The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #301
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post
I didn't want to know that the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
bear dies
but I skimmed that review lol
Yea when I read that part I almost stopped reading altogether because I was trying to avoid spoilers...I do like that
It says he flies off the handle after the bear is killed by hunters.
One thing I think any of the movies didnt delve deeper enough into is the way Logan survives in the wild...he's an "animal" like them so him sharing the woods with another beast is characteristic of him.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #302
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Yeah and that whole "You're not an animal, Logan." BS from Origins really pissed me off lol

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #303
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Dont know how to feel about this article from Yahoo http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...ml?cache=clear
The headline had the word "Cringeworthy" in it but the actual article said the movie is getting great reviews mainly because of Hugh Jackman's performance...Basically it's a summary of most of the reviews we've already read.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #304
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

lmao I literally just got done skimming that article, didn't read the whole thing but it says to bring a big cup of coffee for the "slow spots". God forbid a summer movie has a few intimate scenes that let the rest of the film breathe and lets you engage with the characters. Jesus, they also call the Jean Grey sequences cringeworthy because of how she looks on the screen. The article is such BS that it's kind of hilarious.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #305
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post
lmao I literally just got done skimming that article, didn't read the whole thing but it says to bring a big cup of coffee for the "slow spots". God forbid a summer movie has a few intimate scenes that let the rest of the film breathe and lets you engage with the characters. Jesus, they also call the Jean Grey sequences cringeworthy because of how she looks on the screen. The article is such BS that it's kind of hilarious.
Yea I hate that it got a headline on yahoo.com too -____-...Including the word Cringeworthy really? I like that this movie is a little slower paced than other superhero movies, it's character driven and you need the movie to be like that for characters like Wolverine...The Punisher is the same way I enjoyed the Thomas Jane version because it was character driven and had slower spots (albeit a few too many but hey it wasnt perfect). Sounds to me like The Wolverine is a step in the right direction for sure.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #306
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Well,all I can say is I enjoyed X-3 and Origins,so it'll probably take a fail of epic proportions to make me disappointed with this one.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #307
Snikt
Side-Kick

Back up to 68% Fresh . More positive reviews are rolling in

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #308
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Back up to 68% Fresh . More positive reviews are rolling in
69% n counting

Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #309
icekid
Side-Kick

So I just got home from it, and after having pretty much my first meal all day and pondering the movie during it, I've come to this conclusion. I liked it, a lot, didn't love it, but thoroughly enjoyed all of it. It's definitely my number 2 favorite X-Men Film.

I don't say that lightly .I say it with that fact that this movie had me invested in every character, it made me believe the environment kept me interested, and the action pieces were solid. It is very loosely based on the source material, more so than I originally had thought, but it worked. It didn't feel like a comic book movie until about the third act, which was commonly said.

As for my thoughts on the actual story and characters, it's not necessarily spoiler heavy, but there are some points that aren't exactly out there so I'll leave it in tags below. There are some particular heavy spoilers there, but they are all blacked out, so it's still safe.

I needed more Yukio, even though she was featured heavily. She stole the show for me and her backstory with growing up a mutant and her special relationship with the Yoshida's make me want more of her. I wouldn't mind if in the future she is revisited because her and Logan are a kickass team. I liked Mariko, which is saying a lot for me, because there was nothing aside from a sad face shown of her in promotional material. I didn't fully buy the fact that her and Logan became sort of a thing so soon, but I am glad they didn't turn it into a full blown love story like what he and Jean had become in previous films. Harada served his purpose, and he was another character I wish there was more of, just a little. The Japan setting was great, how it was shot and how the character's interacted with their environment made me feel the world they were in. The setting had a very major impact on it's environment and it was very welcomed! There were some pretty awesome 'wolverine' moments as in one liners and insults. It had it's fair share of comedic moments (particularly caveman Logan getting "disinfected" by the cleaning women int he tub, haha) without becoming overbearing like the Marvel films.

Speaking of Jean, her role and part int he story was great, but her actual character confused me a bit. Jean never loved Logan like she did Scott, Phoenix, however, was all over him because it was part of what she was, and instinctual creature. The movie made Jean in love with him and the final scene with her made her clingy in a way, and not very Jean-like. "I'm all alone" no, you killed Cyclops, is here not there with you? (plot hole or future movie thread?). "You put me here", uh, is it Phoenix talking or Jean, because this is a major monkey wrench in the system. How Jean behaved in her last scene was the only thing I wasn't expecting. Aside from that, oh hey White Hot Room, nice white dress. Jean was there to help him, warn him, help him move on and it served it's purpose. Seeing Famke back in the role was major for me, because I'm a major Jean Grey fan and a fan of Famke as her. I understand that things didn't go as any of us, Famke included, wanted for the character, but this was a very nice addition to the role. This woman doesn't age, she could easily jump back in the role a few films from now. Viper was the downside, she filled the maniacal villain role and I wasn't too fond of her character, but it as necessary to move the movie along and had a certain edge that balanced the movie.

