The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which was the better movie?
Man of Steel by a mile 352 80.00%
Man of Steel....barely 39 8.86%
both equal in my eyes 15 3.41%
Superman Returns ...barely 23 5.23%
Superman Returns by a mile 11 2.50%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #151
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns - Part 1

I still enjoy Superman Returns....not as much as Man of Steel, but I do enjoy it

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #152
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
SR vs MOS- my thoughts.

Acting: MOS wins this by a mile, the best actor in SR is Kevin Spacey and honestly that is hardly his best work. Every character was better portrayed by their acting counterparts in MOS

Script: MOS. I honestly think SR had a very novel idea of having him 'return' to the screen and in the Superman universe. But it was very poorly executed and to lift the exact same plot from STM is just lazy. MOS, for me had a classic comic book plot, very good for an origin story same level as BB. People complain about the corny dialogue in MOS (where?) but SR had some horrible lines, "I'm always around." Really?

Music: MOS...omg. Anyone who didn't like the Hans Score..dunno what to tell you. John Ottman should only focus on editing or composing..not both in the same film, that is a bad decision by Singer. His score was very very very depressing.

Cinematography: MOS. SR was actually not bad, there were some very nice shots, but Snyder is known for this and is probably the best visual director in hollywood.

Romance: Here is where it gets interesting..I am actually going with MOS. Kate Bosworth is HORRIBLE. No chemistry between her and Brandon. The Superman in handcuffs interview with Lois is more romantic than any scene in SR. Just because you put two people close and play slow music doesn't emit romance...you need screen chemistry which they lacked. Same thing I feel about Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Superman: MOS. I'm sorry, I am a rabid Superman fan and I LOVED this Superman. This is the one I knew as a kid, I never felt like he didn't try to save people. I just felt like he was physically (finally) matched up so he couldn't just do everything. They made him a man, not a god. Thank you. SR..not so much...this Superman f***ed lois and then left earth without telling her for 7 years!? Yeah..okay.

Villains: MOS. Faora alone wins this category

I'm sorry, I just don't see how the two compare. SR made me defend Superman to friends who didn't like the character. MOS made those friends fans.
This about sums it up. Every single comparison comparing the two heavily favors MOS over SR, IMO. It's basically not even close for me. Superman returned in 2006 after a long hiatus to do the same exact thing when he left on the screen decades ago. What's the point in returning if you're going to do the same, boringly thing over and over again? What a letdown.

MOS has people talking, love it or hate it, there's heated debate as to why it's loved or why it's hated. Superman Returns left no room for the imagination and was only loved because it was a love letter to the Donnerverse....or HATED because it was a love letter to the Donnververse. Didn't leave room for much else when it came to the type of impact a movie needs to continue. ZzzZZZzzzzZZzz.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #153
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I still enjoy Superman Returns....not as much as Man of Steel, but I do enjoy it
Me too. I thought I won't.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #154
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Me too. I thought I won't.
I thought it was a fairly decent closure to the Donnerverse

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #155
Joshua_B
Banned User

As much as I like the Donner era, "Superman Returns" was way too much of a rehash. There was so little originality in it, and not nearly enough cleverness or action.

"Man of Steel" was a film that I felt very unsure of, from the moment I first learned it was being developed. When names like Goyer, Nolan, and Snyder were attached, I cringed, thinking it would be too dark and ambiguous. I still felt uneasy when I first sat down in the theater, not knowing what to expect...but the movie truly surprised and impressed me. I still think going with someone other than Zod would've been better for a reboot, but Michael Shannon's portrayal revamped all my previous ideas about that character.

As for including Batman so early for the sequel, I'm all the way back to "more cautious than optimistic" mode. Ben Affleck's proven he can do action with films like "Paycheck and "Daredevil", but I really don't want another cramped mess like "Spider-Man 3".

Joshua_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #156
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I thought it was a fairly decent closure to the Donnerverse
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but as much as I think doing giving closure to the Donnerverse would have been great, I don't think SRs achieved that. It ultimately ended with even more questions that it began with.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #157
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

SR was just Singer's love letter. I don't think he was trying to make a movie anyone but him and people like him would like.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #158
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
SR was just Singer's love letter. I don't think he was trying to make a movie anyone but him and people like him would like.
Pretty much but to be fair to him he made the film he wanted to make and stuck to his guns.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #159
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Pretty much but to be fair to him he made the film he wanted to make and stuck to his guns.
And for that....he has earned my eternal enmity.

edit: People can say what they want about MOS, but at least Snyder gave us something far better and superior to Singer's piece of crap called Superman Returns.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 01-12-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #160
sf2
Side-Kick

Lol. It's just a matter of taste. SR has its good points just like MOS. Like I said, SR is more blue and jazz while MOS is more rock and contemporary.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #161
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

That may be one way of looking at it Sf2, but I find Singer's whole premise to be pretty selfish. He was entrusted with resurrecting a beloved hero who had been absent from the screen for years, and instead of making something that would have highlighted and showcased his return in a big way... He gave us an art-house Superman flick.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #162
sf2
Side-Kick

Most directors r selfish. Lol.
I think their films are a kinda a reflection of their personality and characters. U know like synder, macho ism: the characters r mostly gutsy, like Martha replied to zod to go to hell and Lois drank the Scott in one shot. And the action is gutsy too. While singer is more melodrama and indecisive, like don't know how to say goodbye, don't know who she love and the father of her kid... and the action is orderly.

Just the suit n \S/ design, u already can see their style.

Arthouse? That's a high praise.

Last edited by sf2; 01-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #163
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Haha...I don't think it's high praise for a Superman film...lol. But you are right. Singer is known for that sort of melodrama. It's funny because before SR came out Matt told me this. I wish I could find the quote because that's exactly what he said Singer would do. I didn't believe him. I thought Singer could not be that selfish, but he was...

In hindsight I blame WB for not putting the brakes on him. And like I said, say what you want about Snyder, but I think he had the right take for the character. I didn't like everything he did, but at least his vision was more on point for what I think a Superman movie should be. Destruction, gutsy action, machosim and neck snapping be damned!

Last edited by charl_huntress; 01-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #164
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha...I don't think it's high praise for a Superman film...lol. But you are right. Singer is known for that sort of melodrama. It's funny because before SR came out Matt told me this. I wish I could find the quote because that's exactly what he said Singer would do. I didn't believe him. I thought Singer could not be that selfish, but he was...

In hindsight I blame WB for not putting the brakes on him. And like I said, say what you want about Snyder, but I think he had the right take for the character. I didn't like everything he did, but at least his vision was more on point for what I think a Superman movie should be. Destruction, gutsy action, machosim and neck snapping be damned!
At that point of time, WB was desperate. Singer was the best he could get, the fans agreed too. The concept and synopsis sounded good too.

Only during the production stage, things began to leak \intentionally.?/ fans began to worry... The bad suit design, the kid...
then... A year after the movie... fans began to admit singer is wrong for superman movie...

ya, i like macho ism in superman movie. Hopefully it'll blended well with mild-manner attribute.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #165
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Smile Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post

At that point of time, WB was desperate. Singer was the best he could get, the fans agreed too. The concept and synopsis sounded good too.

Only during the production stage, things began to leak \intentionally.?/ fans began to worry... The bad suit design, the kid...
then... A year after the movie... fans began to admit singer is wrong for superman movie...

ya, i like macho ism in superman movie. Hopefully it'll blended well with mild-manner attribute.
Yeah, I admit I was a huge supporter of Singer before SR. I thought he would be perfect because of his work with X-Men, and he was purported to be a huge Superman fan. I thought if anyone could resurrect Superman's film career it would have been him, but alas... it was a disaster.

I give Snyder credit where credit is due, but I also see the missteps in MOS. I hope Snyder and Goyer can improve those areas. I got my fingers crossed.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #166
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I wasn't really ever sold on Singer, I do think his X-Men films are good but I never felt he was great at delivering pulsating action scenes or great ceographed fights. Now he did pull off an amazing plane sequence but I think that was it really in terms of pulsating action.

The rescues in Metroplis at the end was going at a nice pace until he slowed it down with the globe catch (which came a few beats too early).

Now I do like SRs but it didn't set the pulses racing quite like other CBMs. Its why I'm worried for X-Men DOFP which should be about as epic as it gets.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #167
sf2
Side-Kick

Singer himself also didn't feel like he did a good job on SR. The trailer of Xmen DOFP only lists his usual suspect and Xmen.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #168
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Yeah and while Usual Suspects is his best film with it been a CBM you'd link the CBMs aswell as the directors best film. I think Singer definitely has regrets where Superman Returns is concerned. I'm really shocked the studio didn't put more pressure on him to add a supervillain though.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #169
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

They trusted him...and had faith...like a lot of people.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #170
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
They trusted him...and had faith...like a lot of people.
WELL THEY WERE A PACK OF FOOLS!

See what I did there

Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #171
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Hahaha....ya know though? He did seem like a good choice. I did have faith he could do it. In hindsight it all makes perfect sense that he was the wrong choice, but he did legitimately start a resurgence in CBMs, and X-Men was a decent flick. X2 was even better. I really thought he could do it... I really did.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #172
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Hahaha....ya know though? He did seem like a good choice. I did have faith he could do it. In hindsight it all makes perfect sense that he was the wrong choice, but he did legitimately start a resurgence in CBMs, and X-Men was a decent flick. X2 was even better. I really thought he could do it... I really did.
I was just happy a Superman film was been made back then honestly I wasn't that sold on Singer. I thought he'd give us great character moments and was just hoping we'd get good action. I don't really think he achieved either really at least consistently anyway, which is a shame.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #173
sf2
Side-Kick

I think the concept of SR has huge potential... but he explored on the wrong direction. Wait... He didn't explore it at all! But putting up another concept!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #174
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

At this point...I can't think of what he would have done differently with SR. People have mentioned keeping the return to Krypton footage, but I don't think that would have save it. From what I have heard and remember, it was just a depressing jaunt through ruins.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #175
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
At this point...I can't think of what he would have done differently with SR. People have mentioned keeping the return to Krypton footage, but I don't think that would have save it. From what I have heard and remember, it was just a depressing jaunt through ruins.
I mean the concept of superman returns after missing a few years and the world has moved on has huge potential. Too bad he focused on the most trivia things.