The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
I_am_iron_man
Side-Kick

Default Marvel's short film to present new characters

This is from Latino Review, by the way an interesting idea:

Quote:
The Marvel movie universe is one of the most exciting things to happen to comic book fans in years. We've been given some good films like the first two Spider-Man movies and Blade, but most have been bad, like Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider. Lately the films have been getting better and better with superheroes being given individual movies (Thor, Captain America) that tie in to bigger features.

With Iron Man 1 and 2 having been huge critical and financial success stories for Marvel (and now) Disney, one of the big questions has been how they plan on introducing secondary characters to fans. Through straight-to-dvd live action movies? Animated films? Or just throwing them into bigger movies like The Avengers and Iron Man 3? If you'll recall, CHUD reported a couple of months ago on Marvel/Disney looking at doing smaller films in the $20 to $40 million dollar range. But now it appears as if they want to introduce the characters in a way that would still be effective and not as financially risky.

Got a scoop from a well trusted source that Marvel/Disney are looking at doing 10 minute short films in front of their feature length movies that will introduce secondary characters like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, etc.

I have no other information on this. Such as what movie they plan on starting this with (Avengers maybe?) or what character(s) they plan on introducing first.

File this scoop under 'rumor' for now until we can try and get more information on it. Personally I think it's a great idea. I think a short would generate interest in new characters that audiences aren't familiar with and Marvel/Disney can guage the reaction from fans if it's a project that can be made into a full length feature film or possible involvement/team-ups in bigger features.

Stay tuned to Latinoreview as we try and uncover more on what could be a very cool idea for the Marvel movie universe.
SOURCE: http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...rt-films-10263

I_am_iron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Default Re: Marvel's short film to present new characters

Not a bad idea at all. A short at the from of the films, kinda like what Pixar does/used to do with the release of each of their films like Cars and The Incredibles................cool!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
UnkillableMick
Over-analyst

Good way to introduce the Pyms prior to Avengers.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Silvermoth
Avenger

It'll be a good way to show new talent too. Maybe take some chances, find the next Neil Blomkamp?

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Ipodman
Love Tension

With people complaining that Iron Man 2 being too "crowded", I cant imagine what they will think about the Avengers with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr Strange, most possibly Ant Man and all the others blended in.

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Luke Cage in the style of Black Dynamite= Awesome.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Sounds like a great idea. Introduce a character, toss em a supporting role a little down the road, their own movie. Good way to pass over the more uninteresting origin stories too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
It'll be a good way to show new talent too. Maybe take some chances, find the next Neil Blomkamp?
Yes yes yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
With people complaining that Iron Man 2 being too "crowded", I cant imagine what they will think about the Avengers with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr Strange, most possibly Ant Man and all the others blended in.
It's not all about The Avengers, it's about the wider scope of the whole MCU. That's not the point of these.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Buttman
Son Of The Demon

Its a great idea in principle. 10 minute film establishing origins? Well, probably more like 1-3 minutes without a story really, just a way of setting a character up - but still, great.

I'd just rather not be in a situation when the shorts are made really low budget, then if they make the actual films they're tottally different, recast actor, different look and style, etc. I'd rather take no shorts then ones that just mess up continuity even more.

Buttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Marz69
Side-Kick

Great idea.

I wonder if this may be a result of the "Mortal Kombat" short that created a huge buzz.

Marz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

This is a pretty smart Idea

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Nightwing 52
Things change

This is a great idea. I like that Cage and Panther were mentioned because both can be really great films through their introduction.

With Black Panther, you can introduce to the audience the fact that the Black Panther mantle has been in T'Challa's family for generations stemming from the very first - his ancestor Beshenga. And how now after the current BP's death (his father), T'Challa takes it upon himself to defend Wakanda.

And like I've said before, Cage's story of turning his life around from his past after gaining his new abilities can be great if handled correctly.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I think Marvel/Disney is finding that the typical avenues of advertising are just not enough to promote a film anymore. I have no idea if this will be successful, but I applaud Marvel for trying something new and fresh.

Our society is changing, Tivo, Hulu, and the Internet have totally changed the way people watch television. Advertising dollars spent on Television are not nessisarily the smartest way to spend your advertising budget. Most are going to skip through the commercials or view limited commercials online.

This led to the 20 minutes of trailers before the movie. It used to be 15-20 years ago, you'd maybe see 3 or 4 2 minute trailers before a feature, now that has almost doubled, and it has cause most advertisers to "spill the beans" in the trailer leaving you with a feeling that you've seen all there is that needs to be seen.

Enter viral campaining. I'm not sure who did it first, my mind goes back to a film like Blair Witch, a low budget film that build up a bunch of internet buzz before anyone saw it on the screen with backstories, and made up legends. More recently films like the Dark Knight, and Iron Man 2 have used viral campaigning to give people more background on the characters in the film. It's nothing that if you don't see it, that will ruin the enjoyment of the movie, but it's a way to get people excited for the movie without revealing too much of the film.

So now we have this fresh new ideas. You can essentially build a 10 minute trialer that has no film footage in it. I think it's brilliant. It reminds me of all the "webisodes" on series like Battle Star Galactica, that show you more information on certain characters, and get you excited for the movie without revealing too much.

Marvel is quickly approaching the point where the not as well known characters will be hard to promote in traditional advertising and create the kind of buzz they got when it's a homestead name like Spider-man.

I look forward to seeing the first of these shorts, and I hope they work out, because I am one that never wants to see the end of Comic Book movie adaptations!

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
BlackLantern
Banned User

great idea...all for it

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Figs
Side-Kick

Sounds pretty cool but I wonder if they will get any actors like RDJ or Evans to make appearances so the general audience knows these other lesser known characters are part of the Marvel universe.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
BlackLantern
Banned User

the big red MARVEL title card really should cover that

Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
marcvader
Lurker #1

Hawkeye would be a good candidate for this.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
the big red MARVEL title card really should cover that
Hahaha! Yeah but if these are true shorts, a lot of shorts in the past just start up with out any title cards or logos. I'm sure they will have one for these but I was just wondering.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Spidey-Quad
Side-Kick

Love this! After all people waited till the end of IM 2 credits to see Thor's hammer Mjolnor. Ten minute shorts could be genious getting some info out of the way.

Christmas! (Cage)

Iron Fists!

Dr.Strange!

Black Panther!

Spidey-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

GREAT IDEA!!

shang chi

iron fist

power man/luke cage

black panther

dr. stange

I will add, there are some people who are worried you can't get across a character in 10 minutes, on the contray, if you ignore the origin and just show what that character can do and what he/she stands for then 10 minutes is plenty. if you can't fit in the basics of a character in 10 minutes then that character is too convoluted and not worth bothering with.

its a real pity fox owns x-men and sony own spidey as that is two movies already that wont have the 10 minute short

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
roach
I am the night

I like the idea but I think Dr Strange is a no brainer for a movie

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
BlackLantern
Banned User

any films involving magic that aren't Harry Potter FLOP and do so hard....The Sorceres Apprentice will have to do well to get the GA back on the magic train

Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
any films involving magic that aren't Harry Potter FLOP and do so hard....The Sorceres Apprentice will have to do well to get the GA back on the magic train
Yea and for awhile I had no intrest in this movie then I saw a trailer with A Team and it cought my attention

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
roach
I am the night

Quote:
what other magical movies have their been???

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebling$ View Post
Yea and for awhile I had no intrest in this movie then I saw a trailer with A Team and it cought my attention
I didnt realize it was a modern retelling of the Sorceror's Apprentice from Fantasia

Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I didnt realize it was a modern retelling of the Sorceror's Apprentice from Fantasia
Me either till I saw that new trailer and there was a scene where all the brooms,Mops and stuff come time life and my face went from bleh to