The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #51
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: 2013: The Re-Up (box office predictions) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I knew Kick-Ass 2 was going to fall from the first one. I was thinking 15-17mil instead of 13.58mil but I knew that it was not going to match or exceed the opening weekend gross of the original. And that Friday to Saturday drop is disastrous. I think the studio is over estimating that Sunday drop so I see it actually doing 13.2-13.4mil.

The Kick-Ass phenomenon was always a media and fanboy creation, those are the only people who love the first film. Hell even the first film didn't live up to all the media hype as it only opened with 19.8mil and ended with 48mil. There were no new openers vying for Kick-Ass 2's audience and it still couldn't hit 15mil.

It's not going to lose any money because it is low budget but unless it does exceptionally well overseas for the type of film it is all the bloom is off of this franchise. I know I'm kinda ranting but this rant was 3 years in the making. I wonder if a 3rd will be made?

The Butler did well, better than I thought it would. I think it looks lousy but go black people.

We're the Millers is doing great. I'm thinking it's going to pass the Hang Over 3 and be the second highest grossing comedy of the Summer...domestically.

Elysium's drop is lame and disappointing which is kinda fitting because the movie was lame and disappointing.

Don't care about Planes and Percy Jackson will drop like all get out when all the tweens see The Mortal Instruments. I still don't think it's going to do great but it's probably going to do well enough to hurt Percy. Domestically even if Percy isn't hurt by the latest Tween film it's still not going to do as well as the first film.

Jobs had a low budget so it's not really a failure but it's not a success either. It looked terrible and was starring Kelso so it's lucky it did that well. That 3.5mil for Paranoia is humorously disastrous. Even a generic movie like it should have hit 8mil, especially with all the marketing that went into it.

The Wolverine only did okay here in the states. It stopped the bleeding this weekend, which is good but it's too late. Fox should take the performance of the film in the states to heart and not just pimp Wolverine during the promotion of the next film.
I agree with all of this. I think there will be a Kick Ass 3. They're cheap to make, they've both been pretty good and Millar and Vaughn have some clout over at Fox

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #52
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Thanks for appreciating my analysis but I don't think a sequel it's set in stone. They will have to lower the budget if they do make a sequel because a 3rd is guaranteed to do worse domestically.

Personally I didn't like Kick-Ass and the dismally reviewed sequel wasn't going to get my money if I didn't even like the well reviewed one with the better director. I am happy for the fans who enjoyed the films but I'm still annoyed at the over the top coverage of such a niche franchise.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Will all this flopping mean more mid budget flicks?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #54
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

^I hope so. Filmmakers are more creative, interesting when they don't have money to burn.

BTW, After a lousy first quarter Warners really had a very good summer. The Great Gatsby, Man of Steel, The Conjuring, We're the Millers. All hits and only two of them had big budgets.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #55
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Well, at least Thor TDW won't have stiff competitive cuz it appears low budget and superhero/CBM fatigue is setting in.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #56
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Well, at least Thor TDW won't have stiff competitive cuz it appears low budget and superhero/CBM fatigue is setting in.
People always say this after a lukewarm comic book year (like 2011), then the next year completely blows those assertions.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #57
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You can't predict this stuff as accurately as you used to.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

There is no Superhero movie fatigue. People say this every other year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #59
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
People always say this after a lukewarm comic book year (like 2011), then the next year completely blows those assertions.
This was a lukewarm comic book year? One of those comic book movies grossed over 1.2 billion dollars this year.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #60
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

People have their standards way too high. Iron Man 3 made good numbers. Man of Steel making a billion was always just talk and the movie grossed big numbers (not as big WB wants once again), and The Wolverine is an example of franchise fatigue especially when his first solo movie was terrible. Days of Future past will be the move to test X-Men's popular that will either disappoint or get the X-Men franchise back to it's highs of popularity.

Quote:
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 08-18-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #61
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

A third in a series grossed over a billion and a reboot grossed 650mil and we are suffering from comicbook movie fatigue??? I wish we were because I want different kinds of movies but we aren't.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
To be honest, if you have 5-6 CBMs a year there'll be some sort of fatigue. As of right now, the genre isn't being affected that greatly yet.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #63
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
This was a lukewarm comic book year? One of those comic book movies grossed over 1.2 billion dollars this year.
True. I guess Wolverine was the only one that disappointed. Depending on one's perception. It still made back its modest budget I think.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #64
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

The Wolverine never really seemed to generate much buzz in the months prior to release. It was always the forgotten comic book film of the year. Thor received more hype and it isn't out for months.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #65
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Still quite successful considering its budget.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #66
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Yeah, there's no fatigue at all.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #67
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Still quite successful considering its budget.
Well that's good, since I also think it might be the best superhero film of the summer.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #68
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Not at all. I dont think there is any evidence of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
There is no Superhero movie fatigue. People say this every other year.
This.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #69
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Yeah, there's no fatigue at all.
2015 will be a great test. No genre is untouchable after all.

Take a look at the UFC. Oversaturation has caused the company's popularity to plateau. More isn't always better.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #70
Liam_H
Side-Kick

It depends on CB movies that people want to see. Avengers 2, Batman/Superman etc. Don't think anyone cares for a FF reboot at this point.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #71
Heretic
Side-Kick

It isn't superhero fatigue...it's blockbuster fatigue...and the studios are pumping out more and more superhero "blockbusters." I love Sci-Fi, Horror and fantasy movies...and I haven't bothered to see over half the genre films that have been released to theaters. People can't get excited about movies when we are being told that we should be excited about 2 films per week. Heck, we just went a THREE WEEK period with FIVE comic book based movies released!!! I just can't care enough about that many movies to spend that much money. It doesn't help that the best movies I've seen this year have been straight to DVD films. The constant hype for dozens of films is starting to wear thin, and if people aren't genuinely excited, they are staying home.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #72
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I hated how many movies came out this summer. There were way too many films and that's why we have seen so many disappointments and flops. People are not made of money. I guess the studios won't care because this will be a record summer for the box office.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #73
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I'm kinda not surprised at Kick-Ass 2 failing to be honest. There was a certain novelty factor with the first film that I don't think was ever going to be replicated. The idea of a satire of the superhero genre as well as an 11 year old going around and killing people was enough to get my money first time around. The fact the sequel isn't a satire and said 11 year old is now bordering on becoming a young adult kinda takes away that novelty. It comes out here this week and I'll probably end up seeing it because I almost feel obligated due to how much I enjoyed the first film.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #74
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Sorry, but I don't think there is Superhero fatigue, at all.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #75
jmc
callin' it like I see it

It will happen eventually.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote