Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #301
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Logan taking on the Yakuza on the bullet train before they ended up outside was the closest I've seen him to his mansion takedown in X2.
Well for what it's worth, X3's forest fight is pretty much identical to the mansion scene, just in a different location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
At this point I don't know what y'all want when you talk about berserker rage.
Agreed, same here.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #302
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Taking time to explain certain motivations yet letting the audience sort through minor points was VERY smart in my book.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Yukio said that Yashida kept one eye in the past and one in the future. So, having a massive Silver Samurai made from adamantium serves both purposes. It was a life support armor that extended his life and a tribute to the original Silver Samurai concept.

Yashida clearly needed access to Logan's bone marrow. That proves a big problem when every bone is coated in adamantium. Thus, cutting the claws was the easier access point and the configuration of his drills were set up for those extraction points.

I also loved that Shingen pointed out that he covered for Yashida and he funneled billions to the project.

That's VERY smart writing even if it takes the viewer a bit of effort to pay attention.
The writing wasn't bad...until you realize
there was absolutely no reason for Yashida to fake his death. Then everything kind of falls apart

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #303
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Just got back, and I really loved it. The cinematography, acting, editing, fight choreography, character development, etc. was all top notch. Hugh Jackman's best performance as Wolverine by far, he knocked it out of the park. I wish the music was more memorable, it felt far too generic, but that's how most movies are nowadays, I guess. There are pieces of the third act I would've changed, as well.

-If the old man looked up to Logan so much, telling stories about him to his granddaughter and whatnot, why would he want to ruin that friendship/bond by stealing what Wolverine didn't want to give away?

Overall though, I loved it. 9/10. My second favorite X-Men universe movie yet.
Well...

The old man wanted to live! That's why he asked Logan first but had that contingency in place. The Samurai armor was life support but also a way to force Logan in to giving up his mortality. Yashida truly thought of himself as noble. He could do more with immortality than Logan did. It makes perfect sense and actually is quite deep.

The more I break it down the more I liked the plot of this film and think the writing is superb.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #304
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Hm, I see what you mean. I understood why he built the suit, but not why he would forcefully take Wolverine's regenerative healing. It felt weird because it seemed like Yashida admired Logan for saving his life, but then did a dick move like hurting Wolverine and taking his powers. But I see now that he wanted to live more than he cared about Wolverine.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!

Last edited by EliteF50; 07-27-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #305
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Yashida never stopped believing he was doing Wolverine a big favor based on the research of Wolverine. Even at the end. Looking back at what Mariko said about her grandpa's story about the magical man it's all the more sad that Wolverine and the nuclear blast aftermath had that affect on him to go down that path.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #306
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
The writing wasn't bad...until you realize
there was absolutely no reason for Yashida to fake his death. Then everything kind of falls apart

Yashida's "death" was the catalyst to everything that occurred including forcing Shingen's hand. Yashida knew this. Moving him to the armored life support was the next phase. His funeral also kept Logan in Japan. Remember, the plane was ready to take him back in the morning.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #307
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Hm, I see what you mean. I understood why he built the suit, but not why he would forcefully take Wolverine's regenerative healing. It felt weird because it seemed like Yashida admired Logan for saving his life, but then did a dick move like hurting Wolverine and taking his powers. But I see now that he wanted to live more than he cared about Wolverine.
Because Wolverine wouldn't give it to him willingly. Yashida assumed that Logan had wanted to die based on the state he was in when they tracked him down. When it turned out he didn't want to give that up, they tried to take it forcefully.

Yashida had become obessed with mutants after his life had been saved by Logan in WWII, but the obession had ruined him. It's why his son hated mutants so much. During his fight with Wolverine, Shingen even yells that it was "their kind" that brought ruin to his family.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #308
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Him covered in blood with body parts lying around him after he's done.
How unnecessarily excessive.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #309
Mrpaul
Spider-Sting

The Wolverine had good moments. 8/10
Saw a kid with a Spider-Man hat

Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #310
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
At this point I don't know what y'all want when you talk about berserker rage.
Agreed.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #311
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Yashida never stopped believing he was doing Wolverine a big favor based on the research of Wolverine. Even at the end. Looking back at what Mariko said about her grandpa's story about the magical man it's all the more sad that Wolverine and the nuclear blast aftermath had that affect on him to go down that path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Because Wolverine wouldn't give it to him willingly. Yashida assumed that Logan had wanted to die based on the state he was in when they tracked him down. When it turned out he didn't want to give that up, they tried to take it forcefully.

Yashida had become obessed with mutants after his life had been saved by Logan in WWII, but the obession had ruined him. It's why his son hated mutants so much. During his fight with Wolverine, Shingen even yells that it was "their kind" that brought ruin to his family.
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Agreed.
Repost: Pretty much this, but less... anime. No muscle bulging or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...zCqCgjla8&t=38

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #312
Ize19

I loved this movie, and Wolverine in this movie, so much! I thought it had great characterization, great action scenes, great humor, and a great, emotional story. For me, at least, this mystery really worked.

As seen in the very first scene of this movie, Yashida's fatal flaw was his fear of death, which is especially egregious when you consider his samurai heritage. After Logan saved his life, he used it to do good, and to create a financial empire. He also became obsessed with living forever, and this led to his downfall.

When Yukio first takes Wolverine to meet Yashida, she mentions that there have been several assassination attempts, by the Yakuza. As we see later on, Shingen has extensive Yakuza ties, primarily through his future son-in-law Noburo. This tells us that all is not well within Clan Yashida, as there is a power struggle going on for control of the company.

While Shingen may have covered for his father's spending, nothing tells us he did this to be a good son. Much more likely, he didn't expect his father's attempts to extend his life to succeed, and wanted the stockholders to still be there when he took over the company. Similarly, while Yashida may have given control of the company to Mariko, this was not out of altruism, but out of a desire to have a public face whom he could control, a puppet that would shield him from the attacks that were being directed at him.

Why did he not kidnap Logan when he was first poisoned? Because then he would be handing Shingen his company on a silver platter. Don't forget, Shingen knew his father's ambitions, knew that Wolverine was relying on them to get home, oh yeah, and had the Minister of Justice engaged to his daughter! If Yashida had overstepped like that, Noburo and Shingen would have him captured and disgraced, with no will to make sure Shingen didn't get his hands on the company. I know it sounds funny, but Yashida figured he had a better chance against Wolverine, then against the combined might of the Yakuza and law enforcement his son and his partner could bring to bear.

Viper was a "chemist... and a capitolist" so she joined Yashida for the research opportunities and the money. Harada was really interesting; he obeyed in order to end Mariko's engagement, to honor his lord, and to be with the woman he loved, but you could see him questioning the methods of his allies the whole film, until ultimately he turns on them.

In the end, I thought it had a cohesive plot, great characters, and the first film Wolverine that can stand proudly next to his comicbook counterpart. 9/10

Old 07-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #313
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I liked the movie overall. I really enjoyed the contemplative, deliberate pace, most of the characters were well drawn especially the two asian actresses and I liked when the fight scenes were small but down and dirty. The movie also looked beautiful and it was a great idea to set it after X3.

The cons I could assertain were the awful performance from another movie by the chick playing viper, the bullet train fight was poorly handled and the horribly frustrating 3rd act.

The movie had built a nice realish grounded fantasy world and suddenly we get a huge poorly handled tonal shift to comicbook silliness. Plus the story doesn't really hold up that well when you think about it but that would be more forgivable if the tone hadn't wildly changed. I smell Fox meddling with the 3rd act, it doesn't even fit the rest of the film.

Overall I really enjoyed the flick and it was ten times better than the awful last film so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining at all. Also it was nice seeing Wolverine actually acting like Wolverine for the most part.

RATING: 7.5/10

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #314
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I liked the movie overall. I really enjoyed the contemplative, deliberate pace, most of the characters were well drawn especially the two asian actresses and I liked when the fight scenes were small but down and dirty. The movie also looked beautiful and it was a great idea to set it after X3.

The cons I could assertain were the awful performance from another movie by the chick playing viper, the bullet train fight was poorly handled and the horribly frustrating 3rd act.

The movie had built a nice realish grounded fantasy world and suddenly we get a huge poorly handled tonal shift to comicbook silliness. Plus the story doesn't really hold up that well when you think about it but that would be more forgivable if the tone hadn't wildly changed. I smell Fox meddling with the 3rd act, it doesn't even fit the rest of the film.

Overall I really enjoyed the flick and it was ten times better than the awful last film so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining at all. Also it was nice seeing Wolverine actually acting like Wolverine for the most part.

RATING: 7.5/10
That was one my favourite action pieces of the year, thought it was superbly well done, shame you didnt dig it but each to their own

Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #315
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I didn't love the bullet train sequence but really enjoyed how restrained it was. They didn't feel the need to make it look "cooler", just two dudes holding on for dear life going 300 mph.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #316
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
I didn't love the bullet train sequence but really enjoyed how restrained it was. They didn't feel the need to make it look "cooler", just two dudes holding on for dear life going 300 mph.
I saw it in 3D which perhaps made a difference, Im not sure, when I see it in 2D tomorrow I can make a better comparison.

Was certainly better than the trailers made it look.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #317
Liam_H
Side-Kick

A big aspect of it is seeing them trying not to fall off and jump over obstacles. Can't really show that in the trailers considering how quick they usually edit it.

Heard the 3D was virtually nonexistent.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #318
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ize19 View Post
In the end, I thought it had a cohesive plot, great characters, and the first film Wolverine that can stand proudly next to his comicbook counterpart. 9/10
2nd.

I won't say that Wolverine was portrayed as well in X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, or X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but you can't really knock how the character was handled in X-Men.

On another note, I'm just glad that with this movie, we can finally put to bed the idea that somehow Fox and Co. is trying to "ignore" X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

The references to both movies in The Wolverine were clear as day.

I will say this though... with the way The Wolverine opened up, it really had me wishing that the cut alternate ending in X-Men 3 of Logan going back to the bar in Canada from X-Men was part of the original, "official" cut. It would have made for a perfect connection between the 2 films. This movie was more "X-Men 4" than it was "Wolverine 2" in that regard.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 07-27-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #319
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
A big aspect of it is seeing them trying not to fall off and jump over obstacles. Can't really show that in the trailers considering how quick they usually edit it.

There the odd good moments, the bomb at the start, the bullet train, the ninja fight in the snow but by and large it was pretty redundant. Its just not that sort of movie.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #320
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Another great entry to the X-Men series that is finally picking up the pieces after Origins. I love how they managed to keep going with the timeline and use vague details though Jean and Logan. I also love how they didn't feel like they had to meet a standard by going louder and bigger with the story (well until the end). As for the ending, they definitely hit a misstep after doing so well for the majority of the film, I wonder if it was a studio interference. The twist was pretty halfassed and random, it really felt like one of those Scooby Doo reveals. As for Viper, I felt she thrown in just to have another mutant in the movie. Overall though despite the dumb ending, it was still a great movie.
8.5/10

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #321
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I saw it in 3D which perhaps made a difference, Im not sure, when I see it in 2D tomorrow I can make a better comparison.

Was certainly better than the trailers made it look.
Quote:

Could be that I saw it in XD, but I thought the 3D was pretty great. It never felt nonexistent at anytime which shocked me.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #322
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Could be that I saw it in XD, but I thought the 3D was pretty great. It never felt nonexistent at anytime which shocked me.
I'm glad to see it in both to compare.

Its just a shame that ninja fight was not longer as in 3D that really did look beautifully shot.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #323
JP
Smelly

Been trying to properly gather my thoughts all day. Just home from work and I decided to give it ago.

Initially after viewing this I came here and gave it an 8. That could still be the case, but I'm sure I'll need to see it again before I figure out a proper rating.

What I keep saying in my head over and over again is how much this film got me excited about the character again. The last time most of us left a theater NOT being completely annoyed by Logan was 10 years ago (unless you count the awesome FC cameo). Jackman just nailed it. By far his best performance as the character, and it mirrored who he is in the comics perfectly. He was a brooding, angry, killing machine. He gave NO ****s and it was a joy to watch. I also loved that he looked crazy animalistic and unattractive at many points during the story.

Yukio was my favorite new character, with Miriko a close second.

Loved how it tied into X3 and my girl Famke rocked it. Glad the series is finally moving forward. And in such a stellar way, with FC and this film both being pretty equal in quality for me.

LOVED the score. That harmonica was beautifully atmospheric.

My complaints are about the same as everyone else. That 6-10 minute stretch at the end was just bleh. So many shoulda woulda couldas that its pointless even listing them. But once that's over we get back to great character moments and the film itself ends beautifully.

And, of course, DAT MID-CREDITS SCENE.

All in all, I can't wait to own this one.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #324
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Been trying to properly gather my thoughts all day. Just home from work and I decided to give it ago.

Initially after viewing this I came here and gave it an 8. That could still be the case, but I'm sure I'll need to see it again before I figure out a proper rating.

What I keep saying in my head over and over again is how much this film got me excited about the character again. The last time most of us left a theater NOT being completely annoyed by Logan was 10 years ago (unless you count the awesome FC cameo). Jackman just nailed it. By far his best performance as the character, and it mirrored who he is in the comics perfectly. He was a brooding, angry, killing machine. He gave NO ****s and it was a joy to watch. I also loved that he looked crazy animalistic and unattractive at many points during the story.

Yukio was my favorite new character, with Miriko a close second.

Loved how it tied into X3 and my girl Famke rocked it. Glad the series is finally moving forward. And in such a stellar way, with FC and this film both being pretty equal in quality for me.

LOVED the score. That harmonica was beautifully atmospheric.

My complaints are about the same as everyone else. That 6-10 minute stretch at the end was just bleh. So many shoulda woulda couldas that its pointless even listing them. But once that's over we get back to great character moments and the film itself ends beautifully.

And, of course, DAT MID-CREDITS SCENE.

All in all, I can't wait to own the directors cut.

and edited for you

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #325
pb0000

I thought film was Ok. The plot was confusing and too contrived. There are basically two plot lines coincidently happening at the same time.

The Shingen/Mariko plot didn't really connect with the Yashida/Logan plot. It was really never clear who was the one in danger, Logan or Mariko. It turns out they were both in danger for completely unrelated reasons.

Viper/Yashida could have easily captured Logan while he was asleep, given that they managed to get the Matrix bug in him without him knowing. It seems like the Mariko/Shingen plot was tacked on so that she and Logan had a reason to go into hiding together. Mariko wasn't even in danger at the end since Yashida was never going to hurt her so Logan didn't even have to go after her.

It would have been better if Mariko was somehow involved in tricking Logan into giving up his healing factor to Yashida. Which seemed like the case earlier in the film when the Yakuza tried to kidnap her. Mariko never seem scared about being abducted and didn't even make too much of an effort to hideout after the bullet train.

I really didn't like how Silver Samurai was depicted in the movie. A robotic suit? really?? SS is supposed to be a badass warrior and and even match for Logan.

Closed Thread