1 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #326
Slushy
The Man

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

What I liked:

Great movie. Definitely made up for the piss poor X-Men 3 and the disappointing Origins. Lots of action with a nice mix of comedy. Japanese culture has always fascinated me so I enjoyed the scenery and the film introducing people to stuff I was familiar with like death before dishonor, the love hotels, and not to leave your chopsticks in rice.

I also thought Yashida's technology was cool like that giant pin cushion bed.

Wolverine being a total badass. He was more bloodthirsty in this than he was in X-Men United.

Glad that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Jean Grey's cameo
wasn't just for one scene. It reminded me alot of Cloud thinking about Aries in Advent Children. Logan's soul searching in this was done so much better than it was in the previous film.

My favorite part of the movie was when Wolverine became "mortal". Seeing him bleed and weakened by his injuries made his character all the more interesting. Kind of like when James Bond was shot in Skyfall.

The cliffhanger ending. They got some explaining to do in the next film!

What I didn't like:

Of course, this movie isn't without its faults. Wolverine has a hallucination of a samurai attacking him (Instead of Silver Samurai doing a sneak attack and teleporting) in one scene for no reason since there was no follow-up. Uh...okay?

I'm confused as to when Wolverine's Japanese bar scene in Origins took place in the timeline.

I didn't like HOW Wolverine lost his powers. It should've been getting hit by that magic sword instead of
The Matrix tadpole.

I didn't care for the Poison Ivy character. She got too much screen time.

And my biggest gripe was the twist even though I should've seen it coming with
Yashida's
heel turn. While Will Yun Lee did good in his role, Harada was completely wasted as they basically busted an Iron Man 3 here except this film handled way better.
Yashida was supposed to be Wolverine's buddy and made it seem like he wanted to take away Wolverine's powers as a favor returned before he died for selfless reasons.
I would've enjoyed that better than the 180 they gave us that I couldn't buy into. It was like when they turned
The Old Man
into a villain in Robocop 2. Come on! Despite it being too big, I liked the Silver Samurai design, but
Harada
should've been in that damn suit, not
fu**ing Yashida!

Wolverine > Iron Man 3 > Origins > Last Stand

Last edited by Slushy; 07-27-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #327
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Is this critic praising Jackman or not? I am unable to make out.
Quote:
In The Wolverine, Hugh Jackman takes the live-action superhero body to a disturbing new place. And, no, it's not the gym. Well, it's not only the gym. Most of the movie is him in and out of a white tank top, his arms and shoulders abubble and athrob, the veins flowing with god knows what. His body is beyond fitness, beyond fat, beyond muscles, beyond ready comprehension. It is beyond the human body as the movies have previously depicted it. I've never seen anything like this, and I've seen John Travolta in Staying Alive, Demi Moore in G.I. Jane, and Sylvester Stallone in everything. Jackman surpasses what they've done. Yes, he seems performance-enhanced and computer-generated. But his body appears to be … acting.

He has pumped himself all the way up, after having worked himself down to nothing to bench press the show tunes in Les Misérables. Jackman placed a similar stress on the character's body in the previous movie. But this time there's no glory in any of it. There's no sexiness, either. All Jackman does here is strain and grunt and suffer. You rarely see an actor work this hard just to express more work, but he's made a complete surrender to the exercise of exercise. When Travolta danced in his loincloth (under Stallone's direction, too), it was vanity. When Moore shaved her head and did one-arm push-ups, it was politics. With Jackman, it's neither. Whether he's cutting open his chest and feeling around for his heart, pretending to slice into the roof of a speeding train, or holding on to grating that overlooks a cliff, Jackman is giving us the camp of martyrdom. His charisma has gone to his biceps and his chest and his delts and his abs. It's not sweat that's pouring out of those muscles. It's The Messiah.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...or-woody-allen

Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #328
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Is this critic praising Jackman or not? I am unable to make out.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...or-woody-allen
"Jackman placed a similar stress on the character's body in the previous movie. But this time there's no glory in any of it. There's no sexiness, either. All Jackman does here is strain and grunt and suffer"

I get the impression they know nothing about the character of Wolverine, he's not meant to be sexy, hes meant to be a beast. He plays a character who strains, grunts and suffers.

