The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #126
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Yeah, I think Blake being given the mantle was the primary way he closed off his universe, despite what all the "OMG there's gonna be a Robin sequel!" GA people might've thought.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #127
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Probably because he knows nobody would be insane enough to try and sell a Batman movie where some guy called Robin Blake is Batman.

What about Alfred? Can't have Batman without Alfred.
True, but remember after TDKR came out; all those lousy rumors about a Blake-Batman sequel, or even Blake being Batman in the Justice League film? Oh God, that ending opened up an ugly can of worms.

Even a buddy of mine at work thinks they should continue on with Blake as the new Batman.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #128
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Welp, if JGL ends up getting cast as Doctor Strange I think we can then officially put all of that nonsense to rest.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #129
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
What would you say "the" theme is then? By definition, a theme in fiction must be a broad concept that comments on some aspect of life. Therefore, "Bruce must be Batman forever" does not qualify as a theme. Obviously his character arc is something separate, but it should ultimately be an expression of that theme. Also, if it's the most prevalent and recurring theme- chances are, it's the main theme. The major theme is also usually summed up by a line of dialogue. In TDK's case, the obvious pick would be:

(Heh, and indeed Phantasm).

I've been reading a several books about screenwriting lately as research for my own writing, so my apologies if I'm coming off like some wannabe screenwriting professor, but all the stuff I've been learning is very fresh in my head right now.
I see the main themes of the film being madness and escalation. The madness theme is there for obvious reasons - Joker, the Batman/Joker dynamic, the fact that more insane costumed "freaks" like the Joker are popping up due to Batman, etc. The theme is mainly present there in the Batman/Joker dynamic, which influences Batman a lot as the story progresses. The escalation theme specifically is the theme I would say connects to Bruce in the film the most. You said that the character arc should be an ultimate expression of that time. When it comes to escalation, I believe that can be applied there. Batman learns that things are escalating in Gotham and that it won't be so easy for him to quit after all due to this. This plays into his realization that he can't quit being Batman anytime soon and that Batman is who he is meant to be because only he can do the job.

Also, I never stated that this is by far the only theme. There are a number of various themes on the side, some almost as big as the themes of madness and escalation. That's the great thing about TDK. It is perhaps one of the most overanalyzed films in the past 10 years, if not the most overanalyzed film in the past 10 years. You can write so much material on it. The theme of the line you are quoting is present in there as well. Batman does become the villain at the end in the eyes of the people of Gotham, but that is part of his realization that Batman must do whatever it takes to keep going and to endure because as Gordon said, "He can take it". If he has to continue fighting Gotham's crime and corruption without the support of the people of Gotham on his side...heck, with the people of Gotham against him trying to hunt him down, then so be it.

Also, how dare do you try to use one of my people's posts against me?

Quote:
Ha, right after we were patting ourselves on the back for being civil, now things start heating up. In times like these, we must remember to

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Duh
Fun fact: This poster was in MoS.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 07-16-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #130
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Probably because he knows nobody would be insane enough to try and sell a Batman movie where some guy called Robin Blake is Batman.
Tell that to WB. There is some decent amount of evidence out there alluding to WB wanting to not only bring Blake back for more Batman films but to have him in the Justice League films instead of Bruce.

The idea of seeing that on the big screen gives me chills. The scariest part is that according to the multiverse theory, that had to happen in at least one universe.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #131
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
I would love to try and make a Robin Blake Batman movie. His love interest would be his female cop partner, Becky. She helps him throughout the movie, and even finds out his secret identity. Then, at the end of the movie, she goes to pick up a a package, and the women handing it to her goes, "...oh, I like that name, you should use it more, Batgirl". Boom: sets it up perfectly for the sequel!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #132
ThePhantasm
Skywalker

*poster asserts phantasm made a ridiculous contradiction*

*phantasm explains that his post was clearly misread and no contradiction exists there*

