The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #651
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Up to 67% now with 108 reviews (72+ 36-)

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #652
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

I'm going to see this simply because of its link to DOFP after credits lol.

But I'll be damned, at this point The Wolverine has a good shot of staying fresh.

I think Fox is trying, just trying to take the franchise to the next level, which is past due, X-men started the new comic craze and had to take it in a serious direction. Now, they can have fun like every1 else.

Wolverine, a fresh rating, if it remains mixed to positive, and has a opening north of 55 mil, I think its a great leading into DOFP.

PoSeiDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #653
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post

But I'll be damned, at this point The Wolverine has a good shot of staying fresh.

I think Fox is trying, just trying to take the franchise to the next level, which is past due, X-men started the new comic craze and had to take it in a serious direction. Now, they can have fun like every1 else.

Wolverine, a fresh rating, if it remains mixed to positive, and has a opening north of 55 mil, I think its a great leading into DOFP.
They certainly try some new things here, very brave but I think the reviews are suffering as a result.

Its just not a CBM that will appeal to the GA or has mass appeal, its not the flashy kind more of an antidote to the likes of Iron-Man.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #654
zipzip
Side-Kick

8/10 solid film enjoyed it.The 3rd act is definitely problematic but the film has tons of great moments.
x2
first class
x-men
The wolverine
last stand
origin

zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #655
zipzip
Side-Kick

richardroeper gave the film a (B)
http://www.richardroeper.com/

Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #656
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Saw this tonight. I enjoyed it a lot, mainly because I wasn't expecting much from it. Definitely one of the better X-Men films.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #657
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post

Isn't it nice to see FOX delivering another good X-Men movie? two good X-Men movies in a row! Now the pressure is on DOFP!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #658
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Critics be crazy, this needs a much more positive overall rating. On hand hand they get tired of typical CBMs, on the other they want more typical CBM stuff. F**k them.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #659
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I liked it more than that other nameless movie the pro critics hailed as the new gold standard of CBMs.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #660
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Certainly. At this point, this is what the genre needs, more often than once in a while.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #661
PunyGod
Side-Kick

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #662
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I liked it more than that other nameless movie the pro critics hailed as the new gold standard of CBMs.
So did I.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #663
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Were the swords used by Mariko's father made of adamantium too?

(I'm not talking about the end, I'm talking about the fight at the house.)
Nope.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #664
PunyGod
Side-Kick

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #665
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, he did destroy the first 2 swords fairly easily and early. I always assumed that adamantium doesn't destroy steel as easily as a lightsaber does, anyway.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #666
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Well, he did destroy the first 2 swords fairly easily and early. I always assumed that adamantium doesn't destroy steel as easily as a lightsaber does, anyway.
Maybe he'll have lightsaber claws in DOFP. Problem solved!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #667
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Now I'm boycotting X-DoFP if this doesn't happen.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #668
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Critics be crazy, this needs a much more positive overall rating. On hand hand they get tired of typical CBMs, on the other they want more typical CBM stuff. F**k them.
Exactly what i said yesterday too..

Quote:
Funny thing, critics were complaining about needless wanto destruction, CGI fest in recent blockbusters, and here comes a CB movie that tried to do something different, and they complain bout it for the lack of wanton destructions, CGI crapfest etc

..well judging from most of the rotten reviews anyways...

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #669
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Inconsistency at its worst.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #670
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:

Inconsistency at its worst.
I think because of Origin, some of them just expecting this movie to be dead on arrival.When this movie turns out to be actually good,it caught them off guard. I do think that some of them already have a pre conceived notions about the movie because of Origin.

Had origin never been made, and this is Wolvie first movie outing, i do think that the reception would be much better.

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #671
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Really? Cause I saw so many blurbs on RT(that are positive) saying it improves on its predecessor. Having a turd to compare it with makes TW look better.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #672
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #673
narrows101
Side-Kick

NJ Star Ledger:

Quote:
'The Wolverine' review: Give this X-Man an 'A'

Comic book fans can argue over which superhero is the coolest. The noble Superman or the snarky Iron Man? The Dark Knight of despair or the red-white-and-blue Captain America?