Silver Samurai, where do I begin, Yoshida actually being the one in the suit, sure I'm fine with it. Cutting off logan's claws to extract his bone marrow so that Yoshida will be young again but Logan starts rapidly aging, what? That's an actual feature in the suit? I don't know where to begin with that. Why build a samurai suit if you anticipated on Logan not having his healing factor, why not just have the clan of ninjas take care of him if that was the case? Build an incubator to keep you alive instead, not a silver samurai suit that's keeping you alive though not mentioned how? How did you know you needed adamantium, Logan didn't even know that for most of his life, and how did he find that much of it? After all was said and done, why not get the same person that built the suit to melt it back down and give wolverine his metal claws back. He can't fight Sentinels with bone claws! What did he have planned for Mariko when he would gain his 'life' back? Viper never finished answering that. Keep in mind, all of that take you literally 10 minutes of the film, so that hasn't had a major impact on my view of the movie.

As for the mid credits scene, WOW. Probably the best that I've seen in a long time. This is a full summary, fresh from my memory, of the scene. 2 years later, Wolverine is going through an airport checkpoint. He looks up at a television screen and there's a commercial playing. It's for Trask Industries, showing clips of a robotic arm moving then a military drone before cutting out to the logo and a voice over saying "building today for a better tomorrow". Logan then moves ahead in the line and he looks at a tray next to him. All the metal starts to whirl around in it and then levitate upward. He looks around frantically before stopping and he quickly lashes his claws out and attacks the person right behind him in line. He then stops mid swing as Magneto has hold of him. Magneto is wearing the same outfit we saw him in during X1 when he and Xavier met outside of the Senate hearing, hat and jacket. He informs Wolverine that there are human forces at work building something that could out an end to their kind. While he's saying this, everyone behind him moving about just stops mid stride. Logan asks why he should trust him and Magneto releases his hold on him, Logan begins to notice everything around him has stopped. The very next thing we see is Xavier in his chair, wheeling through a crowd of time frozen people to the front of Wolverine. Logan is shocked and has a confused face and stutters out "how is this possible" and Xavier replies "like I said when we first met, we aren't the only people with special talents". Logan looks at him, then turns back to Magneto behind him who I think says something and it cuts back to the credits.

Last edited by icekid; 07-24-2013 at 12:12 AM.
icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #310
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

it looks like this movie will stay in the mid or high 60s!

As long as it gets a fresh rating, Id be content!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #311
icekid
Side-Kick

With how the film is structured and how everything is handled, it deserves more than that.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #312
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Definitely. It's a solid good movie.

My mind was completely obliterated by getting to go on stage with Hugh before the movie, so I can't be objective at all right now. But I did really enjoy it.

The end credits scene was awesome!!!! I just wanted DOFP to start now.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #313
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Definitely. It's a solid good movie.

My mind was completely obliterated by getting to go on stage with Hugh before the movie, so I can't be objective at all right now. But I did really enjoy it.

The end credits scene was awesome!!!! I just wanted DOFP to start now.
waitwut i didnt know you saw it already, did u just see it?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #314
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthooksrus86 View Post
waitwut i didnt know you saw it already, did u just see it?
Yes! Me, icekid, and TWayneP were at the Fan Event screening in NYC tonight. Poni_Boy has seen it twice already!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #315
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Yes! Me, icekid, and TWayneP were at the Fan Event screening in NYC tonight. Poni_Boy has seen it twice already!
Niceee...Glad yall liked it, cant wait to see it myself at the end of the week!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #316
Crosswind Ghost
Side-Kick

Film is back above 70%.. But not for long sadly Ny daily news gave it a negative review. Every time the film peaks at 70, it immediately drops back.

Crosswind Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #317
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Moments in The Wolverine rank among both the franchise's best and worst, but there's enough in the positive column to make the movie a must for fans and entertaining viewing for casual observers.
- The Wrap (Top Critic) - Fresh rating

And The Wolverine has 49/100 score in Metacritic with 7 reviews.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #318
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

It'll end up in the 70s

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #319
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hopefully!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #320
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

71%

Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #321
icekid
Side-Kick

If the 3rd act was retooled just a little, it'll be a masterpiece of The Dark Knight quality. It made me forget that I was watching a "superhero" movie, because I forgot, and that's actually a good thing!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #322
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
If the 3rd act was retooled just a little, it'll be a masterpiece of The Dark Knight quality. It made me forget that I was watching a "superhero" movie, because I forgot, and that's actually a good thing!
Abso-freaking-lutely. That final battle isn't bad, it just feels completely out of place.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #323
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

So do you guys want to see James Mangold directing another X-Men movie, or another X-Men spin-off movie?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #324
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Nope

Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #325
icekid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So do you guys want to see James Mangold directing another X-Men movie, or another X-Men spin-off movie?
I would say yes to either depending on what it involves. The intimacy of the characters, their development and the investment in the stakes of the film, in addition to the world that is literally created and presented around you, just amazing film making. Yes! I would be excited to see how he creates the segregated society world of the X-Men in something more familiar to us. Probably not a grand scale or high stakes movie, but something more personal like this. yes