*phantasm asks for someone to point out the contradiction*

*phantasm's accuser(s) mysteriously scurry away*

Ahhhh, I love the batboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The idea of seeing that on the big screen gives me chills. The scariest part is that according to the multiverse theory, that had to happen in at least one universe.
Dear people in bizarro universe - I'm sorry you've had to endure that. Then again, probably serves you right for wearing all your clothes backwards.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
H.E.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #133
ThePhantasm
Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I would love to try and make a Robin Blake Batman movie. His love interest would be his female cop partner, Becky. She helps him throughout the movie, and even finds out his secret identity. Then, at the end of the movie, she goes to pick up a a package, and the women handing it to her goes, "...oh, I like that name, you should use it more, Batgirl". Boom: sets it up perfectly for the sequel!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
H.E.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #134
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Tell that to WB. There is some decent amount of evidence out there alluding to WB wanting to not only bring Blake back for more Batman films but to have him in the Justice League films instead of Bruce.
I'll believe that when they actually do it. I can't believe WB would seriously sink millions into a Robin Blake Batman. They could not possibly be that stupid.

Quote:
The idea of seeing that on the big screen gives me chills.
Not the good kind either I'll bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

- The Joker
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #135
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
True, but remember after TDKR came out; all those lousy rumors about a Blake-Batman sequel, or even Blake being Batman in the Justice League film? Oh God, that ending opened up an ugly can of worms.

Even a buddy of mine at work thinks they should continue on with Blake as the new Batman.
Im not gonna lie. I know they wont, but I would be pretty stoked to see a Blake/Batman or Blake/Nightwing movie. It doesn't have to be some franchise, but 1 film. I don't really care if people find that to be a joke, but JGL is a great actor, I liked the Blake character quite a bit and love to imagine what happens in that world now that there's a successor in place. Which villains would be used, so on.

Justice League? No. They'll reboot Bruce Wayne and that's what we'll get.

But maybe the people at DC should start thinking about some graphic novels to continue the Nolan-verse. That way you can do things like bring Joker back or show Bruce training Blake.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #136
shauner111
Side-Kick

I have yet to physically meet a single soul who didn't like Blake's arc in Rises or want to see a film of him becoming Nightwing or Batman. Despite what is said on here or the internet as a whole in various messageboards.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #137
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I have yet to physically meet a single soul who didn't like Blake's arc in Rises or want to see a film of him becoming Nightwing or Batman.
I've met plenty. No I'm not just saying that.

- The Joker
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #138
ThePhantasm
Skywalker

Quote:
I have yet to physically meet a single soul who didn't like Blake's arc in Rises or want to see a film of him becoming Nightwing or Batman. Despite what is said on here or the internet as a whole in various messageboards.
Darn, all of shauner's friends disagree with me. Whatever will I do.

H.E.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #139
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Dear people in bizarro universe - I'm sorry you've had to endure that. Then again, probably serves you right for wearing all your clothes backwards.

Quote:
I'll believe that when they actually do it. I can't believe WB would seriously sink millions into a Robin Blake Batman. They could not possibly be that stupid.
I can't fully believe it either but at the same time, I don't discredit the possibility. Never underestimate human stupidity. It has no limits.

Quote:
Not the good kind either I'll bet.
Nope. Not at all.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #140
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
And your point is....?

That is actually the beauty of the internet. Instead of being confined to just information in your own area, you are able to communicate with various different kinds of people all over the world and get a better understanding of what the world generally thinks about certain things. The internet gave people the opportunity to no longer be confined to a bubble.

Also, I've met people who did not like Blake or TDKR. But then again, I live in Toronto which is generally considered to be messed up by you guys.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #141
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ How IS Toronto?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #142
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I'd rather they reboot batman than have robin Blake. I'm only interested if Brue is batman.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #143
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
^ How IS Toronto?
It's a nice city. It is very much like Chicago except that it's cleaner, has lower crime rates, and has more of a blue undertone at night as opposed to brown.

If you think about it, that sounds very much like Gotham in TDK. One of my biggest complaints with TDK's Gotham visually was how much it gave me a Toronto vibe. They took Chicago from BB, cleaned it up, and gave it more of a "blue" look. I saw TDK near a theatre downtown, which I think is part of the reason why I got that vibe.

Here in Toronto, we are notoriously known for having a hockey team that always crushes our hopes due to almost always losing. Since Gotham in TDK gave me such vibe, I sometimes like to joke with my friends that maybe Batman should also take the blame for the Maples Leafs always losing so that the city doesn't lose hope. I wouldn't even blame poor Bats if carrying such burden made him not do anything for 8 years.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #144
shauner111
Side-Kick

From what ive seen on the internet, it's pretty split between people who want to see Blake in his own movie and people who don't care if it happens or not. But most people don't want to see him in Justice League. That's pretty clear.

I actually think ive read more pro "Blake for Nightwing or Batman" responses than negatives, the more I think of it. But it seems to lean more towards Nightwing.

Hehe, Shikamaru, good ol' Toronto! Or should I say "Chuh-ron-a!"

Last edited by shauner111; 07-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #145
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
From what ive seen on the internet, it's pretty split between people who want to see Blake in his own movie and people who don't care if it happens or not. But most people don't want to see him in Justice League. That's pretty clear.

I actually think ive read more pro "Blake for Nightwing or Batman" responses than negatives. I don't mean JL but just solo spin-offs to continue the Nolanverse. But it seems to lean more towards Nightwing.
Surprisingly a lot of people really took a liking to the character. Even far as saying he was their favorite character in TDKR. Whatever floats your boat, but when you put him up against these other masked and psychologically damaged characters like Bruce, Selina and Bane; it definitely is a head scratcher.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #146
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Surprisingly a lot of people really took a liking to the character. Even far as saying he was their favorite character in TDKR. Whatever floats your boat, but when you put him up against these other masked and psychologically damaged characters like Bruce, Selina and Bane; it definitely is a head scratcher.
More than Bruce, Selina or Bane? Yeah I don't understand that either. But it's true how millions seemed to really dig the character. I went to TDKR in theaters about 4 times and each time there were loads of people discussing on the escalators about Blake being Nightwing or Batman in the next movie. It really pumped people up. Ive heard these stories dozens of times while reading the internet in the last year.

Recently a friend of mine saw Rises for the first time. And he thought the movie was glorious and was talking about how WB should do a Nightwing movie with him.

It seems like people understand that the end means Robin becomes the successor. But it's split between Batman or Blake becoming his own character while using the symbol on his chest, etc. Either way JGL won the vast majority over.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #147
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I don't find Blake that interesting to have his own film.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #148
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
It's a nice city. It is very much like Chicago except that it's cleaner, has lower crime rates, and has more of a blue undertone at night as opposed to brown.

If you think about it, that sounds very much like Gotham in TDK. One of my biggest complaints with TDK's Gotham visually was how much it gave me a Toronto vibe. They took Chicago from BB, cleaned it up, and gave it more of a "blue" look. I saw TDK near a theatre downtown, which I think is part of the reason why I got that vibe.

Here in Toronto, we are notoriously known for having a hockey team that always crushes our hopes due to almost always losing. Since Gotham in TDK gave me such vibe, I sometimes like to joke with my friends that maybe Batman should also take the blame for the Maples Leafs always losing so that the city doesn't lose hope. I wouldn't even blame poor Bats if carrying such burden made him not do anything for 8 years.

Hahahha....I gotta visit Toronto someday...maybe even move there if the crime aint too bad...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #149
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'm actually visiting Toronto next month. It'll be my first time, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #150
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Hahahha....I gotta visit Toronto someday...maybe even move there if the crime aint too bad...
Quote:
I'm actually visiting Toronto next month. It'll be my first time, I'm very much looking forward to it.
I welcome you both. Stay away from anything hockey related and you will have a good time.

Closed Thread