The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #76
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATZARRO WWD View Post
I do think it was weird that in Skyfall they kind of joked that he didn't get any gadgets. I thought this Bond didn't ever get any "exploding pens", and just got into things a few movies ago by killing that guy in the bathroom.
Yeah, it sure did seem weird, didn't it? Almost like it didn't make any sense at all! But boy do audiences love all those knowing winks and nods so they can sit there satisfied that they understood the joke even though it made no sense within the context of the story or world they've established.

Love the line about killing a guy in the toilets. Perfectly indicative of the re-booted version of Bond they were going for. A bit more thugish at times and reliant on his brain and brute strength...suddenly gadgets? Exploding pens? Tricked out Aston Martins? It's like they threw CR and QoS (which were on the right track) out the window in favour of rehashing the tired old tropes and cliches. Back to formula!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATZARRO WWD View Post
Personally, I think they could go more in that direction, but, you know, in moderation. Not that they aren't already slowly going there.
Indeed. Mendes is a *serviceable* director, but the story for Skyfall was SO weak. If they get a strong script, and Mendes reigns in and restrains himself a bit more, Bond 24 could be quite good.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #77
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,950
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATZARRO WWD View Post

I do think it was weird that in Skyfall they kind of joked that he didn't get any gadgets. I thought this Bond didn't ever get any "exploding pens", and just got into things a few movies ago by killing that guy in the bathroom.
A significant amount of time passes between QOS and Skyfall. This is made clear throughout the film, and its hit right on the head when M says "You know the rules of the game. You've been playing it long enough." This being said, Skyfall isn't a sequel like QOS. What happened in CR and QOS doesn't really matter to this film's plot. This Bond in Skyfall has been at it a while, and has an established history as a 00 agent.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is online now  
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #78
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,318
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

In the next movie Bond will be drinking purple drank

__________________
advanced idea mechanics
chamber-music is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #79
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
A significant amount of time passes between QOS and Skyfall. This is made clear throughout the film, and its hit right on the head when M says "You know the rules of the game. You've been playing it long enough." This being said, Skyfall isn't a sequel like QOS. What happened in CR and QOS doesn't really matter to this film's plot. This Bond in Skyfall has been at it a while, and has an established history as a 00 agent.
But presumably they take place in the same timeline, though it's not a "direct" sequel (as QoS was). We're given no reason to assume otherwise.

Is there any reason not to assume that Skyfall takes place in 2012? CR (and presumably QoS) take place in or around 2006. So six years he's "been in the game".

Or are we just meant to assume: "Oh, it's James Bond, he's been around forever!" (playing into the collective consciousness' understanding of the character) For all intents and purposes chucking out the very effective character/world building of the previous two films.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #80
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,368
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Bond should use gadgets- the nasty type. Fibre wire wire from his watch, a throwing knife in his shoe heel etc. It is a way of representing the fact that he always has a last line of attack and, in a high tech world, it is usually cold steel. Q-branch needn't all be about invisible cars.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #81
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
It's so crazy that a film starring Connery, of all people, as Bond gets the cold shoulder from so many just because of the production company's pedigree. Not that it's any great shakes as a film. They're ripping off freakin' ThunderBall after all.
Believe you me, it's not because the production company was different. I tried to watch it as part of my most recent Bondathon. It's unwatchable to me.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #82
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,827
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Never Say Never Again? That movie was so dull. Plus it has the worst theme too.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #83
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's like they threw CR and QoS (which were on the right track) out the window in favour of rehashing the tired old tropes and cliches. Back to formula!
That's exactly what they did. Can't say I hate the direction they took, but there's a reason my fave 007 film is CR.

Then again, EON is pretty known for getting cold feet every time a new thing they try fails. I could see SF coming in 2008.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #84
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Yeah, it sure did seem weird, didn't it? Almost like it didn't make any sense at all! But boy do audiences love all those knowing winks and nods so they can sit there satisfied that they understood the joke even though it made no sense within the context of the story or world they've established.

