The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #526
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

*facepalm*

I guess I just don't get this whole third act turning into a different movie talk.

Where did you expect it to go? The movie was building to the final act. You knew there was a giant silver samurai for wolverine to fight. Was wolvie not going to fight it? Was there not going to be a climactic tag-battle between wolverine, SS, viper and Yukio?? It was built up almost the whole movie...

By the time the final act rolled around I WANTED a brawl with the giant SS and viper and yukio. It was great to me. A slow build into a firework finish, then the dust settles. It didn't falter for me that much. A little, but not much. It won me over after a certain thing happened with wolverine at the very end.

I thought iron man 3 was mediocre then morphed to complete crap by the end because it was never iron man. It was Robert Downey jr fooling around with iron man suits, plus a completely butchered mandarin(even worse than Deadpool).

Man of steel very solid through out with some filming hiccups. again with a greatly satisfying 3rd act.(just because we haven't seen superman really FIGHT until now)

I LOVE the Comicbook brawls, and I love the slow grind character studies. Having both of those aspects in my wolverine movie really works for me because it was just logically heading that way. Best of both worlds in one movie. Anything less would have been disappointing. Just pointing out my view on the final act.

TWayneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #527
Crosswind Ghost
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Joblo Loved it!
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-the-wolverine

Crosswind Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #528
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP
Where did you expect it to go?
Wolverine fighting his way through an ENTIRE village of ninja for his love Mariko? That would have been way cooler, more climactic, more reminescent of what we've seen Wolvie do in the comics and also much more appropriate with all the themes set up .... The whole 'Ronin' motif? Nope, forget 'Ronin', let's fight a robot.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #529
icekid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
One thing I really liked was how
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
when Wolvie gets his claws snapped off, we see that he can grow/regenerate the bone claws. That said, I don't get why he lost his adamantium claws at all. It seemed like an arbitrary thing to lose... I mean, I get the motif of a hero losing their powers in order to regain humanity but since he still has claws and powers... I dunno, it's just annoying :P Bad timing if he's going to be fighting a bunch of robots in the next movie
I have somewhat the same feelings on it, it came out of the blue but we all could tell where it was going with that. I just wish that they could have given them back to him! I mean there's all this adamantium lying around them, they had the means to do it post movie. All it needed was a quick explanation while he and Yukio were on the plane. Hopefully Magneto helps out with that in DoFP.

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #530
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine fighting his way through an ENTIRE village of ninja for his love Mariko? That would have been way cooler, more climactic, more reminescent of what we've seen Wolvie do in the comics and also much more appropriate with all the themes set up .... The whole 'Ronin' motif? Nope, forget 'Ronin', let's fight a robot.
Well ...wasn't a robot. Everything stayed in tact for me and paid off.

More reminiscent of what we've seen Wolvie do in the comics? We've seen Wolvie do almost EVERYTHING in the comics. Including fighting giant robots, which he doesnt in this film. And he did fight through the ninjas to get to Mariko, did you miss that part? He was taken out and brought in to complete the extraction.

*facepalm*

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #531
icekid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
Well wasn't a robot anyway. Everything stayed in tact for me and paid off.

More reminiscent of what we've seen Wolvie do in the comics? We've seen Wolvie do almost EVERYTHING in the comics. Including fighting giant robots, which he doesnt in this film. And he did fight through the ninjas to get to Mariko, did you miss that part? He was taken out and brought in to complete the extraction.

*facepalm*
Harada seemed very flip-floppy to me, I wish he was fleshed out more because it seemed as if he was very unclear with his aliances. I mean yes, he was Mariko's protector and in love with her, but why would he side with Yoshida aside from the ninja clan code. If they developed the backstory of the ninja's a little more, it would just be the final touch I needed for that aspect.

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #532
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Haha well it's not like they can just staple them back on. If you notice, the few people milling around get the f**k out once the fighting starts. And even if they found the right guy to do the operation it's not like he'd automatically know how to cut Logan open to replace the claws.

I wouldn't worry though, that will definitely have an impact in future films.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #533
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
Harada seemed very flip-floppy to me, I wish he was fleshed out more because it seemed as if he was very unclear with his aliances. I mean yes, he was Mariko's protector and in love with her, but why would he side with Yoshida aside from the ninja clan code. If they developed the backstory of the ninja's a little more, it would just be the final touch I needed for that aspect.
I thought it was very clear

His allegiance was to the Black Clan throughout, which he was second in command of. But even then he went out of his way to go against his leader when Mariko's life was on the line.

I didn't see any back and forth regarding his motivations.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #534
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
[BLACKOUT]wAnd he did fight through the ninjas to get to Mariko
I can't wait to see that full, uncut scene. It's be brutal. BUT I really liked the way they took him down. They were smart. Once the first few guys got taken out they didn't just throw everyone at it and instead out smarted him. Good writing

Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #535
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
I can't wait to see that full, uncut scene. It's be brutal. BUT I really liked the way they took him down. They were smart. Once the first few guys got taken out they didn't just throw everyone at it and instead out smarted him. Good writing
Indeed... Even though I too can't wait for the uncut scene, it made TOTAL sense that he wouldn't friggin waste precious time on fighting endless ninjas. He was fighting to get to Mariko the whole time, fighting through the poision of the arrows etc...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #536
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
And it just looked painful. That's how you do violence with a PG-13.

I also liked,

Wolverine, after it was all said and done, saying "Are you all right?" and then just falls over.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #537
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

So I guess thats it for today on RT? It's been stuck on 31 and 15 for the past few hours.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #538
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind Ghost View Post
He loved Origins as well, in fact he gave that a 8.5

lol

Old Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #539
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And it just looked painful. That's how you do violence with a PG-13.

I also liked,

Wolverine, after it was all said and done, saying "Are you all right?" and then just falls over.
They basically did to Wolverine what was done to Hulk in The Avengers: make him get hurt/fatigued. Even after he gets his full healing factor back. It hearkens back to what Roger Ebert said about Origins:

Why should I care about this guy? He feels no pain and nothing can kill him, so therefore he's essentially a story device for action sequences.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #540
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine fighting his way through an ENTIRE village of ninja for his love Mariko?
Sort of something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1DjvdV0U8

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #541
Crosswind Ghost
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wolverine View Post
He loved Origins as well, in fact he gave that a 8.5

lol
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-wolverine

Wait what

Get your facts straight, bub.

Last edited by Crosswind Ghost; 07-25-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Crosswind Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #542
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Hah funny you mention that since that was one the inspirations for that scene

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #543
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
They basically did to Wolverine what was done to Hulk in The Avengers: make him get hurt/fatigued. Even after he gets his full healing factor back. It hearkens back to what Roger Ebert said about Origins:

Why should I care about this guy? He feels no pain and nothing can kill him, so therefore he's essentially a story device for action sequences.
And it was like Wolverine didn't know how to process it. It reminded me a little of a scene that was cut from X-Men, after he stabbed Rogue by accident. He told her that he'd tried to kill himself a bunch of times, but it never worked. But what she did made him feel what it was like to be dying for the first time, and he realized he didn't like it.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #544
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind Ghost View Post
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-wolverine

Wait what

Get your facts straight, bub.
I stand corrected, I should have done my research better but I do remember an 8.5 rating for some reason.

Old Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #545
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

If it were up to me the posters/promo images for the movie would have been the rice paper art followed by images like this:

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #546
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I hope they release those images without the text once the movie is out. They are gorgeous.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #547
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

I think they're on the Fox press site. I'll look em up for you

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #548
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think they're on the Fox press site. I'll look em up for you
Would you be allowed to post them? Those images are super badass!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #549
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Just checked and they're not uploaded yet. Once they're on there you can post them.

And I just noticed this one on the Facebook page:

First time they've used two different quotes of mine for one movie. Woot

Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #550
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Sweet! Thanks.