The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
yup..at one point he said something like 450 ww total..he went up as tracking reports came in and the buzz built.
nothing wrong with changing your mind, but c'mon.
obvious troll is obvious.
A couple days ago his prediction went up to $620-$640 million WW, that evening the total was $620 million WW. He will probably revise his prediction and claim to have known it would get $_____ WW all along. He also said the studio may be disappointed that it didn't get $800 million, although before the movie was released he was hoping for a $600 million total and wondered if $550 million would be enough.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
yup..at one point he said something like 450 ww total..he went up as tracking reports came in and the buzz built.
He's not the only one. A number of regular posters appeared (and have now mysteriously disappeared) when the movie hit the screens and immediately began predicting its demise (ie. the quote that's my current signature).
Every time the movie blew past their ceiling number, they would come and revise the number and pretend they were making box office predictions for the very first time.
The funny thing is that these people always begin by saying, "I loved Man of Steel but.."
So they really did not like the movie and wanted it to fail but for some reason think if they begin their posts by claiming they "liked" or "loved" it then readers will think their predictions are more objective.
At least be honest about not liking the movie if you were wishing for it to fail, and move on!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
He's not the only one. A number of regular posters appeared (and have now mysteriously disappeared) when the movie hit the screens and immediately began predicting its demise (ie. the quote that's my current signature).
Every time the movie blew past their ceiling number, they would come and revise the number and pretend they were making box office predictions for the very first time.
The funny thing is that these people always begin by saying, "I loved Man of Steel but.."
So they really did not like the movie and wanted it to fail but for some reason think if they begin their posts by claiming they "liked" or "loved" it then readers will think their predictions are more objective.
At least be honest about not liking the movie if you were wishing for it to fail, and move on!
Your sig makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Kevin Smith?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I think I've see him change his mind literally week after week, depending on the projected numbers or estimates the box office seemed to be tilting in. I think his original projection was like, $250 domestic and $300 overseas. Some he said it wouldn't even crack $500 WW (something like, $450 WW, can't remember.)

Regardless, he'll show up with a new tune once the BO painlessly slow-crawls to the finish line and with each dragging day without an announcement, expect the doom and gloom on how WB missed the boat, what could have been with MOS and to expect a complete overhaul of creative changes because real Superman fans don't deserve to settle

Regardless, his numbers change, but remain consistent with the newest projected numbers that the BO seem to be heading in in the meantime which of course, is "underperforming."

For me, I haven't changed my prediction not ONCE regardless since trailer #3. Though my $900 in my sig was admittingly far-fetched due to hype to begin with, I initially had a number of $135 OW; $700 WW, so MOS is performing EXACTLY the way I intended to see it, which is AWESOME. Major success

Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post

Haha, yeah those ones make me laugh.

"I loved Man of Steel, but I have to admit that it was very poorly written; I cringed at all of the cringeworthy dialogue. The direction was also very poor; I had so much trouble following what was going on. Additionally, the special effects were bad; it's so obvious that 75 percent of the movie is CGI. And none of the performances were good; Henry Cavill doesn't have the dynamic presence of Brandon Routh. All in all, it's fairly terrible movie and it comes as no shock to me that the movie has had nothing but bad reviews and awful word of mouth. WB would be wise to scrap plans for a sequel and instead give Bryan Singer the greenlight to make Superman Returns 2. All that being said, I loved Man of Steel."

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
GreenKToo
In the fire

I at first thought around 600 mill, then went up to around 700.
At one point right before release I even thought 750 was possible.
I lowered my estimate to around 635/650 weeks ago tho and right or wrong i'm sticking to it.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
Migu-EL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
For all the 'negativity and personal attacks Tobias is getting' his prediction of 285M is still closer than 90% of the prediction here. Even if MOS reaches 300M, it's still within 5% accuracy.

I get it that he's negative about MOS, but everyone' entitled to their own opinions. And there's no need to put down his predctions.. he's been pretty consistent on that one at least and quite accurate i may add...

My own prediction of 1 B is way off...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
Tobias isn't correct or accurate. He constantly modifies his prediction based on how the BO is doing. Plus he acts like he knows what WB is thinking and what they expected out of this movie. He has downplayed this movie from day one and is determined to make it seem like MOS is a failure. If he was so accurate people would not be aggravated with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
His prediction wasnt $285. His prediction was much lower. He said $285 was the max it would make after it had already crossed $275. It was just trolling.
His prediction at the end of May for the film's Domestic BO was 250 and I believe he predicted an OS of 300. So I would say that his prediction was way off. He raised it to 285 after the film passed his original prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Wasn't Tobias the guy who wanted the heirs to get back the rights to Superman, so that there would be no more Superman films and he didn't want the character in a Justice League film?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Also I think he said everything that can be done with Superman has been done with the Donner films and SR, and that MOS was unnecessary.
Yeah, some other poster called him out and dug up past posts that have him saying that DC should move on from Superman because it is a dead franchise.. But remember, he writes Superman fan fics and has his pic as his avatar, so he has to be a fan.. lol