But then they seem to be reviewing his body rather than the film itself, I'm not really sure what they are on about

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #329
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
"Jackman placed a similar stress on the character's body in the previous movie. But this time there's no glory in any of it. There's no sexiness, either. All Jackman does here is strain and grunt and suffer"

I get the impression they know nothing about the character of Wolverine, he's not meant to be sexy, hes meant to be a beast. He plays a character who strains, grunts and suffers.

But then they seem to be reviewing his body rather than the film itself, I'm not really sure what they are on about
I think the critic is trying to be clever or something. He's praising the body, almost calling it outstanding, and then saying that's it, that's all there is to his performance. Atleast that's what it sounds like.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #330
Galactus123
Side-Kick

Some little Spoilers! I liked the movie. I hated the X-Men Origins: Wolverine but this was a lot better. Story was good and Hugh Jackman was great as Wolverine like always. There were few things I didn't like: It was stupid that that Wolverine killed a lot people with his claws but there was no blood. I know they want the movie to be PG-13 but it was just ridiculous. Other thing was to do with the story
Other thing was that they ruined Silver Samurai. I haven't read many Wolverine comics but I know how the character looks like. Why did they have to make him a huge CGI-robot? Normal samurai with cool silver armor would have been much better:

4/5

Last edited by Galactus123; 07-27-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #331
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I still didn't get the full on berserker rage I wanted, but damn if this wasn't the best depiction of Wolverine yet. The only thing that bugged me was the heavy reliance on Jean as the temptation on the other side of mortality. I'd have liked to seen a few people from his life. But I really enjoyed the exploration of his immortality (or, at least, extreme longevity). As far as the rest of his personality, I thought it was just spot on. A caring jackass.

Another strong point was the Japanese setting, both as an environment and the characters. This is especially true for the women, Mariko and Yukio. Tao Okamoto really didn't have a whole lot of material as Mariko, but she made quite an impact. She really held her own along Hugh Jackman, and her softness contrasted so well against Wolverine's brutishness. Rila Fukushima had substantially more material, and surprised me as a stand out in the film. For her first truly big role, she showed a lot of raw talent.

Overall, the movie was more entertaining than I expected. The audience was about as vocal as The Avengers, which is the most fun I may have had watching a movie. They laughed in all the right spots (and laughter was frequent), and cringed when appropriate. Mangold's direction really shone, and elevated the movie out of a 5-6 territory into 7-8.

8/10 for me.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #332
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
He looked pretty unleashed against Shingen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
At this point I don't know what y'all want when you talk about berserker rage.
For me personally it would be the difference between the character shouting in whilst slashing(as in these movies) and him screaming whilst slashing as seen perhaps even in the 90's show.

I guess we are just acclimated to a certain level with different films. I mean I personally got more of that berserker mentality the final act in this movie in my avy here, and that's still not what I'm talking about.

With logan, it's really all in the eyes, it's less about anger and more about losing a modicum of humanity..etc.
to each his own.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #333
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I still didn't get the full on berserker rage I wanted, but damn if this wasn't the best depiction of Wolverine yet. The only thing that bugged me was the heavy reliance on Jean as the temptation on the other side of mortality. I'd have liked to seen a few people from his life. But I really enjoyed the exploration of his immortality (or, at least, extreme longevity). As far as the rest of his personality, I thought it was just spot on. A caring jackass.

Another strong point was the Japanese setting, both as an environment and the characters. This is especially true for the women, Mariko and Yukio. Tao Okamoto really didn't have a whole lot of material as Mariko, but she made quite an impact. She really held her own along Hugh Jackman, and her softness contrasted so well against Wolverine's brutishness. Rila Fukushima had substantially more material, and surprised me as a stand out in the film. For her first truly big role, she showed a lot of raw talent.

