was--and my question is what are the rules with stringers? Clark's going into DP as a stringer. I read that they get paid on a story by story basis and aren't considered employees. Maybe Clark starts off as a stringer and gets hired full-time after Perry is impressed with his work.

Or I could be all wrong about what a stringer is. Thoughts?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I just assumed Perry knew who he was, and hence gave him a job.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

He used the mind erasing kiss on Perry White and managed to convince him that he had already been hired.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I think Perry knows so he's willing to overlook Clark's fake resume, particularly if Clark is a stringer.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I think Perry knows so he's willing to overlook Clark's fake resume, particularly if Clark is a stringer.
How would he know if he didn't see Superman up close? I think he's going to go "Coleman Reese" on Clark Kent and then keep it quiet when he realizes that he's Superman.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I thought Perry saw Supes and Lois kiss. Maybe he didn't get the best look but Goyer seemed to hint that if Perry doesn't know then he'll figure it out in the sequel.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I had the same thought as well. On top of the fact that he seems to have gotten the job not too long after the invasion, it would also be very hard realistically speaking for a farm boy from Kansas to get a job at a newspaper company as big as the DP in a city as Metropolis, especially since he just moved there. In real life, that would be the equivalent of a farm boy from Kansas getting a job at the New York Times despite just moving to NYC. Since they established earlier that Clark has experience with creating fake identities and info, it wouldn't be that crazy of a notion. Maybe he wrote an article that Perry was impressed with. Or maybe Goyer just wants us to accept the fact that he got the job because this is a comic book movie. The sequel will have to answer all those questions.

I gotta say that I love the balance they found in Superman's intelligence. This Superman is still smart, as opposed to an idiot that needs to rely on Batman for any critical thinking, but at the same time he is not the perfect know-all Superman who knows everything and absorbed so much data that he puts the rest of the DC universe to shame. I've never been too fond of when writers wrote Superman that way (in most cases).
Lois helped him get the job. That's the only thing I can think of.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

It's one of those things it's be nice if they touched on it in MOS 2 but if they don't it doesn't really bother me.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Lois helped him get the job. That's the only thing I can think of.
exactly, I thought that was obvious...

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I don't agree that Lois helped him, she's definitely surprised to see him there at the end. If Perry knows then I can maybe see him been the one who helped him if anyone did.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I actually think the most unrealistic aspect of the movie wasn't the super-powers or alien races and planet terra-forming. It was that a guy who spent the last several years drifting and working odd and ends jobs like lobster fisherman and diner busboy could end up getting a high profile job at one of the top newspapers in the country.

I can buy a lot but in this job market? I don't think so!

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I actually think the most unrealistic aspect of the movie wasn't the super-powers or alien races and planet terra-forming. It was that a guy who spent the last several years drifting and working odd and ends jobs like lobster fisherman and diner busboy could end up getting a high profile job at one of the top newspapers in the country.

I can buy a lot but in this job market? I don't think so!
Well, a lot of people get good jobs nowadays by networking. One could assume that Lois helped to open a few doors for Clark, and she's just pretending to be surprised to see him on his first day at the Planet.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

That was a little hyperbole on my part but if this was a drama and not a superhero film that indeed would be by far the most unrealistic aspect.

Networking only gets you so far. I mean Clark is 33 and it's likely he's got some big gaps in his resume as it's implied he spect some years drifting and working odds and ends jobs.

The only plausible idea is that it was both Lois and Perry who know he's superman and as gratitude let him have a position there. I still think Goyer kind of wrote himself into a hole there though. It seems a little cheesy knowing it's going to be sort of a wink wink thing there with Lois and Perry and Clark as opposed to Clark being an actually respected employee there.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Andreth
Side-Kick

The novelization has many different scenes, She is surprised in it, but in the movie this moment is filmed differently, she gives him a knowing glance and smile. That wasn't the reaction of someone you haven't seen since train station scene. At least that's my impression, that she had something to do with him getting the job. And possibly Perry too.

I think it was a combination of many things

A fake resume
Some help and tips from Lois
Perry knowing and playing along
Clark being a very well read and smart guy

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD

Last edited by Andreth; 07-14-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

I guess he got it the same way he did in STM, here he spent 12 years in TFOS then got the job. I really don't care how he got it TBH.

Superherofan123 is offline   Reply With Quote