Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #276
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Hardy's Bane is so far my favorite version of the character in terms of look and voice, etc. But ive always loved Bane from the comics. A lot of great stories from the 90s. His intelligence is amazing. But you can also say that Ras (or Raysh ) Al Ghul is more fascinating of a character than Nolan's. This all means nothing to me when im watching a film. I concentrate on what im getting in the movie and I don't compare too much. This version of Bane was amazing and one of the best villains these genre of movies have to offer. It closed off the last movie with a bang. He was still intelligent and powerful as hell. I also adore Neeson's version of Ras who was an amalgamation of Ras Al Ghul and Henri Ducard.
I loved his look although I'm not a big fan of the sweater in the finale but the voice needed some work though they had the right idea. I didn't want the Bane from the comics but merely a representation of the grave physical and intellectual threat suited to this universe which I feel wasn't done as well as it could have been. I'm not bringing any other character into my argument for they are useless in portraying my point and my focus is on the movie I'm getting alone indeed. He wasn't impressive and engaging enough for the movie being presented which is the same way I feel about the story and direction of most of the film.

Quote:
For the story that was told, I don't see how Hardy's Bane could have been better. I cant think of any ways to show that he was more intelligent or whatever you're nitpicking. I guess you wanted the entire plan to be his and not Talia's? Well it was both of their plans. He still had an incredible journey. Showing him break out of the prison or reading in his cell wasn't necessary for this version. He was smart and physical, he was like a warlord. He was trained by the League, just like Bruce in Begins..but people don't complain about that do they?
Then I guess there's nothing I can say to sway your mind Again I wasn't asking for the Bane of the comics but a more original and worthy characterization of an equal or superior threat to the batman.

Quote:
Bane was excommunicated and then he went on his own path and gathered up followers. Sure it would have been cool to see him climbing mountains, recruiting his men, but this probably happened anyway. You just have to use your imagination.
Not even I expected anything like that

Quote:
Heck there was a certain level of emotion at the end of the movie that I don't remember him having in the comics. There were no damn teddy bears or romantic puppy love stuff going on. It was a love for a child in a protector kind of role. Like a guardian. The only innocence left in his life. He was nobodys *****.
LOL! Can't even imagine Osito in this universe but the whole protector scenario was overshadowed by the child making the jump (which I thought was ridiculous and stretching too far) and Bane not achieving this great feet. In order for us to see him as this equal or superior force and villain to wreak havoc on levels unknown, that story was too soft for his nature.

Quote:
Yeah, he wasn't so obsessed to the point where he comes to Gotham to challenge Batman, nooo, but he it's cool that Nolan liked to change things up to fit his universe.
Again..... That's just plain wrong for this universe but I at least would have preferred he chose to go to Gotham for another reason other than a reason that was not even his own in the first place. I'm sure they could have thought of some way to get his focus on Gotham with a more original story line which didn't rely on Begins and still bring the story to a more epic satisfying end other than cliche revenge.

Last edited by Isearch4dope; 07-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #277
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Harvey/Two-Face was my favorite part of TDK, but even then, I wish he wasn't killed off. We never really got to see a proper Two-Face. It was close, but he didn't really flip between Harvey and Two-Face, he was just mainly Mad-Face after Rachel died.
Yeah, Harvey's whole MO as Two-Face was mostly "I lost Rachel! Now I'm crazy!" Kind of lame, but whatever.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #278
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

lol "Mad-Face"

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #279
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
It reminds me of the same hollow assumption that if you don't like TDKR it's because it's not TDK 2.0

Not that I'm saying theShape is guilty of that particular stupid assumption.
Definitely not guilty of that assumption, nor am I guilty of the opinion that "people didn't like Bane because he wasnt the Joker." I don't think my earlier post indicated me as having any particular assumptions about people's opinions. I was merely offering my own two cents, and I feel my post was completely valid within context.

Not sure what The Batman's problem was.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #280
regwec
Shakespearo

I think this thread is finally in need of retirement, or my retirement from it.

It has been a pleasure talking with you all, and I hope we will cross swords again in the 'Future Batman Movies' forum.

Adieu!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #281
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'll miss you reg

*sniff*

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #282
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Damn, missed a nice chunk of discussion there in the few hours I was gone.

See you around, reg.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #283
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Lets say positive things about the dark knight rises...

Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #284
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Catwoman was great. My favorite part about the film. She was totally Catwoman. I loved it.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #285
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I probably feel the same way about Catwoman that you do about Bane. Hathaway was good in the role and got the spirit of the character right, but not all the elements were there that I wanted to see.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #286
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I really enjoyed Barsad quite a bit. Despite only having a few spoken lines in the film, Josh Stewart just had this cool presence and gave off a reverence for Bane that made me read some history between the two. Went a long way in selling Bane as a revered figure/legend to the LOS...like their version Batman.

Can't underestimate the impact of a well-placed minor character.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #287
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I loved her. I thought she was the best live-action Catwoman so far. My only complaint was that they really toned down some of the dominatrix themes that come with Catwoman, which I didn't mind too much.

Also, minor nitpick: Why would they take a name as cool as Roland Daggett and change it to John Daggett?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #288
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think sometimes they changed the names of characters as a way of paying respect to the original one if they made changes. Eg. Montoya wasn't corrupt, so we have Ramirez, Roland Daggett owned a pharmaceutical company rather than a construction company so we have John Daggett.

I figure they think that's their way of covering their tracks for fans who might complain about the changes and say the characters are only the characters they're based on in name only, but ironically they probably confused more fans by not just using their actual names.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #289
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Ramirez and Montoya are nothing alike though in the first place. Not that TDKR's Daggett was similar to Batman TAS' Daggett but at least they're both antagonists.

That name sounds really cool though. Roland Daggett. Flows really well and even sounds intimidating to an extent. It's not really an issue but it was ironically my biggest "Why?!" moment in theatre . It felt a bit weird too to change that since there was already a John (Blake) in the film.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #290
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

There are a few things throughout the whole trilogy that were taken from Batman TAS or were a tribute to it, which I like. Daggett is one example. Another example is Scarecrow tainting the water supply below Arkham Asylum. I remember there being a couple more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #291
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Well I mean, there's one widely-established Hispanic female cop character in the Batman universe, so the fact that they even put one in theirs is likely influenced by Montoya. Not that having racial/gender diversity in the GCPD isn't a good enough reason in and of itself, but Nolan did pretty much confirm that Montoya was the original basis of the character and that they eventually changed the name as they developed her and differences emerged.

Though I agree, the "John" change was a bit strange considering we had a John Blake in the film (though his 'middle' name is never even mentioned until the very end).

Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #292
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Well I mean, there's one widely-established Hispanic female cop character in the Batman universe, so the fact that they even put one in theirs is likely influenced by Montoya. Not that having racial/gender diversity in the GCPD isn't a good enough reason in and of itself, but Nolan did pretty much confirm that Montoya was the original basis of the character and that they eventually changed the name as they developed her and differences emerged.

Though I agree, the "John" change was a bit strange considering we had a John Blake in the film (though his 'middle' name is never even mentioned until the very end).
I guess it makes sense why they would change her name in that case. Montoya is one of the most honest cops in the Batman mythos after Gordon. I don't think too many fans would have responded well to her being made corrupt. On the other hand, Daggett was a villain in both TAS and TDKR. I think keeping his name intact wouldn't have been a problem.

Also, is his middle name really not mentioned until the very end? I could've sworn I heard "John Blake" a couple of times and I saw the film multiple times by now.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #293
bilbo baggins
Side-Kick

Th Mad Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

totally off subject, but say when the new ultimate trilogy drops and say in one of these new documenteries nolan said well bruce didnt survive it was als wishful thinking. can you imagine how many people would flip out!!!! i sure know i would. i really do hope that they elaborate about the end. but they wont...oh well.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #294
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo baggins View Post
totally off subject, but say when the new ultimate trilogy drops and say in one of these new documenteries nolan said well bruce didnt survive it was als wishful thinking. can you imagine how many people would flip out!!!! i sure know i would. i really do hope that they elaborate about the end. but they wont...oh well.
lol, you've gotta let it go man. Bruce survived. He's alright, don't worry about it.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #295
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Also, is his middle name really not mentioned until the very end? I could've sworn I heard "John Blake" a couple of times and I saw the film multiple times by now.
It's all a trick of the mind because we knew his name going in via the press release.

But yeah, really, I recently watched the film specifically with that in mind and he's only ever called "Blake" throughout. He even introduces himself to Gordon in his first scene as simply "Blake". Only at the end when he gives his name to the W.E. secretary as "Blake, John" do we get that name.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #296
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Lets say positive things about the dark knight rises...
Anne Hathaway was sublime as Selina/Catwoman. I could watch her endlessly. Impeccable chemistry with Bale.

The Bane breaking Batman scene was perfection. Knightfall iconic moment brought to life on screen.

