The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #251
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
It's still too early to judge how the score will end up.

Where do you get that it's not like by the critics so early? even the ones that didn't gave it a positieve scroe seems to agree that it's at least a good movie with a few missteps.
I've seen this happen many times on RT... In order for a film to stay in above 60% RT it will need to start off at 80%. Being at 65% RT before release isn't good. It will finish under 60% when it's full review scores are in... If it's liked by the GA it doesn't matter what the Critic thinks... MOS prove that and I'm sure Wolfy can do the same...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #252
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

I know. It's way too early to tell.

And to say that it seems it's not liked by critics is a hyperbole. Too early to tell that as well.

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #253
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Contactmusic is a UK site and most of the UK pro reviewers that have weighed in are negative. It's too early to tell if they are in-step or out-of-step with the rest of the world.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #254
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Contactmusic is a fairly useless website to begin with...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #255
Dead Man Dann
The Failed Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
I've seen this happen many times on RT... In order for a film to stay in above 60% RT it will need to start off at 80%. Being at 65% RT before release isn't good. It will finish under 60% when it's full review scores are in... If it's liked by the fans it doesn't matter what the Critic thinks... MOS prove that and I'm sure Wolfy can do the same...
Not always the case. For this particular film, there are many positive reviews that have yet to be added from well-known sites and reviewers, so it's not a 'downhill from here' situation.

Dead Man Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #256
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've seen this happen many times on RT... In order for a film to stay in above 60% RT it will need to start off at 80%. Being at 65% RT before release isn't good. It will finish under 60% when it's full review scores are in... If it's like by the fans it doesn't matter what the Critic thinks... MOS prove that and I'm sure Wolfy can do the same...
What you're talking about is coincidences. There's no real formula to predict how the score will ultimately ends up.

It may end up rotten, or it may not. Early words of the movie HAS been positieve so far. So at least it's got that going for it

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #257
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Dann View Post
Not always the case. For this particular film, there are many positive reviews that have yet to be added from well-known sites and reviewers, so it's not a 'downhill from here' situation.
Exactly

Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #258
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

It's going to be a bit of a seesaw over the next few days. Eh, I'm just going to go swimming and not worry about it.

I was actually more excited to see the 90% rating for the Springsteen movie. Love him.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #259
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Dann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
What you're talking about is coincidences. There's no real formula to predict how the score will ultimately ends up.

It may end up rotten, or it may not. Early words of the movie HAS been positieve so far. So at least it's got that going for it
Just be prepare if the score isn't what you all hope for or expect... I'm only telling what the trend is in RT. All I can say is I never listen to the Critic and still see the movie for yourself...

Last edited by kalhawj; 07-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.
kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #260
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

LOL thanks for the warnings, but don't worry.The Marvel side of this site tends to not get bent out of shape for RT ratings from my experience ( i've been around since 2003)

As for me prsonally, being a huge fan of the character, i will still go see the movie even if it has a score of 1% on RT

Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #261
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Back up to 67%

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #262
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

after seeing how the RT scores were counted for Man Of Steel, i would not entirely trust that site

a lot of reviews that are mixed to positive somehow end up getting a rotten rating instead of fresh

same thing seems to be happening with The Wolverine

regardless, as movie viewers we should decide among ourselves whether we like a movie or not and not listen to reviews

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #263
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

If you're a fan, then i guess critics reviews wouldn't really matter to you anyway....except maybe for bragging purposes.

To the GA, the way that everybody pretty much lives their lives online these days, movie reviews does play a role.

Moreover, a movie that's gotten good reviews tends to have better legs at the box office...

That said, i agree with you. The name of the game here is to entertain you, not anybody else. You should ultimately decide if the movie is good enough for your or not

Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #264
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
I've seen this happen many times on RT... In order for a film to stay in above 60% RT it will need to start off at 80%. Being at 65% RT before release isn't good. It will finish under 60% when it's full review scores are in... If it's liked by the GA it doesn't matter what the Critic thinks... MOS prove that and I'm sure Wolfy can do the same...
Not true at all. There are films that started out with a very low "rotten" percentage that ended up quite positive, Captain America for instance (79% now).

250+ reviewers, all (or pretty much all) with unpredicable opinions on a movie, and the random order in which those opinions are submitted to RT, and then the order in which RT add them to the meter make it pretty impossible to predict where it will end up so early on.

Give it 'til 100 are counted then you'll have a decent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
after seeing how the RT scores were counted for Man Of Steel, i would not entirely trust that site

a lot of reviews that are mixed to positive somehow end up getting a rotten rating instead of fresh

same thing seems to be happening with The Wolverine
The reviewers decide if their review gets counted as fresh or rotten, not RT.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Moridin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #265
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
This is what ticks me off ("wolf-man"???):

http://www.contactmusic.com/in-pictu...ackman_3775986
Forget that crappy site. They're trolling for traffic by being controversial.

The Guardian is never a good site to refer to for movie reviews. They deliberately take opposing stances on things. I know, I went for a job interview there once lol

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #266
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Guys be confident in whether you like the movie or not. No movie is objectively good or objectively bad. There are obviously badly reviewed films and well reviewed films.