Love the line about killing a guy in the toilets. Perfectly indicative of the re-booted version of Bond they were going for. A bit more thugish at times and reliant on his brain and brute strength...suddenly gadgets? Exploding pens? Tricked out Aston Martins? It's like they threw CR and QoS (which were on the right track) out the window in favour of rehashing the tired old tropes and cliches. Back to formula!



Indeed. Mendes is a *serviceable* director, but the story for Skyfall was SO weak. If they get a strong script, and Mendes reigns in and restrains himself a bit more, Bond 24 could be quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
But presumably they take place in the same timeline, though it's not a "direct" sequel (as QoS was). We're given no reason to assume otherwise.

Is there any reason not to assume that Skyfall takes place in 2012? CR (and presumably QoS) take place in or around 2006. So six years he's "been in the game".

Or are we just meant to assume: "Oh, it's James Bond, he's been around forever!" (playing into the collective consciousness' understanding of the character) For all intents and purposes chucking out the very effective character/world building of the previous two films.
You're on the money.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #85
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,984
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

The way I saw it, Skyfall was essentially an origin film blended with the 50th anniversary.

Bond obvious gets brought in and given the 00 status in CR where he finds and loses his first love, and QoS was him realizing to get past his own pain. Skyfall pretty much finishing off the origin by establishing his relationship with the Moneypenny as well as the incorporation of Q into MI6, not to mention the male M. By the end of Skyfall Bond has his three big main characters and his view on life is firmly established as the man who is not only ready to do his duty for England, but to do it with pleasure.

Obviously they had all kinds of winks and nods, but that's to be expected given that it's not every day that you get to celebrate 50 years of a series.

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #86
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Unless it's Groundhog Day!

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #87
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,984
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Starring George Lazenby and Diana Rigg.

Instant Oscar.

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #88
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

4 Billions, shot in 128 fps.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #89
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,984
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Cut. Print. Orgasm.

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #90
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,318
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Critically acclaimed

__________________
advanced idea mechanics
chamber-music is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #91
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 8,454
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Skyfall was all about returning series to roots and moving away from being a jason Bourne influenced series.You could skip QoS and view Skyfall as seond and final part of turning Danial Craig In Iconic Bond.Craig's Bond at end of skyfall you could almost imagine walking into the early Connery films.

Despite spending so much time as sendoff to Judi Dench Skyfall to me has been only real bond film since reboot..And box office clearly showed GA liked return to being more bond like even though it being 50th annivarsary and first film In 4 years had effect on Box office.

marvelrobbins is online now  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #92
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,396
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Casino Royale was absolutely a Bond film, just a younger inexperienced Bond. I hate the whole "this is a true such and such" complaints. They've done more grounded and gritty Bond films before (Dr No, FRWL, OHMSS, FYEO, and others). The only differences with CR was Bond's greenness. Also, it's pretty clear that a lot of time has passed between CR/QOS and Skyfall, it was obvious by the dialogue and how the characters act.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #93
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Yeah, it sure did seem weird, didn't it? Almost like it didn't make any sense at all! But boy do audiences love all those knowing winks and nods so they can sit there satisfied that they understood the joke even though it made no sense within the context of the story or world they've established.

Love the line about killing a guy in the toilets. Perfectly indicative of the re-booted version of Bond they were going for. A bit more thugish at times and reliant on his brain and brute strength...suddenly gadgets? Exploding pens? Tricked out Aston Martins? It's like they threw CR and QoS (which were on the right track) out the window in favour of rehashing the tired old tropes and cliches. Back to formula!
Skyfall didn't rehash old cliches and go back to formula. I'm wondering what movie you were watching. It averted and subverted them, but it rarely exactly rehashed them. I wonder if you're trolling with gadgets part, especially considering they were both easter eggs (one only being a wink-wink reference) that weren't even utilized in the movie. It was a nice sendup to the older movies. Sure, some people will be baffled by the passenger ejector seat in the car, but sometimes, you gotta go screw it.

The whole movie, much like Goldeneye in the past (and definitely differing by being even more on the nose), is about Bond's (but not only Craig's Bond but the whole history and legacy of Bond) place in the post 9/11 world, even more so than CR and QoS, especially when you think about M's speech. I think it does a great job of making references to older films while keeping this only about Daniel Craig's Bond (which is why I'm actually glad they didn't pursue Connery for Kincaid).

After CR/QoS, it feels like a natural evolution for Bond to finally be fully aware of all the risks within the espionage world, like his reaction to Severine's death, and his conversations with M and Mallory. He went from (for lack of a better word) emotional thug in Casino Royale and QoS to more of the Bond we do know.

Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #94
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Skyfall didn't rehash old cliches and go back to formula. I'm wondering what movie you were watching. It averted and subverted them, but it rarely exactly rehashed them. I wonder if you're trolling with gadgets part, especially considering they were both easter eggs (one only being a wink-wink reference) that weren't even utilized in the movie. It was a nice sendup to the older movies. Sure, some people will be baffled by the passenger ejector seat in the car, but sometimes, you gotta go screw it.
Yes, it's an easy way to pander to the "fans". "Easter Egg", "send up", "wink wink reference", all instances that made no sense in terms of not only the story ("We don't go for exploding pens anymore" HAHAHA. GET IT? LIKE THE OLD BOND MOVIES?!?!), but the direction that the series has been headed since 2006. If CR and QoS had never existed, Skyfall would have made perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
After CR/QoS, it feels like a natural evolution for Bond to finally be fully aware of all the risks within the espionage world, like his reaction to Severine's death, and his conversations with M and Mallory. He went from (for lack of a better word) emotional thug in Casino Royale and QoS to more of the Bond we do know.
Same goes for him being a world-weary, worn out, old timer as well, huh? This, along with the other aforementioned elements just felt out of place and poorly executed. As though they wanted to tell their little (heavily TDK inspired) revenge story and have their fun whilst completely disregarding the previous two films in the meanwhile.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #95
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Skyfall was all about returning series to roots and moving away from being a jason Bourne influenced series.You could skip QoS and view Skyfall as seond and final part of turning Danial Craig In Iconic Bond.Craig's Bond at end of skyfall you could almost imagine walking into the early Connery films.
It's roots. Right. And by that you mean it's FILM roots. I thought CR was meant to return Bond to his proper roots (the books)?

So like, When the Coen brothers adapted True Grit (2010), they should have put in homages and references and easter eggs to the John Wayne film, right? No. They adapted from the original source material. The books.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #96
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Skyfall still makes sense for the reason I've stated above, and the execution was great as the themes came across in a clear and very well done manner while providing good action and a great villain with entertaining easter egg references.

It really doesn't matter if that part didn't make sense or not. But let's play you game, because you must be right. It's not like Bond had access to the Q branch and had them put in a passenger eject button in his car. It's not like the Q branch could have made exploding pens the past. Nope, neither are possible.

Continue being right.

Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #97
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's roots. Right. And by that you mean it's FILM roots. I thought CR was meant to return Bond to his proper roots (the books)?

So like, When the Coen brothers adapted True Grit (2010), they should have put in homages and references and easter eggs to the John Wayne film, right? No. They adapted from the original source material. The books.
CR did return him to his proper roots and Skyfall, like QoS, continued the evolution of his character.

I'm just going to ignore the Coen brothers part because that's a terrible analogy.

And they didn't disregard anything about the previous movies, either. Have you watched Bond movies? They usually do have little to do with each other plot with the exception of QoS. Even with Connery's movies, there were few references to previous movies. I wonder what you would have thought about Goldfinger in the 60s.


Last edited by Parker Wayne; 09-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #98
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 8,454
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Some need to accept there are lot of people who call themselves bond fans who
are fans of films and may have never read any of the books.

If your fan of films Skyfall was returning the Bond on film people knew.And it's
a bond akin to first few films.

Now I thought doing a 50th annivasary film after being rebooted was kind of stupid.But the producers wanted skyfall to be seen as 23rd bond film not third film In rebooted series.It was part of reason for skyfall's huge sucess.

at end of skyfall you have office similar to classic films.A new M while not the same character that Bernard Lee played is very similar.Moneypenny Is at her station.You get to know the history behind their flirtias relationship.You even have a Q,not same as classic q but still,Plus Bond that can have a sense of humor and enjoys life.Craig at floating casino In SKyfall Is classic Bond.He even gets to be womanizer with bedding one woman when he pretends to dead as well as silva's doomed henchwoman

Craig has already hinted at more humor In next film.It would probally be like
In early Sean Connery films not like In Roger Moore films.

Doing bond films Is whole different story than remaking film based on Novel.That's a dumb compassion.

I see them wanting Craig to play bond as kind of cross between Connery and the novels.

marvelrobbins is online now  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #99
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Skyfall still makes sense for the reason I've stated above, and the execution was great as the themes came across in a clear and very well done manner while providing good action and a great villain with entertaining easter egg references.

It really doesn't matter if that part didn't make sense or not. But let's play you game, because you must be right. It's not like Bond had access to the Q branch and had them put in a passenger eject button in his car. It's not like the Q branch could have made exploding pens the past. Nope, neither are possible.
Anything can make sense if you reason it enough. You seem to have figured this out.

Is this Bond the type that would have Q branch trick his car out? If CR and Qos mean anything, I'd say now. Wait, wasn't Bond all about "sometime the old ways are the best." in Skyfall? Why would he trick out his car? Wait, wasn't he just introduced to Q and presumably Q branch in Skyfall?

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Continue being right.
Cheers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
CR did return him to his proper roots and Skyfall, like QoS, continued the evolution of his character.
What evolution? You mean evolving back into the "classic" film Bond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I'm just going to ignore the Coen brothers part because that's a terrible analogy.
Right. It's terrible because it doesn't further your point. They're both book to film adaptations, are they not? CR was great and refreshing in that it, for the most part, ignored the previous 40+ years of Bond and did something new with the character, bringing him back to a version closer to what Ian Fleming had originally intended. The Coen Brothers did the same. Skyfall got cold feet and took the easy, safe predictable, pandering way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
And they didn't disregard anything about the previous movies, either. Have you watched Bond movies? They usually do have little to do with each other plot with the exception of QoS. Even with Connery's movies, there were few references to previous movies. I wonder what you would have thought about Goldfinger in the 60s.
Because that's the way it's always been, that's the way it should always be. *sigh* Some of us have come to expect something more from these films. CR and QoS were on the right track only to fall back downhill with Skyfall.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Doing bond films Is whole different story than remaking film based on Novel.That's a dumb compassion.
Is it? Was CR not an adaptation of the Novel? Did QoS not continue the character in the same direction? Yes it was and yes it did. The comparison isn't "dumb" just because you say so.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #100
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: James Bond 24 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Some need to accept there are lot of people who call themselves bond fans who
are fans of films and may have never read any of the books.

If your fan of films Skyfall was returning the Bond on film people knew.And it's
a bond akin to first few films.

Now I thought doing a 50th annivasary film after being rebooted was kind of stupid.But the producers wanted skyfall to be seen as 23rd bond film not third film In rebooted series.It was part of reason for skyfall's huge sucess.

at end of skyfall you have office similar to classic films.A new M while not the same character that Bernard Lee played is very similar.Moneypenny Is at her station.You get to know the history behind their flirtias relationship.You even have a Q,not same as classic q but still,Plus Bond that can have a sense of humor and enjoys life.Craig at floating casino In SKyfall Is classic Bond.He even gets to be womanizer with bedding one woman when he pretends to dead as well as silva's doomed henchwoman

Craig has already hinted at more humor In next film.It would probally be like
In early Sean Connery films not like In Roger Moore films.

Doing bond films Is whole different story than remaking film based on Novel.That's a dumb compassion.

I see them wanting Craig to play bond as kind of cross between Connery and the novels.
Vid just needs to stop overreacting about Easter Eggs and accept that the Bond movies were actually successful before Daniel Craig.

The best version of Bond on film isn't novel Bond. The best version of Bond on film that works is a cross between traditional aspects of cinematic Bond combined with elements of the novels, which is what made Craig's Bond movies great, and by adding more of some of the traditional elements of Bond movies slowly and in subtle ways, it helps rejuvenate the Bond series and continues to keep giving the series it's own identity than Daniel Craig's Bond being a ripoff of Bourne movies.

Parker Wayne is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.