Bruce rising from the pit was a great feel good hero moment scene.

- The Joker
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #297
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Woah, Zimmer is scoring ASM-2. I know that has NOTHING to do with anything, but I thought I'd just post that here. I'm pretty shocked by that tbh.

They really are trying to make this their TDK

Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #298
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Nice way to mark The Dark Knight's 5 year anniversary, a survey with over a thousand people was done for a vote for best comic book movie of all time, and TDK came out on top:

Quote:
The Dark Knight is the Best Superhero Film Ever
Superheroes have never been cooler. Thanks to the likes of Batman showing his dark (knight) side, and Avengers Assemble being hailed as one of the funniest movies of 2012, we just can’t get enough of superheroes on our big screen.

The Dark Knight is the best superhero film ever made – Ladbrokes survey

A lot of the classic super humans have been around for a while now and have become an ingrained part of our culture. Superman has been with us for over 75 years and has become a well-known as Mickey Mouse in the process.

Here at Ladbrokes Games we were interested in finding out just what exactly you think about the most famous superheroes and what your thoughts are on the movies, so we surveyed 1,000 people – and here’s what they had to say.

Key Stats:

- Hulk came out as the most-popular choice with men in the toughest superhero category, with women opting for Batman.
- The famous Batmobile is considered by a whopping 62% of people to be the best superhero vehicle.
- Most people admitted to getting their superhero fix through the movies as 75% of people prefer the big screen over comics (12%), cartoons (7%), and video games (5%)
- Thanks to Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America, 59% of people would choose Marvel Comics over DC Comics. In fact, 41% of men would be happy to give up DC Comics in favour of Marvel.
- The Dark Knight (21%) and The Dark Knight Rises (19%) were selected by men as the best superhero films ever. Women also enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises (16%), but named Avengers Assemble (17%) as their favourite. The Dark Knight (18%) took the overall title.
- Catwoman (22%) was voted as the worst superhero film of all time.
- There seems to be indifference to the prospect of another Batman film, however, as one in four said they wouldn’t like to see another actor take the role. If pushed, though, Ryan Gosling was the top choice.
- Spider-man’s Web Shooters (38%) topped the poll for the best superhero gadget, while Batman’s Batarang (5%) was considered to be the worst.
- Men would most like to date Catwoman (30%), followed by Wonder Woman (25%) if she’s not available. Women, meanwhile, would most like to date Iron Man (20%), closely followed by Wolverine (19%) and Batman (18%).

As a little test, we thought we’d end our survey by asking people to guess which one of the following bizarrely-named superheroes was actually real. Check out the results…

Gun Bird (23% thought this a real character)
Chap of Steel (16%)
Nigel (16%)
Goose Man (15%)
Nail Gun Face (14%)
Arm Fall Off Boy (9%)
Mashed Potato in a Sock Man (7%)

So who is the real superhero?

Believe it or not, Arm Fall Off Boy is in fact a real superhero. With the ability to pull off his own arm and attack enemies with it, we’re not entirely surprised this character has yet to receive a gritty Hollywood reimagining.
http://games.ladbrokes.com/en/news/s...ro-film-survey

More breakdown info:

Quote:
Just over 24 per cent declared Hulk the toughest superhero (excluding Superman). Next came Batman (21.2 per cent) and Wolverine (15 per cent), then Thor (9.8 per cent), Spider-Man (6.6 per cent). Bottom of the list was Magneto (1.20 per cent), while Hit Girl (1.3 per cent) and Professor X (1.7 per cent) didn't fare much better.

Voting on the best superhero vehicle, an overwhelming majority of 61.6 per cent opted for the Batmobile. The X-Men's Blackbird jet was next with 12.2 per cent, followed by the Silver Surfer's surfboard, SHIELD's Helicarrier from the Avengers and then the Owlship from Watchmen.

Asked whether they would choose Marvel or DC comics, most (58.9 per cent) went for Marvel, 22.1 per cent said neither and 19 per cent chose DC.

Spider-Man's web shooters were voted best superhero gadget (38 per cent), followed by Thor's hammer Mjolnir, Batman's grappling-hook gun the Batclaw, Wonder Woman's lasso of truth, Captain America's shield and Batman's batarang.

The Dark Knight came top in a question asking people to name the best superhero film, taking 18.8 per cent of the vote. Next was The Dark Knight Rises (17.7 per cent), then The Avengers (15.8 per cent). Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man came next (10.2 per cent), narrowly beating X-Men (10 per cent). This was followed by Iron Man (9.7 per cent), Superman (8.9 per cent), Kick-Ass (3.2 per cent), Watchmen (2.4 per cent), The Incredible Hulk (1.2 per cent) and 'other' (2.1 per cent0.

