The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man? (pre-Miles Morales)
5/5 18 51.43%
4/5 12 34.29%
3/5 2 5.71%
2/5 2 5.71%
1/5 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #51
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post

As does every vigilante, and every superman version, in fact i don't really remember him doing anything major gainst authority.

I meant more him skateboarding in the halls and acted toward teachers...

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #52
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

How did he act towards teachers? lol

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #53
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

It's been a while since I saw the film, but doesn't a teacher tell him not to skateboard in the halls, but then he does so anyway?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #54
Picard Sisko

No, he picks up the skateboard and walks.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #55
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

He does pick up the skateboard and walk until he's outta sight of the teacher, then he puts the board on the ground and continues to skate.

Edit: And what the heck happened to this thread? lol. I thought this was an Ultimate Spider-man comic thread.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
He does pick up the skateboard and walk until he's outta sight of the teacher, then he puts the board on the ground and continues to skate.
I guess I didn't mis-remember.

Quote:
Edit: And what the heck happened to this thread? lol. I thought this was an Ultimate Spider-man comic thread.
An off handed remark that ASM was the weakest Spider-Man movie spun a little out of control...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #57
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Oh that change everything, Peter is a big jerk!

Quote:
Back on topic...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #58
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Oh that change everything, Peter is a big jerk!

Back on topic...
I'm sure you are being sarcastic but just in case, I never said Peter was a jerk, I was simply laying out exactly what he did in that particular scene.

And for the actual topic...did anyone like how they rewrote the introduction of the symbiote and Venom?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #59
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I'm sure you are being sarcastic but just in case, I never said Peter was a jerk, I was simply laying out exactly what he did in that particular scene.
I was being sarcastic, I don't think he is a jerk AT ALL.

Quote:
And for the actual topic...did anyone like how they rewrote the introduction of the symbiote and Venom?
I don't even remember how they rewrote it. Could you refresh my memory?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #60
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

In a quick summary...MJ breaks up with Peter and he finds consolation in Eddie Brock at university. Apparently their fathers worked in a lab together and created the symbiote. Peter shares a vid with Eddie at a family picnic and then Eddie shares with him what he calls their "inheritance." The symbiote attaches to Pete and eventually goes looking for Eddie to help him get rid of it, and thusly Venom is born.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
Morbius
Living Vampire

Dry Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote:
I started re-reading Ultimate Spider-Man from the very beginning, and I have to say, I am very pleased. I really forgot how good this series is. It takes some of the best concepts introduced by Stan Lee and co. decades prior and modernized them to fit today's standards. It shows you how timeless Spider-Man really is.

I don't understand why fans hate it so much. Right now I am at issue #39, and absolutely love it. 9.5/10
THIS!!

I'm absolutely in love with the series! I actually noticed some scenes/characters taken from this comic and put into TASM:

- Spiderwoman yelling: "I'm swingin' here! I'm swingin' here!" (I prefer the more obvious nod to Midnight Cowboy they did in TASM though)
- One of Parker's teachers towards the end of the Ultimate series has the exact same appearance and similar lines as his English teacher at the end of TASM

It also became really apparent just how good the series was, when Ultimatum started. Going from that awful piece of shock-value dribble back to the Ultimate Spidey comics during those events was akin to eating your first beautiful bacon sandwich after being forced to eat an entire bowl of your grandma's toenail clippings

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #62
Picard Sisko

Quote:
In a quick summary...MJ breaks up with Peter and he finds consolation in Eddie Brock at university. Apparently their fathers worked in a lab together and created the symbiote. Peter shares a vid with Eddie at a family picnic and then Eddie shares with him what he calls their "inheritance." The symbiote attaches to Pete and eventually goes looking for Eddie to help him get rid of it, and thusly Venom is born.
Ah, thank you. Yes, I did like how Venom was created in this series. My favorite incarnation is from the 90s cartoon (shuttle crash lands with symbiote), but this is another good alternative that really fits into TASM universe IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
THIS!!

I'm absolutely in love with the series! I actually noticed some scenes/characters taken from this comic and put into TASM:

- Spiderwoman yelling: "I'm swingin' here! I'm swingin' here!" (I prefer the more obvious nod to Midnight Cowboy they did in TASM though)
- One of Parker's teachers towards the end of the Ultimate series has the exact same appearance and similar lines as his English teacher at the end of TASM

It also became really apparent just how good the series was, when Ultimatum started. Going from that awful piece of shock-value dribble back to the Ultimate Spidey comics during those events was akin to eating your first beautiful bacon sandwich after being forced to eat an entire bowl of your grandma's toenail clippings

It feels like I am watching a movie adaption of the 616 comics, but in the form of a graphic novel. Its quite amazing. I really hate that they killed off Peter Parker.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #63
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Yeah, killing him off was fine but they way they did it was terrible. Getting shot by events in a separate crossover was extremely disappointing. I expected him to be brutally murdered by Norman.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #64
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Yeah, killing him off was fine but they way they did it was terrible. Getting shot by events in a separate crossover was extremely disappointing. I expected him to be brutally murdered by Norman.
Did you read Spider-Men? I really enjoyed it a lot. It was so cool to see 616 Peter Parker enter the Ultimate universe and talk about how this world is different from his. Gave me the chills.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
When he returns to the 616 universe, he wonders if there is a Miles Morales there. He searches on the computer, and says, "Oh my god!" Then it ends...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #65
optimus2861
Side-Kick

I read Ultimate for a while, picked up the trades, but eventually got tired of Bendis's decompressed writing. I dropped the book somewhere in the 40s, shortly after Spidey met Jean Grey for the first time; it was that "Spidey pictures Jean naked" joke which dragged on for an entire 9-panel page that was my personal last straw with Bendis's writing style.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #66
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I read Ultimate for a while, picked up the trades, but eventually got tired of Bendis's decompressed writing. I dropped the book somewhere in the 40s, shortly after Spidey met Jean Grey for the first time; it was that "Spidey pictures Jean naked" joke which dragged on for an entire 9-panel page that was my personal last straw with Bendis's writing style.
Each to their own. I actually liked that gag, and I love Bendis' writing style

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #67
Nicko-Ray
"Wanna fight? Fight me!"

Quote:
When the Ultimate comics line started in the early 2000s I was out of the loop with comics and so I missed the chance to read this series at start-up. Prior to that, I had read various stories from the Amazing Spider-man line, Spectacular Spider-man, and some other stories here and there. I lost interest after awhile and didn't get back into the mix until after SM2. When I did find myself reading again I was put off by the concerns/negativity surrounding the Ultimate comics in general so I never read them. It wasn't until I received some inspiration from some members on this board actually, that I started reading this series. All I can say is I am very glad.

First off, Bendis and Bagley work really well together and I find that Bagley's art is just beautiful. He totally morphed his art style for this series from the past works he had done for Spider-man. It should also be noted that Bendis and Bagley worked together on Ultimate Spider-man for somewhere around 110 issues and I think they still hold the record for the amount of issues by a pair in a row. That kind of consistency is rare in comics and part of the reason I think this series was so successful and well-liked.

I think a lot of the criticisms come from the fact that they reimagined the world of Peter Parker and made changes to the roles of other characters, MJ and Gwen for example, and also made significant character/design changes to the villains. The basic story is there and I like how it's presented...the key elements remain, i.e. Uncle Ben's death, etc. and I like how Bendis took his time with the origin. I also found the clone saga in the Ultimate series to be better than the saga in 616. But back to the criticisms. Let's take the Green Goblin. This is a much different interpretation than what we got with 616 but I don't necessarily think it is bad. I'm not advocating that Ultimate GG is a great thing or that it's better than 616, because it isn't quite frankly, however this version suits the universe created by Bendis. The Ultimate universe imo is a much harsher, more dangerous world than that of the 616 and its villains need to fit that mold. The way I look at it is this...the 616 Spider-man will always be there no matter what, I can always go back and re-read those stories and enjoy them. Those stories hold a special place for me but imo there's nothing wrong with liking another take or interpretation of the characters. I certainly don't mind that they made changes throughout the stories and there were definitely some surprising twists that I really liked. Others not so much. I think Joker was right about the Carnage arc and was my biggest wtf moment of reading these stories...I won't say much more Picard cause I don't want to spoil you but brace yourself, lol.

All in all I thought the Ultimate Spider-man was a really good read. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would based on the many critisicms I have heard over the years. It's a shame that I didn't read this sooner is my only regret and it kinda sucks that they killed off PP when he was in his prime. It was awesome though that Bagley returned for the final issue. I am so glad they opted to make this series something different and unique...another rehash of the material would have been a drag imo...I mean, Spider-man Chapter One...yeah, that was dreadful.
Cool review man. Maybe you can get what I'm trying to say here, but if you replace every time you wrote "Ultimate Spider-Man" with you know, "The Amazing Spider-Man" (being Marc Webb's reboot), it would make sense, and be very similar in situation. What I'm trying to say is the fact that at the time USM came out, it was a re-imagining and retelling of Spider-Man. And of course that's gonna bring some good and bad out of people but oh well. Again, great review. I agree with most points. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet as I am kinda dreading and stalling getting up to Peter's death haha! I finished the Close Saga however, and that's where I'm at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
I have the entire Ultimate Peter Parker run collected in trades. I love the series. It was my entry into the comic book world. I think it will probably remain my favorite series for a long time.
That's incredible. So jealous. I one day want Issue #1, the legit non-FCBD version, framed on my wall along with other issues that mean a lot to me. I love the series as well, and just started reading comics around last year, July/August. I would say USM was definitely the entry for me as I fell in love very easily with the first few issues.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #68
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
Cool review man. Maybe you can get what I'm trying to say here, but if you replace every time you wrote "Ultimate Spider-Man" with you know, "The Amazing Spider-Man" (being Marc Webb's reboot), it would make sense, and be very similar in situation. What I'm trying to say is the fact that at the time USM came out, it was a re-imagining and retelling of Spider-Man. And of course that's gonna bring some good and bad out of people but oh well. Again, great review. I agree with most points. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet as I am kinda dreading and stalling getting up to Peter's death haha! I finished the Close Saga however, and that's where I'm at.
Thanks. I get what you're saying about the similarity with ASM the movie and it makes sense too cause in a way they are drawing inspiration for the development from the Ultimate universe. But I think in any revisioning or reimagining of any character that has such a deep, loved, 50 year long history, you're going to run into a mixed batch of feelings/opinions no matter what you do. It's gotta be a tough job to tackle.

Did you enjoy the Clone Saga?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
Nicko-Ray
"Wanna fight? Fight me!"

Quote:
Thanks. I get what you're saying about the similarity with ASM the movie and it makes sense too cause in a way they are drawing inspiration for the development from the Ultimate universe. But I think in any revisioning or reimagining of any character that has such a deep, loved, 50 year long history, you're going to run into a mixed batch of feelings/opinions no matter what you do. It's gotta be a tough job to tackle.

Did you enjoy the Clone Saga?
Right. It was like USM's rebirth in movie form.

I did enjoy the Clone Saga. Read through it once and planning a second time. I remember it being very packed but in a good way. Like there was a bunch of stuff especially the (fake) Richard Parker stuff I was really interested in, and the whole Doc Ock mess. That was great.
I've never read the original Ben Reilly stuff; everytime I see those books at a comic shop, there's a bunch so it looks like when the time comes that I do read it, it'll be a lot to tackle haha. So without that comparison, I still enjoyed it.

Last edited by Nicko-Ray; 08-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #70
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

lol @ Marvel's November solits...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #71
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I thought spectacular was better TBH.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #72
Picard Sisko

I have officially read the first 53 issues of USM... and I have to say I still love it. Though the thought of getting closer to Peter's demise makes me sad.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #73
Nicko-Ray
"Wanna fight? Fight me!"

Quote:
I have officially read the first 53 issues of USM... and I have to say I still love it. Though the thought of getting closer to Peter's demise makes me sad.
Lol. I feel you. It's very difficult. You get so attatched to not only the universe and all the sub characters, but of course Peter. *sigh*

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #74
Picard Sisko

So far the only thing I wasn't crazy about was when Spider-Man met the X-Men (somewhere in the mid 40s), but it picked right back up again once I got past that (Kingpin/Black Cat/Elektra storyline).

Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #75
Nicko-Ray
"Wanna fight? Fight me!"

Quote:
So far the only thing I wasn't crazy about was when Spider-Man met the X-Men (somewhere in the mid 40s), but it picked right back up again once I got past that (Kingpin/Black Cat/Elektra storyline).
Yeah. The popular opinion is that it shakes up around there. But I dig some of that stuff. You mean where he meets Geldoff at the other school right? I don't like much of the iron fist stuff..