Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #251
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Still doesn't explain how it got in him.
She did it when she kissed him.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #252
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

A total vast improvement from Origins! The films that were referenced for inspiration/model are very present. An excellent blend of Western and Eastern! I have not yet seen Shane, which was mentioned as a model, but I did, however, find certain echoes of Once Upon A Time In The West. Jackman gives his best portrayal or Logan ever! Very nice chemistry between him and Tao Okamoto's Mariko. Like TDKR, it's a little more epic-movie than comicbook-movie. Loved the mid-credits scene!!

Last edited by rogue trooper; 07-26-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #253
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Still doesn't explain how it got in him.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Viper kissed him and before that, Wolverine was sleeping with that green smoke beside him and that green smoke probably came from Viper.

And when Viper talked to Harada, she said that Wolverine's flesh is weak now and that she was responsible for it.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #254
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

So I just got back from seeing it and I have to say I really loved the film. I felt this was truly the Wolverine film as a fan, I've been waiting my whole life to see. I like many others only had some issue with parts of the 3rd act but overall I loved the whole film, and I was more than impressed I don't think I expected it to be as good as it was.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #255
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Viper kissed him and before that, Wolverine was sleeping with that green smoke beside him and that green smoke probably came from Viper.

And when Viper talked to Harada, she said that Wolverine's flesh is weak now and that she was responsible for it.

The green smoke was coming out of her mouth in that scene too. So they were drugging him with the smoke so she could get to him.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #256
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I didn't like the third act.
I hated Wolverine getting his adamantium claws chopped off. I hated the old yashida in the adamantium samurai gundam siphoning Logan's healing factor.
Even though I liked the movie...I was a little lost there. Like, I can sit here and fill in the blanks for myself and make it all work, but at the time it just came of as ....WHY? And even now, it still feels a bit clunky.

I can understand how Yashida wanted to build an adamantium suit in the event Logan wouldn't agree to transferring his healing factor and Yashida needed to defeat him. Except, he ends up sending Harada and the ninjas to capture Logan. It just seems a little weak narratively given that this is part of what put his company into financial trouble thus driving Shingen to his own crazy antics.

Also we're not really told HOW this transferring procedure works, so there's no suspense around it when Yashida starts drilling into Logan's bone claws. I was like, wait, is he sucking out the adamantium? Oh wait, he's de-aging, so it's the healing factor.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #257
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The green smoke was coming out of her mouth in that scene too. So they were drugging him with the smoke so she could get to him.
Yeah that's part of her role in the movie.

Yashida ordered Viper to make Wolverine weak, so they could beat/capture Wolverine easily and steal his healing powers.

I just wish they developed their relationship more.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #258
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Yeah I was a tad surprised how much I enjoyed myself. It was nice to watch a film about a superhero that was more a dramatic adventure than a full blown "action" film.
Hugh the Jack man. I've always loved him and damn does he embody the role so well.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #259
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Yeah that's part of her role in the movie.

Yashida ordered Viper to make Wolverine weak, so they could beat/capture Wolverine easily and steal his healing powers.

I just wish they developed their relationship more.
So wait....she drugged him and repressed his healing factor in order to keep him unconscious and surgically implant that device so it would keep his healing powers at bay THEN somehow his healing factor did it's job and healed up from the surgery so he wouldn't know what happened and THEN his healing powers were turned off by the device inside him once more? Is that right? Doesn't seem too kosher to me.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #260
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
My issue is that words mean things. I know, it's a pet peeve of mine. But don't go calling something indestructible if it's so relatively simple to destroy. At the very least, destroying the seemingly indestructible should be a big deal. Otherwise it loses any heft it may have had.
Yeah, I can understand it, but it also makes logical sense. It's indestructible against anything...except more alloy of the same strength. And it's not like it's easy to come by, Yashida spent tons of money buying all of it.

It's just simple logic. You take two items of the same density level, with the exact same makeup and start smashing them together and they're going to damage each other. Now, you take two items made of that same material, but have one item be ten times bigger and heavier, and super heated, and smash it against an item that's much, much smaller, and it's going to break the smaller item. That makes sense.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #261
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So wait....she drugged him and repressed his healing factor in order to keep him unconscious and surgically implant that device so I would keep his healing powers at bay THEN somehow his healing factor did it's job and healed up from the surgery so he wouldn't know what happened and THEN his healing powers were turned off by the device inside him once more? Is that right? Doesn't seem too kosher to me.
No...

...they drugged the smoke in his room, so that when he was asleep she could sneak up on him. He was hallucinating Jean, but he was actually kissing Viper, and that's how she got the bug-thing into his throat, which attached itself to his heart and supressed his healing factor. He found the bug when they returned to Yashida's place and he noticed the bugs were missing from the jars he saw at the beginning of the movie (he also saw on the x-ray that there were similar bugs on Yashida's heart). He used the x-ray to make sure that the bug was on his own heart, which it was.

He did the surgery without his healing factor, which is why he flat-lined during it, and why Yukio had had a vision of him dying. But he had managed to get the bug out before he passed out, and his healing factor came back and saved him. He didn't lose his healing factor again, once he'd gotten the bug out.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #262
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
So wait....she drugged him and repressed his healing factor in order to keep him unconscious and surgically implant that device so it would keep his healing powers at bay THEN somehow his healing factor did it's job and healed up from the surgery so he wouldn't know what happened and THEN his healing powers were turned off by the device inside him once more? Is that right? Doesn't seem too kosher to me.
I assume that somehow she implanted the device into his mouth and it moved through is body until it got to his heart.

The issue I have though, is that we didn't need Viper for any of that. A Yashida lackey could have done it easily, especially since the item that repressed his healing ability wasn't specific to Viper anyways! It was some nano-tech thing, so it easily could have been one of Yashida's inventions.

Viper's character wasn't needed, at all.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #263
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I assume that somehow she implanted the device into his mouth and it moved through is body until it got to his heart.

The issue I have though, is that we didn't need Viper for any of that. A Yashida lackey could have done it easily, especially since the item that repressed his healing ability wasn't specific to Viper anyways! It was some nano-tech thing, so it easily could have been one of Yashida's inventions.

Will Yun's character is one character i think was a complete waste of film reel. Pity, i like the actor. I liked Viper in it, because other than her and Logan, there wasn't any real indication of 'mutants' with extreme abilities in the film.

It would have been nice if they had mentioned 'The Cure' from X3 at some point, seeing as how this takes place after that. It would have been perfect for this film, seeing as how Logan wanted to be mortal...and the cure would have made him normal.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #264
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Viper was not needed at the end of the day. I thought she was a "fine" villain side kick however. I think Svetlana Khodchenkova did a good job with what she was given with
*Though when she became bald ? Thought that looked ridiculous*

Last edited by ConnorKon-El; 07-26-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #265
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Will Yun's character is one character i think was a complete waste of film reel. Pity, i like the actor. I liked Viper in it, because other than her and Logan, there wasn't any real indication of 'mutants' with extreme abilities in the film.

It would have been nice if they had mentioned 'The Cure' from X3 at some point, seeing as how this takes place after that. It would have been perfect for this film, seeing as how Logan wanted to be mortal...and the cure would have made him normal.
I would have been fine cutting Viper and Will Yun's character completely and giving more time to Shigen to make him the proper "big bad." I think that would have helped the film quite a bit.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #266
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Another thing I didn't like about the third act, how quickly Harada had a change of heart.

Spill

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #267
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Hmmm I'm not sure if the film would have improved if they replaced Viper with a human doctor like Kavita Rao in X3 and the female doctor in Origins. Viper was the SS's right hand, her role in the climax just wasn't executed well.

For me, Harada is the weakest link and I think if they made him a mutant like Sunfire (of course his name in the film would have been different) and they didn't make him a potential love-interest or a protector to Mariko, he would have been more interesting and there would be more use to him. There would have been suspense if he's chasing Mariko/Wolverine and if he's trying to hurt both of them. A 1 on 1 scene between him and Logan could have been awesome after the ninja fight scene. And instead of throwing ordinary arrows, how about flame arrows. And Yashida has a fascination with mutants, so I think it would make sense why he recruited Harada in the 1st place. To me, it made perfect sense, why he got Yukio and Viper to work with him. He was using mutants for his advantage.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 07-26-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #268
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Another thing I didn't like about the third act, how quickly Harada had a change of heart.
The credits started rolling and I started walking out of the theater room and thought to myself, man that last act breezed by and alot went on. It was satisfying but it didn't really build up to anything. However
I loved how Logan's character actually went through a series of events and came out a different individual. It was nice that he was back to his roots with the bone claws and he had a purpose again. His passion as a solider was re-ignited

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #269
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
seeing as how Logan wanted to be mortal...and the cure would have made him normal.
I don't think Wolverine wanted to be mortal in the 1st place.

I think Yashida was just using Wolverine's loneliness as an excuse so he could get Wolverine's healing powers.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #270
Loki882
Side-Kick

I'd rank it second behind X2. Yukio was AWESOME, I must see more of that red-haired Asian badass goddess (X-Force perhaps).

Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #271
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hmmm I'm not sure if the film would have improved if they replaced Viper with a human doctor like Kavita Rao in X3 and the female doctor in Origins. Viper was the SS's right hand, her role in the climax just wasn't executed well.

For me, Harada is the weakest link and I think if they made him a mutant like Sunfire (of course his name in the film would have been different) and they didn't make him a potential love-interest or a protector to Mariko, he would have been more interesting and there would be more use to him. There would have been suspense if he's chasing Mariko/Wolverine and if he's trying to hurt both of them. A 1 on 1 scene between him and Logan could have been awesome after the ninja fight scene. And instead of throwing ordinary arrows, how about flame arrows. And Yashida has a fascination with mutants, so I think it would make sense why he recruited Harada in the 1st place. To me, it made perfect sense, why he got Yukio and Viper to work with him. He was using mutants for his advantage.
I didn't care about having more mutants in the film. In fact, I would have been happy if Wolverine was the only mutant in it. He was in the original story.

I'm saying I think they should have eliminated Viper and Yun's character's completely. So in the film Wolverine visits the old man, and the next day, suddenly his healing factor is going wonky, without knowing how the heck it happened. It would be revealed at the end that it was Yashida tech that did it.

Though, if I had a magic wand and could redo parts of this movie, then I also would have taken out the twist with the old man and made Shingen the main villain, and added some of the wonderful personal drama that existed between Shingen and Wolverine in the original story.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #272
Loki882
Side-Kick

I liked how Logan was at his most badass, yet also his most vulnerable at the same time. Really liked how they used Jean as well.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #273
Snikt
Side-Kick

Well guys, I've seen it twice in the last 24 hours...gotta say I freaking LOVED it .

Solid 8/10 for me. Hugh was at his best in this film. Wolvie really seemed like a grumpy, pissed off guy who had no time for anyone's BS...but as always, he had moral code of justice.

For me, the best sequence was the fight between Wolverine and Shingen. Absolutely loved the way it was lit and loved the shot of
Wolverine pulling the sword out of his chest!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #274
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I really enjoyed the minister/window/pool scene.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #275
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't care about having more mutants in the film. In fact, I would have been happy if Wolverine was the only mutant in it. He was in the original story.

I'm saying I think they should have eliminated Viper and Yun's character's completely. So in the film Wolverine visits the old man, and the next day, suddenly his healing factor is going wonky, without knowing how the heck it happened. It would be revealed at the end that it was Yashida tech that did it.

Though, if I had a magic wand and could redo parts of this movie, then I also would have taken out the twist with the old man and made Shingen the main villain, and added some of the wonderful personal drama that existed between Shingen and Wolverine in the original story.
Do you find that
Yashida is also partially based on comic Shingen? I know I do and it helps me appreciate the movie a little more.
YMMV.

Closed Thread