The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
roach
I am the night

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - Part 13

did this movie fail yet?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
MOS is one of very few movies I watched multiple times. It was really enjoyable, despite it's flaws.

It's sad that it's legs are the weakest among all the summer blockbusters... (except for Lone Ranger, possibly).
True. Btw, I am about to leave to watch it one more time.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #53
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
did this movie fail yet?
Not yet. But who knows?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #54
chicagodave
Side-Kick

This movie is not a fail but the BO numbers could have been soo much better if the script was a bit tighter. I really hope it gets to 300 mill domestically just so the wb wont hesitate on a sequel. I just really hope they dont let goyer write the next one.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #55
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Whether it gets to $300M domestically or not doesn't effect any future movie. The numbers are what they are. It just looks nicer if it does.

Spill

Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #56
Knightstalker
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodave View Post
This movie is not a fail but the BO numbers could have been soo much better if the script was a bit tighter. I really hope it gets to 300 mill domestically just so the wb wont hesitate on a sequel. I just really hope they dont let goyer write the next one.

I'm assuming he was joking. To suggest this movie is a failure is just being delusional.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #57
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry but that won't happen. Goyer + Syder are the one who made Superman relevant again to Fans and GA. Goyer will be writing MOS 2 with perhaps someone like Johnathan Nolan helping with the script to ensure it's the best they can make it.

As for 300 Mil, MOs will reach this after it's run is over.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #58
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Whether it gets to $300M domestically or not doesn't effect any future movie. The numbers are what they are. It just looks nicer if it does.
Agreed.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #59
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
$290 million = no sequel but $300 million = sequel?

Sorry for sounding snarky but I doubt the sequel is dependent on a $10 million difference.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
Gur-Ak
Newbie First Class

Latest box office:

Budget: $225,000,000

Domestic: $282,193,653 as of Jul. 16, 2013 (45.5%)
+ Foreign: $338,200,000 as of Jul. 14, 2013 (54.5%)

= Worldwide: $620,393,653

In Release: 33 days / 4.7 weeks

So;

Tuesday: $712,448 (Rank 9)

Last edited by Gur-Ak; 07-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Sorry but that won't happen. Goyer + Syder are the one who made Superman relevant again to Fans and GA. Goyer will be writing MOS 2 with perhaps someone like Johnathan Nolan helping with the script to ensure it's the best they can make it.

As for 300 Mil, MOs will reach this after it's run is over.
They made Superman stupid. If they've got to stay I hope they get someone smart to help Superman think outside the box. There was no ingenuity to him at all in MOS, and that is especially highlighted in the tornado scene. It's either I've got to sit back and let my dad die or save him with my powers, not I'm going to figure out a way to save my dad without my powers. And they also need someone who is good at maximizing a movie's emotional connection to the audience. If it's just Snyder and Goyer back for the sequel I have no hope at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
They made Superman stupid. If they've got to stay I hope they get someone smart to help Superman think outside the box. There was no ingenuity to him at all in MOS, and that is especially highlighted in the tornado scene. It's either I've got to sit back and let my dad die or save him with my powers, not I'm going to figure out a way to save my dad without my powers. And they also need someone who is good at maximizing a movie's emotional connection to the audience. If it's just Snyder and Goyer back for the sequel I have no hope at all.
I disagree completely. But I won't debate this on this forum as it has already been done so by me and so many other folks on this forum. There's many post about this and you are in the minority of folks that do not like this Superman/direction of MOS. All I can say is this Superman is more relatable than any that came before it. Reeve superman was made to be presented as a perfect boy-scout superman who at anytime can spin the world backward and turn back time to correct his mistake. This superman has to live with the decision/mistake he makes and there's no way of changing that. MOS leave so many direction to make a epic MOS 2.

Last edited by kalhawj; 07-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #63
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
No disrespect, but all the above is pants. In my opinion, Snyder and Goyer made the character more relevant and relatable. The only gripe I have is the shaky cam!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #64
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree completely. But I won't debate this on this forum as it has already been done so by me and so many other folks on this forum. There's many post about this and you are in the minority of folks that do not like this Superman/direction of MOS. All I can say is this Superman is more relatable than any that came before it. Reeve superman was made to be presented as a perfect boy-scout superman who at anytime can spin the world backward and turn back time to correct his mistake. This superman has to live with the decision/mistake he makes and there's no way of changing that. MOS leave so many direction to make a epic MOS 2.
I never liked this take on Superman.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #65
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanLives View Post
I never liked this take on Superman.
I love Reeve as Superman and his legacy he left behind, but I too never like this version of Superman. This is why Henry's version is the one I've been waiting to see done on the big screen. One I can finally say yes I understand what Superman is going through and I can relate to that... MOS success shows at the BO with GA accepting the changes and the new direction. Although it wasn't a major BO hit like TDK to get all fans and GA to like it... It did what it was suppose to do and was a major hit this summer (Breaking june record, highest reboot opening ever, and on pace to be the highest grossing BO reboot all time). Superman is so iconic that it's practically very difficult to please everyone. Everyone seems to have their own version of what Superman should or shouldn't be...

Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #66
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I'm a big fan of Reeve's Superman and the first film as a whole, but yeah... the whole spinning the earth backwards thing is so stupid. Even if that somehow could reverse time or whatever, I've never understood how Superman could fly so fast that he could do that, yet had trouble catching up to two missiles just a few scenes earlier.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #67
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
And as I've said before, I agree the majority of people like MOS, but not a big majority, otherwise it would have held better each week at the box office. I mean, it is going to be beaten by Despicable Me 2 in the end. Yes, it's overall box office makes it a success, and I didn't hate MOS, I thought it was entertaining overall, but there were some major issues with it I cannot get over. And well, what smart thing did he do in MOS? If he has to live with the mistakes he makes, then it really would serve him to be much much smarter than he was portrayed as in MOS since any mistakes he makes will tend be be bigger because of his power and responsibility. As for relatability, maybe the things he goes through as a child and teen are more relatable, but personalitywise, not really. I found him more relatable in Superman 2.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #68
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love Reeve as Superman and his legacy he left behind, but I too never like this version of Superman. This is why Henry's version is the one I've been waiting to see done on the big screen. One I can finally say yes I understand what Superman is going through and I can relate to that... MOS success shows at the BO with GA accepting the changes and the new direction. Although it wasn't a major BO hit like TDK to get all fans and GA to like it... It did what it was suppose to do and was a major hit this summer (Breaking june record, highest reboot opening ever, and on pace to be the highest grossing BO reboot all time). Superman is so iconic that it's practically very difficult to please everyone. Everyone seems to have their own version of what Superman should or shouldn't be...
The current incarnation is heading in the right direction, brother.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #69
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I'm a big fan of Reeve's Superman and the first film as a whole, but yeah... the whole spinning the earth backwards thing is so stupid. Even if that somehow could reverse time or whatever, I've never understood how Superman could fly so fast that he could do that, yet had trouble catching up to two missiles just a few scenes earlier.
Yeah, it had a great understanding for continuity.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #70
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Henry Cavill is a better and more convincing Superman than Reeve...certainly for this generation.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #71
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
And as I've said before, I agree the majority of people like MOS, but not a big majority, otherwise it would have held better each week at the box office. I mean, it is going to be beaten by Despicable Me 2 in the end. Yes, it's overall box office makes it a success, and I didn't hate MOS, I thought it was entertaining overall, but there were some major issues with it I cannot get over. And well, what smart thing did he do in MOS? If he has to live with the mistakes he makes, then it really would serve him to be much much smarter than he was portrayed as in MOS since any mistakes he makes will tend be be bigger because of his power and responsibility. As for relatability, maybe the things he goes through as a child and teen are more relatable, but personalitywise, not really. I found him more relatable in Superman 2.
Just imagine you have Superman powers. Your whole life you were taught to hide your powers, but as you got older you realize there has to be a reason you have these powers. You begin to do some soul searching. In the process you discover yourself, purpose, and your limits. You finally except who you are and decided to save those that needed your help. Using your power for good. Along the way you made some small or big mistake but you learn from it. Life wasn't easy but you're learning and these life experience/mistake help mold you to be a better person today if you choose too. This is what Superman goes through in MOS and we only see a small part of it. The rest will unfold in the MOS trilogy. The reason why I love this version soo much.

Last edited by kalhawj; 07-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #72
ConanLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
How did you find him more relatable in Superman 2???

Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #73
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah it's one of the dumbest moves put on film. I love STM but if I rewatch it I always stop at Lois dying. Lois dies for me in STM.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #74
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanLives View Post
How did you find him more relatable in Superman 2???
Maybe he owns a Superman shirt with a detachable Saran Wrap S.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #75
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificboy View Post
yeah it's one of the dumbest moves put on film. I love stm but if i rewatch it i always stop at lois dying. Lois dies for me in stm.
lol

Closed Thread