In that regard I have disagreed with the critics on one account this summer.

They told me Iron Man 3 was a good movie and I thought it was absolutely horrible.

The told me Star Trek 2 was good and indeed it was really very good.

They told me Pacific Rim was good and that turned out to be good also.

They told me Man Of Steel was bad and it was actually a very poorly conceived movie.

So I can atleast see the critics point a little bit. Let's not just discredit the profession of film criticism if a fanboy film manages to get Rotten reviews - the critics might actually have a point. In case of MOS they had a point. In the case of The Wolverine, I will make up my mind after I have seen the film.

Last edited by slumcat; 07-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #267
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Based on these reviews it seems the third act suffers because it has to have "explosions" cause its a summer movie. Origins suffered this with its silly final battle. At least the first two acts appear solid, which is a step up.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #268
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Negative review 2/5

Quote:
The Wolverine” is a missed opportunity and one cannot but declare the whole enterprise as a “requiem for a dream
http://scene360.com/articles/18928/t.../#.Ue2VV0Uo7X4

Negative

Quote:
And if there's one thing to be said in favour of The Wolverine, the near-to-last and arguably least of the 2013 U.S. summer blockbusters, it's that its female characters -- Mariko, Yukio and Viper -- are not weak.
http://thelennoxfiles.blogspot.com/2...wolverine.html

Last edited by MarvelU; 07-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.
MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #269
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Positive review 3.5/4

Quote:
All in all, The Wolverine's to be commended for not sticking to the formula, offering something completely unexpected and providing a more downbeat blockbuster experience. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's stylish, different and just about a success. It's a story of honour, family pride, greed, personal belief and exorcising demons - it's perfect fodder for the tortured hero and offers up many insights into a world of superheroes without dabbling too deeply within.
http://darrens-world-of-entertainmen...ie-review.html

Another positive review

Quote:
The Wolverine will be successful and give respite to those getting Superhero movie fatigue. The scale in comparison to other movies out at the moment is just right and the Director and team give us what is needed, a good balance between performance and set pieces.
http://comicbuzz.com/2013/07/the-wolverine-review/

Last edited by MarvelU; 07-22-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #270
BMM
Side-Kick

The Hollywood Reporter - Positive

"It’s a comic-book film but not as we know it."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mov.../review/589329

EDIT: Whoops. Already posted on RT.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #271
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Another positive

Quote:
Brought to us by Fox, The Wolverine is an intriguing, enjoyable story of love, honour; tradition, greed, immortality and the fight of one’s own demons. With a running time of just over 2 hours, which actually just flies by, it’s a refreshing new vision on the Wolverine franchise, thoroughly entertaining.
http://www.flavourmag.co.uk/review-the-wolverine/

Negative 5/10

Quote:
The whole point is that they should probably stop making more installments as it is losing the grip. Clocking at 6 minutes more than two hours, it also becomes dull many times.

Watch The Wolverine in the theater only if you just can't resist it at all or you can easily rent it after some time. The 3D effects are not that great that you would want to put in extra cash for that.
http://ripemovies.com/review/2013/the-wolverine/

Mixed to positive score B

Quote:
Less a true summer blockbuster than a character study, with some amazing set pieces, The Wolverine is a movie that is a bit at odds with itself. The first 2/3 moves between two wildly different tones, and the final act goes into a silly, but still exciting, direction with its “final-boss” battle. Overall, however, this is Hugh Jackman’s best take on the character and we’re given some much needed character development, and some over-the-top action, to boot
http://influxmagazine.com/the-wolverine/

Mixed to negative

Quote:
It’s a film that struggles to know what it wants to be, and ultimately ruins itself trying to determine its place.
http://emptyscreens.com/2013/07/22/r...olverine-2013/

positive review

Quote:
Providing a blockbuster breath of fresh air, The Wolverine ditches the usual end-of-the-world perils in what is Hugh Jackman's sixth turn as the mutton-chopped mutant.
Instead the film chooses a more personal path, adds a distinctive flavour of the Far East and, in setting itself apart in such a way, deserves to claw itself a solid position at the box office.
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...+Files+Blog%29

Last edited by MarvelU; 07-22-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #272
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Based on these reviews it seems the third act suffers because it has to have "explosions" cause its a summer movie. Origins suffered this with its silly final battle. At least the first two acts appear solid, which is a step up.
It doesn't have any "explosions." Well, okay, we saw Wolverine fly through a wall, but it doesn't have explosions. There's a showdown (plus another fight also happening at the same time), but that's to be expected at the climax of a movie. The climax of any movie never involves everyone sitting down for coffee together.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #273
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The climax of any movie never involves everyone sitting down for coffee together.
Try Yasujirō Ozu.

slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #274
Liam_H
Side-Kick

When I say explosions I mean spectacle for the sake of it. Wolverine's main weapon is that he slices through things, very simple. But in Origins they decided things needed to be more grand for it to be exciting.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #275
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
When I say explosions I mean spectacle for the sake of it. Wolverine's main weapon is that he slices through things, very simple. But in Origins they decided things needed to be more grand for it to be exciting.
Well, there is some spectacle. It's subjective whether it's for the sake of it. You'll have to make your own mind up.