And they will argue because, well, that's what comic-book fans do. That's part of the fun.

But in a summer which has already seen a couple of those characters come back in new adventures — and some other would-be blockbusters go bust — here's something that's hard to debate:

"The Wolverine" is the best superhero film since "The Avengers" — maybe even since "The Dark Knight."

To be honest, low expectations do help. The last "Wolverine" solo film — the 2009 how-it-began picture "Origins" — didn't thrill too many fans. And if the original franchise hadn't been losing its mutant power, the studio wouldn't have rebooted things with the recent "X-Men: First Class."

But fans of the sharp-knuckled fellow always knew that he had a lot of potential, and that one day he'd get the vehicle to show it off. And "The Wolverine" is the film that does it — and it does it by putting him in completely unfamiliar surroundings.

Set sometime after 2006's "The Last Stand," it has the Wolverine wandering the Yukon, living in the wilderness and trying to forget his guilt over Jean Grey's death. Which is kind of hard, as she keeps showing up in his dull, overlit dreams (not director James Mangold's subtlest touch).

But then an old friend from his complicated past — and immortal beings tend to have complicated pasts — asks to see him one last time. And so the Wolverine (or Logan, as he's known to his friends) goes to Japan, where there's a battle over a billion-dollar conglomerate.

Except this battle comes complete with yakuza gangs. And ninja armies. And a mad, serpentine scientist known as Viper, a literally toxic individual who speaks with a forked tongue and has plans to drain the Wolverine of his formidable power.

Yeah, just your average day in the life of an ex-X-Man.

Although Fox's "The Wolverine" is a big summer movie it's also a smart one, and other studios could take some tips. For one thing, although it's a big-budget film, it wasn't insanely expensive (it reportedly cost half of what "The Lone Ranger" did) and every dollar is on the screen.

Its crew is impressive too, and full of grown-ups. The credited screenwriters include Christopher McQuarrie (who wrote "The Usual Suspects") and Scott Frank ("Get Shorty"); director Mangold's films include "I Walk the Line." This isn't a bunch of first-timers and music-video mavens.

And — unlike, say, "After Earth" — the film both gives us something fans haven't seen before (the Wolverine dueling with samurai swordsmen? I'm there!) and a character they already have a lot invested in, facing both new challenges and some old guilty feelings.

Jackman — now in his sixth appearance as the mutant — is both physically ripped and emotionally torn up; when the film begins, this moody hero is at his lowest point ever. The actor is clearly having a great time, particularly the chance to channel some early Eastwood ("The Outlaw Josey Wales" is a definite reference point).

Jackman gets good support from the rest of the cast, too, particularly Rila Fukushima as an almost anime action-hero and Svetlana Khodchenkova as the villainous Viper. (While the X-Men series has always been known for its strong female characters, this episode is particularly woman-driven — something else other studios could learn from.)

True, after the film is over, you could pick a hole or two in the story — this is one of those movies where, instead of simply shooting a person and being done with it, the villains launch all sorts of nefarious plots. And the climax demands a pretty out-of-character twist.

But you can save those quibbles for the ride home afterward, or online debates with other comic-book fans. While you're actually watching the film, you'll be too busy enjoying amazing action sequences like a hand-to-hand combat aboard a speeding bullet train, or the rampage of a giant robo-samurai.

And delighting in a movie that triumphantly puts the "X-Men" franchise back where it belongs: On the A list.

Ratings note: The film contains violence, gore, strong language and sexual situations.
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/inde...l#incart_river

"It's not just that they don't make 'em like Hugh Jackman anymore - they never did."

"Hugh Jackman cruised in to a roaring crowd oozing more sex appeal then Prince Charming riding a horse called Charisma into the land of Suave."

"Hugh is not supposed to exist. You’re not supposed to be that macho, that tender and that athletic, and be able to sing." - Anne Hathaway
narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #674
zipzip
Side-Kick

http://m.toledoblade.com/Movies/2013...harp-move.html. ( positive)

Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #675
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I don't care about RT, just as long as my personal top critics like it, then it's good. Guess what, my favorite critics liked it. Gonna see it soon.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote