The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man? (pre-Miles Morales)
5/5 22 51.16%
4/5 15 34.88%
3/5 2 4.65%
2/5 3 6.98%
1/5 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #76
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Yes, the Geldoff storyline! I remember there were 4 or 5 issues covering that character which involved the X-Men, and I just didn't enjoy it that much. It wasn't bad, but like you said, it started to get shaky. But right after that ended, the stories started getting better again IMO with Kingpin being allowed to walk the streets as a free man and Peter trying to prove he his guilty. Great stuff.

Then MJ's father reads her diary and finds out that she almost died at the bridge, and tries to break them up.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #77
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Oh yeah. Love all that kingpin stuff. And the MJ dramas. Ah so good.

Where are you at? Last time I read I finished Clone Saga. Haven't read much comics lately..

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #78
Picard Sisko

Right now I just finished reading volume 12, which collects issues #66-71. I hated the issue where Spider-Man and Wolverine switch bodies, but overall I'm still enjoying Ultimate Spider-Man. The quality isn't as good as the first 50 issues or so, but its still a good read.

I wasn't too happy with Gwen's death, not because Carnage was responsible, but because it happened so suddenly and left such a small impact compared to how it was handled in the 616 universe. I really did like the Hollywood storyline where they were filming Sam Raimi's Spider-Man film starring Tobey Maguire. I think they captured Avi Arad quite well if you ask me!

Coming up next is the Hobgoblin story arc... does anyone know if that is any good?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #79
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Hey Picard. Yeah, I never really cared much for the whole body switch line either. And of course the whole Gwen/Carnage arc is by far my least favorite in the series. Didn't like how it was handled.

IMO the Hobgoblin issues were pretty good. There's a couple of twists I rather enjoyed.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #80
Picard Sisko

Cool! I just ordered volumes 13-15 from eBay, so they should be coming in soon. Are there any story arcs after Hobgoblin that stand out to you?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #81
Picard Sisko

On a side note, I am currently reading Essential Spider-Man volume 4, and just finished issue #76. Great stuff.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #82
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Cool! I just ordered volumes 13-15 from eBay, so they should be coming in soon. Are there any story arcs after Hobgoblin that stand out to you?
Hmmm. I really enjoyed the clone saga. I also liked the stories surrounding Morbius and Deadpool. I'm trying to be vague cause I'd hate to spoil things for ya.

The blackout just refers to 2 different characters if you decide to read it. No details are in there.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #83
Picard Sisko

Cool, now I am really excited! Did you ever get to read USM volume 2 (shortly before Peter's death)?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #84
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

No, not yet. It's on my list.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #85
Picard Sisko

How far did you get up to? I took a quick glance at volume 2, and I really didn't like the artwork. Mark Bagely did such a great job IMO.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #86
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
How far did you get up to? I took a quick glance at volume 2, and I really didn't like the artwork. Mark Bagely did such a great job IMO.
Oh wait, I totally read that wrong. For some reason I was fixed on 'USM volume 2' and thought you meant the USM with Miles.

Ugh. I'm an idiot sometimes, lol. Yes, I did read the USM volume 2 prior to Peter's death. That's the stuff with Lafuente as the artist right? I really didn't like his style--it was too JAP animation-ey, if that makes any sense. I would have preferred either Bagley or Immonen. Pichelli is good too. I'm glad Bagley returned for the final issues surrounding Peter's death though.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #87
Picard Sisko

I apologize, I should have made my comment more clear!

Yes, I am referring to the Lafuente artwork, which I do agree is too much of a Japanese anime style to it. On a side note, how was the writing?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #88
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
I really enjoy the 2 part Morbius story from #95-96. That one just looks great, Bagley said it was one of his favorite storylines they did recently on the Superior Spider-Talk podcast. Death of A Goblin, Stuart Immonen's 1st arc on art was also a really great one.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Twitter. Instagram. YouTube. DeviantArt.
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #89
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
I apologize, I should have made my comment more clear!

Yes, I am referring to the Lafuente artwork, which I do agree is too much of a Japanese anime style to it. On a side note, how was the writing?
No need to apologize, the fault was mine. You laid it out pretty clear, I just misread it.

The writing was still good enough. I mean, it's still Bendis handling the writing so it kept in line with everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I really enjoy the 2 part Morbius story from #95-96. That one just looks great, Bagley said it was one of his favorite storylines they did recently on the Superior Spider-Talk podcast. Death of A Goblin, Stuart Immonen's 1st arc on art was also a really great one.
Def enjoyed the Morbius stuff. And I forgot about the Death of a Goblin--that one was really good.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #90
Picard Sisko

My biggest concern is writing, though I will still miss Mark Bagely's artwork. Did he do any artwork for other Ultimate titles?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #91
Blinkmt
Newbie First Class

I will not say the writing is bad, but there is a noticeable drop in quality compared to the previous Ultimate issues. Also, I really missed Bagley's artwork when he left. I remember being disappointed when i picked up the first issue with Immonen art.

I dont recall him working on other Ultimate titles.

Blinkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #92
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

I picked up the Death of Spider-Man storyline for about $15 (Prelude, Death, and Fallout)
Great storyline, but dang. I want Peter Parker back now.

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #93
Picard Sisko

There were still so many more stories to tell with Peter Parker, and killing him off just to have a new Spider-Man felt so unnecessary. It seems as if Marvel was pushing Miles Morales so they could seem more politically correct.

Right now, it feels like the new Spider-Man doesn't exist. Its a young kid who looks up to Spider-Man as a hero and is imagining himself taking over. That's how I see it in my mind...

Anyways, isn't the Ultimate universe coming to an end? Though it seems like Miles Morales is coming to the 616 universe (read the Spider-Men storyline).

Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #94
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Quote:
There were still so many more stories to tell with Peter Parker, and killing him off just to have a new Spider-Man felt so unnecessary. It seems as if Marvel was pushing Miles Morales so they could seem more politically correct.

Right now, it feels like the new Spider-Man doesn't exist. Its a young kid who looks up to Spider-Man as a hero and is imagining himself taking over. That's how I see it in my mind...

Anyways, isn't the Ultimate universe coming to an end? Though it seems like Miles Morales is coming to the 616 universe (read the Spider-Men storyline).
I doubt it. It's rumored, but the Ultimate universe has been rumored to be ending since it's inception. I agree though, Peter shouldn't have died. Him and MJ were finally getting that classic relationship they had always had in 616, Gwen was becoming a new interesting version of the character that we hadn't seen before, and Aunt May was bad a**. And Tony Stark and Peter were building a REALLY interesting rapport. It was great. Then they had to go and kill Peter. I like the idea, and the way he died was great, but it's comics. There is always a loophole. And, we don't have Peter in 616 anymore either. It sucks. Peter is the character I've always related to most and now there's nothing new with him except the animated series, and personally I really don't like the animated series based on what I've seen.

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #95
Picard Sisko

I really hope Peter Parker comes back in either Ultimate Spider-Man or in the 616.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #96
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:

For the life of me I don't understand why, but it really does feel like Marvel has it out for Parker doesn't it? He's gone, dead, kapuit and that's a huge shame to see him tossed aside. Miles is actually an interesting character and from what I've read Bendis has done some awesome stuff with him. But its hard for me to accept him because Peter was killed off so they could bring in Miles. Granted Peter's death would not have had the same impact but why couldn't Marvel introduced the character in another alternate reality? Like 2099 or Noir. Then we would have been able to completely enjoy the new take on the character without Peter's shadow looming over him. But then again that is the whole point of Miles's story so I dunno.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #97
Picard Sisko

I read the first few TP volumes of Miles Morales, and they are fine, but the whole time I am just saying to myself, "its not Peter Parker." I don't know if Marvel has it out for Peter, but they certainly haven't been treating him well. I think if they really hated him, they would have just stopped selling Spider-Man comic books altogether and would have ended it with the last issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man does give me hope that Peter will return.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #98
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
I really hope Peter Parker comes back in either Ultimate Spider-Man or in the 616.
My hope as well, bud.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #99
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Been reading your guys' back to back posts. I agree the first few volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man, maybe 1-5 are the best.

For me, it went eh around after volume 11 or so. But I loved Hobgoblin, Hollywood, and Silver Sable volumes.

Yeah Peter Parker back in USM would be right but totally wishful thinking. Ultimate is it's own thing so I can understand Peter being gone. As for Amazing, he NEEDS to be back. I stopped reading Superior issues ago.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #100
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
As for Amazing, he NEEDS to be back. I stopped reading Superior issues ago.
If he did come back, would that make you go back and read Superior? I'm reading it assuming he'll return, and enjoying the ride while it lasts

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote