The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Did Clark use a fake resume to get the job at the DP?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that Perry White secretly knows that Clark is Superman (which Goyer all but confirmed in an interview). Perry got him the job in order to keep him close to Lois and himself (and out of gratitude for saving the DP staff's lives).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
Jim-El
"My Son"

I don't see the big deal...As The Sage said, he's just a stringer. No story = No income.

Oh and Bruce...That is HILARIOUS!!!

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Lois helped him get the job. That's the only thing I can think of.
I doubt it. She was surprised to see him there.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Loki882
Side-Kick

Perry got him the job, not Lois.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I actually think the most unrealistic aspect of the movie wasn't the super-powers or alien races and planet terra-forming. It was that a guy who spent the last several years drifting and working odd and ends jobs like lobster fisherman and diner busboy could end up getting a high profile job at one of the top newspapers in the country.

I can buy a lot but in this job market? I don't think so!
he's superman... man... maybe he supersudyied LOL... well being serious that could be explained in the sequel but I bet that Perry help him- with that job...

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Lois and Perry got him the job. This is the only explanation. Perry saw Superman and Lois kiss. They're all in on it.

Lois wasn't surprised to see him at the DP. She was just playing the part. 'Welcome to the Planet'. It wasn't like 'What are you doing here???'.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #33
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I don't believe Perry is in on this, but I do believe he'll find out sooner or later and be up Clark's ass more than ever because of any form of suspicion in the sequels (that's gonna be so fun to see how they manage this.)

When Clark arrived, Lois had this look that she kind of expected him and knew they both knew about it when they locked eyes. When she was doing her research for her "mystery man", she was aware that "Joe" led multiple identities and false alias's, so my initial thought was Lois pulling strings and helping Clark with a resume that would best suite the Daily Planet to be hired in as a stringer.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #34
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

maybe they'll expand on that in the sequel

isn't Clark wearing a Kansas State tee in one of the film's scenes? perhaps he got a journalism or writing degree from there that they made no mention of. he probably left that behind him once Jonathan died.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #35
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
I don't believe Perry is in on this, but I do believe he'll find out sooner or later and be up Clark's ass more than ever because of any form of suspicion in the sequels (that's gonna be so fun to see how they manage this.)

When Clark arrived, Lois had this look that she kind of expected him and knew they both knew about it when they locked eyes. When she was doing her research for her "mystery man", she was aware that "Joe" led multiple identities and false alias's, so my initial thought was Lois pulling strings and helping Clark with a resume that would best suite the Daily Planet to be hired in as a stringer.
It could be that Perry might not know yet. But I think we'll find that he does. I wouldn't be surprised to find the conversation between him and Lois to something like.
Lois: I need a favor, I need a job for someone.
Perry: C'mon Lois y'know I can't just hire someone without qualifications.
Lois: It's him.

Or even if it wasn't like that. Perry is a smart cookie. He could play stupid whilst knowing full well Lois is getting a job for him, as he saw them kiss.

I'm sure if they did have to convince Perry, Clark used the exact reasons he told his Ma, 'I need somewhere I can keep my ear to the ground, where I can go somewhere dangerous, and help.'

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #36
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

From the horses (goyer's) mouth on perry knowing or not?

Quote:
"I think that Perry’s not an idiot either – Perry knows they have a connection, he saw that they kissed – and at the end of the film we are very aware of that. So one would presume that moving forward Perry would say, ‘What’s the deal here?’ If the film is embraced over the next few weeks and we formalise things, that’s something we plan to follow up on."
http://www.empireonline.com/features...el-secrets/p10

Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #37
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Lois helped him get the job. That's the only thing I can think of.
Yep that's what happened for sure. She was happy to see him when he walked in, not surprised like "OMG its Kal-El". She knew he was on his way.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #38
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
The novelization has many different scenes, She is surprised in it, but in the movie this moment is filmed differently, she gives him a knowing glance and smile. That wasn't the reaction of someone you haven't seen since train station scene. At least that's my impression, that she had something to do with him getting the job. And possibly Perry too.

I think it was a combination of many things

A fake resume
Some help and tips from Lois
Perry knowing and playing along
Clark being a very well read and smart guy
I don't think Lois helped him get the job at all. Look at the ending she's surprised to see him and the smile was a nervous giggly smile to me. She's really happy to see him, she goes all shy cause she likes him. I think she certainly inspired him but nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I think that Perry White secretly knows that Clark is Superman (which Goyer all but confirmed in an interview). Perry got him the job in order to keep him close to Lois and himself (and out of gratitude for saving the DP staff's lives).
This is something I've been thinking but I think Perry may not even let on that he knows. Keeping it to himself but giving Clark the job after he applied for it. It might be a Peter Parker/Aunt May situation where when he finally tells her he's Spider-man she tells him she already knew but just never said anything.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #39
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #40
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I think that Perry White secretly knows that Clark is Superman (which Goyer all but confirmed in an interview).
Did Goyer actually say for a fact that Perry knows Superman is Clark though? No. He basically said that Perry senses there's a connection between Lois and Superman, and that he saw them kiss. Most of us here didn't need Goyer to share that bit of information, which was pretty obvious. Moreover, it's a bit of a stretch to extrapolate from such to Perry knowing Superman's true identity. However, the potential is certainly there for him to find out more in the sequel.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #41
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I won't mind if Perry does know but I'm not convinced he does by the fact he saw them kissing. People need to watch the scene again he's stood at a fair distance from them.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #42
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I like the idea people at the Planet know his secret but go along with the charade. It would be a whole new dynamic. Which to tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind. A theme of trust, like Superman says to the general at the end - "I'lll just have to trust you". Whether Superman's adopted planet will continue to let him live his life as a 'regular' human being irrespective of his alien identity. Lois knew but said nothing even when the stakes got higher and higher.

It would be a way for Clark to be more or less Clark without bumbling around and having to be something he's not. There could be traces of it, but not full on Reeve mode. Especially if they're trying to differentiate this series to the Donnerverse.

It is hard to buy. Though when it concerns Superman's secret identity remaining a secret, everything kinda is.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #43
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I agree it would be interesting and we've seen it the other way so many times, why not?!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
Loki882
Side-Kick

That's a great way to play it. You can do the same thing with the citizens of Smallville (Pete Ross definitely knows).

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #45
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I like the idea people at the Planet know his secret but go along with the charade. It would be a whole new dynamic. Which to tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind. A theme of trust, like Superman says to the general at the end - "I'lll just have to trust you". Whether Superman's adopted planet will continue to let him live his life as a 'regular' human being irrespective of his alien identity. Lois knew but said nothing even when the stakes got higher and higher.

It would be a way for Clark to be more or less Clark without bumbling around and having to be something he's not. There could be traces of it, but not full on Reeve mode. Especially if they're trying to differentiate this series to the Donnerverse.

It is hard to buy. Though when it concerns Superman's secret identity remaining a secret, everything kinda is.
If by people do you mean the whole staff or just Lois and Perry? I think it'd be hard to believe that a good number of journalists would abandon their journalistic principles and not report that superman works in their building?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #46
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I don't agree that Lois helped him, she's definitely surprised to see him there at the end. If Perry knows then I can maybe see him been the one who helped him if anyone did.
Is she surprised to see him, or just happy to see him and pretending she doesn't know who he is?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #47
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
The theme of trust can be a very rich dynamic to explore in the sequel, seeing even someone like Pete Ross, who Clark saved, gave his identity up pretty easily to Lois when she came a investigating.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Is she surprised to see him, or just happy to see him and pretending she doesn't know who he is?
I think it's the latter and that she probably had a hand in bringing him into the Daily Planet. Then again it could be the former; I wouldn't put it past Clark to craft/forge/have the right credentials seeing how he managed to get himself on board a top secret military expedition.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I really did like the change to the Lois and Clark relationship. I mean, one of the things about Lois eventually learning the truth was how hurt she seemed to be from the lying Clark had basically done. Depending on which version it is too, the feeling of betrayal of trust seemed to be worse when Lois had been in a relationship with Clark only to later learn he'd been Superman the whole time.

I like that Lois is in on it from the beginning, so there's already a strong bond of trust between them. I also like that Clark has someone covering his ass on the Daily Planet side of things, like how Bruce had Lucius covering his ass on the Wayne Enterprise side of things. Having an ally on the inside to help cover his tracks helps suspend some of the disbelief that they'd get away with things.

The Daily Planet might have lost a few reporters because of the invasion, so Perry giving a job to an inexperienced reporter because he has a roster to fill could make sense to me too.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #50
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
The Daily Planet might have lost a few reporters because of the invasion, so Perry giving a job to an inexperienced reporter because he has a roster to fill could make sense to me too.
Very good point. And throwing an aside; imagine some dumb-rear finds out Clark is Superman and carries on like "It IS you! You orchestrated the entire invasion just to get a job on the planet - You Sir are a monster!"