The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man? (pre-Miles Morales)
5/5 22 51.16%
4/5 15 34.88%
3/5 2 4.65%
2/5 3 6.98%
1/5 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #101
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
If he did come back, would that make you go back and read Superior? I'm reading it assuming he'll return, and enjoying the ride while it lasts
Mm I mean more like Peter Parker being Spider-Man. No Ock in Peter's body with floating ghost. That's ALRIGHT and I understand the change, I really do, but it's just not my thing.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #102
oglop44
Newbie First Class

Can anybody tell me where the "Spider-men" mini-series is meant to take place in the continuity? I've just re-read both "Spider-men" and Miles Morales Spider-man 1-13 and I can't work out how it fits. I reckon it has to happen after issue 12 but it can't because issue 13 makes it make no sense. I'm baffled.

oglop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #103
Lord
All Mighty

Bendis, if you read Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates it gets even more complicated, with Fury out of SHIELD, when it comes to crossover and placing in multiple titles, Bendis is terrible, he's responsible for more than a half of the continuity errors in Ultimate Marvel

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #104
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Whatever the issue is where Miles has a web-shooter would be the story that takes place AFTER Spider-Men.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #105
oglop44
Newbie First Class

Well, if I remember correctly, Miles gets the web shooter from Aunt May in ish 13/14 which is portrayed as the first time they have ever met. So Spider-men must occur after this?

In Spider-men, Miles just plays with the web-shooter, I think.

oglop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #106
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I finally just finished all 160 issues of USM (plus the two requiem issues that bridge volume 1 & 2).

Overall, it was a great run. I think the relaunch was so/so since it really turned into a kids book, but Ultimate Spider-Man was a great series. I read some Miles Morales story lines, and I do think that they are okay. Just wish it didn't come as a result of Peter's death.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #107
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I finally just finished all 160 issues of USM (plus the two requiem issues that bridge volume 1 & 2).

Overall, it was a great run. I think the relaunch was so/so since it really turned into a kids book, but Ultimate Spider-Man was a great series. I read some Miles Morales story lines, and I do think that they are okay. Just wish it didn't come as a result of Peter's death.
Ha good to know. That's pretty much what I thought it'd be for the relaunch. It looks like a kid's book. So let me get this straight..The last volume isn't "Ultimatum"? The relaunch is where Peter's death is?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #108
Picard Sisko

I think volume 22 is "Ultimatum," then there are two standalone issues called "Requiem." After that are four more volumes that act as the "relaunch," which pretty much leads to the death of Spider-Man.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #109
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

I loved this series, the first comics I read.

It had alot of fantastic stuff with "Venom" being one of my favourite Spidey story arcs.

Dare I say it, I think this had several things that were better than in 616. Mary Jane's character for a start.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #110
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post

It had alot of fantastic stuff with "Venom" being one of my favourite Spidey story arcs.

Dare I say it, I think this had several things that were better than in 616. Mary Jane's character for a start.
I agree. I think the Clone Saga was also handled better than the 616.

There are pros and cons to each universe, so I love them both. USM is best for the first 39 volumes, then it becomes a roller coaster…. gets better, gets worse, etc. I wish Peter was never killed though.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #111
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
I think volume 22 is "Ultimatum," then there are two standalone issues called "Requiem." After that are four more volumes that act as the "relaunch," which pretty much leads to the death of Spider-Man.
Ah I see. So the relaunch you have to read. -___-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post

Yeah I liked the Venom arc. More so because of the backstory stuff

Old 12-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #112
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Ultimate Spider-Man to me is the best version of the character next to the Lee/Kirby/Ditko era that I've read.

It's also the first straight run of comics I've ever read. I'd like to thank my buddy for having every single TPB volume in his collection
I don't mean this to be a blanket statement, but I've never read one single criticism from people who hate this run boil down to anything other than "It's different...so by default it sucks."

I'm not saying every issue was perfect, nor am I say I think all the villains are equal to or better than their 616 counterparts, but as a whole I think those first 160 or whatever issues are incredibly strong with rich character work and drama, great humor and awesome artwork. It really is a perfect introduction to the character for new readers.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #113
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Ultimate Spider-Man to me is the best version of the character next to the Lee/Kirby/Ditko era that I've read.

It's also the first straight run of comics I've ever read. I'd like to thank my buddy for having every single TPB volume in his collection
I don't mean this to be a blanket statement, but I've never read one single criticism from people who hate this run boil down to anything other than "It's different...so by default it sucks."

I'm not saying every issue was perfect, nor am I say I think all the villains are equal to or better than their 616 counterparts, but as a whole I think those first 160 or whatever issues are incredibly strong with rich character work and drama, great humor and awesome artwork. It really is a perfect introduction to the character for new readers.
This.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #114
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Agreed. It gets you hooked quick. Especially "Power and Responsibility". It all goes uphill from there. I lent a friend that volume and he loved it. He got all the way up to Carnage and he's iffy about that one, but still that's a testament to the first few vols.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #115
Picard Sisko

Volumes 1-6 to be are perfectly solid. I can re-read them over and over again without getting tired of these stories.

Volume 7 featured the X-Men for the first time in USM, and it was OK. Volume 8 featured black cat and elektra, which was awesome.

Afterwards it kind of becomes a real roller coaster, with volumes going from fantastic to just god awful. But overall its a great series.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #116
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Volumes 1-6 to be are perfectly solid. I can re-read them over and over again without getting tired of these stories.

Volume 7 featured the X-Men for the first time in USM, and it was OK. Volume 8 featured black cat and elektra, which was awesome.

Afterwards it kind of becomes a real roller coaster, with volumes going from fantastic to just god awful. But overall its a great series.
I don't think I've read any god awful volumes. I'm at like Vol 20. Haven't bought any past Death of a Goblin. I've read some mediocre volumes. Which did you thjnk were god awful?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #117
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:

agreed. I enjoyed reading the villains in action. Green Goblin, Venom, Doc Ock, Kingpin, Shocker, Kraven, and Electro were some of my favorite Ultimate Spidey villains. Brian Michael Bendis made reading each issue enjoyable. I only wish he added more to some of the more "undeveloped" character who either got 1 or 2 solo issue(Sandman, Lizard/Doc Connors in a sense after Ultimate Carnage and his guest appearance in the Symbiote Wars), just appeared as a big supervillain cameo with no speaking part(R.H.I.N.O.) or just had virtually no solo comic(Kraven). It's fun to imagine what Brian Michael Bendis would have done if he had more time to delve into some of the Ultimates villain's lives.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #118
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
I don't think I've read any god awful volumes. I'm at like Vol 20. Haven't bought any past Death of a Goblin. I've read some mediocre volumes. Which did you thjnk were god awful?
Okay, maybe I exaggerated when I said, "God awful." Here are the ones I loved, liked, disliked or hated:

Volume 1-6: LOVED
Volume 7: Irresponsible --> Disliked
Volume 8: Cats & Kings --> Loved
Volume 9: Ultimate Six --> Liked
Volume 10: Hollywood --> Loved
Volume 11: Carnage --> Disliked
Volume 12: Superstars --> Hated
Volume 13: Hobgoblin --> Disliked
Volume 14: Warriors --> Liked
Volume 15: Silver Sable --> Liked
Volume 16: Deadpool --> Liked
Volume 17: The Clone Saga --> Loved
Volume 18: Ultimate Knights --> Liked
Volume 19: Death of a Goblin --> Liked
Volume 20: Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends --> Liked
Volume 21: War of the Symbiotes --> Liked
Volume 22: Ultimatum --> Liked

Relaunch:

Volume 1: The World According to Peter Parker --> Disliked
Volume 2: Chamelions --> Disliked
Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude --> Liked
Volume 4: Death of Spider-Man --> Liked

So I guess the only one I HATED was "Superstars." That included Peter and Wolverine switching bodies.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #119
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Okay, maybe I exaggerated when I said, "God awful." Here are the ones I loved, liked, disliked or hated:

Volume 1-6: LOVED
Volume 7: Irresponsible --> Disliked
Volume 8: Cats & Kings --> Loved
Volume 9: Ultimate Six --> Liked
Volume 10: Hollywood --> Loved
Volume 11: Carnage --> Disliked
Volume 12: Superstars --> Hated
Volume 13: Hobgoblin --> Disliked
Volume 14: Warriors --> Liked
Volume 15: Silver Sable --> Liked
Volume 16: Deadpool --> Liked
Volume 17: The Clone Saga --> Loved
Volume 18: Ultimate Knights --> Liked
Volume 19: Death of a Goblin --> Liked
Volume 20: Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends --> Liked
Volume 21: War of the Symbiotes --> Liked
Volume 22: Ultimatum --> Liked

Relaunch:

Volume 1: The World According to Peter Parker --> Disliked
Volume 2: Chamelions --> Disliked
Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude --> Liked
Volume 4: Death of Spider-Man --> Liked

So I guess the only one I HATED was "Superstars." That included Peter and Wolverine switching bodies.
Haha! I'm about the same on all your opinions on those minus a few. I actually enjoyed that three issue story arc. They even admitted that it was just an idea from an intern or something? I just thought it was funny and fun haha. Also liked Hobgoblin as well. Just that whole underground thing was awesome. But I'm also not too big a fan of all that like Iron Fist/Power Man/Moon Knight stuff..eh. Daredevil's cool though.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #120
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
Haha! I'm about the same on all your opinions on those minus a few. I actually enjoyed that three issue story arc. They even admitted that it was just an idea from an intern or something? I just thought it was funny and fun haha. Also liked Hobgoblin as well. Just that whole underground thing was awesome. But I'm also not too big a fan of all that like Iron Fist/Power Man/Moon Knight stuff..eh. Daredevil's cool though.
Really the only thing in the run I'm not big on myself. The rest is shockingly solid imo, for such a long run.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #121
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Really the only thing in the run I'm not big on myself. The rest is shockingly solid imo, for such a long run.
Just felt out of place and more of entertainment for fans of those characters.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #122
Picard Sisko

I just wish Peter Parker never died in that series.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #123
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
I just wish Peter Parker never died in that series.
Brian Bendis claims that one of the reasons that makes Ultimate, Ultimate, is that Peter isn't back and Spider-Man is someone else. Actually, he said something among those lines haha. I follow him on twitter and he has a tumblr where you can ask him questions.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #124
Picard Sisko

That just upsets me. There are still so many stories to tell with Peter and he just killed him off for a new character. The one good thing that comes out of it is that it gives him complete freedom to tell whatever stories he wants to tell.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #125
Lord
All Mighty

It's been a while but i remember the volumes of the relaunch being quite good, was only disapointed with the Death of Spider-Man arc, which was nothing special, just a huge brawl and Peter being kind of crazy in the moments before his death, which was Bendis tying his last words back to Uncle Ben

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote