The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #76
The Silent Traveler
Side-Kick

Default Re: 2013: The Re-Up (box office predictions) - Part 1

Although superhero movies are not my type, in my opinion, the audience wouldn't get tired of them yet. They will enjoy these superhero movies as long as the qualities are good or great.

The Silent Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #77
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

People have complained superhero fatigue in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and now, but this superhero fatigue and decline still has not happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
Although superhero movies are not my type, in my opinion, the audience wouldn't get tired of them yet. They will enjoy these superhero movies as long as the qualities are good or great.
Why are you on a superhero forum based around superhero movies?

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #78
Heretic
Side-Kick

The difference now is that even comic book fans are starting to skip movies. There was a time when I never would have skipped Red 2, 2 Guns, R.I.P.D. etc because I wanted to support all comic book films (though I likely would have skipped Smurfs 2 even then). Now, I'm even skipping movies that any other year I would have been excited about (such as The Wolverine and Kick Ass 2). It doesn't help that I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel. But again, I don't think that it is necessarily just a superhero thing...more like a genre thing. People stayed away from Lone Ranger and other big budget supposed tent pole releases as well.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #79
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I see people talking about how the World Cup will affect BO numbers for next year' summer season? What do you think?

Last edited by MrMaooz; 08-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #80
The Silent Traveler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
People have complained superhero fatigue in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and now, but this superhero fatigue and decline still has not happened.

Why are you on a superhero forum based around superhero movies?
Well, the audience are still watching them anyways. Even with these sequels out there, they still would watch them no matter what.
If people complain of superhero fatigue, they would make a choice not to watch it, that's simple. In the result, superhero movies might be stopped.
I just like to state my opinion on this forum.

The Silent Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #81
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
The difference now is that even comic book fans are starting to skip movies. There was a time when I never would have skipped Red 2, 2 Guns, R.I.P.D. etc because I wanted to support all comic book films (though I likely would have skipped Smurfs 2 even then). Now, I'm even skipping movies that any other year I would have been excited about (such as The Wolverine and Kick Ass 2). It doesn't help that I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel. But again, I don't think that it is necessarily just a superhero thing...more like a genre thing. People stayed away from Lone Ranger and other big budget supposed tent pole releases as well.
That's not fatigue, that's just the market growing sufficiently big that it actually differentiates. If you need every comic book fan to go to *every* comic book movie, than you are doing something wrong.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #82
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It will happen eventually.
Yep. It's not like studios are releasing three CBMs a year. I mean, think about all CBMs that are due out the next two years (Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, Fantastic 4 reboot, Captain America 2, Amazing Spiderman 2, etc). Whether it be 'blockbuster' or franchise fatigue, CBMs eventually will be affected. It's why I'm enjoying and appreciating the Golden Age for as long as I can. The inevitable drop isn't as far as some think.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #83
dark_b
Side-Kick

superhero fatigue started with me with MOS. the final battle was my dream since 2003 when i watched matrix 3. but i didnt care. i saw way to superhero movies. i watched in my life way to many blockbusters. i saw everything a human can put on screen. everything. story and good acting is all whats left for me.

but still no WonderWoman. 2013 and so many blokcbusters are realesed every year. we had a guy dressed as bat,a guy with spider webbings inside his wrists,a guy with blue pajamas and red boots who can fly, a guy who is green and big robots who transform to cars. right now they are making a comicbook movie with a talking raccoon. but no WonderWoman. hollywood the last place where stupidity is a disease

Last edited by dark_b; 08-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #84
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The difference now is that even comic book fans are starting to skip movies.
Not all comic book fans are fans of all comic books, and their movies. I knew X-men fans not going to see Spider-man and vice versa back in 2000-2004. It is expected and does not speak to anything.

Quote:
superhero fatigue started with me with MOS. the final battle was my dream since 2003 when i watched matrix 3. but i didnt care.
Or perhaps your lack of care had to do with execution than any sort of tiredness at the overall genre. It's not an accident that many a people felt completely numb throughout the entire scene of that film.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #85
:eek:
Side-Kick

'Pacific Rim' is Bigger in China than in North America on August 19, 2013

Pacific Rim is a bigger film in China than in North America. The Guillermo del Toro tentpole hit the $100 million mark in China over the weekend while still lagging behind the nine-figure milestone in North America.
Pacific Rim grosed $14.6 million from 2,100 screens in China, a strong hold that only dips 25% from its previous frame. Pacific Rim is now the sixth highest MPA release of all time in China, overtaking Marvel's The Avengers and Kung Fu Panda 2. Pacific Rim is the highest grossing Warner Bros. release of all time in China.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #86
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Some people say Star Wars might take over the Superhero genre as the cool "nerdy" thing.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #87
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Some people say Star Wars might take over the Superhero genre as the cool "nerdy" thing.
Who says that? Star Wars had its time in the spotlight. No matter how great the new movies are, Star Wars will not replicate its cultural prime.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #88
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

^Idk, I see people post it on the internet. I mean it does have potential to take over again.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'm kinda not surprised at Kick-Ass 2 failing to be honest. There was a certain novelty factor with the first film that I don't think was ever going to be replicated. The idea of a satire of the superhero genre as well as an 11 year old going around and killing people was enough to get my money first time around. The fact the sequel isn't a satire and said 11 year old is now bordering on becoming a young adult kinda takes away that novelty. It comes out here this week and I'll probably end up seeing it because I almost feel obligated due to how much I enjoyed the first film.
I was surprised we even got a Kick-Ass 2 in the first place. I thought the first one didn't do all that well at the box office.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #90
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Tripled its budget WW so it did well enough.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #91
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

edit

Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #92
Side-Kick

Top 20 worldwide

1. Iron Man 3 $1212,8 million
2. Fast & Furious 6 $785,5 million
3. Despicable Me 2 $781,8 million
4. Monsters University $658,6 million
5. Man of Steel $649,2 million
6. The Croods $583,3 million
7. World War Z $517,7 million
8. Oz The Great and Powerful $491,9 million
9. Star Trek Into Darkness $453,7 million
10. Pacific Rim $384,5 million
11. G.I. Joe: Retaliation $371,9 million
12. The Hangover Part III $351 million
13. The Wolverine $335,9 million
14. The Great Gatsby $331 million
15. A Good Day to Die Hard $304,7 million
16. Oblivion $286,2 million
17. Now You See Me $274 million
18. Epic $252,3 million
19. After Earth $245,1 million
20. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters $225,7 million

Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #93
Side-Kick

CHINA: 'Jurassic Park 3D' Posts Big $6.6M Opening Day

on August 22, 2013
Universal reports the reformatted edition of Jurassic Park took in $6.64 million in its opening day in China on Tuesday. That figure is the fourth highest opening day of the year for a U.S. release in the market, behind Iron Man 3 ($19.1M), Pacific Rim ($8.6M), and Fast 6 ($8.3M). Jurassic Park 3D posted a better opening day performance than Man of Steel ($6.2M) and The Hobbit ($5.6M). China has been a graceful home for 3D conversions of past hits, Titanic 3D opened to $11.2 million in 2010. Film Business Asia is reporting that the big opening comes from occupying one third of the market's screens, a factor that should equate to cuts in box office revenue across the board.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #94
Side-Kick

ONE DIRECTION FILM SET TO TOPPLE BOX-OFFICE RECORD

August 21, 2013
British bookmakers Ladbrokes are offering 4-1 odds that a concert documentary, This Is Us, featuring the boy band One Direction, will break the British box-office record of $160 million set by the James Bond movie Skyfall last year. The film, directed by Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) premiered in London Tuesday night, attracting hordes of the group’s fans. Jessica Bridge, a spokesperson for Ladbrokes, predicted that it will also win Britain’s BAFTA award, the British counterpart of the Oscar, for Outstanding Debut.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #95
Side-Kick

Global: 'Despicable Me 2' is Universal's Most Profitable Film of All Time, Crosses $800M

on August 24, 2013
Despicable Me 2 is the second-highest grossing film of the year at the global box office. Universal announced today that the Minions sequel crossed the $800 million mark at the global box office, reaching a worldwide cume of $801.3 million after Friday's results. Despicable Me 2 has grossed $349.9 million in North America and $451.1 million at the overseas box office. It is the highest grossing animated release of the year and ranks seventh of all time in the same category as far global numbers are concerned. Perhaps the highest accolade for the sequel is its current standing as the most profitable film in Universal's history.
Despicable Me 2 is already the biggest film of the year in the U.K. and Mexico. The Minions still have some distance to go in order to overtake Jurassic Park's $921.6 million to become the highest grossing film of all time for Universal.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #96
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
The majority of the audience aren't even aware that any of these are based on comics.

Also "comic book" isn't a genre. A History of Violence, Ghost World and Iron Man 3 have nothing to do with one another. Asking if people will get tired of movies based on comic books is like asking if people will get tired of movies based on novels.

Last edited by redhawk23; 08-25-2013 at 01:49 AM.
redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #97
Side-Kick

Jurassic Park joins the billion dollar club:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $402,453,882 40.1%+ Foreign: $602,100,000 59.9%= Worldwide: $1,004,553,882

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #98
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Thanks to China Universal finally joins the club.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #99
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

So The Mortal Instruments is the latest Twilight knock-off to tank. 14mil after five days is terrible. Good luck on that sequel filming in September guys. The movie is going to have to make a ton overseas to make up for it's domestic performance. Unless it has amazing legs after it's 9mil opening weekend.

I have nothing against Lily Collins but I wish Hollywood would stop trying so hard to make her happen, she isn't Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Stewart. She's a cute girl but she's bland and her buzz is 100% media manufactured. I'm not sure about her acting skills because I've only seen her in nothing roles but she isn't exactly getting demanding or respectable roles. That cannot be argued. If she happens fine but shlock like The Mortal Instruments isn't going to turn her into a big deal. I love her eyebrows though.

You're Next got good reviews but it looked like the most bland horror movie of all enternity so nobody showed up. Good thing the budget was tiny.

The Butler and Miller's had great drops. The Butler is going to need more fantastic holds to make it to 100mil. It has a shot but it's going to be tough. It is already a hit though. I'm not interested in either of the films but it's nice seeing films with black leads like 42 and The Butler doing well. Even Fruitvale Station did well in relation to it's tiny budget. It didn't break out but it did okay enough. BTW the last 20 minutes are absolutely heartbreaking and had me almost crying.

The World's End did well for what it was and I'm satisfied because it is a good film.

I don't understand how Kick-Ass 2 dropped 68% as it only opened with 13.3mil? Even R.I.P.D had a better drop than that. I can understand a 60% drop because of The World's End and sequel frontloading but 68% when it opened with nothing? That's surprising. I think it's doing better overseas which is the only good news for the film at this point. Boring weekend overall and I think it will continue to be boring until Insidious 2 is released.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #100
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

That One Direction thing is going to knock it out the park before the month ends. I shudder at the mere concept of that movie, but whatever.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote