The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Default So What Would YOU Do To Survive A Zombie Apocalypse?

I'm not sure if this is really the right place to post this, but since The Walking Dead is kind of about this very subject, I figured I'd put it here anyway.

The title of the thread is pretty much self explanatory. If we were to really experience a zombie pandemic, what would you do in order to survive? Where would you go to seek shelter? How would you defend yourself?

Me? Well I would try and acquire a crossbow and as many crossbow bolts as I can reasonably manage. First, they're relatively easy to use. Much like shotguns, you just load, point, and shoot. Plus, I'm a pretty good shot, so I ought to be able to hit the zombies on the first or second try. Second, they're much quieter than firearms. I'd rather not be allerting every zombie within earshot of my exact location thank you very much. For close range fighting, I'd go with a sledgehammer, or maybe an axe. One strike to the head, then move on to the next one.

As for where I'd go? As a Canadian, I'd probably try heading north, maybe a small town in Alaska or The Yukon. The reason for this is traveling would be much safer during the winter months. I find it highly doubtful that any zombies would be able to move in subzero temperatures. They'd be frozen stiff, literally. Once in Alaska/The Yukon, I'd probably look for fellow survivors. I'd try the most secure buildings I can think of (prisons, court houses, schools, etc), especially those with fenced off yards.

My other option would be to head towards California. I'd go to a small fishing town and commandeer a boat. Then I'd load it up with gardening supplies (soil, fertilizer, seeds for fruits & vegetables), as well as fishing equipment, some empty beer kegs, and copper tubing. Then I'd sail to Alcatraz Island. Keep the gates to the courtyard closed and locked, and have people manning the guard towers. The courtyard itself would be converted into a vegetable garden (hense the gardening supplies). The San Francisco Bay will provide fish. And the kegs and copper tubing can be used to distill sea water into fresh drinking water.

Of course, all of this would be much easier if I had a group of fellow survivors willing to follow my lead.

So how about you guys?

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

Default Re: So What Would YOU Do To Survive A Zombie Apocalypse?

Assuming I'm at home when **** hits the fan. Barricade myself in my 2nd floor apartment & hold out til supplies run out. When I'm out, I'm out. Pack my stuff, drive to the police station (it's a block away from my apartment), salvage a firearm (a bat, a USMC knife from my brother would have been my only weapons up til now) from a dead cop or abandoned cruiser, salvage first aid kits & an axe from the fire department next door, stop by the market, restock & head out to a desert city like 29 Palms or something. Live it out.

Now, if I'm elsewhere. **** it. Straight to a desert city. Making stops along the way. Only weapons, the golf clubs & crobar in my trunk til I come across a police corpse or cruiser.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

I am dependent on life saving medications to stay alive. (grand mal seizures)
To be honest I'm not even sure I'd try.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ray View Post
Assuming I'm at home when **** hits the fan. Barricade myself in my 2nd floor apartment & hold out til supplies run out. When I'm out, I'm out. Pack my stuff, drive to the police station (it's a block away from my apartment), salvage a firearm (a bat, a USMC knife from my brother would have been my only weapons up til now) from a dead cop or abandoned cruiser, salvage first aid kits & an axe from the fire department next door, stop by the market, restock & head out to a desert city like 29 Palms or something. Live it out.

Now, if I'm elsewhere. **** it. Straight to a desert city. Making stops along the way. Only weapons, the golf clubs & crobar in my trunk til I come across a police corpse or cruiser.
Why a city in the desert? My choices are based partially on zombie lore I've read in books or seen in zombie films, and partially on common sense.

Zombies are dead, therefore have no body heat. In sub zero temperatures, they would freeze solid and become immobile. At least in theory any way.

I chose Alcatraz for two reasons. One, as a prison Alcatraz was virtually escape proof. If it's that hard to break out, it should be equally hard to break in. Also, it was a military base during the American War Of Independence, thus it should be very difficult to break in. Secondly, some zombie lore says that zombies cannot navigate water. If they wind up in water neck high, they flounder about. Of course, some others say that zombies can just walk along the bottom. But that's why it's important to keep the gates and doors closed and locked.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Evelisse
Exactly

guess it all depends on the zombie lore included, what rules apply, if we are talking rotting flesh eating zombies, it's all just a waiting game, if they keep decaying to nothing but bones, wouldn't they eventually be unable to move and eventually be done with? If that all applies, then I would think a hotter climate would only speed up the rotting process.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelisse View Post
guess it all depends on the zombie lore included, what rules apply, if we are talking rotting flesh eating zombies, it's all just a waiting game, if they keep decaying to nothing but bones, wouldn't they eventually be unable to move and eventually be done with? If that all applies, then I would think a hotter climate would only speed up the rotting process.

True. However in most zombie movies, as well as The Walking Dead, the virus that creates zombies somehow slows down the decomposition process. According to Max Brooks' book The Zombie Survival Guide, this is due to the fact that the insects, scavengers, and bacteria that accelerate the decomposition process won't touch the infected corpses, as their flesh is poisonous. Thus a body which would normally be nothing but bones after, let's say six months, would still be walking around and quite dangerous after a year or more.

But you are right in that surviving a zombie apocalypse would be a waiting game, regardless of the zombie lore in question. The only variable would be how long of a waiting game. But even if you were to choose a warmer climate, why the desert? Why not a tropical climate? Or at least a very warm temperate climate?

Again I point out my choice of Alcatraz Island. If the British TV miniseries Dead Air, and the zombie films Diary Of The Dead and War Of The Dead are right, zombies can't walk through deep water. And if you're smart enough to keep the fortress locked up (unlike the idiots in Zombie Uprising) it would be virtually impossible for the zombies to break in. Bring stockpiles of food, as well as the means to catch/grow your own food, and you can wait out the zombie apocalypse in relative safety and comfort. And the place can house a fair number of your fellow refugees as well.

As for heading to The Yukon or Alaska? As I mentioned in my opening post, zombies shouldn't be able to chase you through sub zero temperatures. Ever try moving the legs or wings of a frozen tukey or chicken? Damn near impossible, right? Now imagine all the zombies in the area being like that. You can walk past an entire zombie horde and they'll never even touch you because they'll be frozen solid. Of course, I'd take the opportunity to bury my axe into each of their skulls. Maximum carnage with minimum rist. Come spring, they won't be spreading their infection any further. They'll just fall where they stand.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Evelisse
Exactly

They probably meant to say deserted city.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

That's easy.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Why a city in the desert? My choices are based partially on zombie lore I've read in books or seen in zombie films, and partially on common sense.

Zombies are dead, therefore have no body heat. In sub zero temperatures, they would freeze solid and become immobile. At least in theory any way.

I chose Alcatraz for two reasons. One, as a prison Alcatraz was virtually escape proof. If it's that hard to break out, it should be equally hard to break in. Also, it was a military base during the American War Of Independence, thus it should be very difficult to break in. Secondly, some zombie lore says that zombies cannot navigate water. If they wind up in water neck high, they flounder about. Of course, some others say that zombies can just walk along the bottom. But that's why it's important to keep the gates and doors closed and locked.
Because the desert cities I've gone to are big opened area with small population compare to where I'm currently living. Wasn't thinking about zombie temp or anything. lol Thinking more along the line with less **** to deal with. There are a lot properties there sitting on hillside with the next closet property being about half a mile away.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ray View Post
Because the desert cities I've gone to are big opened area with small population compare to where I'm currently living. Wasn't thinking about zombie temp or anything. lol Thinking more along the line with less **** to deal with. There are a lot properties there sitting on hillside with the next closet property being about half a mile away.
My thinking of a Yukon or Alaska town were along the same lines. Small town, small population, minimal number of zombies. But then you still have the benefit of whatever zombies are around being frozen solid during the winter months.

But if you want a place with minimal population and maximum open ground, then I would suggest farm country. Somewhere like Saskatchewan or Kansas. Not only are your neares neighbors a couple miles away, but you'll have plenty of fertile farmland all around you to grow your own food and keep from starving.

But then again, baracading themselves in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere didn't exactly save those folks in Night Of The Living Dead.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

There are actually some farm country along the way to a desert city. My car breaks down along the way. I'm jacking myself a horse.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Really seems like your best bet would be to go to one of those huge national parks in the middle of nowhere. Fresh water, plenty of food, and if there are any zombies, it would be manageable numbers.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

I'd stock up on stuff and thaaaaaaaaaangs.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
I'd stock up on stuff and thaaaaaaaaaangs.

Me = Shane
Piper Maru = Otis

THAT is how I'd survive.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
tzarinna
С новым годом!

I'll have some solar charged night googles and move my ass only at night.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
Evelisse
Exactly

Guess with today's military, is it still such a sure thing that they'd all be wiped out by zombies? Seems to be par for the course in most zombie stories told. I mean the first few skirmishes, I could see some heavy losses til they figured the trick to taking them down, but would the worlds military fire power really go down so quickly? Cause if not, a military base still may not be a bad choice to go for shelter.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Me = Shane
Piper Maru = Otis

THAT is how I'd survive.
Yeah? And we all know what happened to Shane.

Let's talk about stuff and things. Let's talk about you and me. Let's talk about all the good thing and all the bad things that might be. Let's talk about stuff. Let's talk about thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelisse View Post
Guess with today's military, is it still such a sure thing that they'd all be wiped out by zombies? Seems to be par for the course in most zombie stories told. I mean the first few skirmishes, I could see some heavy losses til they figured the trick to taking them down, but would the worlds military fire power really go down so quickly? Cause if not, a military base still may not be a bad choice to go for shelter.
Yeah military bases would hold steady in reality. The ones in or next to a major city will just have a tougher time doing so.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Here's my "Home Protection Kit":

There's a lot of ammo backing each firearm shown, as well as two other handguns and an AR15 I am in the process of acquiring.

I also have a MUCH larger collection of knives and swords (including a real katana!) besides what's in the "kit."

First order of business would be to raid the Wal-Mart just down the street from my neighborhood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home.jpg (93.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Letīs say that the disease is like the one in the walking dead series. So we have a virus where ppl easily get infected. The zombies are also slow and dumb but very durable.

First of all, itīs all going to be about the beginning of the apocalypse. If an apocalypse like this were to happen then I bet that the majority of the population dies or turns within just a couple of weeks.
If one was able to survive 1 month, his chances would be much greater, that is ofc if he can take care of himself.

As I said itīs about the beginning. If I managed to see the signs just 1 day before most other ppl I would seize the moment.

1. Buy everything I needed to survive for atleast 2 months.
We talk pure nessecity. Food, shelter, knife, and things to make a fire with. Also a gun with silencer, if possible.

2. Drive off, dont wait for anyone. Explain to those you love, if they after serious conversation says no, just say goodbye and explain that you love them. Take a token,
photo gift or anything to hold on to in though times.

3. Head (if possible) appx 50-100km away to a place where you know how to get to. Head to middle of forest where you know there is a lake or atleast a stream. I would choose a not-so-well-known fishing lake.

4. At first, just find a place to put up your tent and survive. Donīt get in your car and drive away if you arenīt distrubed somehow. Just endure.

5. When you are down to 25% food (thatīs like 5 weeks after you left maybe) take the car, which still has much gas left in it and even more in the trunk, and scout.
Make sure that the roads are possible to use. Go back to your hometown and raid stores located in the edge of the city.

5. The second "shopping" should only be about getting items that will help you survive in the long run. Tools, weps, food but also books of survival and something to take your mind of things.

6. Go back, this time look for houses in the forests close to water. You would want to find a house that you could claim as your own.

7. Once some kind of building is in your position thatīs also in the forest and close to water, just make it better by constantly going on shoppin tours.
Make protocols for what you are supposed to do in case human or zombie comes visiting and so on. That easy xD

Last edited by Mightyally; 08-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Carr
Newbie First Class

I'd go with a duct tape suit. Nothing is getting thru that tape, well not unless they manage to develop super zombie teeth. I also like the idea of chopping the arms and jaw off of the dead to keep other zombies off my scent. If all else fails we have a lot of swords, so I guess keep swings and hope for the best.

Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #22
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Cardio
The Double Tap
Beware of Bathrooms
Wear Seat Belts
No Attachments
The “Skillet”
Travel Light
Get a Kick Ass Partner
With your Bare Hands
Don’t Swing Low
Use Your Foot
Bounty Paper Towels
Shake it Off
Always carry a change of underwear
Bowling Ball
Opportunity Knocks
Don’t be a hero (later crossed out to be a hero)
Limber Up
Break it Up
It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint
Avoid Strip Clubs
When in doubt Know your way out
Zipplock
Use your thumbs
Shoot First
A little sun screen never hurt anybody
Incoming!
Double-Knot your Shoes
The Buddy System
Pack your stain stick
Check the back seat
Enjoy the little things
Swiss army Knife

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
66 Face
Side-Kick

Stock up. Find a house with a second floor. Board it up, knock out the stairs and always have that safe zone to get to by rope climbing.

Then start a roof garden.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr View Post
I'd go with a duct tape suit. Nothing is getting thru that tape, well not unless they manage to develop super zombie teeth. I also like the idea of chopping the arms and jaw off of the dead to keep other zombies off my scent. If all else fails we have a lot of swords, so I guess keep swings and hope for the best.
Haha

Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

porn/cannabis/comics

I may not live long but I'd die happy.