Halle Berry's Catwoman won the vote for the worst superhero movie with 22 per cent, followed by Elektra (15 per cent), The Green Lantern (10.6 per cent), Hulk (10.3 per cent), Daredevil (9.1 per cent), Batman & Robin (8.3 per cent), Spider-Man 3 (7.9 per cent), The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises (each with 4.5 per cent), The Spirit (4.3 per cent), and 'other' (3.5 per cent).

Catwoman is the comic book character most fans (16.7 per cent) would like to date, followed by Wonder Woman (15.5 per cent), Iron Man (11.9 per cent), Batman (11.1 per cent), Wolverine (10.7 per cent), Superman (9.7 per cent) and Thor (7.9 per cent). There wasn't much love for the X-Men's female members, with Storm bottom of the list (3.4 per cent) and Jean Grey (4.3 per cent) just above. Black Widow wasn't much more popular either (5 per cent).

Broken down into gender, this particular vote shows men favouring Catwoman and then Wonder Woman, with Black Widow a distant third, followed by Jean Grey and (in what could be seen as an acknowedgement of the top choice for gay male voters) Superman. Female voters preferred Iron Man, then Wolverine, followed by Batman, Thor and Superman.

As for who they want to see next on the big screen, fans mad a decisive call for Wonder Woman (32.8 per cent), then The Flash (18.4 per cent) and Avengers archer Hawkeye (14.1 per cent). There was a considerable demand for the return of X-Men teleporter Nightcrawler (12.7 per cent) and then for Deadpool (10.4 per cent), more than the desire for Aquaman (8.5 per cent).

The Joker had last laugh by winning the vote for toughest supervillain with 24.8 per cent of the vote, beating Magneto (16 per cent), Bane (15.3 per cent), Lex Luthor (12.4 per cent) and Green Goblin (7.9 per cent). Next on the list was General Zod (5.8 per cent), Loki (4.9 per cent), Doctor Octopus (4.2 per cent), Two-Face (3.1 per cent) and then 'other' (2.1 per cent).

The Incredible Hulk was named most overrated superhero movie ever (17.5 per cent of the vote), followed by Kick-Ass (12.2 per cent), Watchmen (10.8 per cent), The Amazing Spider-Man (10.6 per cent), The Dark Knight Rises (10.1 per cent), Thor (8.6 per cent). X-Men: First Class (7.8 per cent), The Avengers (7.3 per cent), The Dark Knight (6.3 per cent), Iron Man (5.3 per cent) and other (3.5 per cent).

While most people (25.5 per cent) opted for 'no one' when asked who should play the next Batman, it does seem likely we will get another caped crusader on screen at some point but very unlikely that Christian Bale will return. The next top choice in this question was Ryan Gosling (15.9 per cent), who leads the actors named as possible replacements to don the Batsuit, then Michael Fassbender (13.2 per cent), Jake Gyllenhaal (13 per cent), Bradley Cooper (11.5 per cent) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (7.9 per cent). Other names that came up were Josh Brolin (4.3 per cent), Sam Worthington (3.9 per cent), Armie Hammer (3.1 per cent) and Jon Hamm (1.7 per cent).

Superhero enthusiasts love to imagine showdowns - most of which would probably never happen on the big screen - and fans said they would most like to see a fight between Batman and Iron Man (19.1 per cent)

But only just. Wolverine vs Iron Man came a very close second with 19 per cent. Others wanted to see Hulk vs Optimus Prime (17.5 per cent), Batman vs Captain America (15.5 per cent), Magneto vs Iron Man (11.9 per cent), Hulk vs Bane (11.2 per cent) or some other face-off (5.8 per cent).
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...ero-movie.html

- The Joker
Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #299
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Woah, Zimmer is scoring ASM-2. I know that has NOTHING to do with anything, but I thought I'd just post that here. I'm pretty shocked by that tbh.

They really are trying to make this their TDK
Yep. Let's hope it will be just that.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #300
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Nice way to mark The Dark Knight's 5 year anniversary, a survey with over a thousand people was done for a vote for best comic book movie of all time, and TDK came out on top:

http://games.ladbrokes.com/en/news/s...ro-film-survey

More breakdown info:

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...ero-movie.html
On top of that TDKR came in at #2, but no love for BB? Anyways, thanks for posting this.

Closed Thread