Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #751
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Because it hasn't been plainly obvious since the first film that Logan had flashbacks to his past?

He left town with Yukio because the cops were heading for the bar where he'd fought with the hunters. It didn't imply that he remembered exactly who Yashida was and where he knew him from just upon meeting Yukio. The full flashback that started the film was more for our benefit to set up the story.

He didn't seem to connect all of until he found the well.
Homework. You want your audience to do homework?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #752
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

Haha!...wait! Those two women, did Jen and Squeek get jobs on the movie and didn't tell us?
Dammit, I thought we'd disguised ourselves well enough!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #753
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

In Jean's first appearance, she does mention Nagasaki.

Which was a dream within a dream!

I N C E P T I O N

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #754
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

I N C E P T I O N
Of course, another superhero movie had to rip off Nolan's greatness.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #755
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
Because it hasn't been plainly obvious since the first film that Logan had flashbacks to his past?

He left town with Yukio because the cops were heading for the bar where he'd fought with the hunters. It didn't imply that he remembered exactly who Yashida was and where he knew him from just upon meeting Yukio. The full flashback that started the film was more for our benefit to set up the story.

He didn't seem to connect all of until he found the well.

Exactly right danoyse. That was the way I saw it as well.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #756
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

I N C E P T I O N
Queue the Inception soundtrack....BWHAMMM!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #757
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
queue the inception soundtrack....bwhammm!!!
lol and I have that as my ringer on my phone...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #758
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

This was just retweeted by Mangold:

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #759
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

In regards to Wolverine's flashbacks. I thought it was blatantly obvious in context of this film alone that he was reliving them by bits and pieces. The film opens up with a partial WW2 flashback and when he wakes up (or thinks he does) Jean asks him "where were you now?". It seemed like an obvious clue that his memory comes back in fragments.

Plus he relives the rest of it when he discovers where the well was in modern day Nagasaki. It's clear enough there also. If they pointed it out anymore they would be beating the audience over the head with what is a relatively minor point in the movie.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #760
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

The IMDB goof section is really bothering me, they list two goofs in the film when they are simply mistakes of their own.

Quote:
When Logan x-rays himself at the Yashida home, a crew member is clearly visible behind Yukio as she is talking, moving across the screen behind her.
Hmmm, no. It's Shingen walking up to fight Yukio/Logan.

Quote:
After Mariko chastises Logan for sticking his chopsticks upright in his dinner, she removes them and puts them down next to his bowl. A couple shots later, the chopsticks are again sticking up from his food in the bowl.
Easy mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Mariko first takes the chopsticks and places them down, during the 1-2 minute monologue there is even a wide shot of them talking and the sticks are still on the table. After that shot, we see Logan fiddling with the sticks off screen while Mariko is talking and it cuts to another wide shot and they are up again. Mariko proceeds to remind him that he wouldn't understand the Japanese tradition because he isn't Japanese.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #761
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I saw that too. I'm pretty sure that was Shingen skulking. We were shown him stumbling about just before that.

Second one is alos IMDB's mistake. The scene was seemed pretty obvious that was meant to be upright again showing Wolverine did that off screen. It's a visual gag about his ignorance.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #762
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I saw that too. I'm pretty sure that was Shingen skulking. We were shown him stumbling about just before that.

Second one is alos IMDB's mistake. The scene was seemed pretty obvious that was meant to be upright again showing Wolverine did that off screen. It's a visual gag about his ignorance.
Yep, that was definitely Shingen. And Logan was eating with the chopsticks when they were talking, and probably left them up by accident again.

I'm sure IMBD still has it listed in their trivia section for Australia that Nicole Kidman saved Hugh Jackman from a poisonous scorpion while they were filming. Which never happened.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #763
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

lol. At least mistakes like that may lead to interesting/funny moments in future interviews when hosts asks questions their researchers haven't done the proper work on and just Google'd wiki and IMDB. I've seen Graham Norton on the occasional show ask "are any of these true?" when faced with a serious of "no, that never happened" from guests.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #764
Project862006
Banned User

anyone else think wolverine was with x force for those 2 years

Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #765
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I hope not to be honest. I'd prefer X-force to be Cable led and for Wolverine to remain with the x-men. I'd rather let X-force be something else without him.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #766
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Hah no. But he will be after DOFP

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #767
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

going back to X3, i think it would have been wise to have kept this deleted scene in the final version since it is more consistent with how The Wolverine began

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #768
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Hah I thought that was in the movie. Totally forgot it was an alternate ending

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #769
Project862006
Banned User

more i reflect on this film the more i love it

what i really liked is that it was'nt so much a comic book movie as it was a character driven story about a man of immortality struggling with his inner demons and how his past has caught up to him emotionally and how he really wants to end his suffering and end his immortality which is a very powerful story

i prefer my cbm's like this where they adapt it with a very human story that happens to have a super hero in it than just adapting it as a comic book movie

movie was very personal and intimate and was'nt just action,action,action

Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #770
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
more i reflect on this film the more i love it

what i really liked is that it was'nt so much a comic book movie as it was a character driven story about a man of immortality struggling with his inner demons and how his past has caught up to him emotionally and how he really wants to end his suffering and end his immortality which is a very powerful story

i prefer my cbm's like this where they adapt it with a very human story that happens to have a super hero in it than just adapting it as a comic book movie

movie was very personal and intimate and was'nt just action,action,action
I saw of see it as a watershed for comic book movies, sort of like hoe you can have vastly different takes and styles of comic books we are now starting to get with movies too.

They don't all have to be about saving the world, explosions, buildings destroyed every ten seconds. Theres nothing wrong with that too, in the right story, but its nice to have the diversity. It would be boring if they were all the same one way or another.

The only problem comes of course if they don't do so well at the box office and make the money of the big EXPLOSION films that appeal to the mass GA.

It is a risky move trying something different but I'm glad someone at least had the stones to at least try it.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #771
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post
The IMDB goof section is really bothering me, they list two goofs in the film when they are simply mistakes of their own.

Hmmm, no. It's Shingen walking up to fight Yukio/Logan.

Easy mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Mariko first takes the chopsticks and places them down, during the 1-2 minute monologue there is even a wide shot of them talking and the sticks are still on the table. After that shot, we see Logan fiddling with the sticks off screen while Mariko is talking and it cuts to another wide shot and they are up again. Mariko proceeds to remind him that he wouldn't understand the Japanese tradition because he isn't Japanese.
Just remember, IMDb is a lot like wikipedia, it's users that can add and edit things in places like the goof and trivia section.

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #772
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I saw of see it as a watershed for comic book movies, sort of like hoe you can have vastly different takes and styles of comic books we are now starting to get with movies too.

They don't all have to be about saving the world, explosions, buildings destroyed every ten seconds. Theres nothing wrong with that too, in the right story, but its nice to have the diversity. It would be boring if they were all the same one way or another.

The only problem comes of course if they don't do so well at the box office and make the money of the big EXPLOSION films that appeal to the mass GA.

It is a risky move trying something different but I'm glad someone at least had the stones to at least try it.
i agree but i feel the way wolverine was told could also be applied to something like daredevil and even batman ,smaller scale and more intimate

wont work for all heroes tho

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #773
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

The difference between Wolverine the character and all those heroes you mentioned, they all have a clear objective-fighting crime.

Wolverine doesn't really have that. Of course he'll do all those things too, but it's not his main objective.Personally i think that's one of the things that makes him unique.

Because of that, doing smaller, more intimate story with Logan comes easier and fits more naturally with the character.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #774
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Which reminds me. I wonder if Mariko kept Wolverine's claws as a keepsake/makeshift daggers? Imagine her explaining that memento in a future movie. lol
They'd make a lovely collectible to display on her desk at work.

Quote:
Dammit, I thought we'd disguised ourselves well enough!!
Not to my eagle eye!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #775
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i agree but i feel the way wolverine was told could also be applied to something like daredevil and even batman ,smaller scale and more intimate

wont work for all heroes tho
Yeah some do lend themselves more easily to this type of film but damn I would have liked to have seen ironman do something a bit different for the third one instead of just repeat the first two and be as bland as it was (was never going to happen after the success of the first two and Avengers the GA just wanted more of the same so thats what we got)

But The Wolverine does give me hope for other characters when directors/studios are willing to take a risk or two.