Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #651
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Anyone who thought Bale would come back was deluding himself / herself. Sorry. That's just how it is.

Hate to say I told you so. But I did.
This.

It's been blatantly obvious Batman would be rebooted after TDKR since the early TDKR production days and it's been officially announced for about 6 months now.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #652
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Ledger said he would never play a comic book character, and then was persuaded to be the Joker. I wouldn't put too much stock in Affleck's comments about being embarrassed to be in a superhero suit... I think he was just trying to distance his career from Daredevil.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #653
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
This was entirely WB's decision (Snyder even admitted it) and you can tell that both Snyder and Goyer are not happy with the decision. Heck, they only found out about it not too long before Comic Con and are currently in the process of doing the outline. No, not the script. The outline.
This worries me more than anything. Studio interference never ends well.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #654
kvz5
HBIC

I'm just relieved that the speculations are done. Bale and Nolan's trilogy remains intact and I respect that. I didn't enjoy MoS as much as the others so even if I end up not liking this new team-up movie either, I'd always have Nolan's trilogy.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #655
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Honestly he's a better choice than most of the fancastings here.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #656
kvz5
HBIC

I don't disagree. Some of the fan castings were .

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #657
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Honestly he's a better choice than most of the fancastings here.
I think Liam McIntyre, Scott Adkins, and Luke Evans would all be far better choices.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #658
bilbo baggins
Side-Kick

so affleck!! really?? so he is 40ish and he is suppose to be batman for the new superman movie, jl movies, and another trilogy. wow...........

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #659
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo baggins View Post
so affleck!! really?? so he is 40ish and he is suppose to be batman for the new superman movie, jl movies, and another trilogy. wow...........
He does look WAY younger though, younger than Bale. I think he'll be able to handle it, a la RDJ.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #660
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Affleck ?

IS this real life ?

WTF

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #661
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I was pretty shocked when I heard this news to be honest. I just didn't see Affleck taking on another superhero role at this stage in his career. I thought he'd direct a Batman movie before ever starring in one.

Make no mistake, I am not an Affleck hater and I never have been. But in terms of acting ability, he is a clear step down from Bale IMO. That said, I wish him and Snyder all the best. I never like to rule out the possibility of something being good, but it's just hard not to think of Daredevil when imagining what his Batman would be like.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #662
kvz5
HBIC

I wonder how the talks went down considering that Bale and Affleck have the same agent (Patrick Whitesell of WME).

Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #663
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Just read the news.

I want to cry.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #664
Ryan
Side-Kick

I find it odd that people use the "look at how Keaton turned out" reasoning as if everyone loved Keaton. I thought he was ok as Batman but it wasn't bowled over by him and I still think Bale did the better job thus far. I was fairly indifferent to Ledger being cast as the Joker so that example doesn't work for me either. My gut reaction is that I don't like the fact that Affleck will be playing Batman. I'm not saying I won't see the film, and I'm not anti-Affleck. I just can't say that I have the same enthusiasm for this announcement as I did with Bale's casting.
Some actors just seem like good choices. Oldman as Gordon, Caine as Alfred, most of the MoS casting was spot on and those actors probably made the movie for me. But Affleck as Batman, and even the whole idea of the Batman/Superman mashup (is it even a mos movie anymore?) doesn't really have me at the edge of my seat. Although as the Penguin said "Things change".

Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #665
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I'd be surprised if ANYONE is as excited for Affleck as they were Bale. Bale was the fan favourite following a flop and given 6 years breathing space.

Affleck is fighting a massive uphill battle.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #666
theShape
Creature of Darkness

How can anyone tell that Snyder and Goyer are unhappy that they're making Superman/Batman? If I was Snyder, I'd be ecstatic. It's one thing to be able to reboot Superman. That's an awesome thing to out on your résumé. However, this Superman/Batman project is historic. They should be shedding a lot of blood, sweat, and years to make this film amazing. I think it will be.

michael1975 on Superman/Batman movie -

"I no longer care. I am so utterly disappointed it's not even funny. When movie comes out and his horrible I'm going to come back here and laugh and say "I told you so"."
Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #667
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I was pretty shocked when I heard this news to be honest. I just didn't see Affleck taking on another superhero role at this stage in his career. I thought he'd direct a Batman movie before ever starring in one.

Make no mistake, I am not an Affleck hater and I never have been. But in terms of acting ability, he is a clear step down from Bale IMO. That said, I wish him and Snyder all the best. I never like to rule out the possibility of something being good, but it's just hard not to think of Daredevil when imagining what his Batman would be like.
As I said before, the fact that Affleck even came on board this project at all is telling. The dude's coming off a Best Picture Osxar win for directing Argo. He is now a Hollywood heavyweight with serious clout. He could do anything he wants...and yet he just signed on to play Batman. Snyder's pitch must have really sold him on the project, and if Affleck is confident that he can handle this massive undertaking, then I'm confident in him as well.

Signing on to play such an iconic role is no easy feat. He now has an opportunity to really show us what he can do with this role, and I think he'll wind up being really impressive.

Also, Dardevil was 10 years ago. The script was ****, and that role wasnt half as meaty as the role of Bruce/Batman will be. Affleck has learned a lot about filmmaking in the past 10 years. He's made some great films and also acted in some solid performances. He's come a long way. IMO, Daredevil shouldn't even be mentioned in conjunction with this announcement.

"I no longer care. I am so utterly disappointed it's not even funny. When movie comes out and his horrible I'm going to come back here and laugh and say "I told you so"."
Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #668
kvz5
HBIC

It's still pretty crazy to me how we already have a new Batman when TDKR just came out a little over a year ago.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #669
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
It's still pretty crazy to me how we already have a new Batman when TDKR just came out a little over a year ago.
I feel you on that, but it's important to remember that the film itself is still another 2 years away. That's like dog years for us hardcore fans.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #670
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I feel you on that, but it's important to remember that the film itself is still another 2 years away. That's like dog years for us hardcore fans.
True although when you think about it, that would still just be a 3 year gap between TDKR and this new one which is even a year less than TDK and TDKR. I completely understand why but it's just crazy how fast things are happening.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #671
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
How can anyone tell that Snyder and Goyer are unhappy that they're making Superman/Batman? If I was Snyder, I'd be ecstatic. It's one thing to be able to reboot Superman. That's an awesome thing to out on your résumé. However, this Superman/Batman project is historic. They should be shedding a lot of blood, sweat, and years to make this film amazing. I think it will be.
Snyder himself admitted it. He was asked in an interview if he thinks the project is too rushed and his response was something among the lines of "Yeah, I wanted to do MOS 2 first, but I will have to do what WB thinks is the best decision."

Goyer and Snyder were even under the impression that they would present MOS 2 at Comic Con instead of Superman/Batman. The decision was made shortly before Comic Con. This was entirely WB's decision and although Snyder/Goyer may or may not exactly hate it, they both thought MOS 2 was the best direction to take the new universe in and they didn't get a chance to do that.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #672
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Snyder himself admitted it. He was asked in an interview if he thinks the project is too rushed and his response was something among the lines of "Yeah, I wanted to do MOS 2 first, but I will have to do what WB thinks is the best decision."

Goyer and Snyder were even under the impression that they would present MOS 2 at Comic Con instead of Superman/Batman. The decision was made shortly before Comic Con. This was entirely WB's decision and although Snyder/Goyer may or may not exactly hate it, they both thought MOS 2 was the best direction to take the new universe in and they didn't get a chance to do that.
I didn't think this was the best idea either but it could lay the ground work for a Justice League film and a World's Finest where they work together.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #673
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Agreed. Exactly how I feel.

The thing that bugs me the most about Affleck being cast, other than him being a "meh" choice IMO, is the direction in which they're taking this new Batman. Prior to him being cast, there were reports of WB looking for a Batman in his 40's who has many years of experience already that would have somewhat of a mentor influence on Superman. There were also reports of this Batman being based off the one in The Dark Knight Returns in the sense of him being older and many years into his game. Casting Affleck for the role pretty much confirms this.

Personally, I don't think that is a good idea and it is a dynamic I have no interest in. What I always loved about the Batman/Superman dynamic was their brotherly relationship. These are two men who you would never expect to get along or to care for each other due to being the complete polar opposite of each other and yet despite their differences, they are very close to each other. Both of them even said at one point "Clark/Bruce was the brother I never had". They walked on very different yet very similar paths at the same time that led them to who they are today. They both began their careers as superheroes at around the same time and grew together as their careers progressed. All of that is stripped away when you introduce a Batman in his 40's who's been doing this for a lot of years. We are not talking of like 2 or 3 years of experience prior to Superman's debut (which is no big deal). We are talking about an entire decade of experience over Superman or more. Sure that not everything has to be like the comics, but the classic Batman/Superman dynamic is easily one of the greatest dynamics in all of comics, if not one of the greatest dynamics in general. An adaptation should only deviate from the source material if the source material has major flaws that the adaptation wants to improve on or if the adaptation has a better idea and I don't think that applies to the Superman/Batman dynamic that we know.

In a way, I feel this will make both Superman and Batman look bad. Superman will almost feel more like a Robin (younger, a lot less experienced, makes more mistakes than Batman, etc.) and will not carry the same presence he is supposed to carry of being the force of hope that is equal to the force of fear. Batman will look bad by the time Justice League comes out if the whole team is closer to Superman's age while Batman is much older but is still considered to be on par with Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the rest. I hate the idea that Batman needs around an entire decade of experience as a superhero over the rest of the team in order to be seen as an equal towards all the other members. Maybe this isn't the best analogy, but it makes Batman feel like the guy in his early-mid 20's who is still stuck in Grade 12 with other 17 year olds. If they make this Batman "on par" with the young versions of the Justice League, what will that say about the young version of Batman in this universe?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #674
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:

As per the norm, you seem to be able to read my mind when it comes to Batman-related things.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #675
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Anyone who thought Bale would come back was deluding himself / herself. Sorry. That's just how it is.

Hate to say I told you so. But I did.
Totally.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved Bale in the role. Best Batman/Bruce Wayne as of yet for me. But his time in the role ended with the TDK Trilogy. And that's the way it should be.

I was always looking forward to seeing who would be cast next and what they would do with the character and even though I'm underwhelmed by Affleck's casting, I'll still be anticipating the movie and be hoping it does well.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html

Last edited by BatmanBeyond; 08-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Closed Thread