Overall, the movie was more entertaining than I expected. The audience was about as vocal as The Avengers, which is the most fun I may have had watching a movie. They laughed in all the right spots (and laughter was frequent), and cringed when appropriate. Mangold's direction really shone, and elevated the movie out of a 5-6 territory into 7-8.

8/10 for me.
The audience when I watched yesterday was great too! Laughed at the right times I.E. Logan in the bathtub scene and cringed at the right times I.E. when the Japanese soldiers stabbed themselves at the beginning during Nagasaki and
When Logan cut himself open to take that leech/spider thing out of his heart
, they even applauded in the end...Movie was a lot darker and bloodier than i expected.

Last edited by righthooksrus86; 07-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #334
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

My audience at the advance screening in NY on Tuesday was awesome. My audience at the 10pm show on Thursday was like they'd been sedated before they got to the theater. They barely responded to the end credits scene too. I hate going to the movies in NJ, at least that theater. They're always like that.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #335
Double B
Side-Kick

I have never been in the cinema with an excited crowd once in my life.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #336
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Advance and midnight screenings will always get the most excitement and reactions since they are mostly comprised of fans. I didn't get anything from my viewing, which is sad since I actually like reactions. I'm also in NJ, which danoyse says is bad. lol

Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #337
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

What was the post credits scene?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #338
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
See the movie!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #339
speno94
Side-Kick

I'm seeing the film tommorrow, but one question: did you see the shot of the traditional SS amror at the funeral like in the Ronin featurette and the shot of the traditional armour attacking Wolverine in a hallucination. Did you think they needed more traditional armour moments?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #340
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
See the movie!
But I need spoilers!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #341
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post

Yashida's "death" was the catalyst to everything that occurred including forcing Shingen's hand. Yashida knew this. Moving him to the armored life support was the next phase. His funeral also kept Logan in Japan. Remember, the plane was ready to take him back in the morning.
Except Shingen's hand didnt need to be forced. The only plan as to capture Logan, with Yashidas resources, he obviously didnt need to fake his death to keep Logan in Japan. And since no one was in a position tobstripbYashiea of control of his company until he died, he didnt need to fake his death to get to the armor to extend his life.

All the death plot did was jeapordize Mariko's life, and Logan's. And waste Yashidas valuable time. It made no sense.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049

Last edited by danoyse; 07-27-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Fixed spoiler tag
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #342
Conundrum
Side-Kick

I was really impressed by the film, having gone in with fairly low expectations. It's up there with First Class for me.

Of course, there are a few things I would have preferred to be different. One thing i don't understand is, why didn't Logan stay in Japan at the end?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #343
Slushy
The Man

Quote:
Quote:
Two years later after the events of The Wolverine...

Logan is at an airport to board a flight and notices a report on a nearby TV about the huge technological advances Trask Industries has been making. Just as he's about to pass through a metal detector, he sees metallic objects begin to float around him. He turns around only to come face to face with Ian McKellen!

Popping his (still bone) claws, he attempts to attack, but Magneto keeps him in place telling the savage Canadian he should join his cause because there's a grave danger approaching. A threat to all mutantkind. (Not sure if this is even more foreshadowing to Bolivar and/or Larry Trask or maybe even...APOCALYPSE?!!)

Wolverine throws the offer back in his face, asking why he should trust anything Magneto says. But as he does, we notice the people in the background come to a complete standstill, somehow frozen in place. Magneto says he knew Wolverine wouldn't believe him, which is why he brought a friend.

Wolverine looks in disbelief as Patrick Stewart approaches in his wheelchair, weaving around the people he's brought to a stop with his psychic powers. Yes, Professor X is alive and well and back in his body somehow! Wolverine asks how it's even posisble, and Xavier replies, "As I told you once before, you are not the only one with gifts."

Last edited by Slushy; 07-27-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #344
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
I'm seeing the film tommorrow, but one question: did you see the shot of the traditional SS amror at the funeral like in the Ronin featurette and the shot of the traditional armour attacking Wolverine in a hallucination. Did you think they needed more traditional armour moments?
Yes more of this would have been perfect. It nice to have in but was all too fleeting.

Mind you I kind of ended up liking Robo-Samurai more than I thought I would, not only did it look badass it had a purpose to its existance.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #345
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Literally just got back from seeing this and I loved it. It was so refreshing to see a real character driven story.yes it had action which is something I feel they maybe could have had just a little bit more if but it really didn't matter. The film got me straight away with the bear, that scene really choked me up from there I was hooked.

I've read some say Viper was a waste in the film, I didn't see that at all. She was very instrumental to the plot, been Yashida's chemist and the fact that
she was the one who used the micro spider thing to suppress Logan's powers
shows that she wasn't a waste at all.

I found that I really fell in love with the characters of Mariko and Yukio, it was obvious Mariko and Logan were going to fall for each other but you saw it happen very naturally. With Yukio you saw here and Logan become friends and I found myself loving her even more when she went to great lengths to protect Logan.

I don't really have any major beefs with the film except the twist at the end. As someone who hasn't read the comics all that much and purposeful bought the Frank Miller/Chris Claremont book but hasn't read it yet I was expecting to be surprised but I wasn't, I knew
that Yashida wasn't dead and at the end he was the Silver Samurai.
. But it's so hard for films to catch anyone out these days anyway.

I walked out thinking several things:

- Hugh Jackman got to go places he hasn't been able to get yet with the character, that guy has put so much effort into playing Wolverine this was the film he deserved.
- Viper was HOT!
- the bullet train sequence
- X-Men: The Last Stand didn't seem as much of a waste anymore after the Jean subplot. This was very well done.
- that end credit scene was amazing, such a simple yet effective tie-in to the Days of Future Past.
- so guess he'll have bone claws in Future Past (at least at the start)

All in all I think it's an 8.5/10 which may change when I see the uncut version which i cannot wait for

X-Men movie ranking

1. X-Men First Class
2. X-Men
3. The Wolverine
4. X-Men 2
5. X-Men 3: The Last Stand
6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 07-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #346
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
I was really impressed by the film, having gone in with fairly low expectations. It's up there with First Class for me.

Of course, there are a few things I would have preferred to be different. One thing i don't understand is, why didn't Logan stay in Japan at the end?
Because he has found his purpose again, a soldier ready to fight, he's moved on from Jean let her go and ready to get back in the fight............ready to go back to the Xmen!!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #347
Marvin
Side-Kick

Ignoring how in the comics, no healing factor kinda makes life miserable for someone with a metal laced skeleton, not really an issue though. I was curious what was going on with his claws popping in and out. Figured that would at least "hurt more".

Was hopping he'd have to constantly bandage them up after use. I think this was the level of down to earth "pain" the film was missing for me. Still, was great to finally see jackman even being react to bullets like a guy with a nervous system again.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #348
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Ignoring how in the comics, no healing factor kinda makes life miserable for someone with a metal laced skeleton, not really an issue though. I was curious what was going on with his claws popping in and out. Figured that would at least "hurt more".

Was hopping he'd have to constantly bandage them up after use. I think this was the level of down to earth "pain" the film was missing for me. Still, was great to finally see jackman even being react to bullets like a guy with a nervous system again.
I got the feeling, hs healing hadn't title given away it was just getting weaker. By the time he was on the bed, pulling the spider out of his heart there was blood where his claws came out. So I think it was just gradual, it's a shame they didn't really explain that though.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #349
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I got the feeling, hs healing hadn't title given away it was just getting weaker. By the time he was on the bed, pulling the spider out of his heart there was blood where his claws came out. So I think it was just gradual, it's a shame they didn't really explain that though.
His healing factor was weakened, it wasn't gone entirely. He was shot 4 or 5 times and he was up and around much quicker than a normal person would have been.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #350
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

8/10 for me. Just saw it today. I enjoyed it very much, but I felt it had some significant flaws. Still think it's a great film, but I can't deny I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel better than this.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Closed Thread