Quote:
It's pretty funny. His posts are pretty entertaining when you get to see him modify his prediction time after time.. lol

Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post

Regardless, he'll show up with a new tune once the BO painlessly slow-crawls to the finish line and with each dragging day without an announcement, expect the doom and gloom on how WB missed the boat, what could have been with MOS and to expect a complete overhaul of creative changes because real Superman fans don't deserve to settle

Regardless, his numbers change, but remain consistent with the newest projected numbers that the BO seem to be heading in in the meantime which of course, is "underperforming."
So will others.

This is what I basically predicted a few pages back. Some people will say the movie is a disappointment because if it was truly good it would have made more, even though it exceeded their expectations. How do you debate with "if the movie was truly well received it would have gotten $1 billion"? It's tedious. Besides, this logic could be used for so many movies. I've seen people on these boards say "if IM3 was a better movie it would have made more money." Seriously, there is no point of even thinking about that because $1.2 billion is more than enough.

Last edited by Ms. Marvel; 07-17-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
Kindoalkun

The vultures who are inexplicably filled with sadistic glee at the thought of this film doing bad in any way, shape, manner or form are just losers.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Haha, yeah those ones make me laugh.

"I loved Man of Steel, but I have to admit that it was very poorly written; I cringed at all of the cringeworthy dialogue. The direction was also very poor; I had so much trouble following what was going on. Additionally, the special effects were bad; it's so obvious that 75 percent of the movie is CGI. And none of the performances were good; Henry Cavill doesn't have the dynamic presence of Brandon Routh. All in all, it's fairly terrible movie and it comes as no shock to me that the movie has had nothing but bad reviews and awful word of mouth. WB would be wise to scrap plans for a sequel and instead give Bryan Singer the greenlight to make Superman Returns 2. All that being said, I loved Man of Steel."
This post sums up for the most part why you are one of my favorite users on this site.
The thick, unapologetic sarcasm and dry-humor.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
GreenKToo
In the fire

no way this film was ever gonna make a billion. If folks were using that as a measure of success, then they should have bowed out early. For those that didnt have red and blue glasses on, its doing just about what expected.
That said, I kinda doubt even Mos 2 will get a billion, but never say never. It will depend on the writing, villain, and who is cast as the villain. ( need a huge name for Lex, like Day-lewis or decaprio big )
IMHO, a WF film would be your billion dollar ticket but I seriously doubt thats gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 07-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Your sig makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Kevin Smith?
Yep.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #38
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

MOS will make way over a billion...

pesos.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
This post sums up for the most part why you are one of my favorite users on this site.
The thick, unapologetic sarcasm and dry-humor.
Thanks, man!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #40
STARMAN
Side-Kick

MOS had a wild ride at the box office the first 3 weeks. That's why it was hard to project. This whole summer has been crazy. Plenty of bombs.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #41
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Lone Ranger is the only major bomb. Disney will lose 150 m on that movie alone.

Pacific Rim and After Earth will come closer to breaking even due to big oversea totals.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #42
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Surprised After Earth isn't considered a bomb. WHD seems like a bomb too. Pacific Rim doesn't sound like it will generate enough box office to launch a franchise. And yes, we all agree about Lone Ranger.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #43
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Latest BOM has MoS at $619m WW

Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Read on box office forum that Tuesday's estimate for MOS was 715,000. If accurate, that's a nice jump.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

So if it gets $20 mill from Brazil, $20 mill from Japan and $10 mill domestically in the next couple of months, the total BO would be $670 mill. I predict $685 million for now but I hope it gets to $700 million because it looks better.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #46
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Read on box office forum that Tuesday's estimate for MOS was 715,000. If accurate, that's a nice jump.
Yeah, that would be great!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #47
JKKS085
Side-Kick

I didn't liked MoS very much and predicted 310M domestically and 350M internationaly for WW cume of 360 M back in Sept 05 2012.

I still don't understand why people can't disconnect their personnal views on a movie when they are making box office predictions. That seems rather silly.
No matter how lackluster I think the movie is saying that it's not a financial success is just madness.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Good jump for the movie today.

Spill

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #49
robot
Side-Kick

MOS is one of very few movies I watched multiple times. It was really enjoyable, despite it's flaws.

It's sad that it's legs are the weakest among all the summer blockbusters... (except for Lone Ranger, possibly).

Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Force View Post
Yeah, that would be great!
Hopefully it will make a high $500,000 to low $600,000 for Wednesday. That'll give it 1.9 million or so Mon- Weds. Putting it at around $283 million. $285 M by Sunday or Monday is looking good.

Closed Thread